2023 Roster 17 players

phlfly

It does not look good as we don't know if Cam and Sean are ready to play. 

Also first round as high as #8 but avg #20 and tells you we are about worse situation ever been. We have only 2 first rounder in D . 

https://www.nhl.com/flyers/news/philadelphia-flyers-reduce-training-camp-roster-to-31-players?fbclid=IwAR39uXY82YEpALCk4882eEKgpgIet3rIBu10fSQiWV5NwsFs0mzNx4No17I

1 hour ago, phlfly said:

we don't know if Cam and Sean are ready to play will be anything like the same sort of player they were

FIFY, but the question of whether they will be effective and ready was a Last Year's question.

It really doesn't matter long term if Atkinson can go and Couturier is more of a "nice to have" and "career Flyer" to go along with ol' Laughts.

They have some talent to go along with effort, and the youth movement should be the focus.

• Like 1

Plan A   Atkinson and Coots have great first halves and get traded for picks, sooner than later.

Plan B   They both go on LTIR in October. Nothing personal against either player. If they are traded they will bring back picks. It also frees up cash to eat bad contracts for more picks at the trade deadline next March. 

The end goal is still lottery pick(s). 

13 minutes ago, flyer4ever said:

Plan A   Atkinson and Coots have great first halves and get traded for picks, sooner than later.

Plan B   They both go on LTIR in October. Nothing personal against either player. If they are traded they will bring back picks. It also frees up cash to eat bad contracts for more picks at the trade deadline next March. 

More like C

They trade Atkinson for something and are stuck with Coots the rest of the year.

• Like 1

I think we're all going to have to live with Couturier not going anywhere. Too many people like him. The only way he gets moved is if he wants out. 

Atkinson should garner a pick of he's healthy and scoring goals. If that's the case, the Flyers might be best served waiting until the deadline to move him. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, flyer4ever said:

I dont see anyone wanting a 31 year old with a bad back at 7 million for 6 more years 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I think we're all going to have to live with Couturier not going anywhere. Too many people like him. The only way he gets moved is if he wants out. 

yes there’s that but mostly it’s the cap hit that will make teams balk at acquiring Couturier. He and Atkinson both looked good in the preseason, like their old selves. How long can they last? Hopefully long enough for Atkinson to attract some interest and an offer at the TD.

3 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

yes there’s that but mostly it’s the cap hit that will make teams balk at acquiring Couturier. He and Atkinson both looked good in the preseason, like their old selves. How long can they last? Hopefully long enough for Atkinson to attract some interest and an offer at the TD.

I think the best news about Couturier is that he's 100% healthy, not just his back. He had a chance to heal knee, ankle and shoulder injuries. The Flyers might end up having to do maintenance days with him and give him time off every now and again to ensure his health is good, similar to what they do in basketball.

7 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

If I get a decent offer for Atkinson before the deadline...he's gone. Probably get a bit more at the TD, if he makes it there healthy. I'd rather something than nothing....and if he plays decently he's just going to hurt the draft position in the long run. 

On 10/4/2023 at 2:36 PM, flyercanuck said:

and if he plays decently he's just going to hurt the draft position in the long run.

Sure Atkinson will hurt the odds if he has a big year but that should make him attractive at the TD. If he basically sucks we're stuck with him and his nearly $6mil cap hit again next year.

Going for draft position may already be a non-starter anyway. Preseason is preseason, I get it, but it seems clear already the Flyers will finish higher than last year. It's hard to see them losing ground - points-wise - over last year. 

6 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Sure Atkinson will hurt the odds if he has a big year but that should make him attractive at the TD. If he basically sucks we're stuck with him and his nearly $6mil cap hit again next year.

Going for draft position may already be a non-starter anyway. Preseason is preseason, I get it, but it seems clear already the Flyers will finish higher than last year. It's hard to see them losing ground - points-wise - over last year. 

Which is why I said if I'd deal him for a decent offer before the deadline, instead of risking him being injured and being stuck with him. 

Depends on if briere wants to make more deals for draft capital. The more veterans he deals, the more we can suck. 

21 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Which is why I said if I'd deal him for a decent offer before the deadline, instead of risking him being injured and being stuck with him. 

