Why does everyone hate the Streit signing?

Guest pensuck

Looking at our overpriced defense. How is he so bad? You guys should be complaining of how much we pay our own overrated dmen. This guy will instantly be one of our best dmen with a limited nmc that they can trade after 2 years. Also, don't forget that we gave up pretty much nothing (including our young core) to get him. Let me know what our options are in the free agent market cause I see nobody out there worth anything.

• Like 1

it's a little too much for a little too long for a guy with a little too one way of a game.

it isn't a terrible contract, streit is a good player, the money is reasonable and the term not crazy excessive. so. not too too bad.

he is a one way guy, though. poor man's kris letang. or, poor man's drew doughty, is maybe a better analogy. this solves one problem some, exacerbates another some. for a cap hit the team will notice, and a term that will take him beyond his effective years.

conclusion: meh.

it's a little too much for a little too long for a guy with a little too one way of a game.

it isn't a terrible contract, streit is a good player, the money is reasonable and the term not crazy excessive. so. not too too bad.

he is a one way guy, though. poor man's kris letang. or, poor man's drew doughty, is maybe a better analogy. this solves one problem some, exacerbates another some. for a cap hit the team will notice, and a term that will take him beyond his effective years.

conclusion: meh.

I wouldn't call him a poor man's Drew Doughty. Doughty is an all-situations d-man. Streit is not. That said, not a bad deal and I don't hate it.

• Like 1

People are clueless and do t anything about players market. The market is crazy expensive for defense so you are either suck or swallow pill. I give to Homer for at least trying to get someone decent without loosing anyone.

Everyone is saying look we had Pronger, well it's freak accident when he got stick in the eye. If it would happen he would still playing and who knows?

Looking at our overpriced defense. How is he so bad? You guys should be complaining of how much we pay our own overrated dmen.

sorry for the double post, but decided to respond to the points. this one, first, he IS our own overrated dman, now. part of our overpriced defense. he will have the second highest cap hit on the flyers blueline, after timonen. and that includes pronger.

This guy will instantly be one of our best dmen with a limited nmc that they can trade after 2 years.

in some ways, sure. in other ways, not. and I have a tough time seeing a 37 year old mark streit with a cap hit of $5.25mil being a very attractive trading piece. just saying.

Also, don't forget that we gave up pretty much nothing (including our young core) to get him.

cap space, only cap space.

Let me know what our options are in the free agent market cause I see nobody out there worth anything.

if that is the case, the flyers didn't have to do anything. again, the flyers are now a better puck moving team for ~23 minutes per game. they are also a less defensively responsible team for ~23 minutes. they also have $5.25mil less to spend on other pieces for the next four years.

again, i'm not crazy pissed over it, but I do think it was a weak signing ultimately. streit is a single purpose tool and Holmgren paid more than that is worth. not by a ton, but still.

• Like 3

I was just looking at the dmen numbers this year. After kimmo streit was # 12 in the league in dmen scoring. The next flyer was Luke at like 70th. I know he's a little old but kimmo looked pretty good the last few years and I'm still waiting to hear a better option without getting rid of our young nucleus.

stand pat.

This, more or less.

The deal is just more of the same, stop-gap, hole-plugging that doesn't seem to represent any coherent strategy beyond "we need a defenceman, who is the best available rightnow?"

I don't hate the deal at this point. It's not Brygalovian in its scope, but I find the length superfluous.

Last year was the season to stand pat. Plug in Carle and Jagr and you may have had the six extra points when Bryzgalov was putting up 2.19/.929 and going 2-4 to start the season, especially anticipating the lockout. Water under the bridge. A whole lot of water actually. In fact, one might have thought a freaking dam burst, but there you go.

Streit isn't horrible. I'm reasonably sure they will get at least two good years out of him.

But his production has fallen in each of the past five seasons. He's not the 50-60 point defenceman he was for two seasons.four years ago.

And $5.5M is about the going rate for a 40-point defenceman.

• Like 3

@pensuck

how develop a long-term strategy for once

target 2012, do not do anything thats going to affect the cap for 2016 and forward

Why?

because they're not winning the cup this season or the next

if they demonstrated patience and actually developed a PLAN then by 2016 they'd be ready to make some noise.

But now this idiotic contract will hinder their ability to make moves for 2016/2017.

You don't build a champion by putting all your chips into the upcoming season, every single season.

Just taking a quick gander at Marks plus minus stats, they look kinda odd. When the Isles were horrible in the standings, he was only a minus 5 or minus 6. Then when Tavares got there and they started moving up in the standings he was a outlandish -27....and then followed that up with a -14 this past year.....but, when he was in Europe during the strike he had a positive plus minus.....these stats dont seem to add up, rather odd.

http://www.hockeydb....y.php?pid=32708

Edited by jammer2

@jammer2

European league stats are so hard to translate, though, weird things happen. like, glen metropolit was the second leading point scorer in the swiss-A league that season. when that happens, nothing makes sense.

"if that is the case, the flyers didn't have to do anything. again, the flyers are now a better puck moving team for ~23 minutes per game. they are also a less defensively responsible team for ~23 minutes. they also have $5.25mil less to spend on other pieces for the next four"

There it is! That's the reason I'm pissed about this signing. If there were no better options, then maybe doing nothing would have been the answer. But no, Homer locks up a 35 year old player for over 5 mil a year until he is 39. Rather then being patient and letting some of our younger players develop, they sign an older player to fill the gap. I would be OK with this deal if I thought they were in a position to make a run next year, but unless they catch fire, they are not likely to do it. They no longer know how to build a team from the ground up. They just continue to patch holes instead of tearing down and building back up. At his age and cap hit, I would have rather they just signed Carle last year. I guess it is true that the market is just inflated for these kinds of defenseman.

• Like 2

Looking at our overpriced defense. How is he so bad? You guys should be complaining of how much we pay our own overrated dmen. This guy will instantly be one of our best dmen with a limited nmc that they can trade after 2 years. Also, don't forget that we gave up pretty much nothing (including our young core) to get him. Let me know what our options are in the free agent market cause I see nobody out there worth anything.

This signing just proves that Holmgren has no plan in place for this team, he just keeps flying by the seat of his pants. I would have taken Gonchar for 2 years. The UFA market would have been brutal for defensemen, can only hope that Holmgren drafts a defenseman in the upcoming draft.

Good point, I wonder what plan A was? :lol:

Plan A was Pronger, then Weber, then Suter, so we are actually at Plan D for a top D-man, how appropriate. In reality, for those of us who have been around long enough, I think we are close to plan Z.

I still think you have to consider some defenseman benefit your team by the old "best defense is a good offense" train of thought. It DOES work quite well. Puck possession, offensive zone time, etc..

It *can* work. But it certainly didn't work for the Pens this year. Boston's stifling defense is also playing havoc on Chicago's offense.

Laviolette's system is about offense, and there are two preconditions for that system:

a) Confident and consistent breakouts

b) a goaltender who can stop a lot of high percentage opportunities

We have neither.