Trading Laughton Off-Season: Is It the Sign of a "Real" Rebuild?

Greetings:

I get a kick (occasionally) out of hearing the PHLY crew that drops videos on YouTube.  By themselves, they're OK, but when Charlie O'Connor is on, their banter is reasoned.

In their latest gig, they asked a question: Who might get traded among the non-expiring contracts this off-season?  The first name mentioned was Front.  In essence, he might not be out of Torts' doghouse, making him expendable.  Next on the list was Farabee.  Yes, he had a "career" season, but he only scored one goal out of the last 19 games (I think), leaving a bad impression on management.  Last but not least, the three mentioned Laughton.  Their reasoning was that he became expendable with Hathaway and Poehling on board, and it was time to give other players a roster slot to become the future Laughtons. 

But another reason--and this is a bit more "cerebral," was that it pitted player quality versus the importance of "maintaining the locker room culture." (my paraphrase).  A rebuild requires a better corps of players.  Yes, Laughts is important to the culture, but as we saw at the end of the season, culture doesn't necessarily win games.

For those here who feel the management isn't really in a true "rebuild" mode, this was thought-provoking.  I would probably agree with their sentiment.  

Howie

Edited by Howie58
  • Like 1

• Howie58 changed the title to Trading Laughton Off-Season: Is It the Sign of a "Real" Rebuild?
41 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

Next on the list was Farabee. 

I'm glad these guys aren't in charge :D Seriously, making a move on a player signed for four more years because they were "disappointing" when the entire team disappeared is peak Flyer fan.

I can see them buying out Atkinson and Johansen (or they should).

I'd be somewhat surprised to see other guys moved - pending "the right deal." I think they are happy with where they are and will look to add to this group.

For me, they still don't really "need" anybody over the age of 25.

• Like 3

@Howie58 @radoran

Bill Matz is pretty funny and I find him likeable, he'd be a delightful addition to our forum.

He's pretty typical Flyers fan with how hot and cold he runs on any topic on any day.

I do appreciate his passion for the team and when he puts on the "fan" hat he's at his best.

Charlie O is who brings credibility to that group. He's been my favorite team writer for a few years now. He's well prepared, he asks some good questions in pressers and I think has the trust of the current management group. 

He relies on analytics to support his opinions and that's fine with me, it's not all he uses though. 

I'm not sure what else needs done to signal rebuild, to be honest. The roster has turned over by nearly 80% since the bubble. 

Bottoming out hasn't happened deliberately, but I'd say earning the 5th pick and then the 7th pick was the organic result of some terrible hockey. 

The team needs more guys like Kyle Conner, Artemi Panerin and Josh Morrissey. 

Edited by mojo1917
  • Good Post 1

There is clearly some truth to the value of Laughton in their assessment.  You've got a Poehling (who probably has more upside offensively) and Hathaway gets under the nerves of opponents.  From that vantage, Laughts' value as a committed "Swiss Knife" may or may not be what it was a few years ago.

There are times I wonder if Laughts is kept on board to show that a Flyers' first-rounder can actually pan out.  It seems rare.  I agree with @mojo1917 about the PHLY staff.  Matz is funny.  The woman (I think her name is Karen) is generally very quiet, but her take often mixes sarcasm with a knife blade.    

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

There are times I wonder if Laughts is kept on board to show that a Flyers' first-rounder can actually pan out. 

Two of the three "leadership" guys just happen to be Holmgren draft picks. They're also the last Holmgren picks on the roster.

"BEEKS - GET BACK IN THERE AND WIN THE TRADES!"

🤔

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, radoran said:

Two of the three "leadership" guys just happen to be Holmgren draft picks. They're also the last Holmgren picks on the roster.

"BEEKS - GET BACK IN THERE AND WIN THE TRADES!"

🤔

Sell-Mortimer

• Haha 2

If a team offers a first round pick for Laughton, (especially if it's a top 15 pick), I'd take the deal and run.. if I'm Briere. I don't care if this isn't a particularly deep draft.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, FD19372 said:

If a team offers a first round pick for Laughton, (especially if it's a top 15 pick), I'd take the deal and run.. if I'm Briere. I don't care if this isn't a particularly deep draft.

I think the only team that would value Laughton as worth a 1st rounder is the team he is already on.

Happy to be proven wrong.

• Like 2
  • Good Post 1

49 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I think the only team that would value Laughton as worth a 1st rounder is the team he is already on.

Happy to be proven wrong.

In the offseason you may be right.

As the trade deadline approaches, it just might go up.

I don't think any of that matters. He's going to be a lifetime Flyer and be in the Hall of Fame when he retires (if not sooner).

If they didn't have Gritty, he'd be the mascot.

:hocky:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, radoran said:

I'm glad these guys aren't in charge :D Seriously, making a move on a player signed for four more years because they were "disappointing" when the entire team disappeared is peak Flyer fan.

I can see them buying out Atkinson and Johansen (or they should).

I'd be somewhat surprised to see other guys moved - pending "the right deal." I think they are happy with where they are and will look to add to this group.

For me, they still don't really "need" anybody over the age of 25.

Torts seemed to imply as much in his PC. He referenced the fact that the mindset on moving players pertains more to their overall role and if they fit in the plan and scheme, more so than if they have off years or under produced in a given season...which is the right mindset IMO.

Perfect example is Foerster...he had quite a dry spell of scoring for a stretch, but since he plays a 200ft game and was effective in other areas and did as he was asked, he never really rode the bench...

the problem is that they missed their window on value for Laughton...it's always better to trade a player a year early rather than a year late...

Edited by flyerdog
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, flyerdog said:

it's always better to trade a player a year early rather than a year late...

Andy Reid, is that you?

I don't all the way disagree with what you typed- just wanted to make that joke.

