Flyers have traded Sean Walker/2026 fifth-rounder to Avs for 2025 1st/Ryan Johansen

1 minute ago, mojo1917 said:

@radoran

Yeah without the first part, (those guys love him) the second part makes less sense.

NONE of it "makes sense" for the term, the amount, or the situation.

They wanted to do it.

They did it.

It's done.

:hocky:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

if we're taking Johansen back why are we throwing in a 5th?

Danny got the 5th back...ok well he is trying to earn my respect back...good he has a ways to go!

6 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Danny got the 5th back...ok well he is trying to earn my respect back...good he has a ways to go!

Want my respect back? Stop throwing in draft picks on trades.

The chances of getting an NHL player with a 5th rounder are slim...but they're twice as good if you have 2-5th rounders. 

Theres a reason Philly probably ranks dead last in the NHL at drafting NHLers in the 2nd round. We all know what it is.

• Like 1

I was OK with keeping Seeler, simply because he play was worth more than the 3rd rd pick he would have sent back...

HOWEVER...I had some preconceived cut off points with Seeler. The term was MAX 2 years and the cap hit was MAX 2.2 mill per year. Danny exceeded these cut off points, making this a VERY bad idea. 

To much salary and way to much term considering his age and skill set. Danny, as a team builder took a step back in my mind...makes me question if he's ready for this. Crucial error here. 

For this to be somewhat salvageable...Seeler must play as the defensive minded stalwart on the 2nd pairing AND be the primary short handed Dman for the life of this deal. I do think the effort will always be there...BUT, will the body be willing considering his style of play?? What does a 33-34 year old Seeler play like? 

• Like 1

It's clear we value Seeler less than the managment does.

That said.

Trading the team's 2nd best defenceman in the midst of a playoff run doesn't exactly say "Going all in" this year.

Also. Ivan Provorov has been turned into 2 1st round picks. 

I think that's pretty okay.

Is it 9 picks in the first two rounds of the next two drafts? 

That's some ammo to get better with.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

It's clear we value Seeler less than the managment does.

That said.

Trading the team's 2nd best defenceman in the midst of a playoff run doesn't exactly say "Going all in" this year.

Also. Ivan Provorov has been turned into 2 1st round picks. 

I think that's pretty okay.

Is it 9 picks in the first two rounds of the next two drafts? 

That's some ammo to get better with.

8 picks. Two of each (1st and 2nd) in 24 and 25.

• Thanks 1

Danny has to balance a rebuild with repairing Fletcher damage...

all the while trying to stay competitive this season...

I guess the question is...who take's walker's spot  with Drysdale and Risto injured

Seeler
Sanheim

York

Zamula
Staal

who is #6 right now? call up?  Does Attard get another shot? Ginning? 

Edited by flyerdog

3 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Want my respect back? Stop throwing in draft picks on trades.

The chances of getting an NHL player with a 5th rounder are slim...but they're twice as good if you have 2-5th rounders. 

Theres a reason Philly probably ranks dead last in the NHL at drafting NHLers in the 2nd round. We all know what it is.

Krug and Gauthier were right. The Flyers are the land of misfit toys. The Seeler contract is just more proof.

49 minutes ago, flyerdog said:

who is #6 right now? call up?  Does Attard get another shot? Ginning?

York/Sanheim

Zamula/Staal

Ginning/Attard

Next game.

51 minutes ago, flyer4ever said:

The Flyers are the land of misfit toys. The Seeler contract is just more proof.

I have a couple of thoughts about the Seeler deal, the first is after two years, that is a tradeable contract.

Could the length mean the FO is hedging that the rebuild could take more time?

Torts loves Seeler, uses him as exhibit A for the effort he wants to see. Having him around and not locked down with an Andrew MacDonald contract isn't the worst thing for a mostly young roster. Also, if somehow they're able to move on from Ristolainen then this signing becomes even less bad. 

And lastly **** Tory Krug, that gnat ****** with the girl's name isn't exactly killing it in Barbequeville.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

Those managment guys ****** love that guy.

He wants to be a Flyer. I think we underestimate how much that means to this group of managers.

