who would you want as gm and president for the flyers?

tucson83

i guess this is a two part question, lets say they do fire everyone accept briere i still think he's going to be part of this organization, i have doubts he's going to be a gm since he's not ready and may not take the job yet but who would you want as gm for the flyers? and who do you want as president and hockey ops for the flyers?

you know who i would want as gm for the flyers is chris pronger and for president and hockey ops, scotty bowman.

Edited by tucson83

interesting topic, I had the idea to imagine the Flyers rebuilt when Ron Hextall was hired rather than, scuffle along as definitely a playoff team® @radoran

If I had nothing to do I think I might reimagine what could have been.

It will be difficult to not use hindsight and pick Makar instead of Patrick for instance, but it could be an interesting exercise never-the-less. One day I might post that and see what all these other smart people think. 

To answer the question.

I think I'd like Jarmo Kekäläinen as President, I think he's done a very good job hiring scouts who can find players. He's done more with less in CBJ for the entirety of his tenure there. I think it would be fun to see what he could do with Comcast money/marketing provided he's got a near clean slate salary cap to start with.

I think Chris Drury would be fantastic but why would he leave NYR? He's done a wonderful job turning that **** show around.

I like the teams that Bill Zito and Don Waddle have built so either one of those guys would be okay by me for GM.

1 hour ago, Bertmega said:

Pat Croce, the man has vision and passion.

That's interesting, I'm a fan of that guy also.

As long as the hockey guy knows which way the parade is going, the guy above him can be visionary and inspiring. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, FireDillabaugh said:

No.  Administrative director of the franchise's medical department and system, sure.  President of hockey operations, absolutely and emphatically no.

Pat was a high-profile executive for the 76ers. 

His resume' was less impressive then than it would be today when he took that job and when he left, he wasn't fired, he was still well regarded.

He was an excellent communicator and leader, plus he helped to restore the 76ers brand around town. 

To me he falls into the category of a cat that can lead any business. He's got a lot of charisma and enthusiasm for whatever he's doing. He would learn the things he'd need to know and wouldn't show up at a presser saying Gerry Mayhew is a kid on the come. 

It's probably not the best option, but there are plenty of "hockey guys" that wouldn't do as good a job as Pat in that executive roll.

Edited by pilldoc
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, FireDillabaugh said:

You realize he's been promoted to President of Hockey Operations for Colorado, with their previous assistant GM, Chris MacFarland, being promoted to their GM, right?  Of course, if this was a fantasy choice, obviously Sakic would be desired for either position.  With this being a realistic choice, he's certainly not taking a demotion to come the mess that is this current franchise.

No.  Administrative director of the franchise's medical department and system, sure.  President of hockey operations, absolutely and emphatically no.

With Sakic it was just a fantasy not a reality. Croce for me would be a different set of eyes and a new direction. I like the guy and what he brought to the 76er's. I mean realistically he cannot be any worse than the hammered **** that has plagued this franchise. 

• Like 1

On 7/21/2022 at 8:25 AM, tucson83 said:

i guess this is a two part question, lets say they do fire everyone accept briere i still think he's going to be part of this organization, i have doubts he's going to be a gm since he's not ready and may not take the job yet but who would you want as gm for the flyers? and who do you want as president and hockey ops for the flyers?

you know who i would want as gm for the flyers is chris pronger and for president and hockey ops, scotty bowman.

Mojo for president. His rose coloured glasses will put a positive spin on a dark organization. 

Flyer canuck for GM. After chuckles and his ignorant bliss we need a gm with some snarl.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, FireDillabaugh said:

Really?  Did he?  Pretty sure Allen Iverson was much more a part of restoring that brand, even though the team was a mess.  76ers winning percentage in '96-97: .268  In '97-98: .378  In '98-99(lockout): .560-Lost in Conf Semis  In '99-00: .598-Lost in Conf Semis again  In '00-01: .683-Lost in Finals  Again, all about Allen Iverson during those years.  Croce wasn't responsible for them becoming EC Champs.  Croce was responsible for bringing Larry Brown in, who was an average coach.  But, never the coach that was going to win as coach of the 76ers.

Sorry, but because he has President of the 76ers on his resume now certainly doesn't mean he's qualified to be the President of the Flyers.  He's a good guy.  A huge geek.  But, a good guy.  Again, for administrative director for medical affairs of the franchise, sure.  Not for President.  But, I don't believe he has any future employment on a Comcast owned sports franchise in this city.  He left the Sixers because he wanted to return as CEO of Comcast-Spectacor, no longer being President of the team, and Snider knew he wasn't a CEO and wasn't an option for that.  Croce was out of his element as President of the 76ers.  And, no one realized that more than he did at that time.

Believe that all you'd like.  But, in reality, it's just not truth.  Not in that executive "role".

Well since you're so certain about all this, you've got to be right.

Thanks for setting me straight 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, flyer4ever said:

Mojo for president. His rose coloured glasses will put a positive spin on a dark organization. 

Flyer canuck for GM. After chuckles and his ignorant bliss we need a gm with some snarl.

I got that Pat Croce role down pat, but with better hair!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

Pat was a high-profile executive for the 76ers. 

His resume' was less impressive then than it would be today when he took that job and when he left, he wasn't fired, he was still well regarded.

He was an excellent communicator and leader, plus he helped to restore the 76ers brand around town. 

