Giroux Trade Talk

elmatus

19 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

So apparently St Louis might be putting in an offer for Giroux that's based around Scott Perunovich, Jake Neighbors, and their 2022 first round pick. The article also mentions that Colorado is open to moving their 2023 1st and Justin Barron. Here's the article:

https://www.nhltraderumors.me/2022/02/nhl-rumors-st-louis-blues-making-huge.html

Gotta be something else there.

St. Louis has less cap space than the Avs...

Like $175,000 in cap space so need to clear ~$4M

Edited by radoran

3 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

So would there be a former Captain out there available through free agency or even on the trade block worth looking into if that person isn't on the team?

The key words are "worth looking into" and I can't think of anybody. 

Chara's probably finally going to retire and he's pretty much done anyway. Bergeron will be a free agent but I'd guess he doesn't leave Boston, possibly retires. Bruins would probably be willing to unload Nick Foligno but he's also well past it. Pavelski and Giordano are both pretty old. Doubt Getzlaf leaves Anaheim. Also old. All captain types, all character guys, but all old.

So maybe just sign Ryan Reaves, name him captain, have fight nights every night to entertain the fans while we tank for Bedard :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Good Post 1

36 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Oh I'm certain. Philadelphia is going to take a bad contract back, no doubt. 

Doesn't have to be a bad contract. David Perron ($4M, UFA) is sitting right there, assuming the Flyers aren't on his five team NTC list...

Edited by radoran

6 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

So apparently St Louis might be putting in an offer for Giroux that's based around Scott Perunovich, Jake Neighbors, and their 2022 first round pick. The article also mentions that Colorado is open to moving their 2023 1st and Justin Barron. Here's the article:

https://www.nhltraderumors.me/2022/02/nhl-rumors-st-louis-blues-making-huge.html

Well Perunovich is from Minnesota...so that trumps receiving a better prospect.

9 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

So after Giroux is traded...IF he is traded.

Who becomes the next Captain?

Is that worthy of it's own thread or should we wait till it happens? IF it does.

Well they're building the team around him...might as well make it Haysee. 

And you guys thought we were already at rock bottom.

• Like 1
  • Uggh... 1

With regards to the captaincy, when Giroux is traded Schmuck and Nature Boy should bring Couturier and Konecny in for a meeting. Schmuck should let Coots know that for the 2022-2023 season, he will be captain. For the rest of this year, Konecny will be that guy. I think Konecny is the guy who will be a blood and guts/vocal captain and that this would be good for him. He's a solid team guy and he shows up to play. I'd be good with that. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

I have no idea what the team will look like next season. I'm sure when the season is over, you'll tell us. 

I'll tell you right now.  There is no set of moves, in all the millions of hypothetical moves, that makes this team "good" next year.

If absolutely everything breaks right for them, health, free agency, Fletcher brain transplant, etc. I could see them possibly sneaking in to an 8th seed and early first round exit.  I think that's their absolute ceiling.

Their floor is the #1 pick.

Edit to say:  That ceiling is highly unlikely and they will pick in the 6-12 range.

Edited by SCFlyguy

I feel like the most likely choice of next captain is Couts. Whether he should be or whatever, I don't know, but that would follow the typical pattern of the captain being one of the most highly regarded players on the team. Tricky bit is just that none of us have any real idea what these guys are like in the locker room, which should be a much bigger factor than just skill. For all I know, Laughton is decent at settling the team down and getting them focused on the plan, or helping guide coaches on what they're seeing on the ice during games. If so, give it to him. 

If we're being honest, the choice of captain is hardly what will lead to any great turn around here. The captain doesn't get cloned and play on every line or anything. Pick someone who seems alright at getting folks to paddle in the same direction. That's about the best that can happen. I don't expect the team to suddenly morph into something they're not just cause someone got a letter on their sweater. 

Edited by elmatus
  • Like 3

56 minutes ago, SCFlyguy said:

I'll tell you right now.  There is no set of moves, in all the millions of hypothetical moves, that makes this team "good" next year.

If absolutely everything breaks right for them, health, free agency, Fletcher brain transplant, etc. I could see them possibly sneaking in to an 8th seed and early first round exit.  I think that's their absolute ceiling.

Edit to say:  That ceiling is highly unlikely and they will pick in the 6-12 range.

Once we trade G, the only scorer we have is Atkinson. I can easily see another 10 game losing streaks. So hopefully we end up picking 4th or 5th

1 hour ago, SCFlyguy said:

What's scary is that edict that Dave Scott gave, it won't surprise me if Schmuck puts the pick up for trade in order to acquire someone who he thinks might help put the club over. I'm scared to death what that incompetent boob is going to do, especially when Schmuck has his mentor whispering sweet nothings in his ear. 

14 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

So after Giroux is traded...IF he is traded.

Who becomes the next Captain?

Is that worthy of it's own thread or should we wait till it happens? IF it does.

Seems to me that Coots would be good. And maybe Provy. But I honestly believe it will be Hayes. That just makes Flyersense. Even if G comes back, I think this gives them an out to go with another guy

• Like 1

10 hours ago, GrittyForever said:

So maybe just sign Ryan Reaves, name him captain, have fight nights every night to entertain the fans while we tank for Bedard :)

:PostAward4::PostAward4::PostAward4::PostAward4::PostAward4:

greatest post in for--- ....a very long time!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SCFlyguy said:

Would you please let us know when will be a good time to tune back in and watch this team again? It will save us all a bunch of time and anguish discussing all this crap

I will follow @OccamsRazor lead and set up my recliner on Rad's roof

• Good Post 1

1 hour ago, CoachX said:

Seems to me that Coots would be good. And maybe Provy.

These are two of my first choices but i don't want to burden Ivan right now while he is trying to get his game right once he gets his partner back to the odds on favorite to me is Coots. He is the one guy that maybe if Giroux came back he would be ok with him keeping the C.

Unless they can find another option out there will to be a Flyers i am going with Coots.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CoachX said:

I will follow @OccamsRazor lead and set up my recliner on Rad's roof

I wonder if he has good reception up there you'd think he would....also he needs to know we will need access to his bathroom drinking all this beer and bourbon the kidney are only so big i don't think he wants us peeing off his roof...

:beer:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I wonder if he has good reception up there you'd think he would....also he needs to know we will need access to his bathroom drinking all this beer and bourbon the kidney are only so big i don't think he wants us peeing off his roof...

no worries ... I work in healthcare.... no need for a bathroom. I will have a beautiful RN set you up with a catheter. 

veronica mars wink GIF

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, SCFlyguy said:

I'll tell you right now.  There is no set of moves, in all the millions of hypothetical moves, that makes this team "good" next year

I find your certainty amusing, and your overall demeanor on here as mildly irritating. Not in a major way- but in the way that laundry detergent makes it itchy around the collar.

Edited by mojo1917
  • Haha 3

11 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

no worries ... I work in healthcare.... no need for a bathroom. I will have a beautiful RN set you up with a catheter. 

veronica mars wink GIF

Sounds good so @radoran had spoken of Laphroaig, been wanting to try that maybe an IV of that and then the catheter and we are set might need to brings some blankets i'm sure it is cold and windy and we'll be there for awhile...the goal is to stay till we have new management...or a winning team again.

• Like 3