Biggest disappointment ever in your team

Guest yave1964

What would you consider to be the biggest disappointment you have ran in to as a fan of your team in your lifetime? To me the four biggest were:

4. 2009 losing to the Penguins in the finals having a 3 games to 2 lead and blowing it.

3. 1996 Losing in the playoffs to the Colorado Avalanche and Patrick Freakin Roy.

2. 1994 As a one seed losing in seven games to the San Jose Sharks, an eight seed with no business being on the same ice.

1. 1995 Swept by Brodeur and Claude the Turtle Lemieux. We had the best record in the game and the finals seemed to be a formality. It was. Lemaire way outcoached his former coach.

These are my worst, honorable mention being swept by Giguere and the Ducks, Pronger upsetting the Wings with the Oilers in Stevie Ys' last year.

What are your lost sleep swore off hockey for at least a few weeks moments?

Edited by yave1964

Wow, a show me your scars thread, this could be painful....

1987 Final losing game 7 in Edmonton. Ouch. Still.

1986 losing to the damn Rangers in round 1, back when it was a best of 5 series. That group could have won a Cup, and this could have been it with Edmonton getting knocked out by Calgary.

1980 losing to the Isles in the Final. The last hurrah for the Broad Street Bullies. That group should have had one more Cup. That was the one.

2000 up 3 games to one on the Devils and end up in a game 7 where Lindros' career was effectively ended by Scott Stevens. Another group that really should have won a Cup, couldn't get past the Devils.

• Like 1

Wow, a show me your scars thread, this could be painful....

1987 Final losing game 7 in Edmonton. Ouch. Still.

1986 losing to the damn Rangers in round 1, back when it was a best of 5 series. That group could have won a Cup, and this could have been it with Edmonton getting knocked out by Calgary.

1980 losing to the Isles in the Final. The last hurrah for the Broad Street Bullies. That group should have had one more Cup. That was the one.

2000 up 3 games to one on the Devils and end up in a game 7 where Lindros' career was effectively ended by Scott Stevens. Another group that really should have won a Cup, couldn't get past the Devils.

your scars look more like infectious grooves......

1987 Flyers loss to Edmonton

1991 North Stars loss to the Penguins

but yeah I agree with Sarsippius and say the loss to the Devils in 2000 when Stevens destroyed Lindros was the most heartbreaking.

Count me in on 1987 Finals that was so painful!!! It was a bit of a tease as they valiantly won games 5 and 6 in comeback fashion and then then took an early 1-0 lead in game 7 (the 1st time the scored 1st in the whole series). To this day I have a hard time watching any highlights from game 7.

(1986, although we had a shot with the Oilers screwing themselves vs the Flames, it would have been tough even if we did get by the Rags. We had Frosty in net and the team was still not right with Pelle fresh in their minds. For 1986 the biggest dissapointment was the fact that Pelle was drunk and could not negotiate a turn one Sommerdale Rd.)

1996-1997 didn't hurt me too much as I was studying abroad and althought I was following the team via box scores I wasn't as emotionally invested as I would have been had I been living stateside.

2000-2001 hurt bad too as we should have never lost up 3-1 to the Devils...what a waste that was.

2003-2004 was no picnic either vs the friggin Lightning. I was sure we would win after forcing game 7....

2009 vs the Pens sucked on so many levels as it was during the golden age of PBO (pens biased officiating). I'll never forget games 1 where we got called for 12 penalties and game 2 with the phantom hook on Carter with less than 5 mins left in the game. That led to the GTG followed by a 5 on 3 in OT for the GWG. Then game 6 with the Shhhh crap was the final kick in the nuts.

2010 sucked because it was winnable if Leights out didnt turn the Leights out on the Flyers in the finals. So many ugly goals so little time to discuss.

Edited by Poulin20

@sarsippius

Great list! I'm so glad someone mentioned losing to the Smurfs in round 1 because that was one of the first places my mind went to.

Although it's not a team "loss" in the sense of losing a playoffs, up there with me for "disappointment" was Fred Shero leaving the Flyers and the Flyers trading Poulin and Propp. 2 goals in a series against Ottawa was pretty painful, too, but I expected very little out of the team that year.

@sarsippius

Great list! I'm so glad someone mentioned losing to the Smurfs in round 1 because that was one of the first places my mind went to.

Although it's not a team "loss" in the sense of losing a playoffs, up there with me for "disappointment" was Fred Shero leaving the Flyers and the Flyers trading Poulin and Propp. 2 goals in a series against Ottawa was pretty painful, too, but I expected very little out of the team that year.

Those freakin smurfs and the playoff battles in the early 80s are why I hate the Rangers so, so much.

