It is really looking like Pronger is done

Guest terp

A lot of us have figured for awhile that his career might be over. I kind of figured "Why come back and risk further injury when he's 37 and has already done it all in an HOF career?" Well, apparently, it is far worse than that. He's going through post concussion syndrome similar in its severity to what Keith Primeau went through and he's going to be fortunate to lead a normal life again, or at least that's the thrust of this article:

Lauren Pronger: "Very Frightening"

Lauren Pronger was on the verge of tears.

More than once.

Twice she told me today how "frightening" is it for her husband, Chris, in dealing with what he is going through with post-concussion syndrome.

Pronger's health has neither gotten better nor worse. It remains the same. Everything she said today smacked of what Keith Primeau went through in 2007 and continues to go through now.

I specifically asked her if Chris has contacted Primeau and whether this wouldn't be a bad idea since she admits there are "parallels" between the two of them. She said that Chris has been talking about it himself.

I sense Pronger is afraid of what Primeau might say. And that could be, that his life is never going to be the same ever again and he has to also face the fact his career is over.

Primeau will be the first to tell you that just to get by a day without some symptom is a victory. And to do that on consecutive days is another victory.

“I think this is very, very frightening for Chris" Lauren said. "He’s been able to battle through so much and come out of it, but this is different for him.

"This is really tough on Chris. He wants to be out here more than anyone. This is his life, this is his passion. And this is tough.”

The Flyers made two trades in the last several days they would not have had to make if Pronger were still around.

The impact of losing him for the season can't be understated, although I won't so far as to suggest that having Pronger would have saved the Flyers from Ilya Bryzgalov falling apart like he has.

I don't think it would be as bad but on the other hand, I have zero confidence right now that Bryz can make the game-changing save that is required of every goalie, especially, when the chips are down.

This summer, I feel the Flyers will concede Pronger is never coming back and go about finding another top No. 1 - maybe Ryan Suter. There's a lot of cards that need to be dealt along the way.

For now, you listen to Lauren Pronger and she is literally pleading for her husband just to feel "normal."

Her words are daunting, to say the least.

Here's the full story on CSNPhilly.com:

http://www.csnphilly.com/blog/flyers-talk/post/Prongers-wife-Chris-status-very-disheart?blockID=654150&feedID=695

Should he recover, I cannot imagine him playing again. I wish him and his family the best in dealing with a very very difficult situation.

Terp:

Yes, the Primeau Parallels are scary and sad. There are risks in all professions and their cases are examples.

I have a feeling the Kabina trade is a good indicator Pronger is done. Kabina might be signed to have on board for a short-term solution to CP's retirement/LTIR.

Best,

Howie

@terp

Such a shame. I would have never have guessed that a concussion would be the thing to take him out. Interesting that Pinnochio got the interview when Pronger really doesn't like him much.

I keep wondering if there is some culpability on the Flyers medical staff to not properly diagnose a concussion with the initial puck to the eye.

So if Pronger's career really is over (which would be sad and I feel really bad for him but probably would be the best thing if he is to have any semblance of a normal life watching his kids grow up) can the Flyers keep him on LTIR for rest of his contract term so his salary isnt a cap hit? If so, that clears up plenty of money for another #1 D. (Weber? Suter? other?)

I hope he can get some semblance of a life back. I suffered a couple of minor concussions and am still dealing with issues 8 years later. I can't imagine what it's like for guys like him and Primeau and Lindros who have suffered serious ones.

I understand the point of the over 35 clause, but hopefully this si something they'll address in the new CBA. If a player is forced to retire due to a bona fide serious injury, he should be allowed to retire and have the cap hit come off the books. The situations with LaPerriere and Pronger the past few seasons are ridiculous. It's not an attempt to circumvent the cap. The guy can't physically play anymore. Have the league doctor review the case file if you need to, but stop this circus.

Edited by AJgoal

I hope he can get some semblance of a life back. I suffered a couple of minor concussions and am still dealing with issues 8 years later. I can't imagine what it's like for guys like him and Primeau and Lindros who have suffered serious ones.

I understand the point of the over 35 clause, but hopefully this si something they'll address in the new CBA. If a player is forced to retire due to a bona fide serious injury, he should be allowed to retire and have the cap hit come off the books. The situations with LaPerriere and Pronger the past few seasons are ridiculous. It's not an attempt to circumvent the cap. The guy can't physically play anymore. Have the league doctor review the case file if you need to, but stop this circus.

The impact on the Flyers is already apparent: they traded for two pending UFA's and gave up 4 draft picks to do it. They can't resign these guys because of the way LTIR works and they can't keep giving up picks at this rate so yes, they are screwed.

Yes, but that also includes players that will likely be on the Phantoms at the start of the season, if they are on a one-way contract. For example, Walker and Leighton counted against the offseason cap this year.

Edit: it also includes players on two way contracts, in proportion to the number of NHL games played in the year prior.

Edited by AJgoal

The issue of "circumvention" isn't the injury being "fake," it's the structure of the contract. There's no way Pronger signs a $5M per contract - he's getting $7.6M, $7.6M, $7.2M, $7.2M, $4M, $525K, $525K. It's the extra three years at the end of the deal that makes the cap hit reasonable for the Flyers.

LaPerriere was very different. He had a three year deal for $1.3M, $1.2M, $1M.

