FLYERS SIGN WEBER TO MASSIVE OFFER SHEET

Guest jkearse123

@flyercanuck

@flyerrod

Yeah I hear you both but sooner or later screwing other GM's will come back to bite you. They're not all gonna just take it.

As for all the other comments here, some have pointed out pretty good points... One being will the NHL approve such a loaded contract?

As for those saying Weber is the best defenseman in the league, and some even saying of all time... He's a great defensive defenseman in today's game. He would clearly be a great signing for your team. I dunno about if all time, that has to be proven a long ways from now. That contract is a huge term as well... I love how Weber plays the game, but I wouldn't make the offer your GM has made. He's not a Crosby, Parise, Toews, or Stamkos. He's a solid physical defenseman absolutely... But just like I said about Suter... This is just crazy talk. I wouldn't pay this for Letang and I'd rather have Letang than Weber, but that's my value system not everyone's obviously.

@Polaris922

2012-13: $10 million signing bonus, $2 million base salary

2013-14: $10 million signing bonus, $2 million base salary

2014-15: $5 million signing bonus, $6 million base salary

2015-16: $9 million base salary

2016-17: $9 million base salary

2017-18: $9 million base salary

2018-19: $9 million base salary

2019-20: $9 million base salary

2020-21: $8 million base salary

2021-22: $6 million base salary

2022-23: $2 million base salary

2023-24: $1 million base salary

2024-25: $1 million base salary

Numbers are different, but the structure is basically the same. If they were to void this deal, they'd have a hard time not voiding Parise's and Suter's, as well. It's fewer year's than Ilya's second deal, and it ends when Weber is younger. Don't really see much the NHL could use to void it.

I wouldn't pay this for Letang and I'd rather have Letang than Weber, but that's my value system not everyone's obviously.

You can't be serious.

Letang is a good player, but he might not even be in my top 5 of d-men in the NHL right now.

Weber is numero uno. And I bet most GM's in the NHL feel the exact same way.

• Like 4

@Polaris922

2012-13: $10 million signing bonus, $2 million base salary

2013-14: $10 million signing bonus, $2 million base salary

2014-15: $5 million signing bonus, $6 million base salary

2015-16: $9 million base salary

2016-17: $9 million base salary

2017-18: $9 million base salary

2018-19: $9 million base salary

2019-20: $9 million base salary

2020-21: $8 million base salary

2021-22: $6 million base salary

2022-23: $2 million base salary

2023-24: $1 million base salary

2024-25: $1 million base salary

Numbers are different, but the structure is basically the same. If they were to void this deal, they'd have a hard time not voiding Parise's and Suter's, as well. It's fewer year's than Ilya's second deal, and it ends when Weber is younger. Don't really see much the NHL could use to void it.

Difference is those were UNRESTRICTED free agents. I don't know if it will matter, I'm just interested to see if the league tries to protect the smaller market in an RFA situation.

You can't be serious.

Letang is a good player, but he might not even be in my top 5 of d-men in the NHL right now.

Weber is numero uno. And I bet most GM's in the NHL feel the exact same way.

Actually I'm quite serious. His loss has a greater impact on the Pens than Crosby or Malkin in terms of win/loss. And if he's not in your top 5 you probably look solely at defensive stability and not as much value in offensive abilities. Weber is definitely top dog on the physical or defensive angle, I don't argue that, but the role of the defenseman was rewritten decades ago. There is room and need for both.

I love Weber, I just don't know that he's worth that kind of cash as a purely defensive defenseman. There are a lot of unheralded defense first guys not that far behind him getting paid WAY less.

Of course... He did have 10 PP goals... So he's a monster there for you. I dunno... That's just more than I'd pay for any D in the game currently.

Edited by Polaris922

@Polaris922

Purely defensive? Weber had 19 goals and 49 points last season, one fewer than Letang's best offensive year (Though Letang was on a much better pace last season)

In the last 4 years, Wever has put up point totals of 53 - 43 - 48 - 49. Overall he ranked 9 -17 - 10 - 6 in points by a defenseman. I don't get how that doesn't qualify him as at least an excellent two way defenseman.

The odds of Crosby playing a full career just went from 50 to 40 with this signing. Playing Weber every time he steps on the ice, for all regular season, pre-season, playoffs will inevitably take it's toll on Sid. Only a matter of time till he smashs that mush head for good.

