Sanheim signs 2yr deal. $4.675M AVV

ruxpin

@Samifan

@pilldoc got to it right before I did.
No need to delete yours.
Yours can become a post in Rux's.... it is just as valid.

Only thing deleted was your comment to delete, so I deleted the comment asking to be deleted, so no further deletions are necessary. :shifty: 

Carry on with Sanheim discussion. :) 

• Thanks 1
  • Good Post 1

6 minutes ago, Samifan said:

mods- Please merge or delete mine.

ask and you shall receive .... :) 

Oh ...and yes ... I'm OK with this deal.

https://www.broadstreethockey.com/2021/8/21/22635762/travis-sanheim-flyers-agree-to-new-deal-rfa-arbitration-nhl-philadelphia-offseason-hockey-defenseman

Slight pay raise which I'm sure will be debated ad nauseum .

19 minutes ago, Samifan said:

Flyers now over cap space temporarily. Bye NAK

I found this ...

The Flyers now technically have -$643,523 in cap space, but are fine due to the ability to exceed the salary cap by ten percent in the offseason. However, it does put them in a precarious position when it comes to running a 23-man roster as opposed to just 22:

Barring a trade or reworking of the roster, it now looks like the Flyers are going to roll with a 22-man roster to start the year. That's the only way they can fit everyone under the $81.5 million cap ceiling, to my eyes. Can't fit 23 without moving somebody out.

— Charlie O'Connor (@charlieo_conn) August 21, 2021

1 minute ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Only thing deleted was your comment to delete, so I deleted the comment asking to be deleted, so no further deletions are necessary. :shifty:

are you sure deleting the rightfully deleted, deleted comment.  Deleting deleted comments can be delightful! LOL

• Like 2

Now the Flyers will only have a 22 man roster to roll with, as their management continues to drink the orange Kool-Aid. 2 yrs., 4.675 mil AAV for a 3rd pairing d-man. Club Med Orange, and the lack of organization business savvy...continues.

I like it.

2nd pair defenseman that didn't get a huge pay day because he had a lousy year while the rest of the team has a lousy year.

I don't go to arbitration, where the team will have to tell the arbitrator all the reasons the player sucks and why he shouldn't get X.  It's really hard to come back from that.   2 years is a decent "show me" and gives them time to decide what they have in York.   In the meantime, it's not bad for a 25 year old first round pick 2nd pair defenseman with some upside.

Rough room.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

So he's UFA at the end of this deal?

I believe.  And that's the risk in this.   It's also probably an appropriate hedge given his play last year and the *potential* that York makes him expendable.

I wonder whether the hangup was term or amount or both.  It seems it should have been the flyers that wanted longer term but maybe slightly lower AVV.

2 hours ago, ruxpin said:

I believe.  And that's the risk in this.   It's also probably an appropriate hedge given his play last year and the *potential* that York makes him expendable.

I wonder whether the hangup was term or amount or both.  It seems it should have been the flyers that wanted longer term but maybe slightly lower AVV.

I'd have preferred a slightly lower hit. But then slightly overpay is Fletchs' M.O.

• Like 2
  • Uggh... 1

12 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

I'd have preferred a slightly lower hit. But then slightly overpay is Fletchs' M.O.

Don't disagree.

I think, though, had they gone to arbitration it would have been very similar and potentially more (I don't think justifiably so, but you never know with arbitration).  But it would very likely have been one year.  There must be some hedging whether York will be ready for that in only one year. And probably concern about both Sanheim and Risto heading into UFA in the same offseason.  Might be more manageable this way.

Probably slightly high on merit, but sadly merit is not the only criteria (not sure if it really ever was, but it certainly is not now).

I'm wondering about only 22 players, though.  So now I'm thinking probably another small move.  If it's NAK, I'm okay with it   I'd like to see him for another year, but I won't be upset either.

On the other hand, *IF* York says "I'm here!" in camp, do you move Braun for that space? I think prevailing wisdom is let York develop in the A,  but I can see the temptation if he has a really good camp.  All this being *if.*

• Like 1

22 hours ago, ruxpin said:

I like it.

i'm ok with it. I don't think he is any better than Brandon Carlo and that is what i would have gave him per season.

4.1 mill.

But i can live with it...all they have to do is make paper roster moves to get below the cap.

Their will be a lot of auditions going on this season i expect them to be active this year weather it is good or bad some trades will go down this season. 

I can see young Travis being part of a nice package if need be. York could make that happen.

Or even Zamula maybe. If Risto plays out his mind Risto's needed increase could.

But if he ever shows the improvement as expected but on a consistent basis i can see him being extended too. So many ways Sanheim could end up.

Very interested in what the season holds.

:PopcornSmiley2: 

Edited by OccamsRazor
#boubonup
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, ruxpin said:

Don't disagree.

