GrossmanN must be resigned before free agency begins...

Guest OccamsRazor

...this is my belief since we have a history of resigning players before they are allowed to test the market and let other teams drive up the price on them.

I have nothing negative to say about his play so far, and that says a lot. :wub:

For a big man he moves real well laterally, skates well although he may not be the fastest on the ice. He is the crease clearing brute this Dcorp needs.

From a positional standpoint he may only be bested by Kimmo. Blocks shot, and actually moves the puck well which you rarely see (or hear) from a stay at home Dman.

Outstanding game all around and looking at what they gave up to get him, i think Homer and company did an outstanding job (doing their homework), seems they learned from the Parent/ Kreijc(sp) pairing debacle from the Cup run.

Can never have too many experienced Dmen.

He is coming off a contract that paid him a mere 1.6mill (very affordable). So resigning him can help guard against losing Carle.

Now is noway am i saying he is like Carle but he would help ease the loss. Honestly with more experience(playing time) i believe Bourdon can spell Carle, similar game styles with Bourdon a more physical version of him.

So with that said Homer needs to hammer out like a 3-4 year deal and keep him in the fold. Of course before you ask with the NMC/NTC that is the signature Homer hands tied move! :rolleyes:

What say you. :D

Go Flyers!!!!!!

at one point in last night's game i said to my wife "wow it's nice to have a dman who can actually clear the crease!". Grossman has impressed me, he isn't afraid to get his hands dirty in the crease. I've been surprised some crosschecks/hits haven't been called on him as hard as he works to get the opposition away from our goalie.

I'd like to keep Grossmann around but how much do we need to take into account Pronger? If Pronger says he will be back next season do we have the cap space for Grossman?

Pronger's long term status needs to be evaluated before we can do anything about signing Grossmann.

Grossmann is pretty much what they hoped Matt Walker would be. I'm happy with him and he has been good at cleaning the porch.

He's on at $1.6M right now. If he could be re-signed in the $2M range that's probably a good addition.

I'm seeing Carle as the odd man out in this cap situation. Not anti-Carle, just looking at the way it may break out pending a decision on Pronger's contract.

just looking at the way it may break out pending a decision on Pronger's contract.

and pending the shape of the new CBA. kinda hard to project without knowing what that is going to look like.

Grossmann is pretty much what they hoped Matt Walker would be. I'm happy with him and he has been good at cleaning the porch.

He's on at $1.6M right now. If he could be re-signed in the $2M range that's probably a good addition.

I'm seeing Carle as the odd man out in this cap situation. Not anti-Carle, just looking at the way it may break out pending a decision on Pronger's contract.

Exactly not knowing what Carle is wanting to stay, Grossmann is another cheap and useful signing that is a top 4-5 Dman and haven't seen enough of him to envision his ceiling he's said all the right things to believe he'd be easy to resign and is the same age as Carle and Coburn.

Pronger may never play again and i only hope if that is the case with the CBA he can be bought out.

Gus and Bourdon are as good if not better than Lilja as well as solid prospects so Lilja walks.

Kubina souds affordable and is their only right handed shot which i like the powerplay having.

Best case scenario is Carle is resigned some how.

But Voracek needs resigning too, Jagr as well something is gonna have to give.....unless Jagr drops his salary to 2.5mill i wouldn't resign.

But i wonder if Giroux would go in a Briere like tail spin after losing his winger?

Oh well too many questions.....

Oh well too many questions.....

Dropping Carle is just one answer.

If there was no cap, you'd keep Carle. The cap makes for a lot of tough decisions, especially when you're as close to the cap as the Flyers are annually.

@radoran

If the cap goes up again (big assumption, but most are saying it is), that puts the Flyers with 16M to spend (including prongers 4.9m):

Carle- 4.5m

Jakub- 3.5m

Grossman- 2.5m

Kubina- Walk? 3m?

That totals 13.5m and roster is full. Lappy and Betts are off the books for roster spots as well.

Of course my numbers are just pissing in the wind.

@Vanflyer:

The cap is expected to rise over the summer, HOWEVER, it's expected to go way down once the new CBA is in place. I posted a link about a month ago about how teams are trying to come up with "internal budgets" for this offseason to try to compensate for not knowing what the cap will be once the CBA goes into effect.

Edit:

""Temporary salary cap

In what has been a vastly under-the-radar story, a buzz item among NHL GMs these days is how they’re going to approach this summer with what will be a higher but temporary salary cap number.

Confused?

The collective bargaining agreement doesn’t expire until Sept. 15 at midnight ET.

But NHL teams have to conduct business under this current CBA until then. As per the current system, the salary cap is once again expected to rise as of June 30 from the current $64.3 million upper limit to as high as $68 million to $69 million, according to guesstimates from some team executives.

That new cap number will exist only from June 30 to whenever a new CBA comes into effect.

The obvious issue is that most teams believe the cap will go down in the new CBA as owners try to scale back the players’ percentage of revenues (the players will have a mighty say in that, however).

So, you could have a situation where the cap is around $69 million for the summer and then much lower come the fall with a new CBA (again, the players will have a say in that).

This will force teams to come up with their own internal cap number based solely on guesswork this summer, because the last thing a team wants is to have a $69 million payroll on Aug. 30 and then be told it needs to shed a chunk of it come the new CBA in the fall.

Either way, just another wrinkle for this summer’s free-agent market."

Edited by AJgoal

Guesswork. It's a crappy way to do it, and I'm sure they'll push to get it installed sooner rather than later. Just not sure how far apart the groups are. I doubt anyone wants a stoppage like a few years ago.

