Fletcher wants yor input for next coach ........ (cool question I read in an article)

pilldoc

Chuck Fletcher wants your input for interviewing the next Flyers coach. What four questions would you have the candidate answer in order to evaluate his fit with the existing and future players?

Some cool answers .....what are yours?

1. If you determined that a player needed to be disciplined in some way — healthy scratch, decreased minutes — how would you go about communicating the decision to the player, and how would you work toward doing so in a way that ensures that the player/coach relationship is not irreversibly damaged?

2. If a young prospect with limited NHL experience is struggling for two consecutive weeks, outline the broad strokes of what your strategy would be to address the situation for the good of the player and team.

3. If your personal evaluation of a player on our roster and the analytics department’s evaluation of him dramatically differ, how would you go about reacting to and reconciling that disparity?

4. Imagine for a moment that our organization has developed a way to accurately judge the quality of our players on a 0-100 scale. Player A is a 20-year-old rookie who performs 15 points above his true talent in a third of his games, 15 points below his true talent in another third, and right around his true talent in the final third. Player B is a 34-year-old veteran with significant playoff experience who plays to his true talent level in 90 percent of his games (5 percent of the time he’ll play significantly better, 5 percent significantly worse). They both play the same role. How many points higher on our 0-100 scale would Player A have to score for you to start him on a nightly basis over the safer, more reliable veteran Player B?

• Like 3

Do I believe a professional sports team manager would ask fans what questions he should use to evaluate talent? No.

Do I believe Chuck Fletcher would? Yes.

Are you for real Chuck?

Have you ever actually watched a hockey game?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

All names that fans come up with, (for a head coach, not Fletcher :bigteeth:) will be put into a Flyer hat.. and then will be immediately discarded, if they don't contain the name Rick Tocchet.

Edited by FD19372
  • Like 1

@pilldoc

I read this article too.

It was a cool question and Charlie's answers were very thoughtful. 

I really liked the questions surrounding young players.

I'll have to think about this and see if I have any to add.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Fizz said:

Is this for real?

Only Chuck and Flyer management could think this is a good idea.

Good lord this franchise needs a top down purge.

I would love for someone to tell him to fire himself and hear his rebuttal to that one...

5 hours ago, Fizz said:

Is this for real?

No, this is from a Charlie O'Connor mailbag article. It was a question posed by a reader.

A thought exercise.

I thought it was interesting and I liked Charlie's "questions".

@pilldoc

I'm sure personnel will be changed maybe 4 or 5 new faces...but not everyone can be traded so there needs to be a different vibe in room and I think the coach needs to be a big part of that. 

A question I would ask would be how the coach intends to change the culture?

I would point to the late game collapses and the attitude that seemed to permeate the team when adversity struck.

There was no "fight" in the team, I don't mean gooning it up I mean, being hard to play against. I would ask what steps this coach would take to reset the room?

6 hours ago, Fizz said:

Is this for real?

as @mojo1917 mentioned…. This was a question posed by a reader to Charlie O’Connor who wrote a great article for The Athletic, a paid subscription sports site.

it’s actually a great exercise in critical thinking. So many times fans bitch and moan about the hiring process. This is a great opportunity to put ourselves in Chuck’s shoes.  

So, the question begs to be asked….what would you ask a potential head coach during the hiring process.?

• Good Post 1

On 5/22/2022 at 11:27 AM, OccamsRazor said:

would love for someone to tell him to fire himself and hear his rebuttal to that one..

he would screw it up

:PostAward4:

• Haha 1

On 5/22/2022 at 5:54 PM, pilldoc said:

So, the question begs to be asked….what would you ask a potential head coach during the hiring process.?

Will you take the job?

• Haha 2

No offense to whoever came up with this - and it is an interesting thing to kick around I guess. But before the Flyers make the phone call they already know the answers to the What if X and What if Y questions. The NHL is a small world in that sense; everybody knows everybody. If the Flyers were unsure how a candidate handles struggling players he wouldn't be on their radar in the first place. For all of Dave Scott's "blank check" talk I bet the discussions will be almost entirely about the contract.

