HFBoards defect joins this (these) forum(s) and tries to cast life to the board

GybonB

Hi. Newbie (rookie) here.

| I'm still a vacant member at the HFBoards, so i haven't completely left that place.

- man that is so toxic place these days, staff bullies members and vice versa, fans bully fans,

and the advertisement bombardment and the ever changing rules... that place has grown too large |

Hows things here?

Hawks boards here still alive?

I'm about 40, male, from Finland, you can call me AJ,

into lots of sports, most actually :), but hockey & football (aka soccer) the #1 & #2

After about 20 years, i got back to school last year,

studying to become a professional baker. (3 years)

Ive been an amateur photographer for 10+ years

and i'm some sort of artist lol ( tried to be anyways :)

I'm a easy going, honest, cool dude, who passionately likes all sports

• Like 3

Hi there, @GybonB

First off, welcome to HF.net.
Always nice to see new people on here.

Second, if you are expecting the bustle of activity here that you find on hfboards, I will tell you up front, you will be disappointed.
We are a very small, but tighter knit group here, and many of us are 'across the board' NHL fans that discuss all teams...though obviously, we have our favorites.

Biggest fanbases you will find here are Philadelphia fans (they founded this place) and Minnesota fans (there was an exodus from official Wild boards some time ago and we got some of their refugees, who have since made this place their home as well).

If you think of HFBoards as "New York City" or "Los Angeles", we are that friendly small town with people who love the sport, but simply aren't as overpopulated as something like the big city.

That has some disadvantages of course, but has big advantages.
There is no bullying here.

Any things that crop up, myself or someone else on the mod staff puts it to bed right away.
Mods in general are down to earth fans like anyone else, and if there IS some problem with a mod, you can always go to another, as our mod staff has a nice cross section of personalities and approaches....there is bound to be one that you can deal with comfortably, though again, all of us are pretty approachable to various degrees.

As for your Hawks, the Blackhawks haven't had a strong fanbase presence here for awhile, however, you are more than welcome to post Hawks stuff on the boards, you will get others here who may find your posts of interest (I defintely would...I stick my posting nose just about everywhere :) ), and again, you are plenty welcome to post your opinions on other team boards here, or the general NHL boards here.

Just like you wouldn't want to be bullied or hassled, we expect you won't do that to others, or go to team boards to troll.
You can certainly disagree and have your own say, but stirring the pot is still a major no-no here, and one of the reasons we have tended to remain small (we actually don't mind it that way), and why some people have decided to leave (I guess we weren't 'edgy' enough for some posters who apparently were way too good for us :bigteeth: )

Anyways, make yourself at home, look around....you are on post moderation only for a bit while you are still new, that does away after awhile if you decide to stick around and you can post freely without moderation after that.

Any questions or issues, track down a mod (orange names) or manager/admin (red names), and one of us can help. Sending any of us a direct message with a question is fine.
We also have supporting members (green names) who oftentimes can be helpful as well.

As for your membership with hfboards, we don't mind if you want to stay a member there, while still posting here.
A few of us actually have accounts over there, though we treat this as our home board....myself included.

We prefer the relative quiet and saner conversation pace to the sensory overload and yes, the harassment, that can sometimes occur over there, though hfboards still has some cool posters as well.

Once again, welcome, hope you don't mind the relative quiet here. We would like population growth of course, but are more than happy to stay small if it means maintaining a more comfortable atmosphere.
Feel free to post on hfboards, but when you get tired of the 'noise', come here for your quiet place and possibly some more engaging convos with a handful of people as opposed to dozens.

See ya round the boards.

• Like 3

What TFG said...and welcome to the board.

Ya, Hockeys Future was a great board, and there's still lots of great knowledgeable members. But there's so many assholes on there it makes for a hit and miss discussion, with more misses than hits.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GybonB said:

| I'm still a vacant member at the HFBoards, so i haven't completely left that place.

