Flyers Draft: Round 1 - Overall #5 Cutter Gauthier (C / LW)

I know nothing of this kid 'cept he's on offense.  Hope he turns out to be a good one, heck the law of averages says he HAS TO be, right? :NinjaLookLeftRight1:

LET'S GO FLY-ERS

👏

👏

👏👏👏    

Edited by pilldoc
  • Like 1

• pilldoc changed the title to Flyers Draft: Round 1 - Overall #5 Cutter Gauthier (C / LW)
  • pilldoc pinned this topic

https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2022/7/3/23192775/cutter-gauthier-2022-nhl-draft-prospect-profile-scouting-report-rankings-bit-of-everythin-usntdp

The 6’3” centre is about as close as one can get to a modern-day power forward. His blend of decent pace and solid framework makes him scary when he attacks the neutral zone, moving his feet constantly and using his shoulders and hands efficiently to shield the puck and cut into dangerous ice.

He can burn defenders with pure speed, or push through them with his wide base and upper-body strength. Although some technical refinement is needed — his slightly upright torso and lack of knee bend limit his protection mechanics a bit — he projects well due to his lower-body strength as well as his willingness to push the pace and initiate contact.

The best-case scenario for Gauthier, however, is that he irons out his skating and playmaking to become a true top-six or even top-line goal-scoring centre with defensive and transitional value

https://thehockeywriters.com/cutter-gauthier-2022-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/

As one would hope for a prospect who’s 6-foot-3, Gauthier brings physicality to his overall 200-foot game. He has the strength to fend off attackers, knocking them off the puck in the defensive zone, and lay the body to create turnovers in the offensive zone. He loves to get involved in scrums when he gets the chance. 

On top of that, he has NHL-caliber skating ability. He has shown that he can be explosive coming out of the defensive zone and generates a lot of breakaways. Not only that, but it’s very difficult to both knock him off balance and off the puck, which contributes to a relentless forechecking ability. He’s very strong with the puck on his stick. Whether it’s attacking a defender out wide, or cutting through defenders up the middle, his ability to carry the puck over the blue line allows for his team to enter and set up their offense. He loves to shoot and will shoot from anywhere. He not only has a strong and accurate wrist shot, but he can fire it off quickly. He’s on pace for 40 goals in 38 United States Hockey League (USHL) games with the NTDP.

While Gauthier is dangerous with the puck on his stick, and his willingness and ability to shoot from anywhere have their merits, he may need to be a bit wiser with his shot selection. Some bad-angle shots, if missing the net, can inadvertently start a breakout or odd-man rush for the opposing team. Late in games, especially close games, that could be a major problem. On that note, he can be careless with the puck at times and look for high-danger plays instead of making the safe play. 

While Gauthier is dangerous with the puck on his stick, and his willingness and ability to shoot from anywhere have their merits, he may need to be a bit wiser with his shot selection. Some bad-angle shots, if missing the net, can inadvertently start a breakout or odd-man rush for the opposing team. Late in games, especially close games, that could be a major problem. On that note, he can be careless with the puck at times and look for high-danger plays instead of making the safe play. 

“Gauthier has the tools that can make you easily envision him in the NHL. He has a thick [6-foot-2] frame and can skate like an NHL player. With his size and speed he can overpower opponents to force turnovers or in how he attacks the net. Gauthier can create with his skating and skill, but his main offensive weapon is his shot. He can pick corners from distance with a powerful wrist shot. He can make some plays but isn’t the most cerebral player, which could limit his offensive production as he advances levels. I see him as a middle six forward, either a second line winger or a third line center.” – Corey Pronman (from, ‘The 2022 NHL Draft ranking: Pronman’s Top 32 Prospects at the midseason mark,’ The Athletic, Jan. 19, 2022)

“Overall, there is a LOT to like about Gauthier’s entire game. He can be relied upon to get the job done in every single role he’s cast into and is certainly in the minds of his opponents whenever his skates touch the ice. If he can simply fine tune some of the “rough around the edges” aspects to his game mentioned above, as well as continue his developmental path, he’ll be a force to be reckoned with in the not-so-distant future.” – Paul Zuk, Smaht Scouting

