Giroux says Crosby "hacked his wrists before every faceoff"

Guest jkearse123

http://flyers.theche...wrists-every-fa

Following the 2011-12 season, Philadelphia Flyers superstar Claude Giroux underwent surgery on both of his wrists to repair two separate injuries; torn cartilage in his right wrist and removal of bone spurs in his left wrist.

In a recent interview with Timmins Press, a member of the Canoe Sun Media Group, Giroux reportedly stated that rival Sidney Crosby of the Pittsburgh Penguins aided in his need for surgery during their meeting in the Eastern Conference Quarterfinal.

Via Timmins Press:

That's not to say he doesn't have any though, as one look at his hands reveals a pair of nearly symmetrical scars.

“Those are from (Sidney) Crosby,” he says half smiling, but with some tension in his voice. “Every time we'd line up against each other for a face-off during our (2012 playoff) series, instead of going for the puck when it was dropped, he'd hack me across the wrists. I ended up playing the series against (New) Jersey with one of them fractured and had to go for surgery on both of them after we were out of the playoffs.”

Giroux ultimately had the last laugh as his first shift in Game 6 against Pittsburgh (which saw the 24-year old start the game with a huge hit on Crosby followed by a goal 32 seconds after the opening draw), will undoubtedly go down as one of the brighter moments in Philadelphia playoff lore and helped punch the Flyers ticket to the Eastern Conference Semifinal.

However, the star forward was less effective against the Flyers second round opponent, the New Jersey Devils, only registering two goals and one assist in four games (not surprising considering the injuries to both his wrists).

Giroux finished the 2012 playoffs with eight goals, nine assists and 17 points in 10 games.

Crosby,does what the Flyers let him do. Homer and Lackie have essentially neutered the team. Remember the Devils series? The hit Kronwall put on Voracek? That guy weighs 190 lbs. You can't blame "Old Donkey Lips" if nobody stops him. This is a real Sissy squad lead by the defense. Let Shelly take a face-off with Sid,see if that doesn't help Claude's wrist problems.

Its a shame that he is the stature he is. Lindros endured that same type of stuff constantly. That where is classic "bull rush" faceoff move came from. When guys were constantly hacking at him- he would get pissed and ignore the puck and just pummel the guy off the drop.

I read somewhere by one of the the best faceoff guys in the league (forget who) that stated "if you are not cheating on faceoffs, you are not playing to win". Meaining everyone has wagon of tricks up their sleeve. It is both the linesman and refs job to watch the kind of antics that Crosby was employing. He is not the first to do that kind of stuff, so, I am not sure what all the uproar is about.

I don't mind that Giroux came out and said something, but it does sound a bit whiny to me.

In the end, the point for me would be to illustrate the blindness by the officials when it comes to crosby again. Nothing more, nothing less.

• Like 4

Well he had to do something....he could not just pick up his puck and go home............It is a safe bet that Giroux is not the only guy that deals with that from Crosby. Funny how karma works though and I wonder how many people will drop their stick after a face off with him and "Letang" an injury........

Well he had to do something....he could not just pick up his puck and go home............It is a safe bet that Giroux is not the only guy that deals with that from Crosby. Funny how karma works though and I wonder how many people will drop their stick after a face off with him and "Letang" an injury........

I think you missed my point. Allot of guys do that kind of stuff. Messier was great at it. I guess for me it is a "nothing to look at hear" type of thing other than perhaps calling out the officiating again for softness on Crosby.

I wonder how many people will drop their stick after a face off with him and "Letang" an injury........

i like what you did there, making letang into a verb.

i'm in agreement with those that say claude should shut the hell up regarding this, say it in passing , chalk it up to the activity we like to call hockey and take his revenge by coming up with some dastardly "skill" of his own.

i know 28 is a competitor and i'll bet he's pissed about it , rehabbing walking around with two casts to his elbows for a month and a half, that sucks no doubt. he didn't choose hair dressing as his profession though, he chose a sport played by large men some of whom will take any advantage they can to either get an edge or simply remain in the league.

i will say this, it does shed more light on the hacks 28 took from malkin in plain sight, clearly they were targeting his hands, kind of like the way kunitz targeted timmonen's lower body. they'll all get theirs in the end, karma can be difficult woman.

• Like 1

i like what you did there, making letang into a verb.

i'm in agreement with those that say claude should shut the hell up regarding this, say it in passing , chalk it up to the activity we like to call hockey and take his revenge by coming up with some dastardly "skill" of his own.

i know 28 is a competitor and i'll bet he's pissed about it , rehabbing walking around with two casts to his elbows for a month and a half, that sucks no doubt. he didn't choose hair dressing as his profession though, he chose a sport played by large men some of whom will take any advantage they can to either get an edge or simply remain in the league.

i will say this, it does shed more light on the hacks 28 took from malkin in plain sight, clearly they were targeting his hands, kind of like the way kunitz targeted timmonen's lower body. they'll all get theirs in the end, karma can be difficult woman.

Good post Mojo and I totally agree with you about the Malkin and Kunitz targeting areas of injury. That being said, in the playoffs, all is fair but my problem is the makeup of the team.

After that ******** in Pittsburgh at the end of the year, combined with some of the moves other teams in the Eastern Conference made that the team would have done something toughness wise.

I just hope that Derek Mathers truly is ready to step up and is called up by the Flyers for games where the potential exists to get out of hand.

His last three years: 56%, including his last full season played where he lead the league in faceoffs and faceoff win pctg.

So you mean this isn't a concidence and was probably a deliberate attempt to injure?

