Is Ryan going to be a Flyer?

just a question, but what are you basing that on? What is it that your gut is telling you? Just curious...

I could see him turning into those one hit wonders. I like his speed and vision but just something about him not making the NHL until he was 25, his size, and if i remember correctly his production dropped off towards the end of the year/playoffs. I'm a fan for what he's accomplished and i certainly hope he keeps up the production, but I just have a gut feeling he'll be one of those Druce type one and done players :(

• Like 1

I could see him turning into those one hit wonders. I like his speed and vision but just something about him not making the NHL until he was 25, his size, and if i remember correctly his production dropped off towards the end of the year/playoffs. I'm a fan for what he's accomplished and i certainly hope he keeps up the production, but I just have a gut feeling he'll be one of those Druce type one and done players :(

I thought the same, but March was his most productive month:

http://sports.yahoo....ivLYF?year=2011

8 goals and 12 points down the stretch (20 games) in his first year playing. 5 in 11 playoff games, too.

Not a guy to be counted out and is signed at a good cap number through 13-14.

$900K for a 20-goal scorer? Yes, please.

• Like 1

I think the Flyers should just wait on Ryan. He will be playing for the Flyers in Two years. Clarke will just talk to his dad and tell him not to sign with any teams and he can just walk into camp with a contract when his current one is done.

@xganarchy Wow, could not disagree more on Read. You can't teach speed and creativity, things Read has an abundance of. If he got tired near the end, it's prob because of the NCAA's lack of games compared to pro leagues. No athlete goes from 50 games to 100+ and does not feel the effects. I think Read scores in the mid twenties (25-27) and avoids the 2nd year jinx. As rad pointed out, one of the very best bangs for your buck in the entire league.

@radoran -

Matt Read 2012 - 79GP 24G 23A 47P / 800K

Bobby Ryan 2012 - 82GP 31G 26A 57P / 5.5M

That's a pretty massive jump in pay for 10 more points. The consistency issue moving forward for Read that Idaho brings up is a very valid one though. Ryan *has* put up 4 straight 30-35 goal seasons on a waning Ducks team.

That said, if you could add Ryan without giving away too much (hey, how bout a couple of those first rounders Homer's still hanging on to!!), he'd be a potential 40 goal scorer playing on G's wing. He's a hard nosed kid the fans would immediately go nuts over that could fill a power forward role should they let Harts go after this season.

I bet Bob Murray wants a kings ransome for him though seeing how Homer swung for the fences all off season & whiffed.

@radoran -

Matt Read 2012 - 79GP 24G 23A 47P / 800K

Bobby Ryan 2012 - 82GP 31G 26A 57P / 5.5M

That's a pretty massive jump in pay for 10 more points. The consistency issue moving forward for Read that Idaho brings up is a very valid one though. Ryan *has* put up 4 straight 30-35 goal seasons on a waning Ducks team.

That said, if you could add Ryan without giving away too much (hey, how bout a couple of those first rounders Homer's still hanging on to!!), he'd be a potential 40 goal scorer playing on G's wing. He's a hard nosed kid the fans would immediately go nuts over that could fill a power forward role should they let Harts go after this season.

I bet Bob Murray wants a kings ransome for him though seeing how Homer swung for the fences all off season & whiffed.

I think Ryan on Giroux's wing would be a Leagion of Doom style terror in the league.

I'd give up Read for that - but not much more.

Not that this is a move I think is "necessary" rightnow.

• Like 1

I think Ryan on Giroux's wing would be a Leagion of Doom style terror in the league.

I'd give up Read for that - but not much more.

Not that this is a move I think is "necessary" rightnow.

Read for Ryan is something you do in a second. Anyone that has a problem with that isn't thinking. Read is a good player but Ryan is a great player. Yes it is only 10 points difference but Ryan playing with Giroux would be unreal. That being said I just don't see the Ducks parting with Ryan for something reasonable. They want an over payment. I say just wait it out and he will be on the Flyers. Have the Ducks come to the Flyers begging when they see he doesn't even want to be there.

• Like 1

I'm not sold on Read for some reason. He had a very nice season, but for some reason I think it may have been a fluke. Sell high...

Time will tell I guess, but I disagree. You'd have to offer me a LOT to move Read. Anr I would NOT include him in a deal for Ryan...who I really have no interest in trading for anyway.

Read for Ryan is something you do in a second. Anyone that has a problem with that isn't thinking. Read is a good player but Ryan is a great player. Yes it is only 10 points difference but Ryan playing with Giroux would be unreal. That being said I just don't see the Ducks parting with Ryan for something reasonable. They want an over payment. I say just wait it out and he will be on the Flyers. Have the Ducks come to the Flyers begging when they see he doesn't even want to be there.

I'm not thinking because no way I'm doing that trade. Rad posted the numbers and there's a point about consistency, but also consider the difference in lines and roles. I dont trade a 1 year player with those numbers AND penalty kills for bobby ryan.

• Like 1

The other thing to consider here when comparing Read to Ryan....Ryan plays with Getzlaf, Perry and Selanne on the Ducks top power play. Ryan plays on the second pp and does not have anywhere near that kind of talent around him. Read would have had significantly more pts had been playing with G, which is basically the kind of first line talent Ryan had around him.

• Like 1

Read is an interesting player. Yes, he is 25, but he skates really well, plays in all situations (including PK), has a world class shot (as demonstrated at the All-Star Game) and scored 40+ points without playing on the top two lines. I really hope they don't trade him. Let's give him a chance and see what he is made of. Just think if they traded Poulin after his first year!

