DOES ANYONE REALLY MISS GIROUX?

CoachX

For 15 seasons we had Giroux here in Philly. Early on he was hungry and tenacious, at one point being considered top 3 in the NHL. But it seems to me like I have a really hard time remembering his impact. He hasn't been gone that long, but its feels a lot longer in my mind. I don't really miss him. For a guy to have spent that much time here, I'd think the lasting impression would be more. I was expecting a void. What I have is on par with the same feeling I had when Voracek was finally moved. More of a, "so what" mentality. Focusing solely on the "Philadelphia" sports dynamic, the guy just doesnt rank up there with other Philly sports players who were/are major players on their respective teams. He never really embraced or held that Philly persona. Guys like Harper, BrindAmour, Hurts (short sample), LeClair, Kelce, all seemed to get what it means playing for the city. I never thought Giroux did. For our forum friends who are not Philly sports fans, but Flyer fans specifically, I would guess you aren't faithful due to the many cups the Flyers have won. You probably weren't drawn to the team because of the high flying offenses they have had. More than likely it was some form of physical, hard working, in your face, type of dynamic that got you on board. In fact, when I talk to hockey fans of other teams, if they aren't mentioning the Bullies or Lindros, they talk about Richards and Carter. Rarely does the name Giroux come up. Like I mentioned, early on he looked like that kind of guy. But then it was like something changed and he became more of a "paycheck" guy. Then he left, played in the playoffs, then went back home to finish off his career. Now he is down below 50 in league scoring. I imagine he is good player for Ottawa. He would still be ranked highly with that production if he was still here. But Im not trying to reset whether or not it was his fault, or was he a point per game player, etc. Im just saying that being the cornerstone of this team for 15 years has not left this fan with a lasting memory of his legacy with the Flyers

Edited by CoachX

I liked the Giroux from the early 20 teen years quite a bit.

I think he had enough talent to occasionally trigger the memory of the young guy killing a penalty by playing keep away with his skates; or singlehandedly ragging a puck in the offensive zone for 35 seconds, or scoring an OT winner in the SCF. 

That guy would show up sometimes and he got a lot of mileage from it because there wasn't much else going on with the team.

We've been down the road of  his value and standing as a Philly athlete.

I thought he was the best player on a bunch of bad teams for a long time. 

I don't miss him being good enough to lift the team out of the cellar only to be run through in the playoffs.

• Like 1

It was a time of legends that shall enchant future generations with the tales of their deeds for time immemorial.

Honestly Giroux was considered "Top 3" in the NHL in Philadelphia for a hot second.

He was truly a lovely supporting player who could have been part of a potentially legendary crew has the organization* not "won the trades" and forced him into two positions to which he was I'll suited.

He was the late first round "hit" you often need to supplement the top picks and the fools who dedicated the future decade of the franchise to two players they lost faith in less than a year later stuck him on OJT as a first line center and captain in the NHL.

I don't miss Giroux because the dottering fools who ruined his career and the franchise are STILL HERE.

Edited by radoran
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, jammer2 said:

One decent playoff run, ruined by Leaky Leighton

That wasn't his run.

The Shift was two years later.

They committed an entire decade because of one shift after trading two guys they committed an entire decade to after exhaustively researching everything about them.

No, really.

Well, OK, because committing the future of the franchise to a 34 year old defenceman didn't work out.

No, really.

#legendary #halloffame

:hocky:

Edited by radoran

14 hours ago, radoran said:

That wasn't his run.

The Shift was two years later.

They committed an entire decade because of one shift after trading two guys they committed an entire decade to after exhaustively researching everything about them.

No, really.

Well, OK, because committing the future of the franchise to a 34 year old defenceman didn't work out.

No, really.

#legendary #halloffame

:hocky:

Who was the idiot GM that traded those two guys?

Lots of really good POV in this thread. There is a long list of ex-players who I miss watching, without any of the intangibles of contract, team make up, trade decisions, win/loss record or management. There are Players I would tune in to watch if they were on this current team, with those current intangibles. Players that if they suited up now, I would watch

Giroux is not one of those players

• Like 2

I don't really miss him, but he is playing pretty good for Ottawa and there's no question he's still better than just about everybody on this roster we currently have. 

I always thought Giroux was one of the NHL's best 2nd line centers/wingers. If he'd been on a strong team like Boston or Tampa on their 2nd line, he'd have drank from the cup several times. We had him as the #1 guy, and that's just not who he was, and so he never really met expectations. 

• Like 2