Bernier a Maple Leaf. :(

Guest AndyS

Just stupid.

Saw it on Kopitar's Facebook page.

Can't even begin to say how upset this makes me.

Homer finally had a chance to correct a 25-year problem with this team & just whiffs.

And now we get to be tortured by Bernier in Toronto for the next decade.

It's just idiotic.

ugggggg!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Damm...Damm .....Double Damm........

Do you ever notice that players get moved and the price is not as steep as we think.....YET...it is percived that we almost always over pay...just a thoughts???

• Like 3

ugggggg!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Damm...Damm .....Double Damm........

Do you ever notice that players get moved and the price is not as steep as we think.....YET...it is percived that we almost always over pay...just a thoughts???

It is always perceived that we overpay by forum members and philadelphia media because we get emotionally attached to players and their potential.

• Like 1

Just stupid.

Saw it on Kopitar's Facebook page.

Can't even begin to say how upset this makes me.

Homer finally had a chance to correct a 25-year problem with this team & just whiffs.

And now we get to be tortured by Bernier in Toronto for the next decade.

It's just idiotic.

Holmgren is an idiot, if they bring back Bryzgalov this year I hope they end up last overall and old man Snider has a heart attack because the Flyers have no playoff revenue for two years running. Probably could have had him for Read, Cousins and 2nd. Probably assets that he could have used to land Bernier Holmgren will use to try and land another ****in forward, Bobby Ryan, instead of trying to upgrade the problem that has been around in the last 25 years. Sign Emery or anybody else and just get rid of Bryzgalov.

Edited by Lindbergh31
  • Like 1

@AndyS

@ctid

@Lindbergh31

Reports out of LA made it known that Hextall was looking for an inexpensive backup goalie and a top 6 forward / prospect in return for Bernier. The Flyers did not have a cheap NHL experienced goalie for exchange. So unless Holmgren was going to overpay the Flyers were not going to get Bernier.

Holmgren basically said yesterday that there was a slim chance the Kings were interested in a deal with the Flyers.

@AndyS

@ctid

@Lindbergh31

Reports out of LA made it known that Hextall was looking for an inexpensive backup goalie and a top 6 forward / prospect in return for Bernier. The Flyers did not have a cheap NHL experienced goalie for exchange. So unless Holmgren was going to overpay the Flyers were not going to get Bernier.

Holmgren basically said yesterday that there was a slim chance the Kings were interested in a deal with the Flyers.

Could have pulled a 3rd team into the deal, or he could have sweetened the deal some other way.

I would have gladly given up Cooter for Bernier straight up.

And if they need a back-up goalie, they can sign Bryz on the cheap after we amnesty him! :D

Holmgren is an idiot, if they bring back Bryzgalov this year I hope they end up last overall and old man Snider has a heart attack because the Flyers have no playoff revenue for two years running. Probably could have had him for Read, Cousins and 2nd. Probably assets that he could have used to land Bernier Holmgren will use to try and land another ****in forward, Bobby Ryan, instead of trying to upgrade the problem that has been around in the last 25 years. Sign Emery or anybody else and just get rid of Bryzgalov.

Exactly.

Damn. I was really hoping we'd get a "do-over" on Bob. Bernier could've been it but no, not to be...seems the Flyers still regard goaltending as a low priority.

Andy's right if Homer wanted to get it done he could've found a 3rd team to deal with, get LA what they were looking for. That plus what we have...he could've made it happen.

Damn. I was really hoping we'd get a "do-over" on Bob. Bernier could've been it but no, not to be...seems the Flyers still regard goaltending as a low priority.

Andy's right if Homer wanted to get it done he could've found a 3rd team to deal with, get LA what they were looking for. That plus what we have...he could've made it happen.

Bernier will be better than Bob, IMO.

@AndyS

@ctid

@Lindbergh31

Sorry HF101 but Frattin is far from a top 6 forward/prospect and the Kings could have easily signed a free agent backup who would make less than $750,000 to backup Quick. This looks more like let's see if Holmgren would overpay but Read is better than Frattin and if the Flyers added Cousins that would have more than been enough to get Bernier. I hope to hell that Bernier falls flat on his face otherwise once again Flyers fans will have to watch a goalie they should have had go on to have a good career elsewhere. It's high time that Holmgren and the Flyers build a ****in team from the goal out. Maybe we can trade Holmgren for Hextall.

