Jvr Called Out By Laviolette; Healthy Scratch Last Night?

Guest brelic

From http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/flyers/20111104_Flyers_coach_Laviolette_unhappy_with_van_Riemsdyk.html

JAMES van Riemsdyk arrived at the Flyers practice facility in Voorhees, N.J. for a noon meeting yesterday less than 12 hours after returning from Buffalo on a postgame charter.

Van Riemsdyk was feeling fresh, not at all sluggish from a bone-crunching hit along the boards with 6:20 to play in Buffalo.

In fact, van Riemsdyk even skated briefly in an option practice to shake off any lingering cobwebs, a normal game-day routine to get his blood flowing.

He arrived at the Wells Fargo Center at his normal time last night, fully expecting to play in last night's 4-3 shootout loss to the Devils. He kept to his normal pregame ritual. He took part in the Flyers' pregame warmups, skating on his line with Danny Briere and newcomer Sean Couturier.

Then, van Riemsdyk was scratched from the lineup without explanation.

According to a team source, speaking to the Daily News last night on a condition of anonymity, Flyers coach Peter Laviolette was "especially critical" of van Riemsdyk's performance on Wednesday night - despite the fact that he scored a highlight-reel goal against the Sabres - and called him out during a team meeting.

Officially, the Flyers said van Riemsdyk is "day-to-day" with a nondescript "lower-body injury."

Contrary to reports, van Riemsdyk was slightly injured on a hit from the Sabres' Andrej Sekera late in the game, but it was not his knee that was affected. Van Riemsdyk tweaked his groin or hip area, as he was stretching out to move the puck when he was awkwardly crunched on the boards. Still, it was not an injury that would have normally kept him out of last night's game.

"He could have played and expected to play," the team source said.

Van Riemsdyk played 14:12 in the Flyers' win against Buffalo, which was not a season-low. He also collected an assist on Couturier's first-period tally in that game. Neither his play nor his on-ice work ethic appeared to be a departure from the norm.

Van Riemsdyk, 22, signed a 6-year, $25.5 million contract extension with the Flyers last summer, which does not kick in until next season.

He really needs to put a better effort in on a consistant basis. He's getting paid well, it's time to start earning it. He showed us all how good he can be against the Bruins last season. He doesn't need to be that good every game, just somewhere between that and what he's giving us.

Do you see any particular laziness or lack of effort by JVR? I don't know that I do. I just think he's off to a little bit of a slow start and is stuck on a line that just doesn't make sense to me. That said, I have no problem sitting a kid down for a game and letting him watch. Hopefully it lights a fire.

rux- does he resemble, even slightly, the player who was a bull moose against the Bruins? Cause I'm not seeing that out of him, at all. Maybe he just needs a scar on his face, or an MS13 tattoo across his forehead or something?

No, he definitely doesn't look like the guy in the Bruins series, or even the Buffalo series.

His play in the playoffs was one big reason why Homer felt he could roll the dice and ship out both Richards and Carter. He better start showing his boss that he was right.

Contrary to reports, van Riemsdyk was slightly injured on a hit from the Sabres' Andrej Sekera late in the game, but it was not his knee that was affected. Van Riemsdyk tweaked his groin or hip area, as he was stretching out to move the puck when he was awkwardly crunched on the boards. Still, it was not an injury that would have normally kept him out of last night's game.

According to this statement JVR wasn't benched. His skating overall hasn't been as strong this year as what he started out int the pre-season. Wondering if this slight groin pull has been bothering him for awhile?

He (JvR) needs solid line mates.

When Schenn comes back JvR and Read would look great flanking him.

Lavy is turning into the Andy Reid of NHL head coaching. (Oh crap did I make a Kauto-esque reference?)

I just don't get some of his moves, i.e., Shelley on a line with Briere? Simmonds in the shootout? Orange ties for all home games?

And you know what? He deserved to be called out and benched. This maddening inconsistency has been his mark since he came to the league. If I haven't seen what his capabilities are in the last playoffs, I wouldn't even be so upset. But the guy can flat out dominate the game, when he pouts his mind to it. Somebody needs to push his ass and drill it into his head that the half-ass effort will not be tolerated in this league.

Imagine if this guy plays with a heart of Lappy every night! He would be deadly.

