50 Million Eh?

Guest AMMOnation

the goals tonight just killed the skaters.

the clarkson goal... damn

@Green Man 9 more years of this guy playing like he has will waste the talent assembled.

he was not what most people were expecting, he was no where near as good as he needed to be when it counted.

sorry calling it like i see it, year one is in the books and he is not a value at 1/10 of his salary.

if we can buy him out , we should. that clarkson goal is the beginning of a potentially long and contentious relationship with this fan base.

Edited by mojo1917

Bryz should have made every save.......that he missed because he was out of position, losing his focus, daydreaming, or rebounding it into his net off an opposing player. I really don't get why we can't hold him accountable for his crappy play.

but a sub .900 goalie belongs in the minors, not starting in the SC playoffs.

From game 5 of the pittsburgh series through tonight he had a .908 save percentage, 197 saves on 217 shots. I'm not going to condemn him for this series. We couldn't manage to get into the ****** zone for half the 3rd period. That ain't Bryz's fault. We scored one goal and that was that.

Edited by hexie27

Bryzgalov needed the Flyers to score at least four goals every single game. He didn't steal a single game, and managed to deflate his team too many times.

I wanted to welcome the guy as the next best Thing, but he just refused to let me.

I think you guys are looking for a scapgoat and overlooking the fact the team had it's entire ass kicked the last 5 games.

The team could not adjust to a 1-2-2 trap when NJ took a lead, no success in transition and no answer for the Devils strong forecheck.

Bryz was solid enough most of the series, enough with the he should have made every save BS, it sounds like amateur hour.

The constant blame the goalie syndrome around here is shortsighted, look at the big picture in this series and it wasn't the goalie who was the problem.

You want to look at the big picture, go back a year ago when the Flyers got knocked out by the Bruins and Snider proclaimed that they going to put an end to the goaltending problems and get an elite goalie. Enter Bryzgalov and his insane 9 year, $51 million dollar contract given by Snider without Ed or Holmgren taking the time to find out why Anaheim put him on waivers or why Phoenix was more than happy not to resign him. All year long with the exception of March Bryzgalov didn't give his teammates the confidence that elite goalies like Quick, Lundqvist or even Brodeur gives their teams. The Flyers on most nights had to put up 4 or 5 goals to win games because they weren't sure what Bryzgalov would do. Of course Bryzgalov is going to be the scapegoat because he's being paid to be an ELITE GOALIE but isn't. In the first round, Fleury was worse than Bryzgalov so that's saying a lot. He's a strange guy who I don't think realizes the pressure in playing in a hockey city like Philly. If there is a buyout clause in the new cba that doesn't count against the cap then Snider has to strongly consider getting rid of Bryzgalov.

Yea, you guys are right, they should have won every game 1-0.

But don't let me get in the way of your circle jerk of Bryz hate, flame on -

Thanks, and we will try not to get in the way of your blowing Bryz after another poor game.

• Like 1

@GreenMan

It's the regular season and playoffs that make me dislike Bryz. He sucked. Sure he had help some of the time, but that doesn't excuse plays like putting the puck in your own net, or misaligning on unscreened shots from the point.

He's not a scapegoat, he's an actual problem.

From game 5 of the pittsburgh series through tonight he had a .921 save percentage, 197 saves on 217 shots. I'm not going to condemn him for this series. We couldn't manage to get into the ****** zone for half the 3rd period. That ain't Bryz's fault. We scored one goal and that was that.

1. 197 saves on 217 shots is a .908sv%, not .921.

2. there wasn't a single for-real scoring chance on him tonight. each of the goals he allowed were very stoppable. the flyers D did a great job of shutting down all cross-ice passing in the slot, got in front of the few one-timers that managed to get to the shooter, and shut down shooting lanes from the dots and on in. they allowed a fair number of pucks to get to the net, but everything came from the outside. what do they get in return for customizing their coverage to play to their goalie's "strengths"? two very weak goals from the blueline and one own goal that will be on the top-10 goalie bloopers reel for years. you almost never want to expect to win a game 1-0, but the fact of the matter is the shutout was there for bryzgalov to take, if only he wasn't fùcking terrible.

