New Series: Torts Doghouse

Samifan

I guess this let's us in on the disconnect that is going on before our eyes.

“This is a big time for his career. He has a chance to show or not show. He’s going to get the opportunity throughout the rest of this year and I think he’s trying to seize it here.”

So when asked...

“I’m probably playing my best hockey right now… It’s probably the best I’ve played in my pro career. Hopefully I can keep it going.”

So Torts what i did you think??

“I thought he was brutal for most of the game. I was just trying to find some offense… I don’t think his game was anywhere near where it should be for most of the game.”

OOF!

:bonkingheadonwall:

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I guess this let's us in on the disconnect that is going on before our eyes.

“This is a big time for his career. He has a chance to show or not show. He’s going to get the opportunity throughout the rest of this year and I think he’s trying to seize it here.”

So when asked...

“I’m probably playing my best hockey right now… It’s probably the best I’ve played in my pro career. Hopefully I can keep it going.”

So Torts what i did you think??

“I thought he was brutal for most of the game. I was just trying to find some offense… I don’t think his game was anywhere near where it should be for most of the game.”

OOF!

:bonkingheadonwall:

This is referencing DeAngelo?

I'm not watching the games so don't really have context but am assuming from "hometown kid."

30 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Morgan Frost.

Whoa. So Torts said that?

And what makes Frost a "hometown" kid?   Do they just mean "draft pick?"   Weird use of "hometown."

Like I said, I'm not watching, so I can't really comment on the accuracy of the assessment itself.

1 minute ago, ruxpin said:

Do they just mean "draft pick?" 

Yes. Homegrown and developed (don't laugh at that).

2 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Like I said, I'm not watching, so I can't really comment on the accuracy of the assessment itself.

Same here so can't confirmed or deny this. Just seen it mentioned and thought why not ask someone who is maybe watching.

But shocking at the disconnect one guy thinks he is doing well and the coach saying no he needs to check back into reality.

And wonder why they sit where they do in the standings. Wish they would create a phantom injury to Carter Hart like Eagles use to do and shut him down for they year so he doesn't take on any mental scars from this constant suckage.

• Like 1

I actually liked when Torts compared Morgan Frost to a toliet seat, "sometimes it's up sometimes its down, you never know until you walk into the room". Hilarious and look, the coach isn't wrong.

This is the time; if Morgan Frost is going to be "the guy" he needs to be showing it. At every opportunity so far in his NHL career 48 has come up short. So, if he's finding his offense- that's fan-******-tastic. He needs to do something.

He stands out about as much as that the round head kid they picked up off of waivers does- Brown or something. 

Not great from a 1st round pick. Not great at all Bob.

@OccamsRazor

I think the Hometown kid refers to Morgan's hometown which is Aurora,  a bedroom community to Toronto.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

Not great from a 1st round pick. Not great at all Bob.

Well, that's what you get at 27 in a not very deep draft.

Obvious "miss" is Robertson, but again every team in the league passed on him.

After Frost in the first Jokiharju is on his second team and Tolvanen was outright waived.

If Frost amounts/amounted to anything it's a plus.

Expecting impact players from the lower half of the first round of most drafts is a fool's errand. You're kinda lucky to get a Laughton type.

It's not really that surprising when they don't live up to unrealistic expectations.

Edited by radoran
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, radoran said:

Expecting impact players from the lower half of the first round of most drafts is a fool's errand. You're kinda lucky to get a Laughton type.

It's not really that surprising when they don't live up to unrealistic expectations.

I'm going to tell you I wasn't expecting Nathan MacKinnon.

I was expecting an NHL player from the 1st pick.  Which he almost is?

I would be ecstatic if he wound up a "Laughton" type. But that's not his game. 

He's looking like a 4A player to me.

That's an 0-fer in the 17 draft first round where the Flyers had 2 picks.

The first picks gotta play in league, the Flyers have had too many misses, too many smarter than everyone elses, and make sure the Rangers don't get this guy... picks.

There are many reasons the team is not good. 

1st picks not working out is just one, but it is still an important one.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

The first picks gotta play in league, the Flyers have had too many misses, too many smarter than everyone elses, and make sure the Rangers don't get this guy... picks.

There are many reasons the team is not good. 

No I get that. I'm just asking who else you wanted at 27 in 17.

And we can say Jason Robertson, but that's just hindsight.

Again, there are more than a few guys in the lower half of that round that didn't pan out. The guys at 23 & 24 haven't event played the equivalent of a full season. The guy after Frost has one NHL game. Frost is actually more productive than the guy taken two ahead of him (Poehling) who's on his second team.

The huge miss there was Patrick and that's just such a bizarre situation it's hard to "blame" someone for it. It sucks.

But there are MANY lower half first round picks that don't pan out over time. It's why picking consistently at 15-25 as the Flyers did for several years will only get you a certain type of player and not necessarily a game breaker.

When you look at teams who are winning Cups post lockout they have multiple top ten - usually top five and 1/2 - homegrown picks they are building around. Chicago, Pittsburgh, LA, Tampa, Washington, Boston.

