Trade: Ivan Provorov to CBJ (3 team trade with LA Kings) Edit: now with Poll

Ivan Provorov to CBJ (3 team trade with LA Kings)  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Do you approve of Briere 1st trade

• Yes - It was a Home Run
    • No - it will backfire in the Flyers face
    • Too Early to Judge
  2. 2. How do you feel about the return for Provorov?

• More than what I was expecting
    • About what I was expecting
    • Slightly less than what I was expecting
    • Way less than what I was expecting

5 hours ago, Villella McMeans said:

Got nothing...? I dunno man looks like a whole lotta lottery tickets in return to me and I'm a big believer in buying lottery tickets haha...🍻

When I posted the trade and the article,  it only had the Flyers getting Petersen and Sean Walker.  It didn't mention any picks.  I should have figured that wasn't the full trade.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TimKerrFan12 said:

When I posted the trade and the article,  it only had the Flyers getting Petersen and Sean Walker.  It didn't mention any picks.  I should have figured that wasn't the full trade.

I'm going to slide you some grace on this.

Chuck Fletcher orchestrated some terrible goddamned trades while he was here especially in the last 2 years of his tenure.

It's not like the news hadn't been full of trades where as a Flyers fan, you would be scratching your head asking yourself, "how's this making anything better?"

People are so used to dysfunction from the front office of the team, that seeing competence can't be believed on the first take.

Also, to your point the reporting on the trade was terrible to start. I saw what  you saw and thought there has to be more to this because, if that's the return why not just keep the best player in the deal?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

The have Devon Levi so that wouldn't make much sense either.

Most of the chatter has been Oilers but they have Jack Campbell for 4 years 5mill per and Skinner for 3 yrs/2.6mill.

So guess we have to wait and see what Danny has up his sleeve.

They're talking Helleybuck as well. It does make sense because Levi is a rookie. They need a better goalie to take about half the load as Levi develops. Putting it all on Levi this early is a bad idea and I think they know it. They are ready for a run at the playoffs (after all this time). When Hart's contract is up they have the choice to sign him or move him depending on Levi's progress. imo it does make sense. 

In any event despite what Briere says, I think Hart's on the block. 

10 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

A team can only retain salary on so many players. 2? I think. 

Need to keep that "asset" for Hayes and another albatross. 

The confusing part though is why we took Peterson. Only makes sense if we are moving Hart. 

14 minutes ago, GrittyForever said:

The confusing part though is why we took Peterson. Only makes sense if we are moving Hart. 

To get LA to give up a 2nd and retain salary on Provorov.

They can afford to eat his salary in the AHL if needed.

LA needed cap space and the move opens up ~$3M or so IIRC.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, GrittyForever said:

It does make sense because Levi is a rookie. They need a better goalie to take about half the load as Levi develops.

But they have 3 guys already on contracts and well what would you want back from them??

20 minutes ago, GrittyForever said:

One thing the Flyers could do is retain salary on Peterson so his salary is more in line with a backup and trade him for a 3rd or 4th.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, radoran said:

To get LA to give up a 2nd and retain salary on Provorov.

They can afford to eat his salary in the AHL if needed.

LA needed cap space and the move opens up ~$3M or so IIRC.

Which they used for Gavrikov I guess. 

So you figure he might just get waived? Ya, I guess that's possible. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, GrittyForever said:

Or eating some of Peterson's salary and trading him again...they have cap space to burn and they are using it as a trade tool....something Chuckles would have never dreamed of.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

But they have 3 guys already on contracts and well what would you want back from them??

For starters that 2nd rounder Fletcher gave up for Risto plus another pick. Maybe we take Olafsson? Sabres don't seem to want him. One dimensional goal scorer but we really lack goal scorers. idk, just picks and prospects I guess. 

2 minutes ago, GrittyForever said:

For starters that 2nd rounder Fletcher gave up for Risto plus another pick. Maybe we take Olafsson?

Need more than a 2nd and to take Olafsson who will be 28 wouldn't make sense to me because he would be blocking on the kid's who needs to come up.

They already need to trade one or two wingers as it is.

TK and or Tippett/Atkinson needs to go too....or in my rebuild model they do.

2 hours ago, GrittyForever said:

Trading Hart can’t possibly be a reason to acquire Petersen. Lord I hope that had nothing to do with it. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Trading Hart can’t possibly be a reason to acquire Petersen. Lord I hope that had nothing to do with it. 

Agreed.

Peterson was solely playing the role of Arizona. We swallowed some cap to make the deal happen. Period.  If we move Hart, Essen/Sandstrom are the backfills.  Peterson will be buried unless he completely (and surprisingly) turns his career around.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Agreed.

Peterson was solely playing the role of Arizona. We swallowed some cap to make the deal happen. Period.  If we move Hart, Essen/Sandstrom are the backfills.  Peterson will be buried unless he completely (and surprisingly) turns his career around.

There is a small chance you could pick up some of his salary and pick up some picks in return for him.

Different needs and plans for all the teams around the league.

If you picked up even half 2.5 mill would be better than 3.1 mill in dead cap space.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

There is a small chance you could pick up some of his salary and pick up some picks in return for him.

Different needs and plans for all the teams around the league.

If you picked up even half 2.5 mill would be better than 3.1 mill in dead cap space.

Make it so. I'm game.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Need more than a 2nd and to take Olafsson who will be 28 wouldn't make sense to me because he would be blocking on the kid's who needs to come up.

They already need to trade one or two wingers as it is.

TK and or Tippett/Atkinson needs to go too....or in my rebuild model they do.

Reason I mention Olafsson is because he fell off Buffalo's starting roster last part of the year and I think they don't have him in their future plans. They'd be happy to move him. He'd only have 1 year left on his deal so he gives us a PP sniper for this year and then assuming we are bad, we flip him again at the deadline. He'd be a temp. 

You can argue that a high 2nd and a one year player aren't enough for Hart, but goalie price tags are often low and if Ullmark and Helleybuck  are also both on the market as rumored, the prices won't be very high all around. 

As far as Atkinson goes (and maybe Coots) I think they might have to play and show they still can play before anybody will offer anything reasonable for them. If we can move them now though I would. And of course Hayes and probably Konecny too. This is a tear down reset rebuild. No point in half measures. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

idk, it does provide an option. If this is a full rebuild (or a tank without calling it a tank) trading away Hart and playing Peterson might give you a great shot at Macklin Celebrini. They'll never say it out loud, but could that be the plan?

On 6/6/2023 at 7:55 PM, TimKerrFan12 said:

I had a notification on my phone saying Hart was traded...I was like what?   It was posted I believe around the same time as the Provorov trade saying we traded Hart to Edmonton.    So either someone got a big scoop or they are out to lunch.

https://www.hockeypatrol.com/BREAKING-Flyers-Trade-Franchise-Cornerstone-Carter-Hart-243854

If they're going to trade Hart, it better not be to an Eastern Conference team that he could come back and haunt the Flyers for the next 10 years. I'd be ok if he was traded to Edmonton.

As for the Provorov trade, Briere did a really good job getting picks. It's a good start and hopefully he keeps going.

Edited by Lindbergh31
  • Like 1