“Gauthier is a power forward with higher-end skill than your average player of his cut. His presence is felt on every shift, throwing his body around and getting involved in every scrum he can.… Gauthier has a very intriguing package that NHL teams should start to look at in the middle of the first. He likely becomes a contributing bottom-six forward, but does have the tools to be a player that moves up and down the lineup and performs.” – Josh Bell, FC Hockey

Strengths

• Explosive skating and edge-work
  • Wrist shot
  • Two-way play
  • Positional versatility
  • Special teams reliability

Strengths

• Explosive skating and edge-work
  • Wrist shot
  • Two-way play
  • Positional versatility
  • Special teams reliability

NHL Potential

Gauthier has the potential to fit in several slots on an NHL lineup due to his positional flexibility, and it’ll make him a valuable player to any team; contending or building. However, the middle-six forward role may be his most suitable spot. He could be that second-line, play-driving, scoring winger due to his shot, explosiveness and on-puck strength or as a third-line center who will contribute offensively, but is responsible defensively. As he continues to develop, his special teams responsibility should continue to grow and he’d be a staple on both power-play and penalty-killing units. 

An NHL comparison would be the current longest-tenured New York Ranger, Chris Kreider, who’s in the midst of a career year. The pair are of similar size and Kreider gets involved physically, has explosive speed and a strong shot. He’s a winger, but has been contributing in the faceoff dot when needed and is on pace for a career high in faceoff attempts, while this being the first season he’s really been relied on to kill penalties. If Gauthier can continue in his development in this direction, it’ll make a lot of teams happy. 

Bill Meltzer, Flyers Contributor

"Gauthier was a second-half riser in many Draft rankings, and wound up fifth in McKenzie's list and 7th on Button's list. He has a nose for the net and a combination of good size (6-foot-2 1/2, 201 pounds) and good skating ability. Gauthier is expected to play some center at Boston College but it remains to be seen whether he'll be a long-term winger, a center or a swingman depending on his linemates. He is a plus shooter and an above-average skater for a player his size. He won't dazzle with fancy plays but he wins puck battles and recognizes offensive opportunities."

35 minutes ago, Cheesesteak said:

I know nothing of this kid 'cept he's on offense.  Hope he turns out to be a good one, heck the law of averages says he HAS TO be, right? :NinjaLookLeftRight1:

LET'S GO FLY-ERS

👏

👏

👏👏👏    

Who said O’Brien, Rubstov, Patrick were necessarily the bottom of our wasted 1st round picks?

I wanted Matthew Savoie, but I'm not disappointed with this pick. He's a physical player and a goal scorer and when he fills out, he's going to be something else to deal with. 6 feet,  2 and a half inches tall,  201 pounds and you're probably looking at an additional 15 to 20 pounds that can be packed on that frame. He's also going to a great hockey program, so he's going to develop under the watch of really good people. Thank God Laperriere isn't going to sink his claws into him. 

• Like 4

I have liked every interview with this kid that I've read. 

He is a hard worker,  he has drive, he wants to improve. 

Like he read and committed to memory the Rod Brind'Amour Secrets to my Success book- the one with the forward by Nathan MacKinnon. 

For me this pick was an important one to not **** up.  

Mission accomplished.

Teams need their first picks to play. 

The Flyers have had too many not make the league. 

This kid has a good chance to be good, and the physical tools and drive to be better than that. 

Maybe next year the game breaker gets picked.

Edited by mojo1917

I'm sitting watching the draft, and I can't help but think and feel how irrelevant the Flyers currently are . Times have changed. They used to matter. Now they are in the same bottom feeder barrel as Arizona, Ottawa, Buffalo. No buzz, no hype, no plan, no direction, no identity, no character. No hope. Thanks Chuck. Would seriously like to think there are positives, prospects, reason to believe. But theres not. Until he fixes the cap hell he put himself in he has no leverage .

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

44 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

For me this pick was an important one to not **** up.  

Mission accomplished.

I mean, was it? We will find out in the next 2-3 years. This isn't showing to be "immediate help".

I don't know the draft, but it sounds like this guy was a late riser.

Jury's out.

