2023-24 Philadelphia Flyers

On 8/16/2023 at 2:33 PM, OccamsRazor said:

I can see some Mitch Marner lite in him if he was on the wing.

Not sure if Torts would give him a shot though.

I'm okay if he moves to wing, but I like him better at center. He just needs wingers that will show up (cough cough Farabee).

I don’t think the Flyers have much to worry about with their forwards. They’ve got younger guys in the pipeline who should develop into solid contributors. Tippett and TK are already playing at a high level. And eventually…Michkov.

The D is an entirely different story. It’s basically a collection of weaknesses and liabilities. The Flyers will need a “best-case scenario” from the entire back end just to avoid getting blown out every night. Marc Staal will set a good example but the question is can anyone besides York, Zamula and maybe Sanheim benefit from it, from his leadership? 

Before the season starts Danny B may have to acquire at least one D-man who can play solid, stay-at-home defense 20+ minutes a night. Otherwise…it’s not about winning games it’s about avoiding embarrassment.

Edited by GratefulFlyers

On 8/16/2023 at 9:41 AM, OccamsRazor said:

I really wish the Flyers weren't so short on centers.

I would really like to see them try Morgan Frost at LW.

To me he seems best suited for that spot.

But with only Coots, Laughton and Poeling left to play center seems he maybe be shoe horned in there.

Maybe in time they can rearrange.

Frost -Gauthier-Michkov

On paper looks like a dandy!!!

Hopefully we get our #1 in the next draft. Either centre, or defenceman.  I'm completely fine with watching this team suck if there's light at the end of the tunnel. Celebrini. 😉

• Like 3

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

Hopefully we get our #1 in the next draft. Either centre, or defenceman.  I'm completely fine with watching this team suck if there's light at the end of the tunnel. Celebrini. 😉

I’m just concerned that if they suck too much it becomes all but impossible for the team to develop, not so much the Xs and Os but the stuff that makes a team a team - chemistry,  pride etc., all the stuff the Flyers lack in the worst way. Tortorella is all about Team D and the forwards will earn ice time by back checking but the D pairs, no matter how he puts them together will be weak (and “weak” is being kind).

3 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

I’m just concerned that if they suck too much it becomes all but impossible for the team to develop, not so much the Xs and Os but the stuff that makes a team a team - chemistry,  pride etc., all the stuff the Flyers lack in the worst way. Tortorella is all about Team D and the forwards will earn ice time by back checking but the D pairs, no matter how he puts them together will be weak (and “weak” is being kind).

Fair enough....but the team hasn't been developing for a decade. You acquire enough top end talent and heart and it'll work out.

• Like 1

"Sucking too much" is a non-issue.

You can't goldilocks a rebuild.

All you can do is acquire as many assets and as much talent as you can on a roughly equivalent timeline.  You're not guaranteed anything after that.

Edited by SCFlyguy

3 hours ago, SCFlyguy said:

"Sucking too much" is a non-issue.

You can't goldilocks a rebuild.

All you can do is acquire as many assets and as much talent as you can on a roughly equivalent timeline.  You're not guaranteed anything after that.

And you can't tank.

I know we joke about it.

I know maybe even upper management would be happy to suck for one more year to get that stud center they need.

But we all have to understand to them players they have left are not going to want any part of that.

I wouldn't even expect them too. But they might not be good enough to even get that close again.

This club doesn't have elite talent like they need right now but it is full of lunch pail players now.

Even Risto as dumb as we say he is and Sanheim as soft as we know he is will be playing he best that they can which i think put them right back into the mediocre realm we don't want to be in.

But we must prepare because i think it is coming.

I see them as very close to competing for that wild card spot.

Especially if they keep Hart.

That is what makes me completely seeing the front office moving Carter to push the rebuild further towards them despite his talent or what we think he is.

Hold on tight because there are going to be a lot of up and downs...and many who can't handle it might not want to watch.

7 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

And you can't tank.

I know we joke about it.

I know maybe even upper management would be happy to suck for one more year to get that stud center they need.

But we all have to understand to them players they have left are not going to want any part of that.

I wouldn't even expect them too. But they might not be good enough to even get that close again.

This club doesn't have elite talent like they need right now but it is full of lunch pail players now.

Even Risto as dumb as we say he is and Sanheim as soft as we know he is will be playing he best that they can which i think put them right back into the mediocre realm we don't want to be in.

But we must prepare because i think it is coming.

I see them as very close to competing for that wild card spot.

Especially if they keep Hart.

That is what makes me completely seeing the front office moving Carter to push the rebuild further towards them despite his talent or what we think he is.

Hold on tight because there are going to be a lot of up and downs...and many who can't handle it might not want to watch.

I don't think you could ever expect a professional athlete to be told 'we're tanking, try to lose". 

But you can tank by getting rid of veteran players who aren't in your future plans, weakening the present team to hopefully strengthen it in the future. 

I have no problem with going this route. None. And I'll watch them do it.

I'm just glad the"going for it every year" mentality is gone, along with the idiot one of the idiots who had no clue how to.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

But you can tank by getting rid of veteran players who aren't in your future plans, weakening the present team to hopefully strengthen it in the future. 

Exactly all that Danny can do.

But to me you can say when asked is we're in a rebuild.

So if you were un my (just for example not wanting leave anyone out) if you moved the big 4 you're taking those steps.

Hart

Konecny

Samheim

Risto

Those are the 4 big ones I am moving in a rebuild.

If I have to keep 2 of those 4 then I'd prefer to keep Hart and Konecny.

And that said still can't say they can move Sanheim and Risto.

But it would be nice.

1 hour ago, MaineFlyFan said:

Just signed Bonk to a 3 year entry deal.... is that "news?" Does it matter?

Is he any good?!....:)

Yep gives him a pat on the back for being a good soldier go back to Jrs handle his business and he will no less than be a Phantoms come 2024-25 if he looks ready.

Me like it.

As of this year his contract will slide.

If he doesn't look ready after this year his contract could slide again.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Mildly realistic #Flyers roster in three years time

Gauthier-Michkov-Konecny

Farabee-Celebrini-Tippett

Frost-Cates-Foerster

Brink-Desnoyers-Kaplan

Deslauriers

York-Bonk

Andrae-Adam Jiricek

Zamula-Ristolainen

Ersson