I think the deal is for too long, it's not the worst thing to happen- but it's not the best either. 

Isn't that why Laughtons so coveted here, because of those intagibles he brings

• Like 1

The Flyers could trade a broken zamboni and a tub of flat beer for a legitimate 40 goal scorer, and this forum would find fault with it

Four first round picks in the next two years? For me the argument stops right there. Its the same kind of thing Howie did to rebuild the Eagles. It also says its proof they are still committed to the rebuild and NOT going for it now (even though the playoffs are possible). But hey, let's not focus on that, Danny gave up a 5th !

image.jpeg.97dffe0e8b9544e4e8432e1b48cbbb8f.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, CoachX said:

Isn't that why Laughtons so coveted here, because of those intagibles he brings

You mean their #1 center?

3 million for a #1 is a steal...

🥳

Edited by OccamsRazor
#bourbonup

13 minutes ago, CoachX said:

The Flyers could trade a broken zamboni and a tub of flat beer for a legitimate 40 goal scorer, and this forum would find fault with it

Four first round picks in the next two years? For me the argument stops right there. Its the same kind of thing Howie did to rebuild the Eagles. It also says its proof they are still committed to the rebuild and NOT going for it now (even though the playoffs are possible). But hey, let's not focus on that, Danny gave up a 5th !

image.jpeg.97dffe0e8b9544e4e8432e1b48cbbb8f.jpeg

Flat beer is better than no beer.... amirite? 😉

I'm glad to have 4 - 1st round picks. But it would be nice to have top 10 picks where your chances of finding a stud are greatly improved....all those picks we have, FYI, could end up being FOUR SCOTT LAUGHTONS

evil-laugh.gif

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, CoachX said:

Four first round picks in the next two years? For me the argument stops right there. Its the same kind of thing Howie did to rebuild the Eagles.

In one sense, you're not wrong and I'm not totally disagreeing here. Two of them are all but guaranteed to be 25+. And the Flyers' pair are now likely to be in the middle of the round. To @flyercanuck's point, you could get four Scott Laughtons with those picks...

Football isn't the best comparison as the talent doesn't drop off as precipitously as it can in hockey. But Howie did trade up to #2 to get Wentz and traded up into the top 10 to get Carter last year.

In fact, he's traded up in each of the past three drafts. Let's see what happens with the current bounty.

(Oh, and one of the 2nds that they're "getting" is because they didn't manage to sign one of the 1sts. #winning!)

28 minutes ago, CoachX said:

It also says its proof they are still committed to the rebuild

The main question is what does "the rebuild" look like?

Winning a Cup or back to being a consistent lower half playoff team?

image.gif

Edited by radoran
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Again, not exactly a shining endorsement! 😁

I'm not going out and getting a sweet #24 Stadium series sweater anytime soon.

But, I don't think the signing is terrible, it doesn't do anything to hamper any plan going forward in anyway. 

I'd have preferred one less year. I understand why they signed him.

They have plenty of outs after 2 years, and in that time, ol' Nick will still be serviceable in his role. 

I don't begrudge the man getting paid a little bit.

It doesn't move the needle for me either way.

I don't view signing a good soldier to a modest contract as the harbinger of ineptitude that a lot of other folks do. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

I'm not going out and getting a sweet #24 Stadium series sweater anytime soon.

Ok, THAT was funny. 

Briere hasn't fallen into the "Chuck Fletcher hole of ineptitude" or anything, as far as I'm concerned. The Seeler signing is in no way as stupid as the Risto trade, and then Risto signing of complete stupidity that will take the franchise years to recover from. That said,  even in his Walker trade....I mean sending Walker and taking Johansen back, that's worth a 1st at the deadline, easily, all day long. At least. Yet just like pretty much every Flyer GM for the last 3 decades, a draft pick gets thrown in going the other way. I get one 5th rounder isn't going to make or break, just like giving Seeler a little bit more than he's worth won't either. It's the constant, GM after GM of doing both these things. 

For me, it was just the faint hope that we would FINALLY do a complete rebuild. Tear it down, draft a superstar or two, and enjoy the ride back up in hopes of winning that elusive cup before we're all dead. 