Guesswork. It's a crappy way to do it, and I'm sure they'll push to get it installed sooner rather than later. Just not sure how far apart the groups are. I doubt anyone wants a stoppage like a few years ago.

The other thing that seems plausible is for the two sides to come up with some mechanism that enables a transition from one cap to the other. Similar to the 23% rollback from the last cap, though that didn't work as well as they intended. Maybe it'll be something to the general effect of any contract signed under the previous CBA shall remain in force at a cap hit of the average annual value - x%, where x% is the difference between the cap as of the expiration of the old CBA and the cap enforced by the new one. Probably also an element where for each year the new CBA is in force, there would be a reduction in allowable savings, so that players' contract value eventually will be enforced in full, but it won't take up massive chunks of the cap all at once.

That way, teams have some transition time, as players under longer-term deals would slowly reach their full cap value, and they'd have more room under the cap to make it all fit.

People are saying that Grossman would get 2-3 mil but has his play with Dallas and thus far with Philly worthy of possibly almost doubling his salary?

@trevluk

i don't know his work in Dallas so, i cannot make a 100 % well informed argument based on that, but i would say based on his play with us so far he's been good to very good, he's given the team some muscle around the crease, doesn't panic with the puck and makes good outlets and little plays in the zone to negate pressure. i like that he's pretty young what like 26 ? ,about the same age of the giroux , read, jvr group and will probably improve, I think he'd be a good addition and would be able to join that core group moving through the years. if it makes sense cap wise i don't see why you wouldn't reward him with a raise .

The more I see of Gross, the more I like him. If his demands are reasonable (around 2.0-2.5 a year) I'm gung-ho for resigning him. As steady as they come. I want to see more of Kubina before judgeing him, but what I have seen so far leads me to believe he should be resigned also. Bye-bye Carle.

The more I see of Gross, the more I like him. If his demands are reasonable (around 2.0-2.5 a year) I'm gung-ho for resigning him. As steady as they come. I want to see more of Kubina before judgeing him, but what I have seen so far leads me to believe he should be resigned also. Bye-bye Carle.

Kubina's at $3.8M now (IIRC) and will likely be willing to take a (significant?) cut to stay with a legit contender like the Flyers - especially if they make any noise in the playoffs.

Jagr, too, if his goal is to win a championship. Recchi (IIRC) made $2M in his Cup winning season with Bahstan.

Carle's fate lie with Pronger's contract IMO.

Kubina's at $3.8M now (IIRC) and will likely be willing to take a (significant?) cut to stay with a legit contender like the Flyers - especially if they make any noise in the playoffs.

Jagr, too, if his goal is to win a championship. Recchi (IIRC) made $2M in his Cup winning season with Bahstan.

It be nice if the Flyers can resign Grossmann and Kubina to reasonable contracts then they can decide on Carle's fate. With the new CBA coming in no one will know what's going to happen. Besides this year's UFA class doesn't look that great so players who would have gotten deals in the $2 million per year range might end up getting deals in the $3 million to $4 million per year range, a case of supply and demand.

If you watch Grossmann on the PK, it tells you all you need to know about him. The guy clears the crease and either blocks or attempts to block every shot. He is fearless and since he has been here, Bryzgalov's game has done a 180. I was pulling for him to become a flyer during the Suter/Weber madness and will be happy to see him signed for a 4yr 2.5 to 3.0 mil contract. Pavel Kubina has been pretty good too. I don't think he gets an offer of what he is currently making but I would make him an offer on par with Grossmann. I would also like to see him crank up that right handed shot from the point more often. Both of these guys have come into the fold and have been filling some pretty "large" skates in Pronger's absence. Pronger and large skates?...........Well you know what I mean.

If you watch Grossmann on the PK, it tells you all you need to know about him. The guy clears the crease and either blocks or attempts to block every shot. He is fearless and since he has been here, Bryzgalov's game has done a 180. I was pulling for him to become a flyer during the Suter/Weber madness and will be happy to see him signed for a 4yr 2.5 to 3.0 mil contract. Pavel Kubina has been pretty good too. I don't think he gets an offer of what he is currently making but I would make him an offer on par with Grossmann. I would also like to see him crank up that right handed shot from the point more often. Both of these guys have come into the fold and have been filling some pretty "large" skates in Pronger's absence. Pronger and large skates?...........Well you know what I mean.

Shots just seem to find him because he's so big and he always seems to be in the right spot.

He skates real well for a big man, also noticed him skating the puck through the neutral zone and making some nice passes something you just didn't hear about his game that has been on display.

The physical presence has really needed without Pronger not a bad wrister from the point either.

Hell of a find for Homer. No way they will let him walk, especially since they have trouble drafting defensemen.

Edit: His game would have been useful earlier in the season verse the Rangers and Bruin physical type teams,oh well they have him now and we'll see if he makes a difference. He made a difference playing against Malkin in the last Pen's game they played.

Edited by OccamsRazor

Wow Nick had another stellar game chewing up 24 minutes of ice time with 8 hits and 4 blocked shots!!!!!

Maqking it hard to decide to break he and Coburn up when Kimmo is healthy...maybe Mezz and Kimmo will be paired together when back healthy! Hell of a Dcorp of yo ask me!

Deepest in the NHL from 1-10 with out a doubt!

Carle/Kubina....Kimmo/Mezz....GrossmanN/ Coby...Gus/Bourdon...Manning/Lilja..future looks better now.

Homer get this cat wrapped up before other get a chance to drive up his price...........

• Like 1

Well he was't alone but GrossmanN had some sub par play.

Got to block that pass on the break, that was one he wiffed on.....

...like i said he wasn't the only one. Hopefully they'll bounce back.

Bryz's chance to shine...

Edited by OccamsRazor