The Flyers fans Rant Thread after D-Day (Disaster Day)

pilldoc

How do you really feel?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Rate the Flyers off season so far. (includes Trades / FA signings)

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F
  2. 2. Rate the Flyers Draft

• A - Outstanding
    • B- - Good
    • C - OK
    • D- Meh - could have been better
    • F - Epic Failure
  3. 3. How many games do the Flyers win this season?

• 50+ (Stanley Cup Bound)
    • 45-50 (Playoff Bound)
    • 35-45 (Close but no playoffs)
    • 25-35 (just a bad hockey team)
    • less than 25 (horrifically bad and in the chase for Bedard)
  4. 4. Will you watch this team at all this year .....

• Hell Yes! - I am a die hard fan no matter what
    • Yes but not as many games as in years past
    • No - the occasional score check and if I am bored or into FHL
    • Hell No! - this team is a train wreck and a disaster and not worth my time this year.
  5. 5. When do you think Fletch gets fired

• Oct. (start of the season 10-15 games in)
    • Nov or Dec (15-35 games in)
    • Jan or Feb (35-50 games in)
    • After Feb (50 + games in)
    • He will not be fired during the season

I am not a fan of Larry Brooks.  I've occasionally stepped on his doppelgangers when in my yard after the neighbor dog has been loose in it for 30 minutes.

But he's not wrong.

https://nypost.com/2022/07/16/johnny-gaudreau-shouldnt-be-ripped-for-decision-to-sign-with-blue-jackets/

I have no idea why the Flyers did not make an honest effort to clear enough space to sign Gaudreau, and I am skeptical that Philadelphia general manager Chuck Fletcher could cogently explain this decision. The Flyers are a mess. Fletcher has been a GM in the NHL for 13 years, the first nine of which with the Wild. His teams have won a grand total of two playoff rounds.

• Like 2

On 7/17/2022 at 4:47 PM, SCFlyguy said:

You can definitely fault Hextall's drafting - he drafted some good players, but no stars and definitely no superstars.

The bigger fault is that he tried to turn around the team without really rebuilding.  This seems like it was a mandate from above given what's transpired since, but we don't know for sure if he actually agreed with this approach or not.

You can't rebuild a bad team drafting in the middle of the first round. Hextall's drafts weren't horrible, his mandate to remain mediocre while trying to rebuild was his sin. And that was a corporate decision. 

Chuckles MO of giving away draft picks like candy ensures the hot mess the Flyers are will continue for another decade. Add to that the ludicrous contracts he has signed and traded for assures it. Honestly, how can an entire hockey ops be so effing stupid.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, ruxpin said:

I have no idea why the Flyers did not make an honest effort to clear enough space to sign Gaudreau

They had the space. They decided not to do it.

It's better for them to take the anger of fans for not being able to clear cap space over a rational business decision not to commit $9+M and commit to LTIR on Ellis.

16 minutes ago, radoran said:

It's better for them to take the anger of fans for not being able to clear cap space over a rational business decision not to commit $9+M and commit to LTIR on Ellis.

For the record, that was Larry Brooks quote.  I was agreeing with him trashing Fletcher.

I'm happy they didn't get Gaudreau.

But they "decided" to not do it only after a piss poor job of planning for it.  Risto and DeAnglosaxon and lack of coherent, sober game-planning preempted them.  It wasn't about cogent decision-making.  Not a firing synapse among this crew.

If I thought for a second this was born of wisdom, I'd applaud it.  This was incompetent incompetence.

Edited by ruxpin
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

But they "decided" to not do it only after a piss poor job of planning for it.  Risto and DeAnglosaxon and lack of coherent, sober game-planning preempted them.

No doubt.

They wouldn't pull the trigger on Ellis but signed DeAngelo (by their own reasoning) to help fill that hole.

Imagine a healthy Ellis and adding a Gaudreau.

But that's why players like a healthy Ellis aren't typically available for a suite of spare parts.

10 hours ago, radoran said:

Imagine a healthy Ellis and adding a Gaudreau.

Even if this happened, I'm not convinced the team would be so vastly improved. Gaudreau's production would have made up for losing Giroux, and Ellis could never have played every shift of every game.

Gaudreau might have been a decent player to buoy the team a bit in it's rebuilding years, but I also think it would have been just more of the same. This team needs to suck. We need the hammer to come down on the decision makers, which is only going to happen if the team hits rock bottom. We also need to draft and develop some new homegrown talent. Bringing in Gaudreau would have made sucking that much harder (exactly as it did with Giroux) and ultimately just added a couple more years of mediocrity. If the org couldn't build around Giroux, they wouldn't have been able to build around Gaudreau either.

