Coots is the new Flyers Captain

Fuzz

The right choice was Konecny, but I'm not "upset" like the horrendous Jason Smith choice backinnaday.

This was inevitable since he signed an extension and Giroux was shipped off to Florida

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, radoran said:

The right choice was Konecny, but I'm not "upset" like the horrendous Jason Smith choice backinnaday.

This was inevitable since he signed an extension and Giroux was shipped off to Florida

I would have been happy with captain TK as well. He's been a different player since he's been a dad. He has done well since he's been given more responsibility. 

I wonder about his contract extention and if there are doubts that he'll sign? 

I think Couturier is a fine choice, regardless. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, radoran said:

I agree the choice of player was inevitable but I’m surprised they decided to name a captain this year. Maybe we’ll find out why they thought it necessary to do it now. Seems to me this is outta the blue.

Couturier makes the most sense as the elder statesman, entire career with the Flyers, signed for the next umpteen years…just curious why now?

I would’ve preferred TK as well if only to signal that he’s here to stay.

6 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

I would’ve preferred TK as well if only to signal that he’s here to stay.

Being named Flyer captain recently has meant you're NOT sticking around....Name the last Flyer captain that wasn't traded. 🤔

• Good Post 1

3 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Being named Flyer captain recently has meant you're NOT sticking around....Name the last Flyer captain that wasn't traded. 🤔

The last Flyer captain was here for 10 years...

The one before that got injured.

The one before that was traded in a grand masterstroke of genius that set the team up for unprecedented success for the next decade.

Oh, wait...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

12 hours ago, radoran said:

Wouldn't look good to trade your new Captain...Danny is thinking ahead...

:5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

48 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Wouldn't look good to trade your new Captain...Danny is thinking ahead...

Think about who they can add with Coots' LTIR money when his back goes out!

4 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

if you don't agree then we'll just have to agree your idea of a rebuild and my idea of a rebuild do not align one bit.

I'm more curious about Briere's idea of a rebuild, honestly.

Now that we're building the team around a 31-year-old with a dodgy back who's signed until he's 37.

:hocky:

4 minutes ago, radoran said:

I'm more curious about Briere's idea of a rebuild, honestly.

Me too that is why i really wished they would have let Danny take over last year before the trade deadline we would know more i think of what his plan is and what he is more capable of. I just hope he does what is best for the club not his friendships.

5 minutes ago, radoran said:

Now that we're building the team around a 31-year-old with a dodgy back who's signed until he's 37.

I'm not going to hold this against him to much he didn't give Coots that deal but we also know he isn't ever going to trade his past roomate and his kid's past babysitter...which is ashame.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, CoachX said:

is a mistake.

At least you'll be happy now they won't be trading your favorite player now Scotty is here for you!!!

4sbLM3Kv.png.a6c9fc7cc3f8ff03b242d6ffcefdb1f9.png

Don't worry remain calm it's going to all be ok. Enjoy your day.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

but we also know he isn't ever going to trade his past roomate and his kid's past babysitter...which is ashame.

who would take on that player with that contract?

It takes two to tango. I'm not seeing anyone lining up to trade for 14 kinda like I'm not seeing anyone lining up for 55. 

If the dude is going to be here regardless, why not maximize his impact?

I think putting the letter on 14's sweater may mean the Danny Jonesy® is thinking what you're thinking about Konecny and their ability to resign him in a way that doesn't cripple the team going forward.

• Like 2
  • Good Post 1

35 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

My point exactly the Flyers are stuck with Coots till they decide to buy him out and I guess they can live with but they can afford Coots and TK taking up close to 20 mill of the cap space in 3 years.

So IMHO in my rebuild someone has to go.

And TK will fetch the biggest return.

39 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

It takes two to tango. I'm not seeing anyone lining up to trade for 14 kinda like I'm not seeing anyone lining up for 55. 

If the dude is going to be here regardless, why not maximize his impact?

I think putting the letter on 14's sweater may mean the Danny Jonesy® is thinking what you're thinking about Konecny and their ability to resign him in a way that doesn't cripple the team going forward.

Yep I love these guys the home grown especially but at the end of the day it's a business and they have other guys they have to get under the cap too.

At some point you have to draw a line in the sand and well Danny Jones better be up for the task.

It is no different that Haason Reddick wanting a new deal even though he is under contract for one more season.

Sure you can give him a pay bump fine but if rumors he wants to be paid around 25 mill per season Howie has no choice vuy to move him if they can find a taker because you can't give that type of money to a 30 year old DE/OLBer you just can with a defense in need of a major over haul.

• Like 1