Game 67: Toronto Maple Leafs at Philadelphia Flyers; 3/14/24 @ 7:30, ESPN+, Hulu

Games like this one highlight the talent disparity between the scrappy hard-working Flyers and guys who are great at hockey see: Matthews,Auston

If we can see it I know Daniel and Keith can see it.

I'd like to see these the Danny Jonesy get creative this offseason and raise the talent level some more.

There are some good players on this team.

But if the team isn't playing it's B+ game they aren't winning. 

The Flyers have been smoked by teams with more talent that could only muster their C game this season, Colorado and Tampa come to mind immediately. 

More talent is definitely needed. 

@Howie58 is there anything new about Michkov that makes you think he will not come over? Or is this a reiteration of a long-held suspicion?

To me, I don't see why Michkov wouldn't come to the best league in the world to play hockey. 

1 minute ago, mojo1917 said:

Games like this one highlight the talent disparity between the scrappy hard-working Flyers and guys who are great at hockey see: Matthews,Auston

If we can see it I know Daniel and Keith can see it.

I'd like to see these the Danny Jonesy get creative this offseason and raise the talent level some more.

There are some good players on this team.

But if the team isn't playing it's B+ game they aren't winning. 

The Flyers have been smoked by teams with more talent that could only muster their C game this season, Colorado and Tampa come to mind immediately. 

More talent is definitely needed. 

@Howie58 is there anything new about Michkov that makes you think he will not come over? Or is this a reiteration of a long-held suspicion?

To me, I don't see why Michkov wouldn't come to the best league in the world to play hockey. 

I think Michkov would come....not so sure how Giant Ego Putin feels about that though.

• Good Post 1

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

If only there was a way for the Flyers to get some.....hmmmmm. 😉

We should discuss that sometime ... lol

46 minutes ago, Lindbergh31 said:

I hope the Flyers don't win any of their remaining games and fall a lot in the standings to get a better pick.

Will it make much of a difference? AFAIK they won't make the lottery even if they lose every remaining game but I could be wrong. Isn't the lottery just for the bottom 10 teams?

Briere needs to be creative at the draft. I'm sure Celebrini is off the table probably Levshunov too (RHD) but maybe he can trade a few picks - he's got 9 this year, 2 in 1R - to move higher.

Fans who follow Juniors, College etc. can tell us if it's worth doing this year, or maybe better to wait till next year when the draft is supposed to be deeper?

46 minutes ago, Lindbergh31 said:

Ersson looks like he's tired!

He does. Last night he only gave up 1 bad goal but it was a real bad goal - screened by Sanheim but the shot came from above the circles... He hasn't played 2 bad games in a row all year. Now suddenly he gets pulled in 2 out of the last 3... tired for sure.

Edited by GratefulFlyers

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

I think Michkov would come....not so sure how Giant Ego Putin feels about that though.

As long as we sanction Putin for Ukraine, he will embargo top hockey talent. 

That 3rd playoff spot sliding away slowly they tied with the Bolts right now but Tampa has a game in hand as well.

Isles 4 points behind but also 2 games in hand so the playoffs has started already for this young Flyers squad now we going to see what they made of.

Injuries are no excuse many teams are missing guys.

It's next man up and the quality or lack thereof is about to be show cased.

So far well it just isn't looking good...

21 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Injuries are no excuse many teams are missing guys.

Nobody will use it as an excuse but reality is reality. Seeler has been playing real good hockey for the Flyers this year. With him in the lineup the whole dynamic on the ice changes. Enough to beat the Leafs last night? Who knows but an honest appraisal you have to think "maybe."

The Flyers have relied on playing a tight structured team D this year, forcing TOs, quick transitions to offense. That structure is totally out of whack right now. Maybe they can get it back before they drop out of the POs. We'll see.

I am against trading multiple picks to move up in the first round.  The Flyers don't have enough assets to take fewer bites at the apple.

You want higher picks?  Stop keeping assets that should have been traded at their high point.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GratefulFlyers said:

We should discuss that sometime ... lol

I may have broached the subject once or twice. 

All non -playoff teams are in the lottery, but you can only move up 10 spots. We could probably still get a heck of a lot better player at 5th or 6th than at 17th or 18th. 

Edited by flyercanuck
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, SCFlyguy said:

I am against trading multiple picks to move up in the first round.  The Flyers don't have enough assets to take fewer bites at the apple.

You want higher picks?  Stop keeping assets that should have been traded at their high point.

Exactly. Keeping guys like Seeler and Laughton help keep the Flyers maybe a playoff team.

Meanwhile, if you traded them while they're still worth something (see Wayne Simmonds among many others) you not only gain more draft capital/prospects, but likely make your draft picks better. 

No brainer IF you were actually rebuilding. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Isn't the lottery just for the bottom 10 teams?

