Flyers acquire rights to Streit

Let me state that I am basing all this on the premise that Homer is going to dish out another stupid contract for a player past his prime.

Remember it's conditional on signing him so i'm hoping Homer is thinking a 3 year length max and if not they walk...he coulds still and then i not sure if its still or a 4th that drops to a 7th and just Harper who wasn't going to be resigned anyways.

I hope i'm not wrong but i read conditional...now really what the conditions are i'm not really sure but there are conflicting reports.

The Flyers currently have $27.9M committed to eight defensemen. No, that is not a typo. I haven't checked, but I would be very surprised if that isn't the most expensive blueline in the NHL. It's a shame it's so terrible.

Anyway, that $27.9M includes Bourdon ($650k) and Pronger ($4.9M). Five of our eight defensemen under contract have NMC/NTC of some sort. Even by putting Pronger and Bourdon's salaries on LTIR and adding $5M+ for Streit would still mean that almost half of the salary cap is spent on defense. If they performed like Boston, I would be all for it. But they perform like the Phantoms.

Long story short, I think one of Meszaros or Coburn is a goner. Yes, Coburn is one of the five with a NMC/NTC, but he has a modified NTC, so presumably that just gives him some choice of location, but he can't outright block a trade. I'm just assuming here.

If we draft a defenseman, and trade Read for Bernier, trade Coburn or Meszaros for picks/prospects, and keep Streit to two years (I'd overpay to keep the length to two years... it's a smarter business decision), then I will be happy with the offseason.

We're just getting started boys... it could be a rough ride!!

The Flyers currently have $27.9M committed to eight defensemen. No, that is not a typo. I haven't checked, but I would be very surprised if that isn't the most expensive blueline in the NHL. It's a shame it's so terrible.

Anyway, that $27.9M includes Bourdon ($650k) and Pronger ($4.9M). Five of our eight defensemen under contract have NMC/NTC of some sort. Even by putting Pronger and Bourdon's salaries on LTIR and adding $5M+ for Streit would still mean that almost half of the salary cap is spent on defense. If they performed like Boston, I would be all for it. But they perform like the Phantoms.

Long story short, I think one of Meszaros or Coburn is a goner. Yes, Coburn is one of the five with a NMC/NTC, but he has a modified NTC, so presumably that just gives him some choice of location, but he can't outright block a trade. I'm just assuming here.

If we draft a defenseman, and trade Read for Bernier, trade Coburn or Meszaros for picks/prospects, and keep Streit to two years (I'd overpay to keep the length to two years... it's a smarter business decision), then I will be happy with the offseason.

I fear you are correct Brelic... if this is another ludicrous contract I hope Homer gets the boot. I dont see how this type of madness is evergoing to change unless someone else is in the front office. And I mean a non Flyer...

Maybe Homer can sell him on a 2-3 year deal... if that is the case than I am fine with the move. But, I have a very good feeling that we are going to put out a contract that is ridiculous. 4-5 years fornt loaded w/ a NMC... no thanks.

• Like 1

Someone wrote that this is a good move to bide time for our young defensemen to mature... everyone getting so excited about Gustufsson and the big Dane .the only problem with that is ,NONE of young defenseman project to be anything more than 4-6 guys, and other the 2 offensive guys we have now, Streit and Timmo are fossils.The young offensive guys we have, Ghost and Gus are tiny and not exactly the top 2 dmen this team is sorely lacking. There are no saviors waiting in the wings to help this defense. We need to draft a good defensman, someone with offensive skill and a physical edge. Of course even if we draft a great young dman this season, there is no guarantee he will be ready. So somehwere down the road when timmo or Streit get hurt, we will be having to trade for defense again, which we have been doing for 20 years... I have never seen a team take so many injuries on defense as the Flyers.

@ Murray Craven, I believe you are right , why will we pay all this $$ to Streit unless we were dumping salary. I hope it isnt Coburn ,he is the only young good skating big defenseman we have left, I would trade Mez he is injury prone anyway. All in all, I would way rather keep Mez than pay Streit a big contract for 3 years or longer. I dont really care for the move

• Like 1

All in all, I would way rather keep Mez than pay Streit a big contract for 3 years or longer. I dont really care for the move

I am right with you on this... I hope I am wrong and the contract is w/in reason. But, I just dont expect the contract to be reasonable based on what Homer has done in the past.