• Like 1

Gauthier is a really good pick. I would have been content with Jirichek but Gauthier excites me more. He was the one player I thought could rise into the top 6 and he's a perfect fit for the Flyers. 

Don't kid yourself, he's 2-3 years away from being a starting Flyer, but he's the perfect pick for a Bedard tank. He will be the perfect winger for Bedard :)

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, GrittyForever said:

Don't kid yourself, he's 2-3 years away from being a starting Flyer, but he's the perfect pick for a Bedard tank. He will be the perfect winger for Bedard :)

This is exactly where they should be and we'll see what else happens this off-season.

If they have a team that is finally worth watching it will at least be an improvement.

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

The Flyers have had too many not make the league.

This is one of the biggest issues.

Even though Howie hit with the Eagles, before that him missing on some good drafts actually forced him to plug more in free agency and trades than should have ever been expected.

He just actual won big 2017 too make so many fans kind of not GAF as much now give him some slack to quickly rebuild a few years after it all going so sour so quick (a lot of it he shared some blame in)

When missing on 1st happens it forces management to reach into free agency.

Which has sort of been the Flyer's kryptonite with Chuckles at the helm.

So at least hitting on these first is crucial. Eff the rest of the picks an even bigger crap shoot.

Nice to hit on but goddamn let's nail the firsts before we up expectations like you said.

If they do that they can build a good foundation. That is what the Avs and Bolts have.

They have their foundations through drafting - and filled in with free agency and trades.

I believe their is no one way to build a roster. Find your foundation. Build around it.

Flyers have some good pieces. Hart, Provy, Konecny, Farabee and Sanheim.

Waiting to see where quiet a few kids are the York, Attard, Tippett, Forester, Wisdom, Desnoyers and Andre to name a few.

I know there are a few i didn't name no worries not to discount anyone.

And two pivotal (examples) 1sts like Rubstov are (24) and O'Brien (22) are well, great examples. German is a bust.

Waiting to see how next college season goes before making a call on O'Brien then will 23 many have written him off and maybe rightfully so.

I won't say they are more wrong than i am right.

So i guess we can wait for about what at least 4 years minimum before we know aboot Goat-tee-yah and his potential.

But from what i have read film i seen on him i like it. I hope this #19 (number i seen him wear in a few clips) actually hits and sticks.

So i will make no claims on a kid so many times moving into manhood is not guaranteed or even a straight path.

Any ways headed off to the Lake for a few days to unwind and some up some rays and enjoy some food and drink and Mary Jane is stopping by.

Enjoy my friend.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, FireDillabaugh said:

Won't be holding my breath on whether he'll become a worthy 5th overall pick. 

Yep hard to project boys to men and i'm not talking about R&B.

I have not been keeping up with scouting as much as years pass this team has me in the dumps wasting time thinking about them much.

Expect the worst, hope for the best....the Flyer way!!! I really like Savoie i hope he doesn't become a thorn in the side with the Sabres in a few years.

• Like 1

"Issues with skating" I haven't seen until I saw it here.

Where have people seen Gauthier is a bad skater?

I haven't seen that anywhere. 

I've seen "NHL average", I've seen "excellent top end speed" and "good quickness " 

I can understand being just whelmed or Flyers forum standard underwhelmed by the pick because...  actually I don't know.

I suspect the overwhelming negativity that's been surrounding this team in this space has more to do with the sentiment in this thread than the actual player.

Who is the stud game breaker in this draft? Cooley? he wasn't there @5, Savoie? Kasper? Letterimaki? 

This isn't the year that kid is around @ 5 according to every ****** scout that does draft analysis. A lot if them say that kid isn't in this draft period...maybe Slafovski.

Making **** up, to feel better? because a team didn't pick the question mark you wanted is just mean spirited assholery.

• Like 4

From a Bleacher Report article

His catch-and-release is high-caliber and he absolutely rips it, making him a threat from distance. He similarly can pick corners while in stride, lending further credibility to his transition offense. What's key here is that, while Gauthier can torch teams with his one-timer, he can create his own shot and score in different scenarios; he's not a passenger waiting for his teammates to set him up.

Isn't that what a majority of us have been screaming about for years?   We need a finisher.  He is that in spades.

• Thanks 1
  • Good Post 2