Game 53: Seattle Kraken at Philadelphia Flyers; 2/10/24 @ 7 PM, Hulu, ESPN+

Greetings:

The bookies seem torn on this one, with a virtual dead heat on odds.  That seems strange given their records (a bit disrespectful of the Flyers).  

Seattle beat us in OT, 2-1 in December.  

This is a streaming game.

It's interesting how the bookies view this game. Statistically, they have a better power play, but overall, they are a toss-up. We have more wins and home ice advantage. Would I make us heavy favorites: no?  But I sense the sports books (I hate that term) still view us as a fluke 50+ games into the season. Maybe we're better off this way as a motivator. Or do they see something we don't?

I am out-of-town and communication. I'll look forward to your take. 

@Howie58

This is an interesting take. I have often thought, I think like a lot of us, that the team has been playing over its head and that it would eventually come down-to-earth. 

Echoing your thought, we're now 50 games into this jawn, and the team keeps winning, period.

It can't always be the case where the Flyers catch the good teams when they're having a bit of a rough stretch. (That did happen with Winnipeg last night.) But the first time the Flyers played the Jets,on the road, they whooped their a**** and the Jets had been on a tear.

@radoran, just said, this team has been enjoyable to watch For The First Time  since 2010-2012.

I too am enjoying watching Flyers  style hockey. Irrespective of what the experts and sports books say.

Draft position be damned I hope they smoke stepford Dave's well dressed team tonite.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Howie58 said:

But I sense the sports books (I hate that term) still view us as a fluke 50+ games into the season.

Seems so. I don't know if "they" aren't watching ... or maybe they  really believe a crash/burn is coming. If it does it'll be after the TD.

The Flyers have played a pretty consistent game this year. Goaltending has been excellent but it's only one of the reasons the Flyers have a good record, why they're so tough to beat. The one bad stretch - 5 straight losses - before the break was probably due to the Carter Hart situation.

Eventually the bookies will catch up...

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

Well, Cal Petersen to start. That is a twist.

sigh…well I guess it had to happen sooner or later. Maybe it’s good this one won’t be televised. Looks like I’ll be searching for streaming links again.

51 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

sigh…well I guess it had to happen sooner or later. Maybe it’s good this one won’t be televised. Looks like I’ll be searching for streaming links again.

His numbers at LVH aren't much different than Sandstrom's. Is it Cal or the team? I hope Cal plays well. The dude is not in a good career space. 

Petersen did play well but Seattle looked like a team that hadn’t played in ten days. Not a criticism of Petersen just reality. They got a lot better as the game went on but Petersen wasn’t tested much.

Plus the Flyers were excellent defensively all night. Chalk up another shortie for Poehling and the Power Kill…and the Flyers’ PP scored a goal. The win pushes them just over .500 at home.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Petersen did play well but Seattle looked like a team that hadn’t played in ten days. Not a criticism of Petersen just reality. They got a lot better as the game went on but Petersen wasn’t tested much.

Plus the Flyers were excellent defensively all night. Chalk up another shortie for Poehling and the Power Kill…and the Flyers’ PP scored a goal. The win pushes them just over .500 at home.

i really wish tank washed fans would just playoff hockey and ask themselves why doesnt great offenses win Stanley cups? even briere and jones are the ones that have been through playoffs and having success all the time, they know for the fact that great offenses dont win championships otherwise briere wouldnt have hired torts.

Edited by tucson83
  • Like 2

59 minutes ago, tucson83 said:

otherwise briere wouldnt have hired torts.

Yeah I'm sure his D-first approach was a big part of it and probably his "hard-ass" reputation too. When Tortorella was hired the Flyers clearly needed a couple things to happen right away - A) get rid of the Fletcher scrubs, and B) a wake-up call, accountability whatever to call it. Fletcher had them thinking and playing like losers who obviously didn't care much about each other let alone the logo, the city and the fans.

Tortorella's post-game last night is worth watching - he talks about Couturier and his "FU to me" at the end - good stuff.

1 hour ago, tucson83 said:

briere wouldnt have hired torts.

Briere didn't hire Torts.

Chuck Fletcher did. Well, sort of. They hired an outside firm to tell their GM who to hire.

Briere kept Tortorella.

2 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Poehling is really becoming one of my favorites. 

Nice to get a guy without overpaying for him both in assets and cap-wise.

This is where the whole "change of scenery" plays in.

Many are terribly disappointed in Frost, expecting him to be a second line center based on draft position.

Poehling was taken two spots AHEAD of Frost.

He's fitting in here because he's not expected to be a top six influence guy.

He's a solid NHL player, just not the "first rounder" that people expect something from.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, radoran said:

This is where the whole "change of scenery" plays in.

Many are terribly disappointed in Frost, expecting him to be a second line center based on draft position.

Poehling was taken two spots AHEAD of Frost.

He's fitting in here because he's not expected to be a top six influence guy.

He's a solid NHL player, just not the "first rounder" that people expect something from.

I get when you pick top 10 you maybe expect a player to be in the top 6, but when you pick 25th (or in Frosts case, 27th) you should just be happy to get an NHLer out of it. 

Poehling got overhyped post draft, maybe a bit went to his head or maybe he just wasn't what they said he was, but he's becoming a very good bottom 6 guy, and they're important if you want to win championships.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

I get when you pick top 10 you maybe expect a player to be in the top 6, but when you pick 25th (or in Frosts case, 27th) you should just be happy to get an NHLer out of it. 

Poehling got overhyped post draft, maybe a bit went to his head or maybe he just wasn't what they said he was, but he's becoming a very good bottom 6 guy, and they're important if you want to win championships.

Poehling is wearing #25 and his name practically rhymes with Podein. Of course he's succeeding. 

• Like 2
  • Good Post 2

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

he's becoming a very good bottom 6 guy, and they're important if you want to win championships.

Well, exactly, but it's also why he's a solid bottom six player in Philadelphia and not Montreal.

And could be why Morgan Frost winds up being "that guy" somewhere else.

I'm not knocking Poehling, I'm knocking the tendency to sour on guys who don't live up to expectations they didn't set

If one gets past the tendency to expect every first rounder to be a top six player, you can develop your own Scott Laughtons.

:hocky:

• Good Post 1