I don't hate it, but it most certainly is *not* putting us over the hump... although I have to say he looked decent against the Pens. It's not a bad signing...

Does this pretty much solidify Bryz or BDanny Boy (or both) being bought out for sure?

@doom88 I hope Gus becomes an offensive force, but when other teams have guys like Doughty,Chara, and Seabrooke, Gus will never be that caliber . He is just not physical or durable enough.gus is a one dimensional player. We need a franchise defenseman.

@brelic... it looks Ok, for now, but it still does address the most pressing issue, when Timmo is gone and Streit gets injured or starts to fade, we stll dont have a young top 2 dman anywhere in our system. We have to get one either via trade or draft, but in reality we need to do both, We have to strike gold in this years draft.

@doom88 I hope Gus becomes an offensive force, but when other teams have guys like Doughty,Chara, and Seabrooke, Gus will never be that caliber . He is just not physical or durable enough.gus is a one dimensional player. We need a franchise defenseman.

Earlier you said 4-6, now you're comparing #2 growth potential with blue chip #1s. Everyone needs an elite defender, but there isn't exactly a surplus. None of the guys you mentioned are available, why bother?

Gus played quite well for Sweden, and I think isn't a liability in his own zone. He was also leading the Flyers in ice time for a few games. Instead of blowing the team up, why not see what the youth already in the organization is made of?

Also, physical play doesn't make a defender elite.

• Like 1

I honestly don't know how many of those guys I expect to definitely be there opening night. Schenn is a good bet. Other than that, unless kimmo got a NMC on his extension, I don't think anyone's safe.

ok the mandatory question (if he signs) who does he get paired with?

Kimmo / L. Schenn

Streit / Coburn

Grossman / Guss / Mez (unless traded?)

Lauridsen 1st call up?

First off, I think the Bernier deal is still a possibility and that is the first thing I'd try to make happen.

Next, the Streit deal isn't finalized. He may refuse to sign. No harm, no foul.

In lieu or in addition to the Streit deal there are numerous #2-#4 d men out there that are RFA's. (half of the kings d squad actually).

I think we have to unload Mazarin and grossman too. i actually like them both, but thwy're just never healthy anymore an that's too much of a liability when we need them so desperately, so I'd trade one or both if I could.

The next step really is coaching. Our D (young or old) looks so confused in their own end and the forwards look like old ladies waiting for outlet passes that never come anywhere near them.

This team has offensive skill out the wazoo and great passers to boot, BUT they never get a good rush off the transition so they never get clean passing lanes. We all lamented not having Jagr to jump start things, and he may have helped, but to me the offensive problem started begun our own blue line... A good example supporting this is how much better this team got on special teams than even strength.

They could play offense. They could play defense, they were terrible at getting from one to the other.

Wow..tough crowd. People hate this deal, but what would u folks rather do as an alternative to this move? Just curious on your thoughts.

Not so sold on Striet being a Flyer. He's pretty one dimensional and is barely serviceable in his own end, The guys on Hockey Night in Canada are saying Striet will be demanding 6 milll a year....my gut says it's his last big chance at a big payout and will ask for the 3-4 year range. This could have disaster written alll over it.

Personally, I'd rather kick in a few more mill and secure Voynov in a RFA poaching scenario. at least then they could be left with somebody usefull, super fast, is not injury prone, can run a top pp and is still really young...yep, that the way I'd spend the money. Plus this kid lugs the puck up the so nicely, a lot of speed, flare, smarts....kid has it all, and not nearl reached his pt production prime....I think he's going to be a 70pt per year d-man in a few years

• Like 1

As far as it goes, I like this move. We got a good player and gave up essentially nothing. The contract will be the key, obviously. But the Flyers need someone like Streit, and they pretty much need him yesterday. We now have two defensemen who actually have a clue what to do when a puck lands on their stick. Ok, I guess three if you count Gus. This is progress. Pending the terms of the contract of course.

Obviously they still need to get some young talent on D, but Streit is as about as good a stopgap solution as there is right now.

• Like 2

You'll notice that the "horrible" defense never had the six projected starting players in any game last season. Bruno Gervais appeared in the third most games for Flyer defensemen (37). Gervais was projected as a serviceable seven and he's playing third most games on the roster.