I do believe that all non-playoff teams go into the lottery but the chances of a team who maybe the 15th or 16th worse team moving up very high in the draft are slim to none but there's always a chance.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Keeping guys like Seeler and Laughton help keep the Flyers maybe a playoff team.

Yep we were warned by Torts not to fall in love with these players the mission was to rebuild and all they did was fall in love with these players and kept them.

SMFH

:bonkingheadonwall:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Yep we were warned by Torts not to fall in love with these players the mission was to rebuild and all they did was fall in love with these players and kept them.

SMFH

:bonkingheadonwall:

who is the "they" in your post?

2 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Front office.

which players did they keep that you think they should have jettisoned? The one they "fell in love" with?

Just now, CoachX said:

which players did they keep that you think they should have jettisoned? The one they "fell in love" with?

Seeler and Laughton.

It's a rebuild.

Keeping them was for the playoffs anything else said otherwise is a lie.

@flyercanuck

Said it best.

Trade those guys and go find the next Seeler and Walker in free agency and try turning them into the next Seeler and Walker that you can in turn maybe at next year's deadline keep flipping and add assets while rebuilding.

They fugged up.

3 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Seeler and Laughton.

It's a rebuild.

I'm not saying you easily find the next Seeler in free agency but he was a 7th Dman they could have turned into a 3rd rounder for the rebuild or even used that 3rd in a package for something to help towards it.

I undedrstand Seeler. I also understand why they kept him. I guess I would want to know what the return would be to determine if it was worth it to keep a "Character" guy

Laughton, I dont think they had an offer they liked. All reports were they wanted a first. Im guessing the rest of the league thought he wasn't worth that. I agree with them. I'd rather have Seeler

In the end, I think they are sticking to the plan. There is noting here that will make me anxious...other than watching a game and NOT hearing Laughtons name mentioned through two periods

• Good Post 1

1 hour ago, SCFlyguy said:

They need to take a bite of a better apple.

If they identify a player they want and if they can make a move to get him, I think they have to look at it.

Right now they're picking 17th and 25+ (possibly 32). Next year looks like much of the same.

Adding multiple Laughtons isn't going to move the talent needle. You have to go back to 2015 to find a draft with impact players in it that late (Connor 17, Boeser 23, Konecny 24) and even they aren't game breakers.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, radoran said:

They need to take a bite of a better apple.

If they identify a player they want and if they can make a move to get him, I think they have to look at it.

Right now they're picking 17th and 25+ (possibly 32). Next year looks like much of the same.

Adding multiple Laughtons isn't going to move the talent needle. You have to go back to 2015 to find a draft with impact players in it that late (Connor 17, Boeser 23, Konecny 24) and even they aren't game breakers.

I wish we could get Dickinson or Lindstrom in this draft but both will be gone by the 5th or 6th pick. If we collapse enough and some teams below us get hot maybe we can pick 12th and have a better shot at trading up. 

39 minutes ago, radoran said:

Adding multiple Laughtons isn't going to move the talent needle

my favorite post ever:63:

Edited by CoachX

45 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Trade those guys and go find the next Seeler and Walker in free agency and try turning them into the next Seeler and Walker that you can in turn maybe at next year's deadline keep flipping and add assets while rebuilding.

In the case of Scott Laughton, here's another example of why the sports business sucks. 

That dude is very well thought of by everyone in the organization and most fans excluding our beloved @CoachX

They leaned on him to try to pilot through the lazy Hasey locker room, is there a charity we need to have a player support? Get Laughts.

He is respected and beloved by his teammates, admired by his employers. I understand why they set the asking price high. 

It's not like trading 2 heads of cattle for a horse. 

Plus he had term on his contract, I wouldn't trade a guy like that for a 2nd and a B prospect.

This coming year at the deadline, if he and his expriring contract are not traded, that's malpractice. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Seeler and Laughton.

It's a rebuild.

I won’t lie to ya…you and anyone else who believes keeping Seeler and Laughton was for this year’s playoffs is just wrong. 

I would’ve been very happy if both were traded but not for peanuts, i.e. not a 2R pick. These 2 players probably more than any others on the roster play the game exactly how Tortorella wants the Flyers to play. Knock that, say Tortorella’s an idiot etc. or that his vision (along with Jones and Briere’s) will never produce a championship. But that would be speculation. Not right not wrong just an opinion.

Me I don’t have an opinion about the direction Briere’s going. I like it, I hope it works but only time will tell. 

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

8 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Me I don’t have an opinion about the direction Briere’s going. I like it, I hope it works but only time will tell. 

Your opinion was expressed immediately following your insistence that you don't have an opinion.  :5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

They kept Laughton and Seeler exactly because they are the types of player that Tortorella likes.

Tortorella has also coached a team to one playoff round win in 10 years.

We'll see how it goes.

:hocky:

• Haha 1
  • Good Post 1