To me he falls into the category of a cat that can lead any business. He's got a lot of charisma and enthusiasm for whatever he's doing. He would learn the things he'd need to know and wouldn't show up at a presser saying Gerry Mayhew is a kid on the come. 

It's probably not the best option, but there are plenty of "hockey guys" that wouldn't do as good a job as Pat in that executive roll.

He has an awesome restaurant in State College (Allen Street Grille).  Among a host of other properties. The guy can run a business and was fantastic with the Sixers. He left due to a political thing with Ed Snider.

Sign him up.

18 minutes ago, FireDillabaugh said:

Finally seeing the light...

Such convincing rebuttal...  What was I thinking...  I mean, of course if his company can own "Allen Street Grill", he's certainly capable of being President of hockey operations for an NHL team...  Of course, you're absolutely right... 

He was great as president and owner of the Sixers.   They went to hell the minute Snider had an ego thing and they parted ways.   It's only until the past few years that they're finally also-rans again.

In the interest of full disclosure, neither the sixers nor the NBA are remotely relevant to me, but they were briefly then, and Croce was directly part of that.  

The Allen Street Grille thing wasn't really relevant in any way. It was just to mojo as a "if you're up that way..."

On 7/22/2022 at 10:19 PM, ruxpin said:

The Allen Street Grille thing wasn't really relevant in any way. It was just to mojo as a "if you're up that way..."

I do occasionally get to State College though I've been in the Poconos like they're a second home.

Thanks!

Edited by mojo1917

32 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I do occasionally get to State College though I've been in the Poconos like their a second home.

Thanks!

Any good restaurant options?  I spend a lot of time at Hickory Run, so White Haven, Tannersville, Bartonsville, Blakeslee, etc.   There's an interesting looking sushi place up 611 north from Tannersville (not sure if it's Scotrun--which I always misread--or Swiftwater, but I haven't tried it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ruxpin said:

Any good restaurant options?  I spend a lot of time at Hickory Run, so White Haven, Tannersville, Bartonsville, Blakeslee, etc.   There's an interesting looking sushi place up 611 north from Tannersville (not sure if it's Scotrun--which I always misread--or Swiftwater, but I haven't tried it.

There are many. 

Our go to sushi place is this place 

https://sattosushi.com/products/items/ODA1/MjQ5

Mama and Baba Satto can burn, if it is coming out of their wok or fryer, it will be good. Great Sushi rolls too

In East Stroudsburg we love the Trackside .

https://www.tracksidestationgrill.com/

Great pub food and drinks...I can DM more to you if you want. 

My company does a lot of the Pocono Mountains ads so we're all over the region.

• Thanks 1

On 7/22/2022 at 9:56 PM, FireDillabaugh said:

Finally seeing the light...

Haha, a joke, HI-YO!

But, No.

I just disagree, the best high level executives I've been around...(and my business puts me in their orbits frequently) are really smart people who communicate, delegate and hold people accountable. All traits Croce has.

The idea being Croce would hire a competent hockey person who would either succeed or be fired. 

I think I view the job differently and don't think it needs to be a person from the world of hockey. 

2 minutes ago, FireDillabaugh said:

Maybe I'm wrong, but I believe this question would mean the process would completely remove Holmgren without any type of "promotion" to advisor.  And, I think because these suits at Comcast aren't going anywhere, it's absolutely necessary to have a "hockey guy" as President who tells these suits how to succeed and compete in the league and is able to implement those actions and procedures, instead of needing to take any type of hockey administration orders from them.  Allowing the suits to simply sign the checks and stay out of the hockey administration altogether.  The way it should be currently, if Holmgren wasn't a completely incompetent idiot who has destroyed this franchise.

And if my aunt had balls......, or

When pigs fly.........., 

On 7/23/2022 at 10:08 AM, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Hmm..... good question. In terms of president of hockey operations, I'm moving Briere into that role. A loveable player that would make a great figurehead for the Flyers. After the debacle of Schmuck and Dave Scott, the Flyers really need to make a goodwill gesture and Briere would fit that. 

As for GM, I went with one of the best GMs in junior hockey and someone who was screwed out of GM roles in Toronto and the New York Islanders - Mark Hunter. Great hockey mind and helped rebuild Toronto. Also did a fantastic job taking over in London of the OHL and rebuilding that program into a perennial power house. 

In terms of Assistant GM, I'm going back to the OHL again and I'm bringing in James Boyd of the Ottawa 67s. Once again, another guy with a keen eye for talent and helped turn around a franchise that lost its identity after Brian Kilrea called it a career.  

Mark Hunter is the reason the Toronto Maple Leafs drafted Mitch Marner instead of Hanifan. Hunter would be a good choice for GM or Pronger would be a good choice for GM. Briere would be a good choice for head of hockey ops.

• Like 2

Here is my choice:  Scott Nichol, Assistant GM of the Preds:

https://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/2021/10/11/predators-promote-scott-nichol-to-assistant-general-manager.html

Heard him on NHL Radio.. thoughtful, understands player development and the impact of the cap.  I suspect working under Poile for a small market team is good training.

Best,

Howie

• Good Post 1

I've given this a lot of thought. There really is only one answer that can take this franchise where it needs to go. They have the talent, and the desire.

OK, maybe not the talent.

Or the desire.

But they do have beer, so we've got that going for us.

Bob and Doug McKenzie. | My Favorite People | Pinterest

Couldn't be worse, right? Ya hosers.

:hocky:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Good Post 1