- man that is so toxic place these days, staff bullies members and vice versa, fans bully fans,

and the advertisement bombardment and the ever changing rules... that place has grown too large |

Hows things here?

into lots of sports, most actually :), but hockey & football (aka soccer) the #1 & #2

Welcome to the boards.

Im a 41 year old Sharks fan who lives in halifax, Nova scotia Canada. Also a mooseheads fan because I work in the arena lol

The Hawks board? Not likely very active, Neither is the Sharks board but folks here generally post all over every forum depending on the topic . But the draw to this forum is many of us are like a tight knit  family for the most part. A lot of us watch every team because we love hockey and because we are heavily into fantasy hockey and it helps to scout every team to know who to pick up on waiver wire and who to trade for lol.

This place has legions of Flyers fans because it started when folks abandoned the flyers forum en masse. Then a wild forum was abandoned en mass and a bunch of them ended up here. Personally I came from hockeyforum.com, as did several others here before it was bought by a corporation and ruined. It Used to be one of the most active hockey forums on the internet after the sportsnet board went down.

Not many rules here. Don't bring up non hockey politics(That sort of crap ruins forums) and don't say things to folks you would not say in real life to someone and you will be fine. There is always some heckling between hockey fans, and every now and then an argument but it is usually lighthearted here.

if i got mad every time the sharks were called chokers in the last decade I would have no hair lol

• Like 1

Good to see a Hawks' fan, also from a diversity perspective. And I like the Hawks as my beloved rival. If you're old enough to remember the good ol' brawls between the (North) Stars and Blackhawks, we can go in full vintage mode and argue about our teams.

And I almost forgot: Secord suuuuuuucks ! 😉

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GybonB said:

Hows things here?

Also, please join me in celebrating Evander Kane being put on Waivers for contract termination because the dork broke COVID rules in the AHL and traveled to another country after testing positive.

stone-cold-steve-austin-beer-bash.gif

• Like 2

4 hours ago, GybonB said:

Hows things here?

Welcome to our hockey community!  @TropicalFruitGirl26 pretty much hit everything on the head.  We have a good bunch of posters here.  If you know any other disgruntled posters from the other forum, direct them here.  

Saw you are an amateur photographer.  I too consider myself an advanced photag.  Love photographing my kids baseball games / dance recitals and family vacations. I love B&W photography of natural wild life and my favorite place place to visit ..Gettysburg National Battlefield.

Again welcome!

~doc

HF.net Manager

Thanks to you all from the reply's. Felt like a warm welcome.

I might have few, who'd probably join if i'd ask :)

Yeah, it was great place, it sort of still is, but not really,

it has just gotten so big, just hoping that Canucks official

message boards never folds :) - because 100 000+ Canucks

fans would brake any board :) just kidding.

But if most was to migrate to HFBoards, it couldn't handle

the amount of new members, it already haves 300 000+ members,

another 100 000+ would push it close to half million.

I mean, there are 150 000+ Leafs fans alone, in the HFBoards,

most came after the Leafs official message boards folded.

You as well 18th December? cool!. December IS the best month ;)

Yeah, photograph is close to my heart and i'm good at it i guess.

Oh he DOES NOT suck grrrrrr :)

4 hours ago, GybonB said:

Thanks to you all from the reply's. Felt like a warm welcome.

I might have few, who'd probably join if i'd ask :)

Yeah, it was great place, it sort of still is, but not really,

it has just gotten so big, just hoping that Canucks official

message boards never folds :) - because 100 000+ Canucks

fans would brake any board :) just kidding.

But if most was to migrate to HFBoards, it couldn't handle

the amount of new members, it already haves 300 000+ members,

another 100 000+ would push it close to half million.

I mean, there are 150 000+ Leafs fans alone, in the HFBoards,

most came after the Leafs official message boards folded.

You as well 18th December? cool!. December IS the best month ;)

Yeah, photograph is close to my heart and i'm good at it i guess.

Oh he DOES NOT suck grrrrrr :)

I just go to HF boards for game day threads to read fanbases accounts of rookies, prospects and trades and players and how they look on certain lines to see if I should pick them up in Fantasy hockey.

