Breaking News! Fletcher fired… Briere to be interim GM

pilldoc

As requested .....Here is the mandatory poll on the firing .......  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Sweet and Simple to the point ....... Do you agree with the firing of Flyers GM Chuck Fletcher?

• No. He was not given enough top work with. It is all the fault of today's NHL environment.
    • Yes. Danny Boy is perfect for the job
    • Yes ...However nothing with change until Flahr, Lombardi, Barber, Holmgren, and Clarke are also gone. Because if not, they are just simply replacing Chuck with another "beloved alumni" to placate the fans while nothing actually changes
  2. 2. Should the Flyers keep Danny Briere as GM at the end of the season?

• Yes - He is the right man for the show
    • No -the Flyers need to purge all alumni from critical positions such as this
    • I don't know.
  3. 3. Should...the Flyers "knock the Wells Fargo center to the ground and till salt into the earth so nothing can grow there again." and start from scratch.

• No ...
    • Hell Yes! Bring back our beloved Spectrum back but updated for modern times

Well Briere is on temporarily?  Not much to do really now is there? Trade deadline over.  Will he be there after season to make any real decisions like the draft?  Im sure he will have many supporting him in what is the correct decision?  In picking players.  FA is likely more difficult.  But first, there is the lottery.  Last time I saw Danny he was on a video during Ryan Millers banner night.  It was good of him to chime in.  

11 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Well Briere is on temporarily?  Not much to do really now is there? Trade deadline over.  Will he be there after season to make any real decisions like the draft?  Im sure he will have many supporting him in what is the correct decision?  In picking players.  FA is likely more difficult.  But first, there is the lottery.  Last time I saw Danny he was on a video during Ryan Millers banner night.  It was good of him to chime in.  

Psssst....wanna buy a Risto?

34 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

If Briere can somehow manage to move Risto / Hayes / JVR he will gain the good graces of this fanbase ......

EDIT:  JVR's contract is up at the end of this year and SHOULD NOT be resigned.  I figure the Flyers have less than 17 games to go.  That means we only have 17 more games of JVR ......

Edited by pilldoc
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Let's hope it is Holmgren and whomever else is part of resisting changing it's strategy in today's new world NHL off to retirement.

I would like a Cup within the next decade... 

Maybe Homer and Joe B can take a ride on a tandem bike , we can take out two incompetent losers at once, both are Tour de France level cyclists.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Well you know one of the good things is in sports in general the guy who brings players in kind of sticks with them and has to believe in them (cause they brought them in). New GMs don't have that issue and they can dump on any guys they want to and shift blame and move out the guys who were Chuck's guys and then bring in his own guys. It's the way these things usually go. 

The big question is (assuming Briere stays on and isn't just "interim") will he get along with and work with Torts or will Torts get dumped as a scapegoat in a year or two as well? After all, he's not Danny's coach, he's (technically) Chuck's coach. 

Ideally, he works with him and asks Torts for 2 lists, 1 (probably short) of people Torts wants to stay, people who he likes who have bought in, and 2 (likely a longer list) of all the people Torts would rather see gone and then he aggressively acts on those lists.  

Whatever happens, there's a LOT of work to do, and hopefully a younger more energetic guy like Briere will burn the midnight lamp and work his ass off to prove himself and thus, maybe succeed. It isn't going to be easy though. It's a complete mess. 

6 minutes ago, GrittyForever said:

Well you know one of the good things is in sports in general the guy who brings players in kind of sticks with them and has to believe in them (cause they brought them in). New GMs don't have that issue and they can dump on any guys they want to and shift blame and move out the guys who were Chuck's guys and then bring in his own guys. It's the way these things usually go. 

The big question is (assuming Briere stays on and isn't just "interim") will he get along with and work with Torts or will Torts get dumped as a scapegoat in a year or two as well? After all, he's not Danny's coach, he's (technically) Chuck's coach. 

Ideally, he works with him and asks Torts for 2 lists, 1 (probably short) of people Torts wants to stay, people who he likes who have bought in, and 2 (likely a longer list) of all the people Torts would rather see gone and then he aggressively acts on those lists.  

