Giroux Traded to Panthers.

43 minutes ago, CoachX said:

You actually think people fear Scott Laughton?

Sh it yeah....i'm actually trembling responding to this....i hope he doesn't read this...i fact now i have to go you are going to get my ass whipped...

• Haha 2

I don't much care if a captain inspires fear or is inclined to punch faces.

I want a captain who can say what needs to be said to keep the team to a plan or help certain players shine. I want a guy who knows when to tell coaches they're doing something wrong and who can propose alternatives based on what they're seeing on the ice. I want a guy who knows how to advocate on behalf of the team with refs in game to help settle some of the human dynamics that are often so important in real time.

Is Laughton that guy? I don't know. Very often teams rely on individual skill as primary factor when deciding captains. I imagine this is because players with high levels of skill tend to command a high degree of respect just based on what they can do on the ice. That doesn't make them a good captain necessarily, but it's a quick way to at least check that particular box.

I'm honestly a bit baffled as to how Couturier's name hasn't been offered very much. To me, he would seem like the logical successor right now. Laughton's been a good enough soldier, and maybe he's great in the locker room, but I'm surprised Cout's name isn't also a foremost mention at the very least. It makes me wonder and worry if there's some reason we don't know...

• Like 4

12 hours ago, CoachX said:

You actually think people fear Scott Laughton?

We're really looking at this from different perspectives.

I'm not a huge fan of fighting, but there are times it needs to happen.

He's not Ryan Reaves, that's not his role nor his game. Scott wasn't drafted to be a goon.

Gabriel Landeskog isn't a fighter either, but he will, when it needs to happen and that's all I need from a captain when it comes to fighting.

I think Laughton will not hesitate if the team needs him to do it. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

I think Coots should be the guy hands down.

Me too...so it'll either be the new guy from Minnesota who couldn't crack it with several other teams or the guy we had to overpay to play for the Flyers. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Skill wise there is no question Couturier should be the guy.

But my impression from him is he is even more quiet than Giroux.

I have liked what I have heard from Sean when he's spoken especially after bad performances. 

He is obviously a really high hockey IQ guy, he ticks all of the boxes I would look for in a leader.

However, he seems very similar to the guy we just had, that everyone here seems to think was terrible at it.

We tried the lead by example guy for 10 years, I'm thinking a different style may be needed.

I don't know that I think Couturier is all that different from Giroux,-just taller with a less bushy beard.

I'm not thinking I'd want Hayes or Atkinson either. For a while I thought Provorov but now I want to trade him for a bag of pucks because he's too sensitive about the mean people on social media. So not him.

I got it - Rasmus Ristolainen. 

-you're welcome Captain America Lol GIF by mtv

Edited by mojo1917
  • Like 1

Excuse me if I missed it somewhere but - who will pick the Flyers next captain?

AFAIK the process is different on every team. I thought the rules required every team to have a captain but I don't think the Rangers do since Tavares left. And the Devils - I can't think who's captain there.

Just don't tell me it's Fletcher that's all I ask. Let's get ONE thing right for a change.

1 hour ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Excuse me if I missed it somewhere but - who will pick the Flyers next captain?

Gritty.....Comcast is doing a "Gritty picks the C" night where they line up the roster out on the ice pre-game, and gritty comes out blindfolded and starts throwing pies. Whoever gets hit in the face 1st gets the C!!!

$12 crab fries served in a "RIP-G" #28 mug....

Seats are gonna be full that night!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I know he hasn't played much. But what about Ryan Ellis? Surely he must be a strong candidate. 

Agree that coots is the logical choice, but I share the same concerns as above.

For me there are really only four candidates:

Ellis 

Coots 

Hayes 

Laughton

I said candidates, not necessarily good candidates.

I can live with Ellis/Coots. I prefer Ellis though....somebody who hasn't been part of the downward spiral **** show, but is a respected veteran and professional. We've talked about this before, but he could have a Timo effect, if he can stay on the ice that is...

Edited by ctid
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, ctid said:

I know he hasn't played much. But what about Ryan Ellis? Surely he must be a strong candidate. 

Agree that coots is the logical choice, but I share the same concerns as above.

For me there are really only four candidates:

Ellis 

Coots 

Hayes 

Laughton

I said candidates, not necessarily good candidates.

I can live with Ellis/Coots. I prefer Ellis though....somebody who hasn't been part of the downward spiral **** show, but is a respected veteran and professional. We've talked about this before, but he could have a Timo effect, if he can stay on the ice that is...

Only the Flyers would hand the C to a guy with 4 career games playing for them and no clue as to when he'll ever play again...so ya, I could see it.

4 hours ago, MaineFlyFan said:

Gritty.....Comcast is doing a "Gritty picks the C" night where they line up the roster out on the ice pre-game, and gritty comes out blindfolded and starts throwing pies. Whoever gets hit in the face 1st gets the C!!!

$12 crab fries served in a "RIP-G" #28 mug....

Seats are gonna be full that night!!

Stop teasing me with those crab fries.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Only the Flyers would hand the C to a guy with 4 career games playing for them and no clue as to when he'll ever play again...so ya, I could see it.

Nobody's handing anyone the C until Giroux is done with it.

I'd be surprised if they immediately named a captain in his absence to start next season.

Probably play in the home blacks all season. Maybe a patch? Emblem on the helmet?

We'll see

And while this is a little different from the mistake of giving Smith the C over Timonen, having the outside perspective of an Ellis and the obvious expiration date on his contract doesn't seem so outlandish if it happens during/after next season.

Assuming it's not Giroux for the next 3-5. Which it will be. :hocky:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

WTF is a crab fry?

Is that the imitation crab meat or something?

Sounds like a terrible idea...

I asked that about a week or two ago. Apparently it has nothing to do with crab.

• Uggh... 1

On 3/23/2022 at 7:01 AM, OccamsRazor said:

I can see Handsome Johnny hiring the guys who did it but I can't see Johnny making that shot himself.

That damn CIA I love a good conspiracy theory.

Need to call him on JVR and Risto.

But they will need something bigger than a 55 gallon drum for Rasmus.

Yeah we can bury Sphincterlinen  in a cesspool.

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Samifan said:

First shift of first game. Assist! 36 seconds as a panther!

I missed it got home late from work. And put the game/link up and jumped in the shower.

Well good for him....there will be many more.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

We're really looking at this from different perspectives.

I'm not a huge fan of fighting, but there are times it needs to happen.

He's not Ryan Reaves, that's not his role nor his game. Scott wasn't drafted to be a goon.

Gabriel Landeskog isn't a fighter either, but he will, when it needs to happen and that's all I need from a captain when it comes to fighting.

I think Laughton will not hesitate if the team needs him to do it. 

I think the emphasis is skewed

I know SL isn't a fighter, per se, or goon. My issue is anytime a discussion comes up like this, his defenders state his willingness to drop the gloves, as a positive. It's just not true. It's not something he does. Therefore, the "he defends his teammates" attribute is also overblown. Then there are the things he does "in the room". Speculation at best

So, he's really a nothing special, dime a dozen Flyer player, who most likely gets all his fan worship because we really don't have anyone better to like 

• Like 1