I am not a GM and I have never coached a sports team at any level in my life. I am not saying this isn't a nice idea, but really if these fans submit these questions are they actually using them in this process? I think not. These executives in the front office already know exactly what they want to ask and that is what they are going to ask. 

I am a fan and I am here to bitch and cheer about all things the team does. I am not here to be a part in the decision making of hiring, draft selection, trades, free agent signings. After they are done by the GM I as a fan am fully entitled to either bitch or cheer about it all I want though. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Gritty Fanatic said:

I am not a GM and I have never coached a sports team at any level in my life. I am not saying this isn't a nice idea, but really if these fans submit these questions are they actually using them in this process? I think not. These executives in the front office already know exactly what they want to ask and that is what they are going to ask. 

I am a fan and I am here to bitch and cheer about all things the team does. I am not here to be a part in the decision making of hiring, draft selection, trades, free agent signings. After they are done by the GM I as a fan am fully entitled to either bitch or cheer about it all I want though. 

first off welcome to the site…..

with regards to post…. As I and mojo mentioned above ….

This was a question posed by a reader to Charlie O’Connor who wrote a great article for The Athletic, a paid subscription sports site.

it’s actually a great exercise in critical thinking. So many times fans bitch and moan about the hiring process. This is a great opportunity to put ourselves in Chuck’s shoes. 

and from @mojo1917

It was a question posed by a reader.

A thought exercise.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

first off welcome to the site…..

with regards to post…. As I and mojo mentioned above ….

This was a question posed by a reader to Charlie O’Connor who wrote a great article for The Athletic, a paid subscription sports site.

and from @mojo1917

It was a question posed by a reader.

A thought exercise.

It isn't that I don't think putting ourselves in the GM's shoes is a great thing as I attempt to do that sort of thing in a very minor way in the Fantasy League I participate in with players. I guess I just wouldn't really know what to ask in that situation because I don't really have that business sense of mind. As you stated it is quite the exercise in critical thinking. I am more once the decisions have been made by those business people the type of person to either support the decision enthusiatically or bitch to no end. I guess that is why I am a pretty strong fan. :)

Thank You for the welcome. I actually have been lurking 3 hockey sites throughout the playoffs and today being off of work due to the holiday I decided to join here because it really seemed like this forum had a lot of Flyers content and the format seemed set up really well. It also seems like there are quite a few great threads to discuss hockey under which I have already responded to. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Gritty Fanatic said:

Fantasy League I participate in with players.

We have FHL here also .... It is a 2 Tiered League.  Yahoo H2H Daily League.  2 Leagues each with 12 GM's.  Top 6 in All Star remain in All Star.  Top 6 in Conn Smythe move up to All Star while the bottom 6 in All Star get relegated to Conn Smythe for the following year.

image.png.9700842998670d09f2828d8c3fea2558.png

Let me know if you are interested .....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pilldoc said:

We have FHL here also .... It is a 2 Tiered League.  Yahoo H2H Daily League.  2 Leagues each with 12 GM's.  Top 6 in All Star remain in All Star.  Top 6 in Conn Smythe move up to All Star while the bottom 6 in All Star get relegated to Conn Smythe for the following year.

image.png.9700842998670d09f2828d8c3fea2558.png

Let me know if you are interested .....

Thanks, that sounds fantastic. 

So I would start out in the Conn Smythe and go from there? Sounds great to me. Let me know when you all draft?

4 minutes ago, Gritty Fanatic said:

Thanks, that sounds fantastic. 

So I would start out in the Conn Smythe and go from there? Sounds great to me. Let me know when you all draft?

Yes ...you would start in  Conn Smythe.  Send me a PM with your name and e-mail address and I will add you to my list.  I will probably be addressing our FHL sometime in August, finalizing spots in Sept. with a Draft usually the 1st week in Oct.

Thanks for being interested.

Thanks

~doc

and yes I am the League Commmish for our HF.net league.

2 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

Yes ...you would start in  Conn Smythe.  Send me a PM with your name and e-mail address and I will add you to my list.  I will probably be addressing our FHL sometime in August, finalizing spots in Sept. with a Draft usually the 1st week in Oct.

Thanks for being interested.

Thanks

~doc

and yes I am the League Commmish for our HF.net league.

Thanks doc, I will send you that now.