Game 43: Philadelphia Flyers at Washington Capitals; 1/14/23 @ 7 PM, NBCSP

Howie58

Greetings:

Washington is a mild favorite despite the Flyers winning six of their last seven.  The O and B's poor road play over the last two seasons is a factor:

https://pickdawgz.com/nhl-picks/2023-01-14/philadelphia-flyers-at-washington-capitals-1-14-23-nhl-picks-and-prediction

Goals for and against are big differences between the clubs:

https://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/phi-vs-wsh/2023/01/14/2022020681

It should be interesting. 

Caps play 5 games from today to next Saturday.  Weak play in their last three home games (loss, OT loss, squeaker over lowly Blue Jackets) means their psyches should be “must win” tonight.

But one never knows what they gonna git with this bunch.

3 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Oh jeez Frost a btw-the-legs pass from behind your own net are you kidding me? And it goes right to Ovechkin naturally…

If Frost wants an NHL career as a top 6 fwd he better knock off all the cutee crap and just play hockey. 

Agree.  That was an awful decision by Frost.  The other problem I have with him is he has a terrible time winning puck battles.

Ya I’m beginning to sour on Morgan Frost. Like you say he’s weak on the puck, which isn’t a big surprise considering his build. But I did expect his hockey IQ would be higher. He’s played about 120 NHL games. He should know by now the fancy-dancy moves that dazzled the OHL don’t work so well in the NHL.

Edited by GratefulFlyers

So I have a question for anyone who has been watching it was noted on the lineup that the 1st pair now is Ivan with York playing the right side.

Is this true and if so how have they looked I have to ask because I haven't been watching.

Thanks

Flyers are definitely a playoff team...

🥳

Another win. SMDH.

Now we know how good McDavid is.

And all the winning is going to cost them this.

Yowza. I know i know can't expect them to tank.

Chuck should just trade everyone like the Canucks are about to do to catch the Balckhawks.

45 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Flyers are definitely a playoff team...

Well, yeah, you beat me to it.  Caps and a few others are mediocre.  Flyers aren’t that far back.  Mad scramble for playoffs.

Caps reminded me in that 3rd period of several Euro-footie teams I follow.  They can dominate possession at times but don’t have enough gifted talent to finish a play with some brilliance to score.  Not enough Caps can move-and-shake enough get loose for a dangerous opportunity.   Certainly not enough to break the Flyers tonight.

• Like 1

I described the last win as "workmanlike."  This was "bend but not break."  Hart was great, but the team stopped shots, knocked away second chances, and played well on the PP and PK.  Torts is bringing out new angles to Torts and TK.  Allison may be a diamond in the rough.  All in, we are seeing a work ethic and defensive structure that's been missing for as long as I can remember.  Coots and Cam...who are they?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

All in, we are seeing a work ethic and defensive structure that's been missing for as long as I can remember.  Coots and Cam...who are they?

Who was the face of the franchise while there was apparently no work ethic and little defensive structure?

He got blown out tonight, but he's used to that.

#leadership

#legendary

Edited by radoran
  • Like 1
  • Good Post 1

4 hours ago, SaucyJack said:

Well, yeah, you beat me to it.

Saucy that is just a running joke here.

I do not think they are a playoff team.

But honestly I am not qualified to make that assumption because I haven't watched them.

Just a little tongue in cheek.

I'd prefer to just land Bedard and go from there.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Saucy that is just a running joke here.

I do not think they are a playoff team.

But honestly I am not qualified to make that assumption because I haven't watched them.

Just a little tongue in cheek.

I'd prefer to just land Bedard and go from there.

it's not like he's the only player on the planet that's available, mcdavid, matthews could be available next year, you really think an 18 year old bedard can handle this type of losing culture with everyone gone? he probably needs alot of work in adjust in the nhl as well because he is a rookie. heck if chicago lands bedard, he could be out alot sooner than jack eichel did, that team has nothing to work with. i get that you want him, we all do but it's still a lottery, if you dont land him and land jvr type of player you are going to be the coyotes and sabres of suckage for a long time.

i dont know how anyone on here can say that they would rather be happy losing every year, when everyone has complaining about losing now.

Edited by tucson83

8 hours ago, Hockey Junkie said:

You guys are doing quite well despite all the pissing and moaning here!  LOL

Pissing and Moaning is required to be a Flyers fan. There is actually a test in order to receive your certification as a Flyers fan. 

I received my certification in 1980 :VeryCool:

Edited by Samifan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

These stinkin' guys can't even lose right.

Are they even sellers at the deadline?

Sheesh

Say it with me now:

"The way the kids have played they deserve a shot at the playoffs"

If all goes well according to the organization* then they can be 9th or 10th in the East.

It's a good sign

:hocky:

Edited by radoran
  • Uggh... 1

On 1/15/2023 at 8:24 AM, OccamsRazor said:

Tell you what let's add him and i'll tell you by this time next year.

why are so fixated on one player? if everything was talent, the oilers and maple leafs would be winning cups by now, heck teams that are moving out of the first round more often are the teams that have no mcdavids and matthews. heck if we had a mcdavid and nothing else against the boston series in 2010, you are telling me we had a chance of coming back against them even if he gets shut down and no one else steps up?

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, tucson83 said:

why are so fixated on one player?

I am guessing you don't follow hockey besides the NHL.

Google is your friend. Do your research come back and maybe we'll have a conversation.

And maybe you'll even have an answer to this same question. I am on night shift headed to bed in the meantime i will let my friend @flyercanuck answer this question maybe for me if he has time.

Good night.

44 minutes ago, tucson83 said:

why are so fixated on one player? if everything was talent, the oilers and maple leafs would be winning cups by now, heck teams that are moving out of the first round more often are the teams that have no mcdavids and matthews. heck if we had a mcdavid and nothing else against the boston series in 2010, you are telling me we had a chance of coming back against them even if he gets shut down and no one else steps up?

I'd rather watch Mcdavid every night than Hayes. I can tell you that with 100% certainty.