I think, though, had they gone to arbitration it would have been very similar and potentially more (I don't think justifiably so, but you never know with arbitration).  But it would very likely have been one year.  There must be some hedging whether York will be ready for that in only one year. And probably concern about both Sanheim and Risto heading into UFA in the same offseason.  Might be more manageable this way.

Probably slightly high on merit, but sadly merit is not the only criteria (not sure if it really ever was, but it certainly is not now).

I'm wondering about only 22 players, though.  So now I'm thinking probably another small move.  If it's NAK, I'm okay with it   I'd like to see him for another year, but I won't be upset either.

On the other hand, *IF* York says "I'm here!" in camp, do you move Braun for that space? I think prevailing wisdom is let York develop in the A,  but I can see the temptation if he has a really good camp.  All this being *if.*

Nate Thompson is a waste of a roster spot, I would rather keep NAK over him.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

Nate Thompson is a waste of a roster spot, I would rather keep NAK over him.

Nate Thompson is old. But he wins faceoffs and kills penalties.

NAK takes penalties. What else does he do?

I'd like to give NAK another year to make sure, but so far I don't see anything that says we'll remember him 10 minutes after he's gone.

I won't remember Thompson after he's gone, either, but at least he serves to help with something we completely sucked at last year.

I'd move Braun instead of either one of them just because he not only gets us under the cap, he gets you far enough under that you can make some call ups as needed.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I'd like to give NAK another year to make sure, but so far I don't see anything that says we'll remember him 10 minutes after he's gone.

I won't remember Thompson after he's gone, either, but at least he serves to help with something we completely sucked at last year.

I'd move Braun instead of either one of them just because he not only gets us under the cap, he gets you far enough under that you can make some call ups as needed.

They will more than likely take the players they need on the west coast trip to start the season and just use paper transactions to skirt the cap issues.

I'm good with that. We will know more about this team come the turn of 2022. 

By then we'll know if it is sell time or buy time....on a few players.

Chuckles can only try to redeem himself if Risto looks like a disaster move. 

Giroux and Coots future we'll know more about.

It could be time to move guys like Sanheim, NAK, JVR, Yandle Riskalaknow and Braun for whatever they can get in return that works best for the team.

York and Zamula's abilities could dictate these moves.

If Risto looks good JVR alone could be moved for his cap space with only one year left on his deal.

Cautiously optimistic.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, ruxpin said:

I don't go to arbitration, where the team will have to tell the arbitrator all the reasons the player sucks and why he shouldn't get X. 

I wouldn't have even done that. I would let his 15 points and -22 last year speak for themselves.

The point that this is an overpayment is valid. I think he's a ~$4m player. The extra $600k in many ways hamstrings the team.

I hope he lives up to it. It'd not the end of the world.

12 hours ago, ruxpin said:

Yes Thompson is old and as slow as a turtle, the Isles skated circles around him on the PK in the playoffs, so I’m not sure how valuable he is as a PK. NAK does take penalties but he does have a great shot and the ability to find open ice and get off some good scoring chances . Like you said we have to give him one more year, there were only two Flyers that had a good year , the entire team was horrible, so this is definitely NAKs last year to prove something. He needs to pick up the offense and cut down the penalties, but at least he hits people, unlike most of the team. We have a lot of good young right wings, Foerester,Wysdom, Brink and Allison so he may not be a Flyer for too long anyway. As for Braun, I hope Morin beats him out as the 7th guy, so we can get rid of him.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SCFlyguy said:

Name one player in the salary cap era who the Flyers payed too little for too few years and then couldn't resign because of that.

Just one.

Sean Couturier.

Wayne Simmonds was also a good value for most of his time with PHI.

• Like 3

A great year with a deep playoff run will help all this seem worth it.

A Cup of course is the final goal but this team isn't ready for that yet but a deep playoff run could mean so much to this young core coming into place.

Anything less like NOT making the playoffs would be a failure in my eyes i won't speak for anyone else.

Guess we'll see how camp and preseason go...

• Like 2

5 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

Sean Couturier.

Wayne Simmonds was also a good value for most of his time with PHI.

Not what I am asking for.  I am talking about examples of players the Flyers wanted to keep in UFA but lost them because the Flyers previously lowballed with $ or term, whether in arbitration or RFA.  I can't think of a single one.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SCFlyguy said:

Not what I am asking for.  I am talking about examples of players the Flyers wanted to keep in UFA but lost them because the Flyers previously lowballed with $ or term, whether in arbitration or RFA.  I can't think of a single one.

I can't either.

The closest I can come was Simmons.  He took a team friendly contact and when that came up, rather than pay him they traded him at the deadline to get something, anything for him.

I don't think that's a great example of what you're looking for, though.  His ability had diminished and they weren't going to resign.  But it's the closest I can come and is about along those lines.

Otherwise, no one comes to mind.