And you know what? He deserved to be called out and benched. This maddening inconsistency has been his mark since he came to the league. If I haven't seen what his capabilities are in the last playoffs, I wouldn't even be so upset. But the guy can flat out dominate the game, when he pouts his mind to it. Somebody needs to push his ass and drill it into his head that the half-ass effort will not be tolerated in this league.

Imagine if this guy plays with a heart of Lappy every night! He would be deadly.

Agree 1000%, MadDog. It's even more critical that he brings it this year with the offensive losses of Richards, Carter, and Leino. IMO, part of the reasons those trades happened is the Flyers expectation that JVR was taking the next step this year...so far he has regressed from his playoff performance last year.

Agree 1000%, MadDog. It's even more critical that he brings it this year with the offensive losses of Richards, Carter, and Leino. IMO, part of the reasons those trades happened is the Flyers expectation that JVR was taking the next step this year...so far he has regressed from his playoff performance last year.

And so far he doesn't even resemble a player who can fill those shoes, which, I am sure, is what makes Laviolette upset..... or at least a part of a reason. JVR didn't look anything like a player who was the only one who actually showed up to play against Boston last year.

He (JvR) needs solid line mates.

When Schenn comes back JvR and Read would look great flanking him.

Lavy is turning into the Andy Reid of NHL head coaching. (Oh crap did I make a Kauto-esque reference?)

I just don't get some of his moves, i.e., Shelley on a line with Briere? Simmonds in the shootout? Orange ties for all home games?

I've yet to form an opinion of Schenn, and I'm hoping that JVR rights his ship. Its the Simmonds guy that kinda has me scratching. He's got great wheels, but seems easily knocked off the puck. I'm not sure that Read can deliver much more.

And so far he doesn't even resemble a player who can fill those shoes, which, I am sure, is what makes Laviolette upset..... or at least a part of a reason. JVR didn't look anything like a player who was the only one who actually showed up to play against Boston last year.

And that's the puzzling part. Players get hot/cold..he just looks lost, and I don't see the effort. The lost part may be on Lavy as he changes lines like we change underwear. The effort part is 100% on JVR and HAS to change.

@Illflyaway

I was thinking along the line of have Read be the finisher, JvR the banger and Schenn centering the line. That is a fast line with a little time may be able to generate some offensive threats.

My only concern with this is, what to do with Courts when Schenn returns.

Do you see any particular laziness or lack of effort by JVR? I don't know that I do. I just think he's off to a little bit of a slow start and is stuck on a line that just doesn't make sense to me. That said, I have no problem sitting a kid down for a game and letting him watch. Hopefully it lights a fire.

I wasn't seeing it either. At least not compared to parts of his first season during which I thought his streakiness was more obvious. But that was a learning season. But this year, I could point at other players before JVR. I find this pretty interesting. Wonder if this is the only thing going on or if it's something else.

I wasn't seeing it either. At least not compared to parts of his first season during which I thought his streakiness was more obvious. But that was a learning season. But this year, I could point at other players before JVR. I find this pretty interesting. Wonder if this is the only thing going on or if it's something else.

I was complaining about him a couple of games ago and some were telling me it's too early to be worried and **** like that. Since then he hadthe2 goals against the jets, a goal against Buff... I figured he was turning it around and NOW he gets benched. Interesting. I felt he needed some sort of wake up call but to send the message after he starts scoring is what is interesting to me. I wonder if there's an attitude thing going on here as well. People can't deny though that lofty expectations of him this season are not out of line. The departure of Richards and Carter and his new deal in the offseason all but spelled out, JVR and Giroux, this team is now yours. Giroux is holding up his end of the bargain, JVR, not so much so a message needed to be sent, the timing is a bit odd though

It is a shame, by all reports JVR worked his butt off this summer to get into shape. Didn't JVR start off really slowly last year and come on and didn't he confront Chara after Chara hit Giroux earlier in the season? In any case, as coach I would not have started with JVR. Vorachuk and Simmonds to mention two have looked at lot more inconsistent than JVR. Anyway, I just don't get Lavy's moves.

It is a shame, by all reports JVR worked his butt off this summer to get into shape. Didn't JVR start off really slowly last year and come on and didn't he confront Chara after Chara hit Giroux earlier in the season? In any case, as coach I would not have started with JVR. Vorachuk and Simmonds to mention two have looked at lot more inconsistent than JVR. Anyway, I just don't get Lavy's moves.

the more that's coming out... it sounds like this was all just erroneous reporting. the flyers are all saying it is injury and he's unlikely for dat as well.