Official: Hayes traded to Blues for 2024 6th RD

jammer2

A 6R pick, while better than nothing for the Flyers is a bargain for the Blues. Considering the Flyers are on the hook for the maximum 50% of his salary the Blues clearly “won” this trade. Good for them.

The Flyers are a better team without Hayes and the Blues are no better with him because he won’t fit Chief’s idea of a responsible forward any more than he fit Tortorella’s. 

Still, a 6R is awfully low for a big body veteran forward who (to be fair) does have offensive skills. At $3.57mil it’s a good deal for the Blues. 

1 hour ago, CoachX said:

I don't understand this premise that DB "could have gotten more", for Hayes. Where exactly does that come from?

It's made up - folks can't tell a rookie GM he made two good moves to start with they have to criticize something...

6 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

A 6R pick, while better than nothing for the Flyers is a bargain for the Blues.

Many forget the Flyers only gave up a 5th to trade for Hayes i say 6th is about right for his sorry ass.

It’s the 6Rer that’s what it is. Let’s face it for every Zetterberg and Datsyuk there a hundreds, thousands of late-rounders who never get anywhere near the NHL. 

I’m not complaining it’s a nitpick. I would’ve thought since the Flyers are paying half his salary Hayes coulda shoulda fetched a 3rd, something more reasonable than a pie-in-the-sky 6th.

Edited by GratefulFlyers
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

It’s the 6Rer that’s what it is. Let’s face it for every Zetterberg and Datsyuk there a hundreds, thousands of late-rounders who never get anywhere near the NHL. 

I’m not complaining it’s a nitpick. I would’ve thought since the Flyers are paying half his salary Hayes coulda shoulda fetched a 3rd, something more reasonable than a pie-in-the-sky 6th.

It is slightly better than what the Preds got.

If you thought you were getting much more you have lost touch with reality.

Welcome back to planet earth.

I'll be your host....

2 hours ago, Howie58 said:

the next few years tough to watch. 

Well, the past decade has been pretty terrible - whilst continually "definitely a playoff team."

I'll take at least the semblance of a plan to build a foundation before adding the crown molding.

Like @CoachX said, this is at least more interesting than the monkey/football relationship we've been watching.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CoachX said:

I don't understand this premise that DB "could have gotten more", for Hayes. Where exactly does that come from? Is there any real factual basis behind this POV, or is it just Flyer fan being Flyer fan? I find myself shaking my head at the forum GM's who always know better than the real GM

speaking only for myself,  i thought Hayes had a pretty good year last year.  I thought maybe that along with salary retention would bring back a b prospect and late round pick. 

I'm not disappointed though. 

The Johansson trade set the market and even though the players statistically weren't radically different last season, Johansson is viewed as a better player.

I think cleaning up after FLetcher won't be easy. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

speaking only for myself,  i thought Hayes had a pretty good year last year. 

Hayes was fine. He was unremarkable. He was early on in a position he is unlikely to fill on a successful roster - 1C - but one in which you are afforded ample opportunity to put up points.

It's just the Kevin Hayesness about him. He is what he is. He's not a 2C for a successful roster. He was overpaid, over termed, and blocking development of players who might have an impact on 2 years.

That they got SOMETHING back and didn't PAY anything (more than Comcastbucks) is something of an achievement.

Everyone is free to throw my cavalier disregard for $3.5M in cap space for the next three years in my face when it becomes an actual problem.

Until then

image.gif

IMPORTANTLY this is also "what's right for the player" and can be part of the new era they are trying to establish.

Edited by radoran
  • Good Post 3

3 hours ago, Howie58 said:

I suspect we will forget Hayes existed. The same fior TDA.

The images that will now come to mind are  those of Morin, Rubstov, and Patrick....if our picks don't pan out.

And O'Brien, a perfect example of when your team sucks and you need to accumulate assets, you don't gamble with a first round pick.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

And O'Brien, a perfect example of when your team sucks and you need to accumulate assets, you don't gamble with a first round pick.

Who did they "miss" on with O'Brien?

Who's the big impact player they "should" have instead from that draft?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, radoran said:

We'll never know they never traded the pick they chose someone named O'Brien.

Oh well...😃

34 minutes ago, radoran said:

K'Andre Miller comes to mind immediately. 

