Ristolainen Re-signs with Flyers

mojo1917

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

Truly I don't see how signing the 3rd best defensman playing on the team- means you need to trade the best defenseman playing on the team.

A trade of Sanhiem seems really stupid, unless somehow all these quarters can be traded for dollars, I just don't see where taking guys who are good and getting rid of them is the answer to anything. There has been a lot of talk about trading TK and Provorov and now Sanhiem .... I would think the idea is to add to that group so they become the floor and the additions raise the level. 

I have zero idea what is happening, but none of it seems, you know, good. 

BREAKING NEWS: Travis Sanheim and 2nd traded for the Ghost of Duncan Keith and a 6th!!!

Edit: Just to let other know this is a joke....hopefully just trying to be cynical.

I don't want @flyercanuck jumping off Walt Whitman being blamed on.

:BrownBag:

Edited by OccamsRazor
bourbon isn't working
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

If I was going to jump I would have done this years ago when I saw it coming.

So the buzz is Sanheim is a hot commodity a 25 years old left hand shot with term (one year at 4.6 mill).

I cringe at the thought of what is going to happen soon...... 

Just now, OccamsRazor said:

So the buzz is Sanheim is a hot commodity a 25 years old left hand shot with term (one year at 4.6 mill).

I cringe at the thought of what is going to happen soon...... 

Wouldn't surprise me one bit if he traded him. Trade better defencemen and overpay for worse ones. Bring in even lousier ones who's careers are long done.

Why is the team getting worse? Can't put my finger on it.

• Good Post 1
  • Uggh... 1

C’mon, why does everyone have to be so negative all the time?

It’s too soon to judge Chuck’s moves.  Let’s give this move a couple years before we jump to conclusions.  I want to see what this team looks like when Couturier starts his 8 year extension coming off surgery and Ellis comes back from missing almost an entire year.  With a couple of smart moves we could turn this thing around next year.

Edited by SCFlyguy
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Wouldn't surprise me one bit if he traded him.

Sad to say but it's probably the best thing for Sanhem at this point. The Flyers are going nowhere with this drek they call their defense. Do they have a couple good players? Yes they do. Do they have any idea how to use them, how to help them become great NHL players - namely Sanheim and Provorov, who certainly could be? They haven't got a goddamn clue.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SCFlyguy said:

It’s too soon to judge Chuck’s moves.

This first "new" move seems to take the team farther from the stated goal.

I do feel badly for Chuck in that he and we will never get to see the results from the moves made last off-season.

I still think healthy versions of Couturier, Ellis, Hayes, Laczynski and Allison playing for the team could have been fun to watch at the least. At best, I think that team would be in the thick of the playoff chase and possibly in the 2nd tier of teams that could contend if some things broke their way.

The shift from thinking that to what has actually happened this season has been especially disappointing.

Even the most positive of articles about the extension is full of, well....maybe if....

Philadelphia Flyers Extend Rasmus Ristolainen (thehockeywriters.com)

sheesh

Edited by mojo1917
added link
  • Like 1

@SCFlyguy

That's not necessary, the Ristolianen news in conjunction with the whispers that Giroux may not waive his NMC because *emotions- are presenting a pretty grim picture.

To paraphrase Gene Kranz, what do we have on the team that's good ?

Edited by mojo1917

3 hours ago, radoran said:

I'm telling you, there is a Must Trade Clause if the Flyers don't make the playoffs in the next two years...

:5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

im trading myself to the Buffalo fanbase. I don't want anything in return, thats prolly more than they want to pay :hithead:

• Haha 1

So a "colleague" in NY just texted me about the Risto Deal.... I mean... I see this guy ONCE a year at a conference and email with him maybe once a month strictly about work. He knows I'm a flyers fan. He is a Rags fan.

And even HE reached out to me to ask WTF the Flyers were doing signing Risto to a 5/5 deal!!

My REAL friends won't even DARE mention the team around me.... let alone ask me my "thoughts" on what is clearly a HORRIBLE transaction.

