Game 78: Philadelphia Flyers at Dallas Stars; 4/6/23 @ 8:30 PM, NBCSP

Howie58

Greetings:

Dallas is the heavy favorite (-244) and has taken the last five meetings; we've lost eight straight on the road:

https://www.oddsshark.com/nhl/philadelphia-dallas-odds-april-6-2023-1707461

The biggest differences statistically are faceoffs and offense:

https://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/phi-vs-dal/2023/04/06/2022021252

And the band plays on....

Soon this season will end for this team, and us.

I'm ready to turn the page on this roster. 

I hope to see a lot of people not in Flyers uniforms next year.

Just marking the time until there is something to get hopeful about.

Having said all that, this season hasn't been all terrible. I do like the compete level of the team, I like seeing that some of these young players are decent.

I hope the "culture thing" that is being modeled takes root.

• Like 1

That was quite a boring game overall. From an outer perspective, the Flyers didn't really tried anything and were not concerned at all. I didn't even noticed when Hayes scored: the players were just directing to the bench and that's it. Not even a minimal cheering and congratulations. The only fight (or some sort of) was between Glendening and... van Riemsdyk after a debatable check. Neither Deslauriers nor Lemieux were willing to go as well.

On a side note, I really wish Bedard to land in Philly even though the odds are low. It would draw more interest and bolster the franchise. Orange will suit him better than the Blackhawks logo.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Math said:

The only fight (or some sort of) was between Glendening and... van Riemsdyk after a debatable check.

That was an insult to the term fight right there bunch of pansies...

25 minutes ago, Math said:

I didn't even noticed when Hayes scored: the players were just directing to the bench and that's it. Not even a minimal cheering and congratulations.

Did you see where the assistant coach behind the bench said there were some players not giving their all and essentially not caring and that he wasn't going to name names but their teammates know who they are?

There you go.

:hocky:

• Good Post 1

I wonder if Provorov’s on that list. From what I saw he captained the “weak effort” squad last night. 

edit: the Flyers need to figure out Provorov before next season. He’s certainly a tradeable asset but he may also be part of the foundation the team can rebuild upon. I know some will scoff at that. He “is what he is” etc. To that I still say “maybe.” His rookie year showed what was possible. Since then his team has been hampered by (ridiculously) terrible management that slapped together one crappy roster after another.

Somebody needs to sit him down and - for lack of better words- figure him out. 

Edited by GratefulFlyers

1 hour ago, Math said:

I didn't even noticed when Hayes scored: the players were just directing to the bench and that's it. Not even a minimal cheering and congratulations.

The guy makes $7 million a year and doesn't care about the team....why should they care about him when he does something in that 20% of the ice surface he might actually break a sweat in. 

• Good Post 1

43 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

but he may also be part of the foundation the team can rebuild upon.

I think the question is whether he wants to do that here.

I have a sneaky suspicion that he's not high on Torts' list, but could be wrong.

23 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

The guy makes $7 million a year and doesn't care about the team....why should they care about him when he does something in that 20% of the ice surface he might actually break a sweat in. 

Get excited for the Bruins game

Sunday | vs. BOS

• Haha 2
  • Uggh... 1

9 hours ago, radoran said:

I have a sneaky suspicion that he's not high on Torts' list, but could be wrong.

I wouldn’t be surprised if you’re right. Provorov’s far from the “turnover machine” he was getting to be but he’s still not a lot better than he was his rookie year. Maybe I’m exaggerating….but when Provorov’s bad he’s really bad. Head-scratching WTF bad. Like last night. After that performance he should be in Tortorella’s doghouse.

1 hour ago, GratefulFlyers said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if you’re right. Provorov’s far from the “turnover machine” he was getting to be but he’s still not a lot better than he was his rookie year. Maybe I’m exaggerating….but when Provorov’s bad he’s really bad. Head-scratching WTF bad. Like last night. After that performance he should be in Tortorella’s doghouse.

I just don't think he's Torts' sort of player. And after six years of being told Claude Giroux was a superstar to build around they're now saying this is a rebuilding situation.

Would not at all surprise me if he wants out.

47 minutes ago, radoran said:

For the right offer he can go then.

In fact make me an offer for anyone on the roster.

He and Sanheim would be good pieces to move for the right return.

You still have York, Andrea, Zamula, Attard, Risto and Ginning to form a very green tank for the top pick blueline for next season if you want.

If we going to rebuild then let's rebuild...

27 minutes ago, MaineFlyFan said:

That has GOT to be fake!!! WOW! I'm literally laughing out loud!.....

And yet THIS is the guy Fletcher HAD TO HAVE...overpay, sign long term, and build his team around. And that's a big reason why we're picking top 7 again this year.

I know you can't always judge a player just by his looks...but in this case he looks exactly how he plays.

Edited by flyercanuck

10 hours ago, radoran said:

That's why I say it's important the Flyers figure him out. It's easy to trade players, a lot harder to figure what's preventing them from developing. Provorov's got talent but in 7 seasons he's basically the same player he was his rookie year. Personally I'm happy to cut him (and the rest of them) all the slack in the world Because Flyers. Even so that still leads us back to the man himself and his relationship with the coaches.

He just turned 26 in January. His contract - 2 more seasons at $6.75 cap hit - is reasonable. He's obviously got value on the market the question is does he have more value to the Flyers. I can't even guess which way it'll go.

• Like 1