Game 6 is a must win

Guest trevluk

I know I will get blasted for this but I think game 6 is our only chance to win this series. I am already chalking up game 5 as a loss. Pittsburgh goes into game 5 in their barn with a HUGE confidence boost and all the momentum now. Game 4 drained every last bit of momentum from the Flyers. The Pens will also most likely have Martin back as well as Adams and Neal, their top playoff performer before tonight. On top of that Bryz and Bob will go into game 5 with zero confidence after getting lit up for 5 goals a piece. It is completely clear that we got pre-March Bryz for these playoffs and he is "lost in the woods" again and proving to be the worst 51 million dollars anyone has ever spent. He will get lit up again on friday night for another loss, book it. Flyers must win game 6 in Philly. If it goes to game 7, we lose and become a part of history again, but this time on the pathetic loser side.

@trevluk

I think the Flyers are embarrassed by that loss. Also, don't discount the fact that the Flyers haven't lost a meaningful game in that stadium of theirs.

Everyone seems to be panicking because of this awful game. It was awful, but would you rather be Pittsburgh or Philly right now?

If the Flyers put an effort like that together again then they don't deserve to even be in the playoffs. If they put their effort together, they should beat the Penguins. Hopefully the refs will stay out of it.

@trevluk As we talked about last night, I agree with you that this is going to go to game 6.

To be honest, even with Quick in the net, that game would have been just like game #3 or #4 except the Pens would have had 8. I do believe the Flyers came ready to play having scored the 1st goal rather quick and then coming back to take the lead again but the let down from Bryz and the lack of team D doomed them from about 10 minutes in the first through the rest of the game. The Pens are too good of a team to get swept out of the playoffs by an extremely young team with a goalie that is lost in the woods & scared of bears.

Once the penalties started in the second, the Flyers rolled over and stopped skating. Whether they lost 4-3 or 20-3 it doesn't matter. A loss is a loss and they will regroup today.

Moving forward, as much as I don't want to believe, I feel game #5 will be a much closer game but I do think the Pens take the game again. Then Sunday, game #6 is a must win for the Flyers on home ice.

This was a great lesson for everyone on the team, both rookies and veterans alike. Should the Flyers move on in the playoffs, I highly doubt you see a let down anywhere near this magnitude again.

One thing that I noticed is that the Pens made it a priority not to get caught up in 'after the play stuff'. When the skill of both teams is so even the intangibles come into play. There were a few times that the Pens goated the Flyers into taking cheap shots after the play. The less disciplined the Flyers are the worse it's going to be for them moving forward. Flyers thrive (in fact live or die) on the fore check. That gets them going and makes things happen. If they can't do that because they are continuously on the PK, they have very little chance of winning.

Lastly, Zac Rinaldo should not touch the ice again this series. I'm not saying that he deserved all of his penalties but he is a marked man. He can't play his game (or any game) at this point. Bring up Harry Z and put him on the line with Wellwood. Play dump and chance against this team and use the speed advantage against them. The Pens have shown no answer to Wellwoods speed. Adding Harry Z to the lineup will double that problem for the Pens and at the same time, reduce the number of penalties against the Flyers.

Zac Rinaldo Penalties:

Game 1: 2m - Cross Checking

Game 2: 2m - Hooking

Game 3: 16m - Roughing, Cross Checking, Unsportsmanlike, Misconduct

Game 4: 16m - Interference, Cross Checking, Roughing, Unsportsmanlike, Misconduct

Total: 40 minutes

Zac Rinaldo - Total On Ice Time

Game 1: 6:23

Game 2: 4:18

Game 3: 5:24

Game 4: 3:39

Total = 19:44 ; Avg = 4:56 He has twice the penalty minutes vs time on the ice.

Zac Rinaldo - Plus / Minus

Game 1: -1

Game 2: Even

Game 3: -1

Game 4: Even

Total = -2

"Lastly, Zac Rinaldo should not touch the ice again this series. I'm not saying that he deserved all of his penalties but he is a marked man. He can't play his game (or any game) at this point. Bring up Harry Z and put him on the line with Wellwood. Play dump and chance against this team and use the speed advantage against them. The Pens have shown no answer to Wellwoods speed. Adding Harry Z to the lineup will double that problem for the Pens and at the same time, reduce the number of penalties against the Flyers."

That might not be a bad idea, adding a little more speed to go against a very shaky Pens defense. The Flyers have to be more disciplined in game 5 and get back to playing a hard, forechecking game and hope for half-decent goaltending.

