PREDICTION: Players on Canadian Teams Will Demand To Be Traded (To Play In Front Of Fans)

WordsOfWisdom

Not sure who the first player will be, but the breaking point is surely getting close. 

Case in point: Auston Matthews just enjoyed a hatless hat-trick. A "home" game in Toronto... in front of an empty building per the usual covid restrictions. 

Sooner or later, a star player is going to protest these mandates by demanding a trade to a team with no crowd restrictions. I'm just wondering who is going to be first. 

Fans in Canada are missing out on seeing the two best goal scorers to play for Canadian teams since... Wayne Gretzky and Guy Lafleur?

9 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

Not sure who the first player will be, but the breaking point is surely getting close. 

Case in point: Auston Matthews just enjoyed a hatless hat-trick. A "home" game in Toronto... in front of an empty building per the usual covid restrictions. 

Sooner or later, a star player is going to protest these mandates by demanding a trade to a team with no crowd restrictions. I'm just wondering who is going to be first. 

Fans in Canada are missing out on seeing the two best goal scorers to play for Canadian teams since... Wayne Gretzky and Guy Lafleur?

So you're saying maybe the market for more Canadian teams isn't as great as *checks notes* you've been saying?

:5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

Seriously, these are "temporary" conditions - you *might* have a point if no Canadian was ever going to be let into the seating area of an arena ever again.

(further, it *sounds* like you saw the hat trick...)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, radoran said:

Seriously, these are "temporary" conditions - you *might* have a point if no Canadian was ever going to be let into the seating area of an arena ever again.

Don't underestimate the Quebec part. They are truly capable of that :ph34r:

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

How many fans are missing out? Take away all the suits that attend  Leaf games. Compare that to how many can still watch on TV. 

And let us know when Matthews scores 76 goals like Selanne did for Winnipeg...in his rookie year. Pro-rated or not. 

Or when he actually scores 52, like Iginla did for Calgary. 

Or Sakic who scored 48 for Quebec.

Or Draisaitl who's actually scored 50 for Edmonton. 

Or Heatley who scored 50 twice for Ottawa.

Or Bure and Mogilny who hit 50 a total of 4 times for Vancouver. 

Leaf fans wonder why other teams fans think they're a little full of themselves.

Edited by flyercanuck
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

So you're saying maybe the market for more Canadian teams isn't as great as *checks notes* you've been saying?

:5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

Well without fans being allowed into the arena it's comparable to the hockey market in Carolina or Phoenix. 

Seriously, these are "temporary" conditions

Two years is not what I call "temporary".  We went through an entire season of no fans in the building. Prior to that we went through the playoffs without fans. Now, at the midway point of year 3, we've gone a month without fans allowed in the building again... with no end in sight.

The NHL has tried to stall for time by having the Cdn teams play all their road games now, but the teams are still behind in the schedule, have a ton of games to make up, and there's no indication that our stupid government is going to allow fans into the building again. 

At some point the players will leave, and ultimately the teams will leave. I'm sure the ultimatum letter from MLSE to the government is being typed up right now: "Dear (Government Official Name), we can no longer operate a profitable business here in Canada due to the restrictions your government has imposed on our customers. Therefore, we regret to inform you that if the restrictions are not lifted by (insert date) then we will have no other alternative but to relocate our operations to the United States."

1 minute ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

I'm sure the ultimatum letter from MLSE to the government is being typed up right now: "Dear (Government Official Name), we can no longer operate a profitable business here in Canada due to the restrictions your government has imposed on our customers. Therefore, we regret to inform you that if the restrictions are not lifted by (insert date) then we will have no other alternative but to relocate our operations to the United States."

LMAO!

2 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

Two years is not what I call "temporary".  We went through an entire season of no fans in the building. Prior to that we went through the playoffs without fans. Now, at the midway point of year 3, we've gone a month without fans allowed in the building again... with no end in sight.

So you're saying that they were letting fans into the building this season? That people watched hockey live this season?

You just might be onto something here...

"No end in sight" is about as myopic as you can get.

This is absolutely temporary. As it was before.

I'll predict that fans will be in the Air Canada Centre to enjoy another first round playoff loss... :5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

41 minutes ago, Icechipper said:

Winnipeg fans are amazing. All of Manitoba has a population of like 1.3 million.

I'll say they are. 
And stealthy too.

They always seem to elude the border patrols and sneak their way into the Xcel Energy Center and commandeer entire sections whenever the Jets travel to St. Paul. :bigteeth: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, radoran said:

So you're saying that they were letting fans into the building this season? That people watched hockey live this season?

You just might be onto something here...

"No end in sight" is about as myopic as you can get.

This is absolutely temporary. As it was before.

I'll predict that fans will be in the Air Canada Centre to enjoy another first round playoff loss... :5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

I'm convinced that closing the NHL arenas to fans once again has spawned the Freedom Convoy. 

Never underestimate how angry Canadian hockey fans can get with no hockey.    :5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:   

12 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

And let us know when Matthews scores 76 goals like Selanne did for Winnipeg...in his rookie year. Pro-rated or not. 

Or when he actually scores 52, like Iginla did for Calgary. 

Or Sakic who scored 48 for Quebec.

Or Draisaitl who's actually scored 50 for Edmonton. 

Or Heatley who scored 50 twice for Ottawa.

Or Bure and Mogilny who hit 50 a total of 4 times for Vancouver. 

Can we just acknowledge that it has been a rare thing (until very recently) and smash that LIKE button?  😍

46 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

I'm convinced that closing the NHL arenas to fans once again has spawned the Freedom Convoy. 

Never underestimate how angry Canadian hockey fans can get with no hockey.    :5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:   

The ones who convoyed to Ottawa to protest Provincial restrictions? 🤔

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

I knew you were going to segue into that and readied my delete finger lol.

I figured a thread on "Popular Canadian Travel Destinations" would have been fun too.  

But I am doing my best to keep it to hockey. Honest!  😃👍

• Like 1