Flyers Draft: Round 1 - Overall #5 Cutter Gauthier (C / LW)

15 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Making **** up, to feel better? because a team didn't pick the question mark you wanted is just mean spirited assholery.

If you just need a safe space where you don't have to hear negative opinions, maybe a hockey board isn't for you.

I don't know anything about these guys, because I don't follow junior hockey.  Even people who do for a living only have a 50-50 chance of being right.  I'm just going by the comments/links posted above and the first one which is largely positive says he could be good if they fix his skating.  My one request was to draft the best skater at the top of the draft.

26 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

"Issues with skating" I haven't seen until I saw it here.

Where have people seen Gauthier is a bad skater?

I haven't seen that anywhere. 

I've seen "NHL average", I've seen "excellent top end speed" and "good quickness " 

I can understand being just whelmed or Flyers forum standard underwhelmed by the pick because...  actually I don't know.

I suspect the overwhelming negativity that's been surrounding this team in this space has more to do with the sentiment in this thread than the actual player.

Who is the stud game breaker in this draft? Cooley? he wasn't there @5, Savoie? Kasper? Letterimaki? 

This isn't the year that kid is around @ 5 according to every ****** scout that does draft analysis. A lot if them say that kid isn't in this draft period...maybe Slafovski.

Making **** up, to feel better? because a team didn't pick the question mark you wanted is just mean spirited assholery.

Really good post.  I wasn't thrilled with the pick and still am not, but I had always seen the skating as a strength -- though unremarkable.

When the time comes, he'll need a center.  I suspect the Flyers will try to square peg/round hole him into center.  If they do, they'll waste another young player.  That's not really about Cutter; that's more about the Flyers.

Honestly, I go Jiricek at 5.  I think they missed the opportunity for a top end RD.  Instead, in a couple years we'll be trading players and picks for someone else's failed pick and grossly overpaying him for absurdly too long.

After that, I would have preferred Savoie.  I think his ceiling is much higher, even if his floor might be lower.  I'm sure his size was a factor, and maybe with Brink, York, and Frost they didn't want to go too much that direction. You know  Flyers image and all that.

It's far from a horrific pick. There is reason to be optimistic.  I just think we had better options there. As always, I guess time will tell.

The darkly pessimistic Flyers fan in me keeps asking the question:  how long until the injuries start?

• Like 3

I think it's fine. Most stuff I've read projects him to be a gritty mid six winger with finishing ability. Any good team needs those guys, and if he ends up fitting that role well, then he'll be worth the pick for sure. It's not like Fletch went off the board and grabbed something that just didn't make sense for the pick. Let's give the kid time before we throw him to the hounds.

The one thing I desperately hope is that Fletch won't put pressure on him to be on the team next year. I know he's a fairly big guy, but this team is no where near contention, and he's certainly not going to change that score. Just let him develop and grow for now and ffs at least try to make sure he's ready before bringing him to the NHL. The habit of thrusting promising players onto the team too quickly is beyond aggravating at this point.

• Like 2
  • Good Post 2

31 minutes ago, FireDillabaugh said:

https://thehockeywriters.com/cutter-gauthier-2022-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/

Not the only report out there that questions the "cerebral" side of his game and his shift-to-shift consistency.  As well as the pass reception issues.  But yes, the NHL caliber skating ability that he already has is mentioned often as well.

Just to add to the fire, you know Cutter's dad and Schmuck have history together, right?

IF, and If my aunt had balls....... IF Seattle had beaten Winnipeg with a 3 goal 3rd period lead, last game of the season,  Shayne Wright would have been available for the Flyers to draft at 4. Would Chuckles have chosen him though?  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

I suspect the overwhelming negativity that's been surrounding this team and this forum in this space has more to do with the sentiment in this thread than the actual player.

FIFY

:PopcornSmiley2:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, ctid said:

NHL Draft picks 2022: Live results, grades, complete list of selections from Round 1 | Sporting News

2022 NHL Draft Tracker: Grading every pick in the first round (usatoday.com)

They're like butts, everyone has one.

This isn't directed soley at you, I was leary of Jiricek and his knee injury.

The organization has had a tough time with knees, Allison, Morin, Couturier... I can see where that may have affected his ranking with the Flyers. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ruxpin said:

I wasn't thrilled with the pick and still am not, but I had always seen the skating as a strength -- though unremarkable.

I have to say i can not skate. I am trying to trust the experts (i know try not to laugh) that they know if they can fix this IF this is an issue.

I have not followed the kid like i have in years past just have reduced my time towards anything Flyers because well it is depressing.