Ill stop in Calgary and ask why Kylington isn't on PP1, ask Colorado if Francouz is going to get more starts moving forward, lurk and see Anaheim fans gush over Zegras. Its kind of useful in Fantasy hockey to know how stubborn opposing team coaches are and if they will continue trying to marginalize players or if they will give rookies a chance.

Then i gotta sort out who the complainers who complain about everything are and who the knowledgeable fans are.

If I want to chat general hockey with my buddies or watch the game in a chat room, I do it here lol. Occasionally we fill up the chat room during playoff games or on the right Saturday

• Like 1

On 1/8/2022 at 2:06 PM, GybonB said:

I went back to HFBoards again for a few weeks (wanted more Leafs chat and activity) but got banned for the second time today (lol).... for the same reason as last time: having an opinion different from that of a moderator. I didn't break any forum rules but they just banned me to silence me. So I see nothing has changed there. It's still the sh_thole I remember it being. It's an absolute crime that they have so many users there. I'm wondering how many are really just re-opened accounts from banned users?

Example: If they say they have 1,000,000 users, I'm guessing over 900,000 of those are dead/banned accounts and the same people keep creating new accounts to get around the obscene and petty moderation.   

7 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

I went back to HFBoards again for a few weeks (wanted more Leafs chat and activity) but got banned for the second time today (lol).... for the same reason as last time: having an opinion different from that of a moderator. I didn't break any forum rules but they just banned me to silence me. So I see nothing has changed there. It's still the sh_thole I remember it being. It's an absolute crime that they have so many users there. I'm wondering how many are really just re-opened accounts from banned users?

Example: If they say they have 1,000,000 users, I'm guessing over 900,000 of those are dead/banned accounts and the same people keep creating new accounts to get around the obscene and petty moderation.   

Exactly the reason why i think the site site...lots of info, which is good, but the constant forum change and adds drag it down, not to mention my first few posts there way back when were met with ridicule and harassment for having an opinion or comment that differs from the majority.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Brewin Flames said:

Exactly the reason why i think the site site...lots of info, which is good, but the constant forum change and adds drag it down, not to mention my first few posts there way back when were met with ridicule and harassment for having an opinion or comment that differs from the majority.

What really irks me is that there are some good people there.  I don't mind having a debate with people on hockey topics but the moment a moderator enters the debate and takes the opposing point of view, consider yourself blocked. It's over. They immediately silence people as a tool to win whatever hockey argument they're having. 

Here's an example of how life at HFBoards goes, and this is not an exaggeration:

User: "Crosby is a better all around player than Ovie."

Mod: "Nobody will remember Crosby in 20 years. Ovie is light years ahead of him. Only a fool would think otherwise."

User: "You're calling me a fool? You're entitled to your opinion, but Crosby has the Stanley Cups and the Olympic gold to prove how good he is."

Mod: "You've received xx warning points. Infraction: Name calling. Attacking a moderator. Suspension: permanent"

------

(the end)

• Like 1

On 1/8/2022 at 1:06 PM, GybonB said:

Hows things here?

Welcome. I'm a big fan of Finnish players, I have Barkov and Lundell in my Keeper. I think I would like the Finnish people and intend to visit one of these days. I think the Finnish people would like me too, which is more than I can say about most of the idiots here 😉

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

Welcome. I'm a big fan of Finnish players, I have Barkov and Lundell in my Keeper. I think I would like the Finnish people and intend to visit one of these days. I think the Finnish people would like me too, which is more than I can say about most of the idiots here 😉

Podein if you are into Keeper leagues, how come you never play our site leagues? lol

Granted spots opening in the 14 team keep 5 are rare, but we have yearly leagues too

• Like 1

On 1/9/2022 at 11:48 PM, WordsOfWisdom said:

Yeah, moderators there are not good people, most of them anyways are not.