Do they get lucky on a Kucherov or a Pasternak? Sure.

And the Flyers got lucky on Giroux. They just overplayed that hand tremendously.

You don't win championships in this league today building around other teams' spare parts. And that's precisely what Hayes, Ellis, Atkinson, Ristolainen, Braun, and DeAngelo are.

But hockey in all of those cities above sucked for a long time before they got their shots. Whereas the Flyers have been consistently mediocre.

That's one fundamental problem.

• Like 2
  • Good Post 1

On 12/27/2022 at 12:44 PM, radoran said:

Whereas the Flyers have been consistently mediocre.

That's one fundamental problem

Unfortunately for the fans, from an owner’s POV that “mediocrity” has been putting asses in the seats for a long time. It’s only been quite recently, a few short years that the Flyers have truly nosedived in the standings and I think enough fans have actually noticed. 

We all know the rot starts at the top. Ed Snider - obviously there’s plenty to say about him both good and not so good - but at least when he was running things you knew - everyone knew he cared deeply about the team, the product on the ice. The Flyers just don’t have anyone like that anymore, someone whose passion for the team is contagious.

16 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Unfortunately for the fans, from an owner’s POV that “mediocrity” has been putting asses in the seats for a long time.

Right, and when attendance faltered even a little under Hextall he was canned.

They're running 2K a night light at the Big Bank Building.

That's one reason they're looking to move Ol' Fletch upstairs and put another fan favorite player in the seat for a few years...

If they can get back to being "definitely a playoff team" they - and much of the fanbase - will be appeased.

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, GrittyForever said:

ipads now in the doghouse :)

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/nhl-john-tortorella-bans-i-pads-from-flyers-bench-its-a-major-problem-164945461.html

Torts is TOO funny. I hope he stays coach forever. 

Amusing that the whipping boy is the guy having his best season ever...

"This is too effective, get rid of it!"

:hocky:

11 hours ago, GrittyForever said:

ipads now in the doghouse :)

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/nhl-john-tortorella-bans-i-pads-from-flyers-bench-its-a-major-problem-164945461.html

Torts is TOO funny. I hope he stays coach forever. 

I think I agree with Torts re: the momentum of the game. I think they should be used selectively by the assistant coaches to do some real time coaching, but much of the time, presumably, they are being used in ways that are not that helpful, or unhelfpul, the equivalent of admiring your pass on the ice which, we all know, just gets you pounded.

Edited by Podein25
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, GrittyForever said:

Ya, maybe it's an acknowledgement that the Flyers have a lot of dumb guys on the roster. You can't confuse a guy like Risto by giving him too much information. Better to just point and maybe wave colors. 

Have they tried this....?

77holh.jpg

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Podein25 said:

I think I agree with Torts re: the momentum of the game. I think they should be used selectively by the assistant coaches to do some real time coaching, but much of the time, presumably, they are being used in ways that are not that helpful, or unhelfpul, the equivalent of admiring your pass on the ice which, we all know, just gets you pounded.

Obviously there are real.and rational concerns that could be had here.

But the evidence on TK isn't that he's disengaged or playing Words With Friends between shifts. Everyone credits his video work with Briere on improving his on ice game.

Coach identified a problem. Took steps to fix it.

Let's hope it fixes it 😃

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/24/2022 at 6:46 PM, Samifan said:

Welcome to a new series this season, “Torts Doghouse”! 

Episode 1: Torts welcomes Kevin Hayes AND Travis Konecy to his doghouse. How long will they be there? Who will get out first? How many people can Torts fit in his doghouse at the same time? Stay tuned. 

anyone know a good attorney? I knew I should have copy writed this back last October!

#Sloganinfringment 😂

• Uggh... 1

12 hours ago, Samifan said:

anyone know a good attorney? I knew I should have copy writed this back last October!

#Sloganinfringment 😂

I do not fundamentally disagree with Torts' methods, I do however believe that public shaming with these modern day athletes does not work. They are getting paid regardless of minutes, and in the case of the hockey team formerly known as the Flyers, there is ZERO accountability at every single level of the organization, so it would be very difficult for a coach, any coach, let alone a neanderthal coach like Torts to expect the players to buy in to what he is trying to do. This is the very essence of what the cons at concast have created here, the culture that Clarke, Holmgren et al have embraced. Keith Allen, Fred Shero, Ed Snider and Clarke himself built a team that accountability to each other was at the very core of the success they had, and I think this is what most frustrates me over the past decade and then some. There appears to me to be zero leadership anywhere in the hockey ops, nobody setting the bar, and no expectation for anyone to do their job WELL, so if you are Sanheim or Farabee sitting on the bench on a hockey team going nowhere fast do you really care? I think both these players do care, they would not have worked to get where they are if they didn't, but the current situation has I'm sure sucked the passion from all their games, regardless of what Torts is selling. History tells them and tells us that the coach will be gone before any real consequences are incurred, and really all that Torts is doing is diminishing their value as a trade target for the rest of the GM's.

• Like 1