Giroux Trade Talk

elmatus

3 hours ago, GrittyForever said:

Anyway, Montreal is the only place I could see him wanting to play rather than coming back. After a cup run with whoever this year. 

Why would he want to play for Montreal?

I sure something happens soon.

I am not sure who has been more boring the Flyers or the Eagles with their lack of moves lately.

But we still have hope...

...I am still holding out hope they can pick up salary to move JVR too I can't stand watching him floating out on the ice.

• Like 1

Well I guess if the "ifs" come true then a Giroux trade is at least plausible. But I don't have much confidence that the biggest "if," namely that the return is immediately useful, will happen.

We know Fletcher, Scott, etc. aren't planning past next year so therefore the return must be "immediately useful." Otherwise the Flyers are in exactly the same scenario they're in now: a number of talented, young players that instead of progressing have stagnated or gone backwards in the O&B. Adding more of the same doesn't strike me as the answer.

With better management it makes sense but good managers find ways to develop their talent, their young players; the Flyers do not. From what I read the Flyers now consider Sanheim, Konecny and Provorov as trade assets. If that's true it says it all.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I don't know why but this one hit me in the gut...

I have to watch. It's must see TV for if he leaves or stays.

Because he's been a part (perhaps the best part) of your favorite hockey team for 15 years and he's watching himself as young man just beginning his journey. 

I think old Claude's reaction to his younger self is fascinating and moving as well.

It looks to me like he's feeling so many things after watching that 1st media scrum. 

This "celebration" will be the very definition of the word bittersweet.

Edited by mojo1917
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Well I guess if the "ifs" come true then a Giroux trade is at least plausible. But I don't have much confidence that the biggest "if," namely that the return is immediately useful, will happen.

We know Fletcher, Scott, etc. aren't planning past next year so therefore the return must be "immediately useful." Otherwise the Flyers are in exactly the same scenario they're in now: a number of talented, young players that instead of progressing have stagnated or gone backwards in the O&B. Adding more of the same doesn't strike me as the answer.

With better management it makes sense but good managers find ways to develop their talent, their young players; the Flyers do not. From what I read the Flyers now consider Sanheim, Konecny and Provorov as trade assets. If that's true it says it all.

I honestly don't believe the young players in the Flyers system have stagnated,  as much as this is what they are, mid 1st round picks that develop or don't.  It's the Flyer philosophy of being mediocre that has them here today. Signing and trading for relics, drafting mid round, striving for mediocrity is what got them here. Other teams have improved and past them in the standings while they go on and on with their arrogant, stubborn ignorant plan of sneaking in the playoffs. The NHL is a young man's game, not a broken 30 year olds game. As long as they see it their broken way this is what we will get. There is no quick turn around to this.

15 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I don't know why but this one hit me in the gut...

I have to watch. It's must see TV for if he leaves or stays.

I was at that game in Ottawa back in 2008, a buddy of mine had two tickets so we went to watch the game. Funny thing was my buddy and I were at a sports bar during the day before the game sitting down and having a couple of beers. We were sitting with our Flyers jerseys on and a gentleman in his mid 40's looked over and asked us if we were going to the game. So we started talking to him and found out he was Giroux's dad, so he had a beer with us and you could see how proud that his son (like every hockey dad would be) was playing his first NHL game in his hometown territory. My buddy had two seats right beside the glass near the Flyers penalty box and we got to see Daniel Briere's face smashed up against the glass by a Sens player. Got to love NHL hockey.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Lindbergh31 said:

I was at that game in Ottawa back in 2008, a buddy of mine had two tickets so we went to watch the game. Funny thing was my buddy and I were at a sports bar during the day before the game sitting down and having a couple of beers. We were sitting with our Flyers jerseys on and a gentleman in his mid 40's looked over and asked us if we were going to the game. So we started talking to him and found out he was Giroux's dad, so he had a beer with us and you could see how proud that his son (like every hockey dad would be) was playing his first NHL game in his hometown territory. My buddy had two seats right beside the glass near the Flyers penalty box and we got to see Daniel Briere's face smashed up against the glass by a Sens player. Got to love NHL hockey.

Wow. Amazing story.

27 minutes ago, elmatus said:

No one is going to trade for Braun.

strong disagree, he should net a 3rd round pick, at least.

He's a solid citizen and RHD with playoff experience.

Teams will call, lots of contenders will want to load up with defensemen for a playoff run,  and he would be a fine depth signing. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Why would he want to play for Montreal?

Little kids. He MAY want to bring them up bilingual, more like his own childhood. Canadian. idk if any of that enters into his mindset, just saying it's a possibility. 

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

strong disagree, he should net a 3rd round pick, at least.

He's a solid citizen and RHD with playoff experience.

Teams will call, lots of contenders will want to load up with defensemen for a playoff run,  and he would be a fine depth signing. 