But Coots had skating issues and he fixed it is would venture to say or it has gotten way better for him to play in the best league in the world and he has al teast a Selke to show for it i mean i can't see how you win that and not be able to skate.

However i remember Matthew Strome and him having skating ability and well he is about to be 24 and well only in the AHL at best. Not sure if that is due to skating or what.

When the time comes, he'll need a center.  I suspect the Flyers will try to square peg/round hole him into center. 

From what i read he was labeled a Center/RW not sure which he is and have to trust them i guess. But what i found strange in his post draft interview he says which i like he will do whatever the team needs weather that is play center or "left wing".....

....not sure if he just got his wings mixed up or someone had actually mentioned him playing LW. Any way i am just going to sit back and watch how this all unfolds. What else can i do.

Edited by OccamsRazor
left something out

2 hours ago, FireDillabaugh said:

The issue is if a 2nd line wing/3rd line center is the type of player you select at 5. 

Honestly that’s a pretty solid find at fifth. Drafts yearly are littered with fifth overall picks who don’t reach that level of play. 

True first line talent is a rare commodity. They’re generally obtained in one of two ways: 1) the team in question is picking when there’s a slam dunk elite talent available; 2) the team gets lucky with a guy who was never projected to be as good as he eventually turns out to be (e.g Giroux).  

There was no player who fit option one at fifth. Most often the players who end up as option two are projected to be mid six players, and they end up exceeding expectations. 

so why not Gauthier? Will Savoie be better? Maybe. It’s a toss up at best. Some other player? Always possible. In fact, it’s statiscally almost a certainty that some players drafted after Gauthier will end up better than him. But there’s no obvious way to make that guess. If there were, teams would get it right far more consistently than they actually do. 

There’s nothing glaring about Gauthier that makes him an obvious overreach or anything. He was drafted in around where he was expected to be drafted. 

Edited by elmatus
  • Like 2
  • Good Post 1

3 hours ago, elmatus said:

The one thing I desperately hope is that Fletch won't put pressure on him to be on the team next year.

I sure hope they learned a lot with Nolan Patrick.

I know rushing him was on Hextall but Chuckles was there to see the results of that (and yeah it wasn't only that which ruined Patrick injuries too) but still had he been returned to juniors who knows where he would be today...

• Like 1

Honestly, I go Jiricek at 5.  I think they missed the opportunity for a top end RD.

I feel certain given the recent history with injuries, picking a guy with a "knee" wasn't popular in the room. 

I thought Nemec was that guy to pick. 

I was really surprised Knight fell to 4.  But reading about it since, it seems a lot of scouts didn't see him take over games the way #1s should.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I feel certain given the recent history with injuries, picking a guy with a "knee" wasn't popular in the room

Yeah, that's a really great point.   That was actually my hesitation a couple weeks ago and even more recently, but didn't think about it last night.   Game vs. game, I still wanted Jiricek over Nemec, but would have loved Nemec, too.  He was no longer available, obviously.

The pick is made, so now we shall see.    The good news (or bad, YMMV) about the DeAngelo trade is now this group will have three less picks to critique.

33 minutes ago, flyer4ever said:

IF Seattle had beaten Winnipeg with a 3 goal 3rd period lead, last game of the season,  Shayne Wright would have been available for the Flyers to draft at 4. Would Chuckles have chosen him though?  

THIS!!!

I why i refuse to get my hope up to expect this team to stink enough for Bedard.

And then i'll even present to you Nolan Patrick followed by one James Van Riemsdyk....the defense rest your honor....off to the Lake good day.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

But what i found strange in his post draft interview he says which i like he will do whatever the team needs weather that is play center or "left wing".....

I think this speaks to his desire to play wherever.

Have a good weekend!

18 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Why?

Not really sure, just feeling I guess.

I remember when JVR was supposed to be the next power forward superstar. Look how that turned out lol.

I also think the power forward in the NHL is going the way of the dinosaurs. 

12 minutes ago, FireDillabaugh said:

Not necessarily true.  Not when that forward can skate well.  And Cutter does skate well.  Just look at Kreider as one clear example.  A player that Cutter is actually compared to by a number of sources.

Yes, big and slow does not work in the NHL, and hasn't for years.  But, when size and skating ability can be found it's rare.  I still believe he was selected to high.  But, he does have some strengths to his game.  And, comparing him to JVR is so far off.  Just watching Cutter's game at this point in his career clearly shows that. 

Hope you are right, but I will reserve my decision.

I still say power forwards are over rated.

• Like 1