Another coach is available for the Flyers. Barry Trotz was just fired.

1 hour ago, flyerrod said:

Right now I would be happy with a soup sandwich over what we have seen for the last 10 years (at least). I personally think Trotz would be a solid choice. He is going to have a young team to work with and be able to shape them to his liking. This is finally going to be a young team with only a few choice veterans. I can’t express just how happy I was to see Yandle hugging everyone goodbye after the final game of the season. I am sick and tired of watching the flyers try and plug and play with a veteran who is so long in the tooth that they have fallen out……

I would be good with Trotz too go get him.

I have given up on the thought of them being able to land Bedard next draft anyways seen it happen too much.

If they suck they would do it again like this year suck but not suck enough to end up like where Montreal's tank game got them.

In fact I fully expect the Yotes and Kraken to be once again in the bottom 3 without doubt and maybe the Devils and Sabres again so yeah - might as well get the new coach to start the transition to winning again sooner than later.

And if not Trotz then I don't know who...

..also meant to say how you doing Rod been awhile I hope you are doing OK.

:BrownBag:

Edited by OccamsRazor
Stock up on bourbon!!!
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

One of which became Joe Sackic. 

No, it didn't. One became Jocelyn Thibault and the other was Nolan Baumgartner.

Sakic was taken 15th overall in 1987 by the Nordiques in a pick obtained from the Caps for Dale Hunter and Clint Malarchuk.

He had already been in the league four years when Lindros was drafted.

So yeah, stripping the team for Lindros was a gamble that didn't pay off in the end. 

You don't score on every shot you don't take...

The Flyers had missed the playoffs for three straight seasons - the first time they missed since 1972.

There was really nothing magical about keeping a team that just finished 6th in the division at 32-37-11.

Even with Lindros they missed the next two seasons. Then they had two Conference Finals and a Cup Final in five years.

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

One of which became Joe Sackic. 

So yeah, stripping the team for Lindros was a gamble that didn't pay off in the end. 

It was fun to watch him though. Also it felt like, until Scott Stevens turned his brain to mush, the Flyers were going to win with Lindros it was only a matter of when. 

Sakic. Don't forget, they also had Peter Foursberg, lol. Anyway, Bob Clarke WASTED Lindros career. The Flyers dumba*s organization destroyed his time here, not trying OPEN MINDED approaches, on how to build a team the right way. Ed Snider, God rest his soul, overpaid his Legion of Doom first line.. and neglected almost the entire team besides it. He allowed Bob Clarke to be spiteful to Lindros, which I feel like he was. Loved him as a player, hated him as GM. The Devils, who built their team the right way, knew how to exploit our team...including having a great defenseman, who knew how to take out Lindros, because Lindros never learned how to defend himself by skating with his head up. The year they lost to Florida, 1996, and then again in 2000, were their Cup years. They were just too managerially imbecilic, to truly do what they could to win a Cup or two. I don't blame the players a bit, for this era's underachievement. They were NEVER going to win a CUP, with what they had. It wasn't enough.

Edited by FD19372
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

Sakic. Don't forget, they also had Peter Foursberg, lol. Anyway, Bob Clarke WASTED Lindros career. The Flyers dumba*s organization destroyed his time here, not trying OPEN MINDED approaches, on how to build a team the right way. Ed Snider, God rest his soul, overpaid his Legion of Doom first line.. and neglected almost the entire team besides it. He allowed Bob Clarke to be spiteful to Lindros, which I feel like he was. Loved him as a player, hated him as GM. The Devils, who built their team the right way, knew how to exploit our team...including having a great defenseman, who knew how to take out Lindros, because Lindros never learned how to defend himself by skating with his head up. The year they lost to Florida, 1996, and then again in 2000, were their Cup years. They were just too managerially imbelicilic, to truly do what they could to win a Cup or two. I don't blame the players a bit, for this era's underachievement. They were NEVER going to win a CUP, with what they had. It wasn't enough.

Lindros' parents didnt help, and neither did his attraction to shiny things that belonged to teammates

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CoachX said:

Lindros' parents didnt help, and neither did his attraction to shiny things that belonged to teammates

Clarke made the situation personal with Eric, Bonnie and Carl. The shiny things situation you speak of, well...a truly WINNING organization can overcome.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FD19372 said:

Clarke made the situation personal with Eric, Bonnie and Carl. The shiny things situation you speak of, well...a truly WINNING organization can overcome.