3. my biggest problem: i'm ok with seeing this season as a learning experience for the majority of this very young roster. i can tell myself that this has been an excellent trial by fire for young guys like couturier, schenn, simmonds, voracek, wellwood, gustafsson, rinaldo, read, JVR. they can take what they've learned and give the flyers that much more effective an effort next season. not so with a 31 yearold goalie who has been in the league 7 years. if he doesn't know how to do it now, he's never gonna.

coming up short for all those kids, i kind of shrug and say take the education and build on it going forward. coming up short for the big money vet goalie, i kind of shrug and say holy crap you fùcking suck, you gigantic piece of cap-eating shít. 3rd year running he has been absolutely brutal in playoffs. the mediocre-at-best nonsense you saw this spring is as much as he's capable of giving, and we all ought to hope and pray the flyers' brass bites the bullet and keeps him out of a flyers uniform going forward.

Edited by aziz
  • Like 1

@aziz

So Aziz, Now that we all know how you feel about Bryz, do you see Bob getting 20 starts next year? B)

lol, it's my destiny to never live anything down, huh?

honestly, i have no fricking idea anymore. i really hope brygalov is bought out, but really, bob was anything but impressive this season. then again, he was left on the bench to rot, so regression should be expected. does that mean he gets a bigger chance next season? or has too much damage been done there? if bryzgalov is cut loose, do they try to replace him, or do they look for someone to back bob up for a full season test run? if bryzgalov sticks around, do they decide to run a platoon, or do they think part of the "problem" was too much in-and-out of the lineup and lean more heavily on him?

the irony is obvious, but i can't get over it: by deciding to end the goalie chaos once and for all, mr ed has made it worse than it has ever been.

Edited by aziz

@aziz

That was an opportune moment. I couldn't resist.

I can't wait to hear Mr Snider's comments in a day or so. I really don't think they will make any goalie changes for next season, unfortunately. Unless some really tempting, one time only, CBA payout exists that is too good to not partake in. I think they will have Bob and Bryz have an all out competition to see who earns the #1 spot. Well we have lots of time to discuss in the summer. :)

@aziz I had the same thought process....even going two rounds was a nice learning experience for the kids....a lot of them were just getting their feet wet. WIth that many rookies on the roster, the learning curve is a realistic obstacle.

The one thing I don't get about Bryz, his inherant lack of knowing where he is in the net. He can't track the puck at all, never seems to really know where it's at...espcially behind the net coming out. He really, really fails when it comes to centering himself in net, when he resets for a shot, he always seems to set up shop out of position. Don't even want to talk about his puck handling skils, or lack thereof. I don't understand why Lavi didn't straight up forbid him to handle the puck unless he absolutley has to.

A goalie who does not know how to automatically re-positon himself is a like a secreatry not knowing the home row keys...it's a basic fundamental.

i think part of his problem is he doesn't know how to use his edges. if you watch him moving around the net, it's all shuffling, he never turns his skate. which means his movements are a series of jerky little lunges in the direction he needs to go. it's especially apparent when the puck switches sides and bryzgalov has to go from one side to the other. if you have to push-push-push your way across...well, we all saw how well he tracked cross ice plays.

crazy to me that a guy can get to the NHL with these serious holes in his fundamental game. these are things bantam goalie coaches make kids do for hours.

I think you guys are looking for a scapgoat and overlooking the fact the team had it's entire ass kicked the last 5 games.

The team could not adjust to a 1-2-2 trap when NJ took a lead, no success in transition and no answer for the Devils strong forecheck.

Bryz was solid enough most of the series, enough with the he should have made every save BS, it sounds like amateur hour.

The constant blame the goalie syndrome around here is shortsighted, look at the big picture in this series and it wasn't the goalie who was the problem.

The rookies for the most part, looked like rookies. That was a good experience they can learn from. It appears we need some defencemen that actually play defence. Carle and Kubina are both gone. Timonen has one year left, but will only earn 3 million. He's moveable at that. Jagr looks like he's done. Voracek, Simmonds, Giroux etc all get another year under their belt.

Then we come to Bryz. One year into a mammoth 9 year $51 million dollar contract where he showed most of the year he isn't even NHL calibre. Then he showed it again in the playoffs. The team won the first round IN SPITE of his horrid play. He was ranked 18th in a 16 team playoff! So we go through the next round against a trap team that doesn't play firewagon hockey. You'd think he'd move up statistically right? Well, he didn't. So theres now 5 teams left and our goalie is ranked 18th. Ya, that'll get you far. The guy is a bum. I said it all year, and he just put the exclamation mark on it last night.

And if you want to blame it on not scoring, we have the top 2 scorers in the playoffs right now.

Why pay this guy $51mm to go back to Russia to get paid again? F that noise! I say here's to the most expensive back-up in league history. Let him rot on the bench and I bet after a year of that he'll retire and willingly go back to the KHL.

Side note, the entire team forgot to show-up for most of this series.