• Like 1

@Lindbergh31

Well I was thinking more on the lines of a second line winger based upon his speed. He did put up 60pts with North Dakota. As far as signing a FA goalie. it probably would be hard to sign one cheaper than Scrivens.

I think Holmgren has tried to build the team from the goal out, there just is no guarantees.

I think Holmgren has tried to build the team from the goal out, there just is no guarantees.

Well, he - and Snider - thought Bryz was going be that type of a goalie. So at least we can't say they did not try. Problem is they had zero research and completely miscalculated Bryz's potentials and made the matters worse by shipping Bob. When they realized Bryz was a mistake, it was too late to do much since they handcuffed themselves to a multi-year stupid contract, a horror in a locker room, and a liability in net. And while we don't know for a fact, but I would venture to guess Mason was signed not as a back-up but more to have a Plan B, albeit a shaky one, in case they *are* planning an exit strategy with Bryz.

So in a nutshell, yeah, they tried. They just messed things up due to their inability and cluelessness, again.

• Like 1

I'll get killed, but everyone take take a breath... There are more shoes to drop....

I speculate as much, Homer always finds money. Do you have proof or are you just trying to reassure the angry mob?

To me, I think they have other plans for Read, in a deal that they feel is more significant for the team then acquiring Bernier. I think the draft will be very interesting for Flyers fans.

Homer wouldn't be doing his job if he wasn't exploring the possibility of a move like what you're thinking about. I'd be open to that kind of wheeling and dealing, if it's the right deal.

• Like 2

Interesting situation here in that, unless I'm missing something important, Bernier was traded fairly cheap and the Flyers and every other team took a pass on paying marginally more. Of course, some of the armchair GM's might end up being right but the real GM's were willing to pay less for Bernier than Columbus was willing to pay for Bob.

• Like 1

Interesting situation here in that, unless I'm missing something important, Bernier was traded fairly cheap and the Flyers and every other team took a pass on paying marginally more. Of course, some of the armchair GM's might end up being right but the real GM's were willing to pay less for Bernier than Columbus was willing to pay for Bob.

I would say the return for Bernier was a little better than what the Flyers got for Bob, two NHL players (albeit not great ones) and a 4th rounder for Bernier vs a 2nd and a 4th for Bob. Close but I'd give a slight edge to the Kings. Nevertheless, still considerably less than what one might expect if the real GMs thought he was going to be the next Brodeur.

Fact is, while I think he's talented he hasn't set the NHL on fire. His career numbers going into this season were pretty much the same as Bob's were when the Flyers traded him. He had a shot at the King's starting job and Quick beat him out for it. And that happened before Quick's spectacular late season and Cup run.

I would say the return for Bernier was a little better than what the Flyers got for Bob, two NHL players (albeit not great ones) and a 4th rounder for Bernier vs a 2nd and a 4th for Bob. Close but I'd give a slight edge to the Kings. Nevertheless, still considerably less than what one might expect if the real GMs thought he was going to be the next Brodeur.

Fact is, while I think he's talented he hasn't set the NHL on fire. His career numbers going into this season were pretty much the same as Bob's were when the Flyers traded him. He had a shot at the King's starting job and Quick beat him out for it. And that happened before Quick's spectacular late season and Cup run.

According to my every trade ever made by the Flyers site, Flyers got a second and two 4th's. But the point remains that it wasn't a lot and the rest of the league failed to match or beat "not a lot". He might win the Vezina. But I guess most GM's still see him as a crap shoot.

Is there anyone out there that thinks the coming changes in pads will impact how teams select goaltenders? Is a smallish goaltender like Bernier going to relatively less effective because of the likely rule changes?

To me, I think they have other plans for Read, in a deal that they feel is more significant for the team then acquiring Bernier. I think the draft will be very interesting for Flyers fans.

I think you are right about trading Read but not for what we really need. It will be another forward (Bobby Ryan?). He will amnesty Bryz and give a 5 year deal to a old broken down Backstrom. I can picture it now. Homer or should I say the Flyers never make a trade or sign the obvious player we need, they think they are smarter then everyone and make the wrong choice. This reminds me of the signing of Beezer instead of Cujo.

• Like 1

It was reported (by TP) that the Kings weren't interested in Read as part of any deal because he was an impending UFA. Take that for what it is.

Source: TOR sweetened deal with $500K to LA... Kings no interest in Matt Read b/c of UFA status next year. Tim Panaccio (@tpanotchCSN)

Edited by AJgoal