Instead, here we are in the middle of the pack, hoping Tortsie can squeeze one more ounce of juice out of that ol' orange rind. I just don't see adding a few twenty something picks to whats here already winning a cup. I hope to hell I'm wrong and I'd gladly eat crow. But when I watch teams hoist the cup and look at our roster, it ain't even close.

Edited by flyercanuck
  • Like 2
  • Good Post 2

16 hours ago, SCFlyguy said:

I just got to the part where they resigned Seeler.  That is incredibly dumb.

Paying a guy $2.7M at that age because he's too unskilled to do anything other than not get out of the way of the puck is not a winning move. 

My guess is he loses a step at 32 and is basically unplayable from that point on.

The Edmonton media and more than a few fans used to prostrate themselves by waxing poetic about the shotblocking of Kris Russell. I don't want to be misunderstood, because it's a good thing to block a shot. It's also true that if you're always blocking a lot of shots, the other team just has the puck too damned much. Those guys usually have a pretty rough transition into their 30s, as that sort of game really takes it toll on your body.

• Like 3
  • Good Post 1

17 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Ok, THAT was funny. 

Briere hasn't fallen into the "Chuck Fletcher hole of ineptitude" or anything, as far as I'm concerned. The Seeler signing is in no way as stupid as the Risto trade, and then Risto signing of complete stupidity that will take the franchise years to recover from. 

For me, it was just the faint hope that we would FINALLY do a complete rebuild. Tear it down, draft a superstar or two, and enjoy the ride back up in hopes of winning that elusive cup before we're all dead. 

Instead, here we are in the middle of the pack, hoping Tortsie can squeeze one more ounce of juice out of that ol' orange rind. I just don't see adding a few twenty something picks to whats here already winning a cup. I hope to hell I'm wrong and I'd gladly eat crow. But when I watch teams hoist the cup and look at our roster, it ain't even close.

I'm sure that surreptitiously planted microphone would have picked up a lot of "he plays Flyers hockey!" sorts of things being said when they were talking about re-signing Seeler. I agree; it's not a crippling signing. I just think it doesn't serve to move the needle for the team in any way, shape or form.

For anybody worried that Seeler will be blocking a young defenseman: if that young defenseman can't move past the 3rd pairing guy who spends too much time defending, you have bigger problems to worry about.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, JR Ewing said:

I'm sure that surreptitiously planted microphone would have picked up a lot of "he plays Flyers hockey!" sorts of things being said when they were talking about re-signing Seeler. I agree; it's not a crippling signing. I just think it doesn't serve to move the needle for the team in any way, shape or form.

For anybody worried that Seeler will be blocking a young defenseman: if that young defenseman can't move past the 3rd pairing guy who spends too much time defending, you have bigger problems to worry about.

And if by " Flyer hockey" you mean nowhere near Norris trophy quality, plays more in his own end than the other, and has never played in the 2nd round, ya, nailed it. Seeler actually has 5, count 'em FIVE playoff games in his career resume. That's the kind of experience the Flyers need to build on.

Meanwhile Stanley cup winners find defencemen just as good or better than Seeler with 2nd, 3rd and 4th round picks. Which they could have got for Seeler. Then signed someone just as good this offseason. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

York/Sanheim

Zamula/Staal

Ginning/Attard

Next game.

for real? that's a LOT of inexperience in that third pairing...would rather they pair Staal and Sanheim with each of the call ups, for stability

Remember when Tortorella said this, pretending that a rebuild was actually going to happen? 

‘You just can’t fall in love’,” Tortorella concluded. “You can’t because if you do, it’s going to set you back. We’ve got to look at the organizational view of how to do this. You’ll be friends with that player if you like him that much. You’ll be friends and you’re gonna care about him the rest of your life, but there has to be– there’s going to be some tough decisions coming along here. So, we gotta be really careful to not let our emotions get in the way of making the proper decision for the team.”

In my dream world where the Flyers actually know what they're doing, this means trading Seeler for picks, not re-signing for too much money at too long of term. Then I woke up. And the 3rd pairing of a mediocre team is all set for 4 more years at almost $8 million. 

Edited by flyercanuck
  • Good Post 2