Whatever happens, there's a LOT of work to do, and hopefully a younger more energetic guy like Briere will burn the midnight lamp and work his ass off to prove himself and thus, maybe succeed. It isn't going to be easy though. It's a complete mess. 

I've never been a Torts fan, so if Briere (or whoever the next GM is) dumps him, it won't bother me. 

But I also think he had a hand in getting Fletcher fired...I mean he kept pointing out how bad the team was built, and how far they were away from anything, and how long a process it was going to be....so I'll always like him for that!

43 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

I've never been a Torts fan, so if Briere (or whoever the next GM is) dumps him, it won't bother me. 

But I also think he had a hand in getting Fletcher fired...I mean he kept pointing out how bad the team was built, and how far they were away from anything, and how long a process it was going to be....so I'll always like him for that!

Torts is like napalm.

When it goes off, it burns everything around him (including itself) and doesn't care who gets incinerated in the process.
And if you survive it, battered, scarred, burnt......you will likely be tougher for the experience. :bigteeth: 

Hope your players survive napalm.
Fletch didn't. :rolleyes: 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hockey Junkie said:

He is not your problem 

No. He's A problem. And he's emblematic of how completely terrible Clarke, Holmgren and Fletcher are.

He sucks completely and always has.  He's dumber than soup.

Edited by ruxpin
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Tortorella should get another season. It’s important the Flyers maintain some continuity regarding player evaluations. Going by Tortorella’s lineup choices, who he’s benched I’d say he’s been right on the money all year. Probably any good HC would’ve made similar decisions - it’s no mystery that Farabee and Sanheim are struggling, likewise Kevin Hayes is no 2C - but right now I figure if it ain’t broke don’t fix it. 

2 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

But I also think he had a hand in getting Fletcher fired...I mean he kept pointing out how bad the team was built,

He sure did and for that he has my eternal gratitude.

• Like 1

I'd like to take a moment to thank Chuck Fletcher for his initial efforts in trying an aggressive retool; had Ellis worked out with Provy, Coots centering top line with Atkinson and TK, with Nolan Patrick centering the third line, Hayes centering the second line.........we culd of ben a cuntendah!

My friend(in Muammar Gaddafi voice) you sold the farm and we need to send you to the ranch...

5 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

You know, if you fix the wonky transmission, put some new tires on it, give it a lick of paint, and fill the trunk up with halibut, the Risto would have some value.

Hmm...I dunno.
You can probably revamp the rest, but the wonky transmission is an inherent design flaw.....

• Like 1

Just now, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Hmm...I dunno.
You can probably revamp the rest, but the wonky transmission is an inherent design flaw.....

Alas, I fear you may be right. Nothing to be done but send it to the scrap heap I guess.

10 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Well, you know another way of saying that is just - Torts is brutally honest. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

But I also think he had a hand in getting Fletcher fired...I mean he kept pointing out how bad the team was built, and how far they were away from anything, and how long a process it was going to be.

BINGO!!!

Exactly why I wanted him because if felt he would expedite the process because Torts is a call it like he sees it guy.

And he was an outside voice not a good ol boy to tell them what they wanted to hear.

He is the tell you what you need to hear type.

Job well done I am ok if they keep him around but I am also ok if the new GM wants his guy to help him implement his plan too.

Whatever it takes to get back to good respectable winning hockey!

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

3 hours ago, GrittyForever said:

Well, you know another way of saying that is just - Torts is brutally honest. 

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Exactly why I wanted him because if felt he would expedite the process because Torts is a call it like he sees it guy.

And he was an outside voice not a good ol boy to tell them what they wanted to hear.

He is the tell you what you need to hear type.

I agree 100%...up until I read this...I mean Tortorella wasn't even Fletchers choice.

Very intelligent hockey guy? LMFAO!

Understands the business? Double LMFAO!!!!

Nothing but respect and wish I worked with him longer? Tortsie, all you did was throw him under the bus. Deservedly so, but come on! 

If Tortorella was being honest he would have said This guy was a GM solely because of nepotism, not competence.

https://twitter.com/ReinerOlivia/status/1634629286639353856/photo/1

Edited by flyercanuck
  • Haha 1
  • Uggh... 1