As @Poulin20 reminded me in another thread,the '88 loss to the Caps in game 7 on a Dale Hunter OT breakaway goal should rank pretty high on the list of things that sucked.

I won't repeat what's already been said, so I'll add...

James Van Reimsdyk, 2nd overall. There have been some pretty damn good players at #2. Doughty, Malkin, Ryan, the Staals, Spezza, half the alien bros. We get a guy who shows you how great he can be one shift every 7 games.

• Like 2

3 stick out to me...losing to the Islanders in 1980, after the "streak". That team just seemed destined to win one more Cup. Losing Game 7 to the Oilers in 1987. And getting swept in 1997 by the Red Wings.

Perhaps winning a Cup in the last 35 years would lessen those 3?? :huh:

For me it goes something like this....

1) The Nystrom goal = denied Clarke, Barber and company a 3rd cup and would have resulted in our heroes to be held in much higer regard around the NHL circles. Everbody knows the Flyers would have finished the NYI off in a game 7 at the Sprectrum. Same game was the famous 1 mile offside goal from everyones favourite linsemen Leon Stickle. Let's not forget the goal that was knocked in over Potvins head.....BUL**HIT if I ever saw it!!!

2) The Kurri goal.....seems like it was just yesterday. The phrase "so close, but yet so far" applies here in spades. We came within an eyelash of defeating one of the best teams ever. I still wake up in cold sweat dreaming about the Kurri goal....I remember it being SOOOOO deflating. Not once did I think they would tie it up (although they did have a few legit chances to do so). After that Kurri goal, I honestly believed the dream was over.

3) The whole Stevens vs Lindros hit and the corresponding 3 games to 1 monumental choke. I hated the Devils before this series, but this took my hatred to a new height. For years later not a soul was allowed to mutter "Brodeur" in my house, or risk being forceably removed....ha ha. I think the sting of losing the huge lead in this series made our win against them a few years back in the playoffs that much more sweet. After we lost Game #5 my idiot buddies were shouting "THE FLYERS WILL NOT WIN ANOTHER GAME!!" Of course, because they were right, I never heard the end of it for years and years.....it's not every day you successfully predict a 3-1 comeback...all 5 of them were so proud of themselves....sickening, just sickening.

This walk down memory lane left me seriously depressed. Man oh man has this franchise been through so much heartache.....

• Like 1

@jammer2

yeah the # 2 and #3 were tough pills to swallow, and losing to the Islanders was one of my first Flyers memories, so i wasn't too invested in them at that time, didn't know why all the adults were screaming offsides at the tv.

I will add the game 6 loss vs the Pens in 2009 that was a pretty wtf is happening here when Biron started to i don't even know what he was doing but the first goal after the talbot fight was awful...

I will also add campbell getting horseshit lucky diving and altering Carter's shot in game 6 in 2010 and later Pat Kane's bullshit head fake and mystery shot for the win in OT that was pretty gut punchy too.

As a side note in reading all these comments... I think we could be the only division in hockey where every team pretty legitimately hates every other team in the division. I love it! Carrying on...

Edited by Polaris922
  • Like 2

As a side note in reading all these comments... I think we could be the only division in hockey where every team pretty legitimately hates every other team in the division. I love it! Carrying on...

That is what I mentioned elsewhere about my Wings they don't have a huge rival right now because they are pretty vanilla. They win and win but are not a sexy team...maybe that is why I watched so many Hawks and Senators games this year......
  • Like 1

I can't add much more than what has already been posted either: From the sweep of Detroit in the SCF to Game 7 vs the Oilers in 87 to Stevens hit to Lindros...all have been major disappointments. I will add losing to Florida in the playoffs also hurt and their fans throwing rats onto the ice. That was pretty low too.

Have to agree with @Polaris922 every team in our division HATES each other. Gotta love that! Makes for some fun hockey! Curious to see what happens when you at Columbus and Carolina to the mix. However we gain the rivalry with the Caps back. Absolutely hated that team during the 80's and that weasel and headhunter Dale Hunter.

I think we could be the only division in hockey where every team pretty legitimately hates every other team in the division.

And aren't we getting the Caps back next year in realignment? I used to love to hate them. Not as much as the Rangers of course.

@pilldoc

@sarsippius

The Pens rivalry with the Caps never seemed to go away. Maybe it was the Ovechkin vs. Crosby argument, but for whatever reason there's a huge rivalry there for us still. The NHL's top 10 rivalries actually listed the Penguins rivalry with the Caps ahead of the Penguins-Flyers rivalry which I disagree with.

Edited by Polaris922
  • Like 1