I've never tried to claim to know how to run a hockey team, and try not to be an "armchair GM" but this is ridiculous!

I'm at a complete loss here.

• Like 3
  • Uggh... 1

On 3/9/2022 at 10:22 AM, radoran said:

The Big Bank Building in Philly isn't empty because the Flyers haven't won a Cup since 1975. It's empty because the on ice product stinks.

It's not just that the on-ice product stinks. We don't have a lot of good to great young prospects to look forward to, thanks to poor or questionable drafting. In 1992, we could at least say "Hey, we got Lindros...so we'll be very good or great, shortly". 

• Like 2

Fletcher: "He is committed to being a Flyer, and brings a consistent physical presence to our team."

What does that even mean anymore?!

Risto: "Obviously I was thinking about all the options....but honestly it wasn't too hard now. I don't need to go looking for something else for really no reason."

HOW ABOUT A CHANCE AT WINNING!!?!? Or PRIDE?!?! Maybe COMMON SENSE?! (Or simply So Occam does not off himself!?!)

Risto: "I believe the pieces we have here and here for next year, it's a pretty good core,"

Do these guys hear themselves or more importantly actually BELIEVE that?!? Dear God. Good Core?!?!

Fletcher: "When we traded for him, clearly I paid a big price, I recognize that,"

**** YOU CHUCK!!!!

(Sorry... I'm done!)

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Unless of course the cause is to remain a bottom feeder in the NHL. If it is they're right on track.

They dont want toronto to feel lonely anymore

• Haha 2

With regards to Risto, I was hoping he could be signed for even cheaper but considering the rate at which this organization drastically, and irrationally pays for decent to good players...I'm fine with it.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, FD19372 said:

It's not just that the on-ice product stinks. We don't have a lot of good to great young prospects to look forward to, thanks to poor or questionable drafting. In 1992, we could at least say "Hey, we got Lindros...so we'll be very good or great, shortly". 

Yeah, even then I think if the product was better - that, for example, they were still the bumbling, middling, bubble playoff team they've been for 10 years that folks would come out.

Maybe the bubble really has burst. When I heard 13,000 STBs for a franchise that used to have a waiting list, it was kind of surprising.

I wanna see the crowd on the 17th. That will say a lot IMO.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, MaineFlyFan said:

Fletcher: "He is committed to being a Flyer, and brings a consistent physical presence to our team."

What does that even mean anymore?!

no other GM wanted him

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Breaking News: Ristolainen Agrees To Five-Year Extension With Flyers

•  

On Wednesday, the Philadelphia Flyers took a name off the pending unrestricted free agent (UFA) list, inking defenseman Rasmus Ristolainen to a five-year contract extension. 

Ristolainen, 27, is in the final year of his current six-year contract he signed with the Buffalo Sabres back in 2016-17, a deal that’s paying him $5.4-million annually. Flyers general manager Chuck Fletcher acquired Ristolainen last offseason in exchange for defenseman Robert Hagg, a first-round pick on 2021 (which the Sabres used to draft Swedish winger Isak Rosen) and a second-rounder in 2023. 

Ristolainen’s extension will now pay him $5.1-million (a discount of $300K) that runs through the 2026-27 season.

This move is a bit of a head-scratcher to many. It seems as though the only benefit is that he took a slight discount, and even then, it’s less than half a million in terms of the salary cap. His advanced stats are an eyesore to look at, to say the least. 

His micro analytics aren’t anything to write home about either. For a defenseman that many dubs as more of an offensive one, he’s only put up two goals and 13 points in 49 games this season in the City of Brotherly Love. As of now, the Flyers have 26 games remaining in their season, but for comparison, Ristolainen only put up four goals and 18 points in the same amount of games with the Sabres last season. 

Throughout his nine-year career, Ristolainen also has yet to finish the season with a positive plus/minus rating (his best being a minus-two in 2019-20), though some people have differing opinions on how much the plus-minus stat means.