That kid included in the Dubois raping of Los Angeles-  Rasmus Kupari is another. 

58 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

O' Brien may pan out.  TBD.  I have a bittersweet memory of Sam Morin scoring his one and only goal to win a game against the Rangers.  I hoped we had a third-pairing D-man out of a first-rounder.   Then the news about his knee and injury status.  

I saw a piece on Patrick.  The dude has no luck. If memory serves, he won't have his name on the Cup...he was basically on LTIR for too much of the season.  

Let's hope Briere, Flahr, and Company lasso some talented and non-injury prone prospects. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

That kid included in the Dubois raping of Los Angeles-  Rasmus Kupari is another.

I disagree here .... a kid who had plenty potential here but has yet to make an impact in the NHL.

In a 134 games, spread over 3 seasons with the Kings, he has 9G, 20A for 29 total PTS.  Granted that is 29 more PTS than O'Brien but you get my drift.

In 85 games with Ontario (AHL) which spans 4 years he has 24G with 24A for 48 PTS.

Not exactly what you want from a player who is trying to make a name for himself.

In all honestly there has been no single player drafted after O'Brien who has made an impact in the NHL.  It Is what it is .......

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

In all honestly there has been no single player drafted after O'Brien who has made an impact in the NHL.  It Is what it is .......

K'Andre Miller. 

Top 4 defenseman on a top 5 team.

I thow up in my mouth complementing the Rangers.

• Like 1

Just now, mojo1917 said:

K'Andre Miller. 

I stand corrected ..... outside of K'Andre Miller there has been no one else ...my bad. :) 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

K'Andre Miller. 

Just to play devils advocate here, the Flyers had used their 1st rounder in 2013, 2014 and 2015 on defencemen...now who here (not named Bob Clarke 🤣) wanted them to take a defenceman in the 1st round in 2016/17/18? Cause I never heard anyone suggest it. As a matter of fact, with Ghost looking good we were all talking about how we didn't need defence anymore.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Just to play devils advocate here, the Flyers had used their 1st rounder in 2013, 2014 and 2015 on defencemen...now who here (not named Bob Clarke 🤣) wanted them to take a defenceman in the 1st round in 2016/17/18? Cause I never heard anyone suggest it. As a matter of fact, with Ghost looking good we were all talking about how we didn't need defence anymore.

I don't remember exactly saying it but i did like K' Andres game and he was a right hand shot which forever eludes the Flyers it seems...plus i knew they are big on the National teams guys like Farabee was mentioned back then and then York a few years later.

No use in looking back just remember it and try to make the best of it...i never tell anyone i don't make mistakes i just try to learn from them and not make them again.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

K'Andre Miller comes to mind immediately. 

Yeah, after THIS YEAR.

Prior to that he's really not very much and two other teams passed on him after the Flyers.

Point being there's no real impact player anywhere around that pick even before it and that means the pick isn't as valuable in a trade scenario either. (Ahem)

It's nothing more than 20/20 hindsight to want to have picked a Debrincat or a Aho  or anyone else 20+ other teams passed on.

It's sour grapes.

O'Brien also had an injury issue that wasn't there when he was drafted. Much like Patrick's migraine issue wasn't a source or any of his missed time in Junior.

Rubustov is similar - a bad draft. (Full disclosure, my spell check just autochanged Rubstov to Rubustov)

But moreover it's looking for impact players in the bottom third of the first. That's not a productive endeavor. There are a bunch of Scott Laughtons but not so many Claude Girouxs. And even then you still need a bona fide star for them to ride with.

"Missing" on Jay O'Brien has absolutely nothing to do with the Flyers being where they are today.

2 hours ago, pilldoc said:

I disagree here .... a kid who had plenty potential here but has yet to make an impact in the NHL.

In a 134 games, spread over 3 seasons with the Kings, he has 9G, 20A for 29 total PTS.  Granted that is 29 more PTS than O'Brien but you get my drift.

In 85 games with Ontario (AHL) which spans 4 years he has 24G with 24A for 48 PTS.

Not exactly what you want from a player who is trying to make a name for himself.

What about K’Andre Miller

If the Flyers can move Sanheim during the draft tonight, they better get a good haul. That I hope and pray includes a first round pick for this draft.

Edited by FD19372
  • Like 1