Streit would be a Timonen stop gap replacement - another patch job. 3 years, $5 million I suppose I could live with. Would likely mean someone is getting dealt - is Streit at $5M for the next three an upgrade on Coburn (+$500K)? or Grossmannnn (+1.5K)? Meszaros (+1M)?

I also don't see this as an indication they are going to drop Bryz (cap makes Briere's all but inevitable).

You'll notice that the "horrible" defense never had the six projected starting players in any game last season. Bruno Gervais appeared in the third most games for Flyer defensemen (37). Gervais was projected as a serviceable seven and he's playing third most games on the roster.

That's a lot of misfortune for our blueliners. One can hope next season won't be as injury-riddled.

Streit would be a Timonen stop gap replacement - another patch job. 3 years, $5 million I suppose I could live with. Would likely mean someone is getting dealt - is Streit at $5M for the next three an upgrade on Coburn (+$500K)? or Grossmannnn (+1.5K)? Meszaros (+1M)?

I don't have a problem with Streit per se. I think he gives us what we've been looking for - a puck moving defenseman - *without* giving up one of our young guys in return. Would Yandle be better? Sure, but not for Coots, a 1st rounder, and Cousins (PHO was reportedly looking for young roster player, pick, and prospect). And as I think you've mentioned before, if Yandle is *so* good, why does he pop up in all the trade rumours?

Anything more than 2 years and I will be disappointed. So, I guess I'm ready to be disappointed :) But that comes with being a Flyers fan, ha!

Meszaros or Coburn will be dealt. Grossman stays. He brings a solid defensive presence and a ton of shot blocking to the team. Plus he hits like a truck. He's excellent as a 2nd pairing defenseman... put him with Streit, and it might not look so bad.

I also don't see this as an indication they are going to drop Bryz (cap makes Briere's all but inevitable).

I was going on what McKenzie and others tweeted after they acquired Streit.

@TSNBobMcKenzie PHI will now negotiate a deal with Streit. Have to believe compliance buyouts are in the works for Bryzgalov and Briere to free up cap space

@tpanotchCSN Pat Brisson wants to get this done before July 1 and I suspect the Flyers had a number in mind in advance and it will get done ...

@tpanotchCSN Flyers will h ave no choice but to go with buyouts b/c of this deal. Gonna be a busy July.

@DNFlyers Streit on signing w/ Flyers: “I think maybe they need a few days or wks, but I’m pretty positive. I truly hope it's going to get done soon."

@BroadStBull Newsday says Streit, 35, wants $5.5M per yr. #Flyers could have signed Carle, then 27, for that figure last year.Carle got 6 yrs with TB.

@BroadStBull “@kevinskele: @BroadStBull yo sam what two buyouts will the flyers use it on” Briere is probably one. Bryz is up in air.

@davegisaac TSN reports Streit will target a 4-yr deal with AAV of $4-5M. Negotiations start today. Wonder what #Flyers fans think. #sarcasm #theysayNO

Yes, if they sign Streit, they will need to exercise the buyout. Which means they need to get things in order pretty quick. Everything will go down before the end of June.

So, you're adding Streit to the blueline and have Mason and...??? in goal.

You know, that bit about Carle in the Carchidi tweet really irritates me. That's another blunder... clear example of the "grass is greener" mentality with this organization.

How much more settled would our defense be if we had just signed Carle in the first place?

Instead we had to go and offer Weber a 14 year deal to keep him until he was 42.

Overvalue what others have, undervalue what we have.

• Like 3

Here is an interesting take on the Streit acquisition.

I like the idea of it being a back up plan or an insurance policy to make sure you don't get taken in trades for a younger defenseman.

http://thehockeyguys.net/mark-streit-temporary-solution-on-defense-for-philadelphia-flyers-or-only-first-step/

Edited by Phillygrump

@brelic

And now that he's traded a 4th for Streit, what's he going to offer him. Streit turned down a 3 year $15.5 mil contract, which is longer and more money than I think he's worth. His game has already started to decline and will only snowball.

@brelic

And now that he's traded a 4th for Streit, what's he going to offer him. Streit turned down a 3 year $15.5 mil contract, which is longer and more money than I think he's worth. His game has already started to decline and will only snowball.

@FC...

I am betting on a 4 year deal heavily weighted in the first two years. Something like this:

Year 1: 6M

Year 2: 6M

Year 3: 4.75

Year 4: 4.75

Not that I like it one bit but if history serves this is what I expect from Homer...