Ristolainen to Flyers

6 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

@flyercanuck

And anyone else who would like to chime in.

So Montreal wants to move Petry.

So there are proposals on the table.

JVR

for 

Petry

And Montreal retains 1 mill of his salary per season.

Which would bring him down to 5.2 mill X 3 years.

Would you do that deal I know it isn't great but it would signal they are moving on from Risto.

Which is awesome to me considering they would avoid a 6 year 6+ per season deal with the skating Klondike bar.

And be rid of JVR I have to think long and hard about this....

I take anything for JVR

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

Unless this is a hedge because Ellis wants out or some weirdness. I am having a hard time seeing where the value in trading for Petry lies. 

could be Ellis is only 50/50 whether he ever plays again we don’t know but maybe Fletcher does. As far as Petry…

On 2/26/2022 at 4:58 PM, flyercanuck said:

Wonder why we suck?

We’ve all followed the Flyers for too long not to know why the same idiots that hired CF and then let him overpay Hayes (just one example), well there’s no mystery why they see value in trading for Petry. He was a solid 40+ pts for 5 or 6 seasons straight. RH shot! Oooh just think he would turn around the PP overnight!

I bet in player meetings they’re drooling over lovely scenarios like that and if anyone points out the obvious he gets snubbed. I hope like hell I’m wrong.

Paging Danny B here’s where you earn your money. Tell the legends in the FO, in no uncertain terms, acquiring Jeff Petry is a mistake. 

15 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Paging Danny B here’s where you earn your money. Tell the legends in the FO, in no uncertain terms, acquiring Jeff Petry is a mistake

And then call your agent and see who's looking for a GM....or equipment manager

1 hour ago, CoachX said:

If true, did he turn it down? I'm hoping he wants out so bad they have no choice but to move him

Well depends on the report you believe you can't accept something you were never offered....

6 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

With an unknown top pair, it’d be irresponsible of the Flyers to give another $4 or $5 million to a bottom-four defenseman. If the Flyers want a physical defenseman that hits and blocks shots, go pick one up in free agency for a few million. THEN THEY SHOULDN'T HAVE TRADED HAGG. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I think this trade deadline could be an opportunity to walk away from the Ristolainen experiment with as little damage as possible.

I don't think the trade and the idea of bringing him in for 2nd pair duty was a terrible one. However, the results haven't been good enough to continue the journey with Rasmus.

I think a big extension would be a mistake, recouping an asset or two to allow him to play "playoff hockey" is a win for everyone. 

The idea was tried, it didn't work, move on.

Don't keep throwing money and cap space at it.

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

17 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I don't think the trade and the idea of bringing him in for 2nd pair duty was a terrible one

I agree with everything except this line.  For me, it was a disasater from the inception of the thought.   He was terrible in Buffalo.  I still argue that he was likely the root of the stink there.     

He's simply a terrible defenseman.   I don't understand what Flyer (mis-)management continues to see in him, but the fact they even entertain it is proof-positve that they collectively have absolutely no business attending a hockey game, much less running a team.

2 defensemen, 4 picks (a 13th overall, 2 2nds, and a 7th) for a lousy bottom-4 dman with a loser complex.   I'm not sure what the definition of "terrible idea" is, but this has to be pretty close.

• Like 2
  • Good Post 1

1 minute ago, ruxpin said:

2 defensemen, 4 picks (a 13th overall, 2 2nds, and a 7th) for a lousy bottom-4 dman with a loser complex.   I'm not sure what the definition of "terrible idea"

Notice I didn't say it was worth the assets given up...I didn't say that, because I don't think that.

On it's face, getting a good skating, large, defenseman with a big shot and an affinity for hitting is a good idea.

RR possess all of those qualities. It didn't work out.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, mojo1917 said:

Notice I didn't say it was worth the assets given up...I didn't say that, because I don't think that.

On it's face, getting a good skating, large, defenseman with a big shot and an affinity for hitting is a good idea.

RR possess all of those qualities. It didn't work out.

He does possess all those qualities. An NHL hockey brain he does not.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I don't think the trade and the idea of bringing him in for 2nd pair duty was a terrible one. However, the results haven't been good enough to continue the journey with Rasmus.

Jeez, why don’t you just say, “it’s not you, it’s me.”

He was terrible with Buffalo.  Advanced stats said he was one of the worst defenseman in the league.  We traded for him anyway and got exactly the crap we should have anticipated.  After choking this down, they want to sign up for seconds.  That’s Flyers management.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

think this trade deadline could be an opportunity to walk away from the Ristolainen experiment with as little damage as possible.

That is all I want. Hey they took a swing and struke out.

Own it don't Mcdud this thing and move on.

Whatever they get will be positive in my eyes because he DIDN'T get a 6 year deal.

If they resign this guy i will have a meltdown...

Edited by OccamsRazor
bourbon isn't working
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, SCFlyguy said:

Jeez, why don’t you just say, “it’s not you, it’s me.”

because that was never my style.

I said, it's not working, don't call me, don't be where you know I go, and good luck.

Also, as we discussed-ad nauseum-  The coaches probably thought they could "fix" him. I'm sure they're not the only coaches that think that.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Also, as we discussed-ad nauseum-  The coaches probably thought they could "fix" him. I'm sure they're not the only coaches that think that.

This.

Let's be honest this isn't the first time someone has done this in any sports with a prospect who SEEMS to have all the tools in the tool box which he does.

He just needs to see the Wizard for a brain and maybe the Flyer brass thought they were that wizard. So here is to hoping they learned their lesson and Let's move on.

When they trade went down we heard all the negative chatter and I was will to give it the benefit of the doubt mostly because I don't watch Sabres games. I think you, me and rad were the only ones will to do this rad more so expected maybe because he watches more Sabre games but I can't say for sure.

Aways abort the mission...

• Like 1

@OccamsRazor

Thanks for the link - I was saying "a-men" the whole time I was reading that article.

Same site there's another story about the $6mil/6-year offer. It quotes Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman who says it isn't true, and "I had heard the number was somewhere between $4mil and $4.75."

Frankly I think the $4-$4.75 offer is more likely to be wrong. I can't imagine Chuck Fletcher low-balling his prize acquisition. Fingers crossed I'm wrong - maybe Fletcher does want to move on from RR and get what he can at the TD. It'd be nice to see some smart management from this guy - he owes us!

16 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

@OccamsRazor

Thanks for the link - I was saying "a-men" the whole time I was reading that article.

Same site there's another story about the $6mil/6-year offer. It quotes Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman who says it isn't true, and "I had heard the number was somewhere between $4mil and $4.75."

Frankly I think the $4-$4.75 offer is more likely to be wrong. I can't imagine Chuck Fletcher low-balling his prize acquisition. Fingers crossed I'm wrong - maybe Fletcher does want to move on from RR and get what he can at the TD. It'd be nice to see some smart management from this guy - he owes us!

Well I hope RR is done in Philly real soon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GratefulFlyers said:

maybe Fletcher does want to move on from RR and get what he can at the TD.

He's just publicly said otherwise on several occasions and repeated his desire to keep the player at the season ticket holder's meeting.

We just don't typically find NHL GMs who make big moves like this deciding one season later that they were, in fact, wrong and taken to the cleaners.

And this organization* doesn't admit mistakes unless they have an actual scapegoat.

Recall that many still blame AGM Hextall for Homer signing AndyMac for 6Y/$5M per after 26 games... He played most of one year on that deal in the AHL and was bought out before year six.

Happy to be wrong. Overjoyed. Thrilled. Ecstatic.

Staring Episode 2 GIF by The Office