Lastly, Zac Rinaldo should not touch the ice again this series. I'm not saying that he deserved all of his penalties but he is a marked man. He can't play his game (or any game) at this point. Bring up Harry Z and put him on the line with Wellwood. Play dump and chance against this team and use the speed advantage against them. The Pens have shown no answer to Wellwoods speed. Adding Harry Z to the lineup will double that problem for the Pens and at the same time, reduce the number of penalties against the Flyers.

Good post with good points Digity. I agree with above quote. Rinaldo should probably be done for the season and maybe as a Flyer if you ask me. As you said, he is a marked man by the refs in the league now and and will not shake his reputation while wearing a Flyer uniform thanks to the "Broad Street Bully" stigma that is attached to our logo. Carcillo had the same problem. I much prefer Wellwood anyhow.

I know my post was pretty negative but the Flyers have been breaking my heart since 1980, not to mention that after the depressing Flyer loss my beer league team took a similar beating last night with a particularly poor performance by me so I was in a pretty negative space when I wrote it. :angry: Still, I stand by my prediction that this goes 6 games and next Sunday in Philly is a must win or we write another chapter of heart break and embarrassment in Philly sports history.

How on Earth was Rinaldo +/- EVEN in a game the Flyers lost 10-3??? Four PPG (ridiculous, especially that 2nd period troika), still leaves SIX that count in +/-.

Only on ice for 4 minutes.....pretty easy to have been on the bench when the goals were scored, even when there were 10 of them

Flyers thrive (in fact live or die) on the fore check. That gets them going and makes things happen. If they can't do that because they are continuously on the PK, they have very little chance of winning.

So true. And so completely the opposite of what we [tried to do] did last night. We didn't even attempt to get a forecheck going, even in the 1st when the game was still a game. We were going for these dumb, low-percentage shots, like kids in a bantam league who know they have a pigeon in net. Fleury has sucked and he deserved to be treated that way, so fine. But when the Pens came back to tie it we should've regrouped right then. I was hoping Lavy would use his famous TO at that point, not wait till 5 goals were in.

Whatever - I rambled, lost track. I meant to say - Great post Digi - and the text I highlighted IS THE FLYERS' GAME. It's Lavy's "system" for all you systems freaks out there. It's puck-possession but it all starts with a 2-man, transitioning to 3-man forecheck.

We better get back to THAT kind of game tomorrow night. Dump the puck deep, get on your horse and go after it.

Take the Shortest Route to the Puck and Arrive in ILL HUMOR!

I know I will get blasted for this but I think game 6 is our only chance to win this series. I am already chalking up game 5 as a loss. Pittsburgh goes into game 5 in their barn with a HUGE confidence boost and all the momentum now. Game 4 drained every last bit of momentum from the Flyers. The Pens will also most likely have Martin back as well as Adams and Neal, their top playoff performer before tonight. On top of that Bryz and Bob will go into game 5 with zero confidence after getting lit up for 5 goals a piece. It is completely clear that we got pre-March Bryz for these playoffs and he is "lost in the woods" again and proving to be the worst 51 million dollars anyone has ever spent. He will get lit up again on friday night for another loss, book it. Flyers must win game 6 in Philly. If it goes to game 7, we lose and become a part of history again, but this time on the pathetic loser side.

I agree I think we wrap this up in Game 6, I would be surprised if we won Game 5 in Pitt with all our injuries.

I don't disagree. We need to win on Sunday. But what burns me up most about losing this series, if we do lose it, is that Pittsburgh will be joining the club of teams that have come back from 3 games down to win a series. Can't we just do one thing without Pissburgh matching us, or doing us one better??? Now we have to add a 4th team to that noteable, historic, and maybe even elite group and it's the Penguins? And because they beat us -- not any other team -- but they got in at the expense of the Flyers! That's hard to stomach. Really hard.

sorry to be negative, i just think were f*%&ed. we had our chance to pound them in game 4 while they were without neal and while fleury was fragile, and we came out completely flat. Bryz is playing like crap, and the Pens are getting an odd man rush every other shift with all the mistakes were making. grossman is not going to play again in this series, and fleury is now starting to play like his old self with lots of confidence. get ready to be the 4th NHL team to blow a 3-0 lead.

• Like 1

I don't disagree. We need to win on Sunday. But what burns me up most about losing this series, if we do lose it, is that Pittsburgh will be joining the club of teams that have come back from 3 games down to win a series. Can't we just do one thing without Pissburgh matching us, or doing us one better??? Now we have to add a 4th team to that noteable, historic, and maybe even elite group and it's the Penguins? And because they beat us -- not any other team -- but they got in at the expense of the Flyers! That's hard to stomach. Really hard.

No doubt, but it would probably be fitting that Philly would own one of the most embarrassing and disgraceful records in all of sports.