- not impartial anyways

On 1/10/2022 at 12:10 AM, WordsOfWisdom said:

What really irks me is that there are some good people there.  I don't mind having a debate with people on hockey topics but the moment a moderator enters the debate and takes the opposing point of view, consider yourself blocked. It's over. They immediately silence people as a tool to win whatever hockey argument they're having. 

Here's an example of how life at HFBoards goes, and this is not an exaggeration:

User: "Crosby is a better all around player than Ovie."

Mod: "Nobody will remember Crosby in 20 years. Ovie is light years ahead of him. Only a fool would think otherwise."

User: "You're calling me a fool? You're entitled to your opinion, but Crosby has the Stanley Cups and the Olympic gold to prove how good he is."

Mod: "You've received xx warning points. Infraction: Name calling. Attacking a moderator. Suspension: permanent"

------

(the end)

This is so true.

• Like 1

On 1/10/2022 at 12:25 AM, Podein25 said:

Thank you.

Winnipeg / Manitoba have big & strong roots what comes to Finland,

thanks to one Finnish Flash :) 

Not sure thou how your current team is handling with my kind, no offence,

I hate PoMo for starting it all ;)

Yeah, Canadians and Finns tend to like each other, very similar folk i believe,

spirit and all, comes with cold harsh winters i guess :)

But in sports...we are not always as friendly to each other, but its sports,

nothing compared to real life, its big and important to us both, (hockey, sports)

but real life is still real life.

Yeah, i think its a good chance that i'd like Canadian person as well,

if i'd ever talked to one in person. One thing thou, you wouldn't

win me over by offering me a beer, i'm one of those weirdo Finns

who don't drink alcohol :)  

• Like 1
  • Uggh... 1

1 hour ago, GybonB said:

Not sure thou how your current team is handling with my kind

I have said for years that we suck because we don't have any Finns.

WTF that is I don't know.

We have struggle since Kimmo Timonen was traded and well we haven't had any on the big club and well we see the results you have to have at least one Lucky Finn if not you won't win.

They finally figured it out and drafted one this season and he may be a good one Samu Tuomala not sure if you are familiar with him but a speedy skilled winger.

Plus I miss one of my favorites...

Sami Kapanen!!!!

Welcome to the site.

1 hour ago, GybonB said:

Thank you.

Winnipeg / Manitoba have big & strong roots what comes to Finland,

thanks to one Finnish Flash :) 

Not sure thou how your current team is handling with my kind, no offence,

I hate PoMo for starting it all ;)

Yeah, Canadians and Finns tend to like each other, very similar folk i believe,

spirit and all, comes with cold harsh winters i guess :)

But in sports...we are not always as friendly to each other, but its sports,

nothing compared to real life, its big and important to us both, (hockey, sports)

but real life is still real life.

Yeah, i think its a good chance that i'd like Canadian person as well,

if i'd ever talked to one in person. One thing thou, you wouldn't

win me over by offering me a beer, i'm one of those weirdo Finns

who don't drink alcohol :)  

@radoranthis guy would like your fantasy team I think

In a keep 5, rad tends to hoard the finns

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

In a keep 5, rad tends to hoard the finns

Went with: Aho, Rantanen, Teravainen, Laine, Saros this past off-season...

Gonna be: Aho, Rantanen, Hintz, Saros (and probably Oettinger) next year...

Edited by radoran
  • Like 1

Welcome to the forum from another Finn 🇫🇮.

Speaking of Finns, how has Hawks' Kevin Lankinen been doing this season? Last season he seemed to make quite a splash, but I don't see much of him this season. Fleury doing much of the work now, I guess, but what about Lankinen?

On 1/13/2022 at 7:06 AM, lynxrattle said:

Welcome to the forum from another Finn 🇫🇮.

Speaking of Finns, how has Hawks' Kevin Lankinen been doing this season? Last season he seemed to make quite a splash, but I don't see much of him this season. Fleury doing much of the work now, I guess, but what about Lankinen?

Lankinen not been great but not as bad as his stats make him look like

he has few really good games, where he has stood on his head,

been best player on the ice.

Thanks, its more the merrier i guess :)