Is Fletcher close to being fired?

Fizz

19 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

Hiring Torts has probably deferred the day of reckoning until next season. That's my take. This season is probably ending better than expected. That means higher expectations for next year. When those are dashed, Chuck's tenure is kaput. 

Torts and his staff have put some lipstick on the pig. But that will only go so far. 

Think you hit the nail on the head here Howie...Torts always gets more out of his team than they are, for a season or two, maybe even three, until there's a mutiny. The hire (which wasn't Fletchers choice) actually makes Fletcher look better. Which makes total sense...since it wasn't his choice.

For those who do smoke crack and think this IS a playoff team...only Montreal and Columbus have less wins in the conference. Their GMs are trying to tank. Ours is trying to win. Genius.

Edited by flyercanuck
  • Like 4
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

Still no news of Chuck's execution but there is news. Now they have a Flyer fan in charge...

Oh joy. Plan the parade!!!!

I'll bring the lawn chairs!!!

:DancingGrape:

I can just hear him now "I've been a huge Flyer fan ever since they signed Hayesee, of course we'll be keeping Scott/Holmgren/Fletcher on cause you can see they've got this thing going in the right direction. Expect more of the same Flyer fans...wait, how come nobody is buying season tickets anymore???"

• Haha 1

when is the trade deadline? I can't wait for another one to pass by and the Flyers make a couple minor paper transactions. The best I can hope for with this GM is to not end up in a worse spot than before, but I feel like he keeps putting us there.

1 hour ago, mkscrewy said:

when is the trade deadline? I can't wait for another one to pass by and the Flyers make a couple minor paper transactions. The best I can hope for with this GM is to not end up in a worse spot than before, but I feel like he keeps putting us there.

When every transaction a GM makes blows up in his face, you don't want him making any big moves.

3 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

When every transaction a GM makes blows up in his face, you don't want him making any big moves.

His "claim to fame," as it were, is drafting Kaprizov.

He didn't actually, you know, sign Kaprizov. But he did take a fifth round flier on a guy who "wasn't interested in North America."

And then signed with Bill Guerin.

Four years later.

🤔

46 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

In case you haven't seen this, we have another executive add at Comcast:

https://thelibertyline.com/2023/02/15/dan-hilferty-flyers-ceo/

Scott is apparently out of the CEO role.  This appears to squeeze Chuck Fletcher.  That's one person's take.

Best,

Howie

First paragraph of the article...All of this is to say that there’s approximately a 99.99% chance this means absolutely nothing and that we’re simply throwing another empty suit in the dark room full of empty suits who accomplish very little in regards to Flyers hockey. Let’s establish this right now: this is probably nothing.

Typical Flyers. 

Here's more...Dan Hilferty is likely the ultimate decision maker of everything Flyers related. As long as he doesn’t plunge the company into financial ruin and bring about a nightmarish hell scape of unending despair, then Dave Scott isn’t going to step in.

I thought that was Fletchers job. 

Edited by flyercanuck

He calls himself a "tenacious Flyers' fan." I guess he means "rabid." If he would've said "depressed" or "angry" that would've been a better start.

"He led Philly's successful bid for 2026 World Cup host." Great, the Flyers sure can use a guy like that.

Maybe it gets Dave Scott out of the loop. If so it's a good thing. Everything I hear about Scott tells me he has no interest in hockey or the Flyers. Hearing him speak about the team confirms what I hear.

So the Flyers have a parent company that couldn't give a damn about them. They've got a roomful of Senior Advisors collecting paychecks for doing absolutely nothing (while refusing to do the one thing that's obviously needed) and the worst GM in the league. They've also got limited cap space (a given with these guys in charge) and a head coach whose shelf life is shorter than most.

But hey the new CEO swears he loves the Flyers...he got Philly the World Cup!

Stanley Cup ... World Cup ... close enough same same...

Edited by GratefulFlyers
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
56 minutes ago, Math said:

Of course he believes it. He also believes he knows what he's doing.

He believes Kevin Hayes is THE GUY to build a team around. He also believes he can trade him... if he takes on salary.

He believes Ristolainen is worth trading the farm for. Then when he proves he's not worth a cow patty he believes he's worth a 5 year $25 million contract.

He believes 4 gamer Ryan Ellis and his 6 year contract is an anchor for defence.

He believes 2nd round picks aren't worth anything.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Math said:

Asinine is a pretty good word for that. They're going to end up roughly in the same spot as last year with the cap still mostly used up, few good prospects and limited draft picks so no idea how he thinks they'll move on up from here. But that's Fletcher for ya. The Marjorie Taylor Green of the hockey world. Totally divorced from reality. 

There is so much to unpack.  But....I gather the Chuckinator acknowledges we have a long slog.  Of course, it is much longer than needed because of his ineptitude.  But the notion of "an aggressive rebuild" is officially dead with today's remarks.  If nothing else, a succeeding GM and Torts will be in synch about the salvage project.  

11 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

There is so much to unpack.  But....I gather the Chuckinator acknowledges we have a long slog.  Of course, it is much longer than needed because of his ineptitude.  But the notion of "an aggressive rebuild" is officially dead with today's remarks.  If nothing else, a succeeding GM and Torts will be in synch about the salvage project.  

Hello:

I just saw this piece from the Inquirer.  

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/other/we-re-selling-chuck-fletcher-cites-the-future-in-announcing-flyers-are-open-for-business/ar-AA183rsV

If nothing else, the self-delusion has ended.  Granted--CF as architect is scary....and I have concerns with Flahr too.  

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

Hello:

I just saw this piece from the Inquirer.  

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/other/we-re-selling-chuck-fletcher-cites-the-future-in-announcing-flyers-are-open-for-business/ar-AA183rsV

If nothing else, the self-delusion has ended.  Granted--CF as architect is scary....and I have concerns with Flahr too.  

God I wish they'd gut the front office before they do anything else 

The key thing for this franchise, I think we need to make sure that we’re drafting well, we’re developing well, and we’re continuing to add to our pipeline of young players,” Fletcher said. “There probably hasn’t been enough of a push from that angle over the last few years. And I think we have an opportunity here to add a few more assets. We’ve seen some kids this year, and I think we have a chance next year. And I think that’s the best way to build. That’s a tried-and-true method.”

Gee, who ever thought this was a good idea?