Depends on if briere wants to make more deals for draft capital. The more veterans he deals, the more we can suck. 

I can just see the Flyers playing well going up to the deadline and they decide to keep all the vets and make a playoff push. I sure hope the greedy corporate owners don’t smell playoff $$ and handcuff Briere into trading any vets. I would look at offers for TK, Hart, Laughton,Atkinson, Hathaway, Walker and Staal. Coots and Risto are probably impossible to trade. Another half season can give Grans,Attard and Ginning more experience, so at least one guy can step in and replace a vet. If Poehling steps up his game , we can re-sign him for a little raise like  2 million a year ,then we can trade Laughton and save some $$. If we can unload Atkinson that gives more playing time to Brink and Foerester. …..and as you said the more vets we trade, the better it is for a draft pick. It would be so like the Flyers to improve themselves right out of the top ten pick, all for the sake of keeping a bunch of older players who are not in our future plans. Hathaway, Atkinson,Staal and Walker are our 2024 JVR, Brassard, Yandle and Braun, except they try harder. They are all lame ducks who are not part of the future and need to go by the deadline. This doesn’t look like a rebuild , it looks like the usual Flyers tactics of keeping two way veterans over younger guys with more skill. I hope it’s only for half a season.

17 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Why does this season already feel like a Dr. Pepper commercial? I know you all have seen it……🙄

17 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

I can just see the Flyers playing well going up to the deadline and they decide to keep all the vets and make a playoff push.

Haha yes you can see that because you’re a long-time Flyers’ fan. But the only way this happens is if they’re a lock to make the POs. In that unlikely event I couldn’t really blame them for keeping the roster intact. Just as long as they don’t trade away any picks or prospects in the process.

But I wouldn’t worry about it because realistically the chances the Flyers are in PO position at the TD is pretty small.

Edited by GratefulFlyers

18 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Right I understand. I just doubt anyone is interested in Atkinson until he makes it to the TD healthy and also having a real productive season.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

But I wouldn’t worry about it because realistically the chances the Flyers are in PO position at the TD is pretty small.

We'll see to me the 3 catalyst in them being a wild card contender is of course Hart and his ability to be on top of his game.

York being able to hold down the top pair and add offense and a sold two game. I can see a 45 point season from him.

And most importantly the real wild card how much offense he can add along with adding puck possession if nothing more than with simple plays to hold the puck in and QB basically. 

If Emil can keep it simple add subtle plays like a puck retrieval and pass nothing over the top and flashy just smart play...

...well then they can more likely be a threat for a wild card spot which is just where i see them since they didn't move more pieces when they could have.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/3/2023 at 12:40 PM, RonJeremy said:

I dont see anyone wanting a 31 year old with a bad back at 7 million for 6 more years 

No matter how Coots plays, dealing him means the Flyers giving up a 1st rd plus, or a 2+3 while eating half his salary. That's the reality of it. 

8 hours ago, jammer2 said:

No matter how Coots plays, dealing him means the Flyers giving up a 1st rd plus, or a 2+3 while eating half his salary. That's the reality of it. 

All it takes is a GM as dumb as Fletcher. You just gotta find someone that stupid. 

8 hours ago, jammer2 said:

We'll see. If Coots puts up a 25 goal season and 60 points I'm sorry but he is worth the money and moving AND sending a 1st or any pick to move him isn't even on the table if I am GM.

If I move him it's for something of value back or I am just going to keep him.

MM is supposed to be over here for the 25-26 season by then he'll only have 4 years left and if they need the cap space or just want to get rid of his contract maybe then you look to buy him out.

But as of now that is too far down the line to worry about now.

But I am not moving him and a 1st nope no way.

On 10/20/2023 at 11:06 PM, jammer2 said:

If we are stuck with Coots salary for 6 more years,  its all the more reason to deal Konecny.  You don't want to monstrous long term contracts when you are rebuilding. We also have the Sanheim contract. If somehow Coots is traded , then maybe you sign Konecny, but we do have alot of talented offensive style right wings. I think that management would prefer to keep Coots for leadership and his two way game , as long as his back holds out.