So in this way, Fletch's ineptitude actually turned out for the better I think. I also hear a big part of not moving JVR was because he didn't want to move our 1st round pick for 2023. I said this elsewhere, but that is such a massive non starter given the state of this team. Had Fletch agreed to move what is almost guaranteed to be a very high pick in a stacked draft year, it would have been a far worse result still. We need young elite talent way more than we need a 28 year old Gaudreau signed for 10M and making maybe 60-80pts at best for the next four years. This just isn't the team for a Gaudreau. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, elmatus said:

So in this way, Fletch's ineptitude actually turned out for the better I think. I also hear a big part of not moving JVR was because he didn't want to move our 1st round pick for 2023. I said this elsewhere, but that is such a massive non starter given the state of this team. Had Fletch agreed to move what is almost guaranteed to be a very high pick in a stacked draft year, it would have been a far worse result still. We need young elite talent way more than we need a 28 year old Gaudreau signed for 10M and making maybe 60-80pts at best for the next four years. This just isn't the team for a Gaudreau

Agreed. Best to just hope that JVR slips in the shower and breaks his neck.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, radoran said:

Yeah, you're right about it. Its funny, had they signed JG, there would be a lynch mob. They don't sign him, there is a lynch mob. Either way, Lynch mob. And quite frankly, its their own friggin fault. Go figure, Chuk-fuk actually does the correct thing,but it was most likely accidental,  prolly becasue he had no other options left

BLIND SQUIRREL HOCKEY

image.jpeg.a59612560b3b6dd62d3c640e9d38e67b.jpeg

1 hour ago, elmatus said:

If the org couldn't build around Giroux, they wouldn't have been able to build around Gaudreau either.

I'm certainly not advocating for Gaudreau. Just that a healthy Ellis (who wouldn't likely have been available at the price paid) plus Gaudreau minus Deangelo is a different scenario.

I don't get the concept of building around wings. They tried to shove Giroux into that box and he was almost always better on the wing.

1 hour ago, elmatus said:

I also hear a big part of not moving JVR was because he didn't want to move our 1st round pick for 2023.

Right, other teams were holding him up because he put himself in such a terrible situation.

They could have mortgaged the entire team for Gaudreau. It was "possible" - they just decided they didn't want to go through all that.

Which was the right move, for possibly the wrong reasons

#Flyers

:5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, CoachX said:

Its funny, had they signed JG, there would be a lynch mob. They don't sign him, there is a lynch mob. Either way, Lynch mob.

I think the former lynch mob would be significantly smaller than the latter.

But you set the stage for an "aggressive retool" seeking "high end talent" and come away with Tony Deangelo and Nic Deslauriers and that's not going to make anybody happy.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CoachX said:

Yeah, you're right about it. Its funny, had they signed JG, there would be a lynch mob. They don't sign him, there is a lynch mob. Either way, Lynch mob. And quite frankly, its their own friggin fault. Go figure, Chuk-fuk actually does the correct thing,but it was most likely accidental,  prolly becasue he had no other options left

BLIND SQUIRREL HOCKEY

image.jpeg.a59612560b3b6dd62d3c640e9d38e67b.jpeg

They need more than this on a bigger scale...

FXk8cQpXoAEOH9W.jpg.f6715925b3c8980e30c00d224592a9b1.jpg

...not sure anyone really cares as long as they are making some $$$$$$.

On 7/15/2022 at 11:18 AM, radoran said:

So, I'm obviously on board with this concept, but let's face it, dumping ol' Fletch just leaves the people who... hired Chuck Fletcher to "fix" things.

And they have proven manifestly incapable of doing so.

So, yes, by all means, fire Chuck Fletcher. But if we stop there, things aren't likely going to be much different.

Exactly this.  Fletch is a huge problem but the even bigger problem is the people who hired him.  The entire organization is dysfunctional.

• Like 3

On 7/14/2022 at 8:49 AM, radoran said:

Everything else is just mystifying.

It's going to be ok. What could go wrong??

tumblr_mebwqcMdWJ1rqli3p540.gif.f6ec08a8e3582667d7fd76d1548deb2d.gif

:PopcornSmiley2:

Edited by OccamsRazor
Stupid phone!!!
  • Like 1

On 7/20/2022 at 7:51 PM, mojo1917 said:

The team's I cheer for have sucked nearly all the joy I used to get from watching sports.

Well I don't expect it to be that much better when they don't even know why it is this way.

"It's been an issue since I've been here every day, the power play," Flyers general manager Chuck Fletcher said on Nov. 30 of last season. "We talk about it internally. You guys ask about it. It's been seven years, so it's something that probably goes above and beyond the coaching."

Duh ya think Chuck dear gawd they are screwed with this guy drive the plane....straight into the mountain...

:BrownBag:

• Like 1
  • Uggh... 1