2023 NHL Draft: Flyers pick 1st RD (#7 overall) is Matvei Michkov

pilldoc

Do you like the pick?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the pick?

• Yes
    • No

41 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

You want him to come to a brand new Country, brand new culture, brand new language and take the one thing hes great at...playing his position with amazing skill...and make him play a position he's never played? 

With ALL that overwhelming new stuff being thrown at him in waves, it seems smart to leave the Hockey part alone. 

That's the least of his problems. 

As much as I love the long-term approach in drafting Michkov it's hard to get excited about it with everything going on with Russia and Putin. There's a chance he plays for the Flyers some day. A good chance or a small chance, hopefully some reporter finds out and lets us know. 

At least it sounds like he really does want to play in the NHL and for the Flyers. The big goalie Hextall drafted never sounded nearly as committed to getting to North America.

18 hours ago, pilldoc said:

Agree .... we are done with the quick fixes

Maybe somehow the Flyers can bribe the Russians and we can rescue Michkov and Fedetov and we can have another Russian to help out Michkov. If the mission fails , they could both end up in the Gulag. Call in The Machine!

3 hours ago, pilldoc said:

OMG ...to funny.   @Digityman good to see you around again.  Hope all is well.

Speaking of sheep...where the hell has @Podein25 been?  Haven't seen him around in a bit. @Podein25 get your butt back here ... we miss your witty humor. :) 

Thanks man, I'm alive, if barely. Good to see y'all!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

As much as I love the long-term approach in drafting Michkov it's hard to get excited about it with everything going on with Russia and Putin. There's a chance he plays for the Flyers some day. A good chance or a small chance, hopefully some reporter finds out and lets us know. 

At least it sounds like he really does want to play in the NHL and for the Flyers. The big goalie Hextall drafted never sounded nearly as committed to getting to North America.

He was on his way until Putin banished him to Siberia.

14 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

He was on his way until Putin banished him to Siberia.

And even then, he still might be coming over. There's all this talk that he's going to re-sign with the Russian club he was with, yet the Flyers tolled his contract. They aren't doing that if they don't think he's coming over.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

Well , if he is capable, why not?

You moved Gauthier to a new position. Or move one of our right wings to the left side. Whoever has the skill to move is fine . We are very weak on LW . If he's the most naturally talented it shouldn't be a problem for him.

McDavid is a capable goalie. Is that where you'd play him?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

McDavid is a capable goalie. Is that where you'd play him?

I mean if he is able to play left wing, at the same level. A guy with that skill set should be able to do it, left wing and right wing are a similar, it’s not like asking him to play center or defense. Unfortunately the Flyers have no say with the Russian team, if he was with the Flyers we could have him try the left side in camp and at practice. Just trying to balance out the scoring , maybe Foerester can play left wing cause he’s lethal on the PP from the left side with the one timer. 

3 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

I mean if he is able to play left wing, at the same level. A guy with that skill set should be able to do it, left wing and right wing are a similar, it’s not like asking him to play center or defense. Unfortunately the Flyers have no say with the Russian team, if he was with the Flyers we could have him try the left side in camp and at practice. Just trying to balance out the scoring , maybe Foerester can play left wing cause he’s lethal on the PP from the left side with the one timer. 

I just don't think you move your Bugatti over for your Honda. Michkov, pre-war, was head and head with Bedard. All that got thrown out the window with how the world went. I don't think he's quite Bedard level, but he may well be on the 2nd level on his own. The kid can shoot/pass/deke like no one we've had in forever.

• Like 3
  • Good Post 1

18 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

maybe Foerester can play left wing cause he’s lethal on the PP from the left side with the one timer. 

Maybe Foerester can play PP2

17 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

Delaware is the sphincter of PA 

I'd bet Delaware doesn't like you either. 

sheesh. 

Edited by mojo1917
  • Like 2

RE: Michkov coming to America.

Anthony Sanfilippo seems pretty sure Matevi is going to play for the Flyers.

This is based on his knowledge of the clandestine meeting in Voorhees last Friday.

It's not if, it's when. 

Unless the kid dies, he's going to play in the NHL for the Flyers and his goal is to win the Stanley Cup for his dad.

I haven't been this excited about a Flyers draft pick in my lifetime.

Lindros doesn't count because he was traded for and the team was gutted.

No one thought Giroux was anything until he was, Carter and Richards are the closest and even then they were tiers of skill below the top of their draft class, Not the chalk.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

I just don't think you move your Bugatti over for your Honda. Michkov, pre-war, was head and head with Bedard. All that got thrown out the window with how the world went. I don't think he's quite Bedard level, but he may well be on the 2nd level on his own. The kid can shoot/pass/deke like no one we've had in forever.

We have a nice mix on offense with some young guys who actually show finishing skills, which is also something we also haven’t had in years . Foerester, Brink and Tippett all show some real good shooting ability, I just hope someone can play the left side to balance out the offense, I’d hate to have to trade some of these guys when it took forever to finally get some shooters. I’m shell shocked from watching G and Jake skate around and never shoot the puck  for 10 years straight and from watching our cement handed forwards miss the net or shoot straight into the goalies chest when they had an open net. 

• Like 1