2023 NHL Draft: Flyers pick 1st RD (#22 overall from LA Kings) is Oliver Bonk (D)

pilldoc

Do you like the pick?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the pick?

• Yes
    • No

On 6/29/2023 at 6:09 PM, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I had a chance to talk with a few of my friends who are scouts and they all said the same thing about Oliver Bonk. He's really, really good and he's just starting to understand how to utilize his talent. He's got the defensive side of the game down and they said that's the hardest part of the game. They mentioned that if you watch him play, he's very efficient. He's never out of position, he never misses assignments, he always makes the right play, he doesn't panic under pressure, and he's just starting to scratch the surface with regards to his offensive game.

They also said that the best pro comparison for him would be a bigger Jared Spurgeon. Unassuming, but incredibly effective. 

They also mentioned that there were more dynamic defensemen in the draft. They also said that those dynamic defensemen had big red flags to their game. They said if you look at Bonk, there's nothing in terms of red flags and that if you're building a blueline, those kinds of players are on your team for 15 years.

That is some seriously high praise. That’s a rave is what it is. Assuming the praise is deserved I’m a little  surprised he didn’t get scooped up sooner.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

That is some seriously high praise. That’s a rave is what it is. Assuming the praise is deserved I’m a little  surprised he didn’t get scooped up sooner.

Every team values players different. The scouts who I'm friends with all work for the central scouting bureau and there really isn't a consensus per se with regards to how team scouts view players and how CSB views players. 

With that being said, scouting definitely isn't an exact science. For instance, Elite Prospects and they're scouting services had Bonk ranked as the 68th best player in North America. You know who was rated ahead of him? Flyers 5th round pick Carter Sotheran.

I think if anyone hasn't, watch the videos of Bonk that are out there. It's easy to see why he went 22nd. He's going to be really good. The question is whether he survives Flyers development because we all know that's a black hole.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/2/2023 at 1:57 PM, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

The question is whether he survives Flyers development because we all know that's a black hole.

Thankfully there’s been an overhaul, or at least the start of one, as of last month when they fired Kjell Samuelson, Director of Player Development for the past 10 years.

It’s been painfully obvious for a long time that the Flyers’ player development flat-out sucked. Replacing Samuelson was critical to the rebuild, just as important as getting rid of Fletcher. Hopefully now with a new director, new development team = no more “black hole.”

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Thankfully there’s been an overhaul, or at least the start of one, as of last month when they fired Kjell Samuelson, Director of Player Development for the past 10 years.

It’s been painfully obvious for a long time that the Flyers’ player development flat-out sucked. Replacing Samuelson was critical to the rebuild, just as important as getting rid of Fletcher. Hopefully now with a new director, new development team = no more “black hole.”

I always wondered how a  former player with no skills is in charge of helping young players develop their skills.

• Good Post 1

27 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

I always wondered how a  former player with no skills is in charge of helping young players develop their skills.

If a guy just barely hung on in the NHL, most likely that means they tried everything imaginable to stick.

Those are the guys that know the techniques, those are the guys that know where they need to be when they're f-2 or whatever.

Those guys know the nuts and bolts of the game.

The talented guy can just do it. or can erase a mistake with speed or their shot. Tweener guys need to know every trick and can probably explain it.

17 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

If a guy just barely hung on in the NHL, most likely that means they tried everything imaginable to stick.

Those are the guys that know the techniques, those are the guys that know where they need to be when they're f-2 or whatever.

Those guys know the nuts and bolts of the game.

The talented guy can just do it. or can erase a mistake with speed or their shot. Tweener guys need to know every trick and can probably explain it.

I just cant see Kjell Samuelsson coaching anyone on rushing the puck or anything to do with offense.  Defensive positioning and stick work yes. A hard working guy like a Mike Richards type would be good, not loaded with natural skill but a guy who was gritty and determined. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

I just cant see Kjell Samuelsson coaching anyone on rushing the puck or anything to do with offense.  Defensive positioning and stick work yes. A hard working guy like a Mike Richards type would be good, not loaded with natural skill but a guy who was gritty and determined. 

I'll confess I have absolutely no idea how much the DPP has on actually working one on one in developing players.

Or is it more overseeing the guys and structure that do that?

I mean, either way, Samuelson sucked. But if it's more the latter then there's likely more chaff to separate.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

Defensive positioning and stick work yes. 

I don't know. Im liked him but how much of positioning and stick work was because he was a head taller than most when he played?

I suppose, but I'm not sure with someone like Cam York.  Maybe.

20 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

On Bonk...

:PopcornSmiley2:

There is a decent chance Bonk turns out to be better than Provy...making the trade as a whole a big scam when considering the other assets acquired. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Cheesesteak said:

Ok, so the Flyers have a kid named Bump in the pipeline, and now Bonk ...they need to comb the coffers for a Beep and Burp   🤪

https://www.mcall.com/2023/07/09/flyers-alex-bump-impression/

If you go to the Phantoms thread there are a few links of his play. A hatty in the prospect game IIRC.

In 3 years.

York/Attard

Andrea/Grans

Mcdonald/Bonk

Samson

Edited by OccamsRazor
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

If you go to the Phantoms thread there are a few links of his play. A hatty in the prospect game IIRC.

In 3 years.

York/Attard

Andrea/Grans

Mcdonald/Bonk

Samson

That's not taking into account the unknown player from the '24 draft which is said to be strong with defensive prospects.

The lead dog may not be in the system yet.

If those players you mention reach close to their ceilings, that would be a pretty versatile group, a top group? Maybe, but solid for certain. I would put Bonk ahead of Grans on my depth chart. but the sandwiches we're making are similar.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

That's not taking into account the unknown player from the '24 draft which is said to be strong with defensive prospects.

The lead dog may not be in the system yet.

I know i can't know the unknown. I'm just projecting from here. An educated guess is all.

I'm guessing Mcdonald was just they stay at home solid in his own end type Bonk may need to start with.

Bonk may eventually get to the top pair however i also would be shocked if Emil and Grans also turn into the top pair as well.

It will sort it's self out none of this is written in stone and i'm not making any claims as of now. Just Emil and Grans is ahead of Bonk in their development.

If anyone wants to watch the prospect game which i started last night on the couch enjoy.

• pilldoc unpinned this topic
  • 6 months later...

https://thehockeynews.com/ohl/players/oliver-bonks-point-streak-how-his-offensive-potential-has-improved

With Bonk ripping it up offensively this season, has his scouting report changed from primarily being a top four shutdown guy to maybe a top pairing two way D-man with some offensive upside aswell? Probably way too early, but his numbers are really surprising this season.

Edited by ctid

2 hours ago, ctid said:

https://thehockeynews.com/ohl/players/oliver-bonks-point-streak-how-his-offensive-potential-has-improved

With Bonk ripping it up offensively this season, has his scouting report changed from primarily being a top four shutdown guy to maybe a top pairing two way D-man with some offensive upside aswell? Probably way too early, but his numbers are really surprising this season.

A lot of Bonks points come from him being parked in front of the net on the PP. That likely won't be the case in the NHL. 

Doesn't mean he can't be a good player. Maybe they do park him in front of the net on the pp...it can't get worse, right?

Edited by flyercanuck
  • Like 1

Thanks for that info. Don't really have access to junior leagues over here in Denmark. So have no idea how these kids actually play, besides YouTube highlights. 

A shame though, was looking at his stats this season and was hoping he was bombing them in from the point and moving the puck effortlessly up the ice :)

• Like 1