I think you're right about selling at the peak value; I think maybe those carrots are cooked. 

But the window for Laughton being moved should still be open, he is an expiring contract and has a game that a contender may want at the deadline next season.

If the Fedotov signing is any indication, it could be the team is looking to scrape the bottom of the barrel for upcoming season. Unless  82 comes out and shoves Ersson back to 1B. 

Maybe the return isn't as spectacular, but his cap hit, game, and FA status may make him a desirable trade target in 24/25.

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

Andy Reid, is that you?

I don't all the way disagree with what you typed- just wanted to make that joke.

I think you're right about selling at the peak value; I think maybe those carrots are cooked. 

But the window for Laughton being moved should still be open, he is an expiring contract and has a game that a contender may want at the deadline next season.

If the Fedotov signing is any indication, it could be the team is looking to scrape the bottom of the barrel for upcoming season. Unless  82 comes out and shoves Ersson back to 1B. 

Maybe the return isn't as spectacular, but his cap hit, game, and FA status may make him a desirable trade target in 24/25.

I think Sarge has a lot of value on a team with serious Cup ambitions.

I would be happy with say a 2nd and prospect for him.

I would rather make that move in the offseason or draft.

Come next season's deadline if he is on the team they will make the same damn excuse they already made for keeping him.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

But the window for Laughton being moved should still be open

The window was never open. It was nailed shut, boarded over, and covered in stucco.

19 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Come next season's deadline if he is on the team they will make the same damn excuse they already made for keeping him.

He's not going anywhere, ever. He's a lifetime Flyer.

They're going to put his statue where Kate Smith used to be. :hocky:

• Haha 2

Just now, radoran said:

The window was never open. It was nailed shut, boarded over, and covered in stucco.

He's not going anywhere, ever. He's a lifetime Flyer.

They're going to put his statue where Kate Smith used to be. :hocky:

Yeah can't deny that.

9 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

Andy Reid, is that you?

Not Andy Reid, Bill Belichick! 

• Like 1

To answer the thread's title question I'd say trading Konecny means a more thorough rebuild is underway. I never thought they'd consider trading him. He's the heartbeat and the energizer for the Flyers. But after the way the season ended maybe Jones/Briere are re-thinking their strategy. Trading TK is the Flyers admitting "building a Cup contender will take longer than we thought."

And then I watched Briere's exit presser.... never mind. They're not re-thinking anything...Laughton is a Flyers Lifer, TK too. I doubt Briere makes any hockey trades this summer. Maybe a buyout or a mercy trade for Atkinson...maybe Ristolainen gets dumped somehow somewhere...but no hockey trades. Briere sounds perfectly content to let things roll the way they are now going into next season. 

25 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

To answer the thread's title question I'd say trading Konecny means a more thorough rebuild is underway. I never thought they'd consider trading him. He's the heartbeat and the energizer for the Flyers. But after the way the season ended maybe Jones/Briere are re-thinking their strategy. Trading TK is the Flyers admitting "building a Cup contender will take longer than we thought."

And then I watched Briere's exit presser.... never mind. They're not re-thinking anything...Laughton is a Flyers Lifer, TK too. I doubt Briere makes any hockey trades this summer. Maybe a buyout or a mercy trade for Atkinson...maybe Ristolainen gets dumped somehow somewhere...but no hockey trades. Briere sounds perfectly content to let things roll the way they are now going into next season. 

I'm an advocate of tearing the thing back to the studs and rebuilding, but I also get the idea that you have to have some sort of structure in place when you're bringing in players. A lot of times, you just can't have someone be fed to the wolves and hope they can fend for themselves. 

After watching the press conference, what I came away with is that they haven't decided what's next with regards to the rebuild. They gave the generic answers that I expected (i.e. "nobody expected this from us", "we need to add more talent", "not at a point to give up young talent for veterans", etc....They heaped praise on a few people and then just did the typical lip service non-playoff teams give. 

To me, everything depends on what happens at the draft. That's going to be the epicenter of their off-season plans. They've given no real morsels on what they plan on doing at the draft. Cap management is going to have to be a must though. They need to lose some salary, so I think that might get some priority there. For instance, if they move Atkinson and say they have to take on a bad contract, are they willing to take on a lesser deal, but with more years? That's the type of deal I'm expecting Briere to make. 

• Like 2

They need to buy out Johansen and Atkinson. That's the correct move in this rebuild.

Opens up roster space, not much cap pain over two years that don't matter anyway.

Building for Michkov.

16 hours ago, radoran said:

They need to buy out Johansen and Atkinson.

Their contracts are done at the end of next season, yes?

I think they buy out Atkinson but just let Johnasen whither away not playing for Lehigh Valley or on LTIR. 

I don't think Johansen can be bought out while he is "injured". Maybe he's the guy they play hardball with and force him to get a physical for that purpose.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I think they buy out Atkinson but just let Johnasen whither away not playing for Lehigh Valley or on LTIR. 

I don't think Johansen can be bought out while he is "injured".

Point.

They may not do it, as they seem to be saying next season will be what everyone thought this season would be all about.

On 4/22/2024 at 7:33 AM, Howie58 said:

and it was time to give other players a roster slot to become the future Laughtons

Future Laughtons? The one we have presently is bad enough. This is like clearing the way for the future Holmgrens

• Haha 1

On 4/22/2024 at 2:08 PM, radoran said:

In the offseason you may be right.

As the trade deadline approaches, it just might go up.

I don't think any of that matters. He's going to be a lifetime Flyer and be in the Hall of Fame when he retires (if not sooner).

If they didn't have Gritty, he'd be the mascot.

:hocky:

I’m pretty confident he’ll be GM and turn the franchise around…..after rebuilding it