The point of the over-35 contract clause was to prevent teams from signing a player to a long term contract for cap implications and then have them retire a few years down the road, thereby clearing that cap space. Say you sign a 36 year old player to a 6 year contract. If at 40 he retires due to age catching up to him, that's one thing. If not for his concussion, Pronger would still be playing at a fairly high level. Laperriere's career was the same issue. Length and terms of the contract shouldn't matter. It's a farce that a player has to "make an effort" to come back every season in order to be able to go on LTIR. Remember, the Flyers went through the same thing with Rathje, and he earned 3.5 a year, both real money and capwise.

If Crosby were to retire today due to his concussion issues, the pens would immediatly get his cap space. His contract was also front loaded, but since he's not over 35, he can retire due to injury and there is no cap implications. All I'm asking for is a bona fide injury exemption to the over-35 rule. Player retires because he can't keep up, fine. that's the risk you take when you sign a guy who's career is going to start trending downward. But let an injured guy hang them up.

I can't stand the over-35 rule.

I just don't think the NHL wanted to get into medical arguments over who "legitimately" retired so they made it a blanket rule.

It wouldn't surprise me if the NHLPA wanted it to be across the board as well - if it had to exist at all.

Regardless, it is the rule we are dealing with and unless there is a change made in the next CBA it will continue to be the rule we're stuck with.

What a damned shame. Poor guy. At this point, he should not even contemplate hockey but shoudl rather focus on getting his life back so he could enjoy the normal life, considering he is not even 40 yet. It sure sounds like Primeau's story, sadly.

A lot of us have figured for awhile that his career might be over. I kind of figured "Why come back and risk further injury when he's 37 and has already done it all in an HOF career?" Well, apparently, it is far worse than that. He's going through post concussion syndrome similar in its severity to what Keith Primeau went through and he's going to be fortunate to lead a normal life again, or at least that's the thrust of this article:

Lauren Pronger: "Very Frightening"

Lauren Pronger was on the verge of tears.

More than once.

Twice she told me today how "frightening" is it for her husband, Chris, in dealing with what he is going through with post-concussion syndrome.

Pronger's health has neither gotten better nor worse. It remains the same. Everything she said today smacked of what Keith Primeau went through in 2007 and continues to go through now.

I specifically asked her if Chris has contacted Primeau and whether this wouldn't be a bad idea since she admits there are "parallels" between the two of them. She said that Chris has been talking about it himself.

I sense Pronger is afraid of what Primeau might say. And that could be, that his life is never going to be the same ever again and he has to also face the fact his career is over.

Primeau will be the first to tell you that just to get by a day without some symptom is a victory. And to do that on consecutive days is another victory.

“I think this is very, very frightening for Chris" Lauren said. "He’s been able to battle through so much and come out of it, but this is different for him.

"This is really tough on Chris. He wants to be out here more than anyone. This is his life, this is his passion. And this is tough.”

The Flyers made two trades in the last several days they would not have had to make if Pronger were still around.

The impact of losing him for the season can't be understated, although I won't so far as to suggest that having Pronger would have saved the Flyers from Ilya Bryzgalov falling apart like he has.

I don't think it would be as bad but on the other hand, I have zero confidence right now that Bryz can make the game-changing save that is required of every goalie, especially, when the chips are down.

This summer, I feel the Flyers will concede Pronger is never coming back and go about finding another top No. 1 - maybe Ryan Suter. There's a lot of cards that need to be dealt along the way.

For now, you listen to Lauren Pronger and she is literally pleading for her husband just to feel "normal."

Her words are daunting, to say the least.

Here's the full story on CSNPhilly.com:

http://www.csnphilly...4150&feedID=695

Should he recover, I cannot imagine him playing again. I wish him and his family the best in dealing with a very very difficult situation.

yes, even if Pronger does recover he won't risk his health for the welfare of his kids.. he's done it all , no point to keep playing..

Out of curiosity, anyone know the total salary of contracts Comcast is paying out to guys who are not actually playing for the Flyers :ie Pronger, Walker, Laperriere, etc.

...and people wonder why their Comcast cable bill is so high.

Give or take Pronger $7.6MM, Laperriere $1.0MM, Betts $0.7MM

Edited by terp

it's not just looking like he's done... let's face it... he's done. there will be no miraculous recovery where one day he is just better and that's it. that's not how these things work. even if he manages to string the next 6 months together, he won't even be looking for a comeback attempt even then. he's at an age where this is a career ender. i think they both know it. i just hope he doesn't have to suffer through what preems is apparently going through.

Out of curiosity, anyone know the total salary of contracts Comcast is paying out to guys who are not actually playing for the Flyers :ie Pronger, Walker, Laperriere, etc.

...and people wonder why their Comcast cable bill is so high.

Comcast currently reports $1.62 billion - with a b - "cash on hand"

Yes, but that also includes players that will likely be on the Phantoms at the start of the season, if they are on a one-way contract. For example, Walker and Leighton counted against the offseason cap this year. Edit: it also includes players on two way contracts, in proportion to the number of NHL games played in the year prior.

Thanks. Didn't know that.

I hope Pronger chooses to see things as that he is not messing with his immediate life but his long term life in he quest to recover from these concussions.

My thoughts are that the Flyers need to start signing some of the Phantoms that they never intend to call up to AHL only contracts. If the need does arise that they really do need that player then sign him to a NHL contract example Kris Kolanos with the Flames. Remember this guy? He got a shot this year and is currently on the Flames roster. Until the Flames needed him he was on an AHL only on the Heat. Played in the AHL all star game. Has really proven himself this year as being worthy for a spot. I feel if the Flyers did more of this approach that they would one have contract numbers space and two encourage players to work to get to that next level. Just a thought.