:ph34r:

So you mean this isn't a concidence and was probably a deliberate attempt to injure?

Of course there was deliberate intent to injure! But what does that have to do with the price of peanuts within the game of hockey??

Of course there was deliberate intent to injure! But what does that have to do with the price of peanuts within the game of hockey??

I guess elbows to the head are fine then...its hockey right? If Roo was doing that to Crosby, Crosby would of bitched and complained to the refs and the league and got Giroux fined if Giroux was doing that to him. Roo was having problems with his wrist and someone deliberatley trys to hurt him even more, maybe alter his career then thats fcked up/

Karma is a *****.

Also, too, "deliberate attempt to injure" is the definition of "major penalty" - you know, "within the game of hockey."

I guess elbows to the head are fine then...its hockey right? If Roo was doing that to Crosby, Crosby would of bitched and complained to the refs and the league and got Giroux fined if Giroux was doing that to him. Roo was having problems with his wrist and someone deliberatley trys to hurt him even more, maybe alter his career then thats fcked up/

Hey PG- I am not condoning his actions, yet his actions or similar are conducted by many NHL players. If you read my initial response, I pointed the blame on the officiating (both the linesman and the refs). I mean really, lets not look at this in O&B glasses. I will pull up many YouTube videos of Messier and Lindros on many differen situations (faceoffs included) that make Cindy look like Bambi. It is all subjective. It is up to the refs and the league to manage the infractions that occur.

I am dissapointed in Giroux to come out at THIS point and state this stuff. Eveyone knows that Cindy is a slasher / hacker, ball puncher, etc. It does zero service to Giroux to state this stuff- now.

If Giroux objective was to highlight the partiality shown to Crosby- then okay, but that is a beaten horse already too. So, in the end, I don't know what it serves to come out and say this stuff- there is no purpose and makes him sound whiney.

Edited by Vanflyer
  • Like 1

Also, too, "deliberate attempt to injure" is the definition of "major penalty" - you know, "within the game of hockey."

Totally get it. What I don't get is the angst against Crosby v. the officiating and the league. As I have said on other posts on this thread, I can readily find numerous youtube vids of Lindros and Messier (both centers) doing the exact same thing (but at least both would man up).

My point is:

We know that Crosby has a golden cape and is not a choir boy (hacks / slashes etc.). The issue that is forefrun is he gets a pass / blind eye by the league- ALWAYS. That to me is the issue- not Crosby's actions.

Hey PG- I am not condoning his actions, yet his actions or similar are conducted by many NHL players. If you read my initial response, I pointed the blame on the officiating (both the linesman and the refs). I mean really, lets not look at this in O&B glasses. I will pull up many YouTube videos of Messier and Lindros on many differen situations (faceoffs included) that make Cindy look like Bambi. It is all subjective. It is up to the refs and the league to manage the infractions that occur.

I am dissapointed in Giroux to come out at THIS point and state this stuff. Eveyone knows that Cindy is a slasher / hacker, ball puncher, etc. It does zero service to Giroux to state this stuff- now.

If Giroux objective was to highlight the partiality shown to Crosby- then okay, but that is a beaten horse already too. So, in the end, I don't know what it serves to come out and say this stuff- there is no purpose and makes him sound whiney.

I hear you, I am not in favour of making hockey into a ***** sport. My problem is it isnt a two way street at all. If it happened to Crosby it would be on CNN world freaking television and would be a bew rule in the rule book for it. It is part of the sport I hear you. I agree maybe not Girouxs best idea ever to come out and ***** about it. Edited by Philly29

OK, this reprt came out in a small town newspaper (Timmins Press) in Northern Ontario and an online news service "The Northern Times".

The "hacking" wasn't the focus, nor the headline on the original story:

http://www.timminspress.com/2012/07/26/giroux-a-modest-superstar

"Giroux a modest superstar"

It's a colour moment, thrown in to contrast Giroux's lack of physical "scars" elsewhere - a la Bobby Clarke.

Giroux doesn't come across as whining - that's the guy at "The Checking Line" that pulled out that one quote and hyped the crap out of it.

Giroux comes across as a guy talking about hockey - as if he expected it *just like we all did* and the Canadians who are the primary audience for the article would expect it.

I'll note they didn't pick out and hype the crap out of this quote:

Asked how he is able to keep such a level head about how his career has gone thus far and where it is potentially headed, Giroux said there were two keys that worked for him.

“First of all, I don't read what's in the media a lot of the time. You don't want to buy into what's written about you too much, whether it's positive or negative because it might affect how you play the game,” he said. “I just focus on what I am able to do and what I have to do to get better. That's about it.”

• Like 1

and is not a choir boy (hacks / slashes etc.).

don't forget ball puncher (as you noted in a previous post), to me that's just as important :lol: if it isn't wrestling, why is a man's hand going near another man's package during competition?

OK, this reprt came out in a small town newspaper (Timmins Press) in Northern Ontario and an online news service "The Northern Times".

The "hacking" wasn't the focus, nor the headline on the original story:

http://www.timminspr...odest-superstar

"Giroux a modest superstar"

It's a colour moment, thrown in to contrast Giroux's lack of physical "scars" elsewhere - a la Bobby Clarke.

Giroux doesn't come across as whining - that's the guy at "The Checking Line" that pulled out that one quote and hyped the crap out of it.

Giroux comes across as a guy talking about hockey - as if he expected it *just like we all did* and the Canadians who are the primary audience for the article would expect it.

I'll note they didn't pick out and hype the crap out of this quote:

And there is a great example of why sound bits and selective excerpts can be completely misconstrued. Thanks for posting that.