@flyercanuck

@flyerrod

Yeah I hear you both but sooner or later screwing other GM's will come back to bite you. They're not all gonna just take it.

As for all the other comments here, some have pointed out pretty good points... One being will the NHL approve such a loaded contract?

As for those saying Weber is the best defenseman in the league, and some even saying of all time... He's a great defensive defenseman in today's game. He would clearly be a great signing for your team. I dunno about if all time, that has to be proven a long ways from now. That contract is a huge term as well... I love how Weber plays the game, but I wouldn't make the offer your GM has made. He's not a Crosby, Parise, Toews, or Stamkos. He's a solid physical defenseman absolutely... But just like I said about Suter... This is just crazy talk. I wouldn't pay this for Letang and I'd rather have Letang than Weber, but that's my value system not everyone's obviously.

Really a "defensive defenseman" that scored 19 goals last year huh?

Lehtang barely scored half of that!

Well lets just say your definition and mine aren't the same!!!!!

Hell our offensive defenseman can't even score half that total...

Edited by OccamsRazor

The odds of Crosby playing a full career just went from 50 to 40 with this signing. Playing Weber every time he steps on the ice, for all regular season, pre-season, playoffs will inevitably take it's toll on Sid. Only a matter of time till he smashs that mush head for good.

Good point and Coots is already in Malkin's head and taken him out the equation and Staal is no where to be found anymore...

...someone will land Crosby as a depends endorsement next year i'm sure...

@flyercanuck

@flyerrod

Huh? You'd raher have Letang than Weber? LMAO! I thought you were serious there for a second.

And who's saying Weber is the best of alltime? I haven't heard anyone say that. I'd say he's the best there is right now. And you make it sound like he's all D. The guy has a cannon of a shot. He's put up better numbers than Letang over his career. And he doesn't get all those bonus points playing with Crosby and Malkin on the pp. Letang is a good defenceman,,don't get me wrong. But Weber is a great one.

@OccamsRazor How do you think Sid feels about playing Weber every minute he steps on the ice for Pens vs Flyers? Probably about 8 or 9 times a year (more if they play in the playoffs)...ha ha...he can't be to happy at all!

I can see Crysby getting a case of the Philly flu in some games this season....or maybe mysterious concussion symptoms before game time...i also assume they would bestow him with the Captaincy upon arrival to squash all the talk before hand?????

@flyercanuck Agreed, Weber is just superior to Letang in every way. Letang has put up more than 42 points only once. Weber has done it every year for the last 4. Weber is already outscoring Letang...imagine if he had Crosby, Malkin, Stall etc to work with?? Letang is no where near the intimidating force Weber is on the ice....in a fight, Weber would kick his ass.

Huh? You'd raher have Letang than Weber? LMAO! I thought you were serious there for a second.

And who's saying Weber is the best of alltime? I haven't heard anyone say that. I'd say he's the best there is right now. And you make it sound like he's all D. The guy has a cannon of a shot. He's put up better numbers than Letang over his career. And he doesn't get all those bonus points playing with Crosby and Malkin on the pp. Letang is a good defenceman,,don't get me wrong. But Weber is a great one.

Webber's best season he scored 23 goals not to shabby for a "defensive defenseman" like Polaris claims...Lehtang's best season is 10!!!!!

HAHAHAHA!

He'll never admit it but you he (Polaris) is praying Nashville matches that offer...

...either way i believe Weber after seeing them let his defensive partner go has had enough in Nashville.

the more I think about it, I can't see the Preds matching. If they match and there is a lockout, the franchise would collapse. There is no way they could pay out $26 million with ZERO revenue stream. (at least from what their financial evaluation seems to be). They have always run the team with a serious dose of prudence....never spashing the cash.

and if a financial institution did loan them the money....the interest rate would be double digits considering the chance of a lockout.

the more I think about it, I can't see the Preds matching. If they match and there is a lockout, the franchise would collapse. There is no way they could pay out $26 million with ZERO revenue stream. (at least from what their financial evaluation seems to be). They have always run the team with a serious dose of prudence....never spashing the cash.

and if a financial institution did loan them the money....the interest rate would be double digits considering the chance of a lockout.

In hind sight i guess they should have give Weber the 7mill over 3 years instead of arbitration...

...would have saved them some of the heartache they are going through today...

...they screwed the pooch on that one