It's possible that the Flyers could get a conditional 2nd for Braun 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, flyer4ever said:

I honestly don't believe the young players in the Flyers system have stagnated,  as much as this is what they are, mid 1st round picks that develop or don't

It’s hard to see Provorov’s struggles the past 2 years, Konecny’s long (seemingly never ending) “snakebitten” streak and Sanheim’s inability to become a legit, consistent offensive threat and put it down to “this is what they are” when all 3 (among others) came into the NHL looking like cornerstones to the Flyers next decade. Along with Hart it looked to me like finally the Flyers had something to build on; a group of young players who would make up a big part of the foundation that a new (post-Hakstol) HC would use to bring the team from mediocrity to worthy Cup contenders. 

I watched most of the Flyers games the past few years and I see a pretty huge drop off in those 3 player’s games, from how they began life in the O&B until today. You don’t see that? 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

The year they fooled us all...

...I really thought maybe they were building something that was heading in the right direction.

Couple things I get from this video:

1. Man we had it good 10 years ago

2. This team was tough and highly skilled

3. Was this team put together by the most hated man on this forum?

4. Where has this team gone since Ronnie took over shortly after?

26 minutes ago, icehole said:

Yeah that was the last year Bob was here.

The forwards were deep and skilled.

Pronger was the Captain but for only 13 games and his career was over.

That was not an easy one to lose.

So instead of Kimmo getting the C the handed to a not ready Claude Giroux and it has slid backwards ever since.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, icehole said:

Where has this team gone since Ronnie took over shortly after?

Nowhere. Homer's way was unconventional but hi teams were competitive it seemed way more than they are now.

Maybe it is just the difference in generations.

Those team had Kimmo, Carle, Coburn, Briere and Jody Shelley types to keep the kids in check.

It seems the Flyer teams of today vets seem to be to scared to speak up just fall in line with the rest of inmates helping run the asylum.

Not sure they will ever get back to those days.

Back when you would hardly watch the Canes, Bolts and Panther games because they beat them it seems so easily.

Now they have turned the tide and they own the Flyers.

I don't see that changing any time soon.

Sadly.

I'd love to be proven wrong.

10 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

So instead of Kimmo getting the C the handed to a not ready Claude Giroux and it has slid backwards ever since.

38 minutes ago, icehole said:

Everyone seems to forget, IMHO, "the" player who helped Giroux attain those points ... --->J. Jagr (19G, 35A = 54 PTS).

Though he only scored 54 points, he was very instrumental in developing Giroux that season.  I have said it before and I will continually say it again and again.  The BIGGEST mistake this or-gani-zation ever made was not bringing back and resigning Jagr for the next season.  Jagr was THE perfect role model for Giroux to further develop.   But no ....the Flyers moved on from Jagr after 1 year.  Dumb ... Dumb ... Dumb......

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I just think Holmgren gets too much criticism on here. I get it...he gave up on the future a few times, but he seemed to get good return. This entire team, besides giroux, JVR, and Bob was constructed by trade/FA.

I'm going to dive into what he gave up, but this team had a very good Briere, old but still good Jagr, older but still effective Pronger, young Giroux, timmonen, hartnell, young schenn, young Simmonds, young voracek, and young JVR. This wasn't a team of Paul Coffee and Adam Oats. He was able to put together a team of 2 contributing HOFers, vets that were close to prime, and young guys that would go on to have pretty good careers. Compared to the state of the team today, Holmgren did pretty good, and we got to see some pretty good hockey.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

Everyone seems to forget, IMHO, "the" player who helped Giroux attain those points ... --->J. Jagr (19G, 35A = 54 PTS).

Though he only scored 54 points, he was very instrumental in developing Giroux that season.  I have said it before and I will continually say it again and again.  The BIGGEST mistake this or-gani-zation ever made was not bringing back and resigning Jagr for the next season.  Jagr was THE perfect role model for Giroux to further develop.   But no ....the Flyers moved on from Jagr after 1 year.  Dumb ... Dumb ... Dumb......

I loved Jagr and wouldn't have been mad if they signed him that year. However, at that time, just making the playoffs and maybe winning a round wasn't the expectations. They were expected to do more. I think Jagr showed his age in the playoffs. I remember watching him play for Boston then, and he just didn't have anything left in the playoffs.

So I didn't think it was a terrible move when they let him walk.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GrittyForever said:

Little kids. He MAY want to bring them up bilingual, more like his own childhood. Canadian. idk if any of that enters into his mindset, just saying it's a possibility. 

He could do that in any Canadian city. He lives in Ottawa offseason (I believe) and that's as bilingual a city as you can get. My guess is if he doesn't re-sign in Philly it's either Ottawa (for home) or a contender...which Montreal isn't. Just my guess.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pilldoc said:

I don't i think he had a big influence on Giroux and Jake becoming men.

What it doesn't change is the fact they were two Robins missing their Batman.

That is on the front office. Overvaluing assets. But failure to ever find someone to be that guy.