Carolina did. They took Brindamour and never looked back

• Like 2

1 minute ago, FD19372 said:

The shiny things situation you speak of, well...a truly WINNING organization can overcome.

Is it really so difficult to believe that Clarke thought Primeau was better than Brind'amour?

No, of course there has to be a more sordid tale for why the Flyer legend dealt a future Flyer Hall of Famer...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, GrittyForever said:

Winnipeg interviewing Trotz, Flyers not so much. 

That's a good fit imo. Winnipeg grinded pretty good in the bubble hockey season. Won't take a lot to turn them into a full on Trotz type team. 

Great (smgdh)!

Winnipeg can blow goats

On 5/11/2022 at 10:14 AM, CoachX said:

Ya, I don't blame Clarke on that at all. A lot of Lindros was on Lindros. I'm forever stuck on a reliable story I heard about how he mistreated his girlfriend (back in the day) and generally acted around people and basically put, he was a dick. Wish we'd never made that deal and kept Forsberg. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, GrittyForever said:

Ya, I don't blame Clarke on that at all. A lot of Lindros was on Lindros. I'm forever stuck on a reliable story I heard about how he mistreated his girlfriend (back in the day) and generally acted around people and basically put, he was a dick. Wish we'd never made that deal and kept Forsberg. 

there that magical hindsight 😁

I won't regret the "what might have been". For all we know, Forsberg ends up damaged goods once Homey-Bob gets their mitts on him

I loved the Lindros era

On 5/11/2022 at 1:18 PM, FD19372 said:

Lindros and his entitled parents created a new column on scouting reports. "parent factor". Not to give REC a pass, but Bonnie was calling him at 3 in the morning with power play strategies. Shes a freak. She should have taught her sons to keep their head up. He was fun to watch though.

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

7 minutes ago, flyer4ever said:

Lindros and his entitled parents created a new column on scouting reports. "parent factor". Not to give REC a pass, but Bonnie was calling him at 3 in the morning with power play strategies. Shes a freak. She should have taught her sons to keep their head up. He was fun to watch though.

In stating that I wouldn't change the past if I could (as it pertains to the Flyers), I'm inclined to side with Flyer management on the Lindros saga

what that has to do with Barry Trotz being fired? I have no friggin clue

:PostAward4:

24 minutes ago, flyer4ever said:

Not to give REC a pass, but Bonnie was calling him at 3 in the morning with power play strategies.

Caller ID and voicemail is your friend...

To be clear, I don't exonerate the Lindros camp. There is no question there was some insanity there.

But the General Manager of the hockey team went completely unhinged. He made it personal and there's no bigger sin in dealing with professional relationships.

Like it or not, the entire fate of your franchise sat on the shoulders of the guy wearing #88.

And Bob Clarke went to pieces because someone's mom called him on the phone too much.

Nobody handled the situation well.

The Flyers blew it.

• Like 1

So the Islanders fired and hired a coach in less than a week, and Trotz who got fired a week ago is already interviewing with Winnipeg. Meanwhile the Flyers who hasn't had a real head coach since 2021 are ''getting closer to starting their interviews.'' There really are no words.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Goon said:

So the Islanders fired and hired a coach in less than a week, and Trotz who got fired a week ago is already interviewing with Winnipeg. Meanwhile the Flyers who hasn't had a real head coach since 2021 are ''getting closer to starting their interviews.'' There really are no words.

the very definition of pure insanity .....

BTW ..welcome  to HF.net!

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Goon said:

Welcome to the forum.

I swear you couldn't find a more inept management team if you tried. 

• Like 2
  • Uggh... 1

9 hours ago, CoachX said:

there that magical hindsight 😁

I won't regret the "what might have been". For all we know, Forsberg ends up damaged goods once Homey-Bob gets their mitts on him

I loved the Lindros era

It's not really hindsight, at the time a lot of people thought Forsberg was going to be a star player and although it's never certain with young players, those that did felt Philly paid too much for the big guy. But of course, he fit the idea Clarke had of Flyers hockey better, or so he thought. Forsberg actually turned out to be pretty tough too. 

Just a pity Scott Stevens wasn't a Flyer at the same time as Lindros. 

• Like 2