Can someone explain the power play?

CoachX

Watching the game vs NJ I was so frustrated watching the power play. How is it year in, year out, this never gets better? I understand player personnel issues but I don’t get how this squad plays well on the penalty kill and sucks with the advantage. They look lost, out of sync, and dysfunctional.

is it a coaching issue

7 minutes ago, CoachX said:

I understand player personnel issues but I don’t get how this squad plays well on the penalty kill and sucks with the advantage.

PK is about effort, PP is about skill.

I mean, that's the short answer.

We don't have the guys yet. 

the Flyers don't have enough guys who can see the ice, dangle, pass and shoot at full speed.

Some of the issue is young guys needing to adjust to pace of the league. I'd put Brink and Foerster in this group. I think eventually, in the next 1.5 years Foerster is going to get his timing down to where he'll be able to receive a pass and shoot in one motion not two. Even his wrister is lethal, but he has been taking that .25 of a second to get himself "straight" and that's all it takes for a defender to get a stick or body in front of the puck. 

There isn't a true #1 power play QB on the roster. Could York or Drysdale grow into it? Maybe.

The best power plays have that guy that can distribute to the puck to cutter and or get a shot through the traffic to create the chaos around the net. Giroux could do this from the half wall, Makar does it from the point, Kucherov from the opposite half wall and he has Hedman at the point. Boston has McAvoy, Pastarnak and Marchand each of whom can do all the things.

Guys make a difference.

• Like 4

It's less a coaching issue,its more of a lack of finesse players and skill. Our PP and shootout ability has sucked for ages. We have had different head coaches,  PP coaches and players and it didn't matter. The common denominator has been that we just don't have the right combination of players and skill level to have a successful PP. In order to have a good PP you need a true PP QB with good a good shot and creativity ,a skilled partner for that dman, a slick playmaker center to setup everyone, a finisher and a big LW to dominate the boards. Our PP is predictable,  tne passes are all telegraphed and everything is on the perimeter, we rarely get clean shots or setup creative scoring chances. How is it that our 7th dman,Zamula seems to be our only dman who can get the puck on net. We have some younger players who have shown some potential on the PP,guys like Frost,  Foerester and Drysdale, but none are consistent enough yet. Frost has setup skills,  Foerester and Tippett have great shots,  Drysdale has setup skating ability but none are doing enough on the PP. Maybe in time that will improve. York hasn't shown that he is a pp qb, Sanheim has great skill and was deadly in Juniors but isn't even on the PP and hasn't done enough to be a real threat. I would think Michkov and Bonk would help, but we can't expect rookies to come in and take over right away. We need to keep looking for some skilled players via trades and the draft and also hope our young guys especially York and Drysdale step up their game next year. It all starts with the defense rushing the puck and setting the plays up.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

the Flyers don't have enough guys who can see the ice, dangle, pass and shoot at full speed.

Some of the issue is young guys needing to adjust to pace of the league. I'd put Brink and Foerster in this group. I think eventually, in the next 1.5 years Foerster is going to get his timing down to where he'll be able to receive a pass and shoot in one motion not two. Even his wrister is lethal, but he has been taking that .25 of a second to get himself "straight" and that's all it takes for a defender to get a stick or body in front of the puck. 

There isn't a true #1 power play QB on the roster. Could York or Drysdale grow into it? Maybe.

The best power plays have that guy that can distribute to the puck to cutter and or get a shot through the traffic to create the chaos around the net. Giroux could do this from the half wall, Makar does it from the point, Kucherov from the opposite half wall and he has Hedman at the point. Boston has McAvoy, Pastarnak and Marchand each of whom can do all the things.

Guys make a difference.

We're on the same page.

• Like 1

Joe Mullen. Under his leadership the PP always ranked in the top half, usually in the Top 10. IIRC he ran the PP for 10 years and it always stayed around 20%. Rocky Thompson may be getting all he can out of who he's got IDK but I'd love to see Mullen back with the Flyers.

and then there's what @mojo1917 and @RonJeremy mentioned - the Flyers have just a few players whose goal-scoring talent is mature and reliable, whether it's on the PP or even-strength: TK, Couturier and Atkinson. The rest need seasoning.

3 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

Guys make a difference.

I remember watching the PP the year that Forsberg played....it was absolutely INSANE how he could pass the puck through 2 defenders and land it on a player's tape who was poised for an easy tap in...kind of speaks to the point of your post!!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, flyerdog said:

I remember watching the PP the year that Forsberg played....it was absolutely INSANE how he could pass the puck through 2 defenders and land it on a player's tape who was poised for an easy tap in...kind of speaks to the point of your post!!

It's really the vision to see that, much less attempt it, that's the difference.

When people talk "skill" is when guys make those thoughts into plays.

39 minutes ago, Tomdog said:

I don’t watch the flyers enough to grade their talent, but one thought on blaming the talent that sticks out to me is how do you explain the pens PP woes?

Their core is so old that if you lit all the candles on their birthday cakes, it would look like a prairie fire.

• Haha 2

40 minutes ago, Tomdog said:

I don’t watch the flyers enough to grade their talent, but one thought on blaming the talent that sticks out to me is how do you explain the pens PP woes?

EASY.... Penguins F* CKING suck.

(You're on a Flyers forum dude..... come on! :)

On 2/21/2024 at 4:02 AM, jammer2 said:

Just part of the problem, but the D at the point really lack strong lateral movement. That is essential for opening up passing lanes. 

For sure. Sanheim doesn’t seem to have a knack for it but Zamula does. He and Drysdale are potential PP QBs. Both have a long way to go. At least they’re the right age; the Flyers don’t need to hurry them. 

• Like 1

What I’m seeing is the puck carrier coming up the ice has no idea what he’s going to do with it. When he does, the player receiving the puck isn’t ready because he had no idea is happening either. When they try to carry it in, they bunch up at the line and are easy to defend. Pissburg made them look silly on a dbl minor. In those instances where they do gain the zone, defenders just pressure the puck carrier and he cough up the puck easily.  On this rare occasions where they get set up for a shot, it’s hurried and usually misses the net

to me this looks like poor preparation and coaching