The other thing to consider here when comparing Read to Ryan....Ryan plays with Getzlaf, Perry and Selanne on the Ducks top power play. Ryan plays on the second pp and does not have anywhere near that kind of talent around him. Read would have had significantly more pts had been playing with G, which is basically the kind of first line talent Ryan had around him.

Exactly my thinking with the lines/roles things.

other GMs would be lining up to deal with you too.

i think that is too much for him, 2 of the three things you've offered here maybe... i think read is way more valuable because he can play in all situations, so if i'd offer him it would be matt and pick. no MAB...

bobby ryan = nice player not a necessity.

I have to disagree Mojo. I will fully admit I was wrong on Read last season but I would be surprised if he duplicates his over 20 goal season again this year.

Bobby Ryan is not only big but highly skilled. You put him on a line with Giroux and Ryan becomes a 40 goal scorer every season. I would not be suprised if he even topped 50 a couple times. To acquire a perenial 40 goal scorer (even a 30) would likely take more then Read, MAB and a first. The Ducks know that which is why they are asking for Schenn or Couts.

I would not part with either of young centers but if we could get Ryan for Read, MAB and a first I would consider that a HUGE steal for the Flyers.

• Like 1

@dynamo47

oh so ryan is like jeff carter ? scored 30 a couple of times, 45 one year, and is highly skilled... :P

the jackets got carter for voracek and a first, i'm not giving 2 roster players and a first for Ryan.

and regarding Read for me it is not just about the points , he is a good hockey player, he can play any forward position , kills penalties, has a high hockey iq, and has speed which kills and cannot be taught. the more players like Read you have on a team the better imo, i think Ryan while skilled is not as versatile as Read and i think that needs factored into the equation as well as their productivity. I'n not necessarily saying Read is Ryan's equal or better, i think Read's worth can be measured beyond the stat sheet, and I don't feel the same about Bobby Ryan.

• Like 2

Ordinarily, I would agree with you, but, Ryan is a guaranteed 30 goals minimum. We need another wing.

Okay, but at what cost?? Anaheim wants Schenn or Courturier. Sorry, Ryans 30 goals are not worth that to me. Also, Ryan is starting to sound like a whiny ******. Lets put the shoe on the other foot and say Ryan is a Flyer and grew up in SoCal and he comes out and complains about how many rumors he hears about how the Flyers are trading him all the time. I mean christ, lets look at JVR- he never whined about it at all and he also had signed a similar contract to Ryans. I don't want Ryan on this team. Not for the assets that it would cost.

Give me Perry as a UFA next season.

I'm not sold on Read for some reason. He had a very nice season, but for some reason I think it may have been a fluke. Sell high...

Late bloomer. It happens. he's proof. It's not like he had a lucky season. The guy can flat out fly. He's got a nice shot. He can play any forward position. He can play 5 0n 5, pp, pk. What's not to like? Didn't even cost us a draft pick.

Okay, but at what cost?? Anaheim wants Schenn or Courturier. Sorry, Ryans 30 goals are not worth that to me. Also, Ryan is starting to sound like a whiny ******. Lets put the shoe on the other foot and say Ryan is a Flyer and grew up in SoCal and he comes out and complains about how many rumors he hears about how the Flyers are trading him all the time. I mean christ, lets look at JVR- he never whined about it at all and he also had signed a similar contract to Ryans. I don't want Ryan on this team. Not for the assets that it would cost.

No one is suggesting that the Flyers trade Schenn or Cooter.

If homer wouldn't trade them for Weber, he certainly isn't going to do so for Ryan.

But we could really use Ryan on that top line with Giroux. He'd be a great fit.

Well that's just the thing. It would depend on the cost. But, we still do need another winger, assuming Doan signs somewhere else.

I just don't like any trade involving Read. He's one of my favorite players on the team right now (love the speed and the brains).

Nothing against Ryan. I get that you have to trade something to get something, and I know Read's contract is certainly movable. I get the desire for Ryan on Giroux's line, but I really don't think it's necessary. People talk about wanting "bulk" or whatever on Giroux's line, but you have that with Hartnell (provided he stays on his skates). They'll likely try Voracek there, but if that results in failure, I wouldn't mind trying Read there.

If they're going to make a trade that has an access of $4M returning, I would prefer it's for a defensman (said without knowing what possibilities, if any, there are).

I never understand a lot of you guys being so willing to dump Read at a dime drop but hold onto Schenn and Couturier like they're pure diamonds. Granted I don't see them all as often as you do, but I think a LOT more of Read than I do of Schenn. Couturier looks like the real deal, but I'd put Couturier, then Rad, then Schenn in my order of importance. Read for Ryan is a bad deal for you guys. I love Bobby Ryan as a player, but I think if Read got the ice time and linemates Ryan had he'd have matched his production step for step, and has more to learn.

• Like 1

I never understand a lot of you guys being so willing to dump Read at a dime drop but hold onto Schenn and Couturier like they're pure diamonds. Granted I don't see them all as often as you do, but I think a LOT more of Read than I do of Schenn. Couturier looks like the real deal, but I'd put Couturier, then Rad, then Schenn in my order of importance. Read for Ryan is a bad deal for you guys. I love Bobby Ryan as a player, but I think if Read got the ice time and linemates Ryan had he'd have matched his production step for step, and has more to learn.

Schenn has more to learn too. Especially by the time he's 26...Reads age. Which BTW is FIVE years from now.

You think Matt Read is better than Schenn???

Granted, he put up more points last season (and had a very good rookie season, no question), but I think we are going to see Schenn come into his own this season. The kid is going to be a beast, IMO.

He is going to be the Flyers forward that other teams hate playing against the most for years to come.