FLYERS AND GIROUX CLOSE TO EIGHT-YEAR CONTRACT EXTENSION

Guest AlaskaFlyerFan

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=426936

FLYERS AND GIROUX CLOSE TO EIGHT-YEAR CONTRACT EXTENSION

The Philadelphia Flyers are close to agreeing with captain Claude Giroux on an eight-year contract extension worth over $8 million a season, according to TSN Hockey Insider Pierre LeBrun.

Giroux, 25, has one year left on his current deal which pays him $5 million with a $3.75 million cap hit. He is set to become a restricted free agent after next season.

In 48 games with the Flyers last season, Giroux scored 13 goals and tallied 48 points.

He scored a career-high 28 goals and 93 points in the 2011-12 season and has 91 goals and 291 points in 333 career NHL games - all with the Flyers.

More to follow.

Yup... not a fan of 8 years, but if there's one guy on this team that deserves it, it's him.

Lock him up. It makes sense if it's in the Getzlaf/Perry range.

I'm guessing $8.25M for 8 years.

• Like 3

It is G so I am happy but perhaps $.5m to $1.0million too much? I see in many outsiders on other sites thinking this contract is bad. If Clarkson gets $6million tomorrow (and for the life of me don't know how) I don't know how G can't get $8m.

• Like 1

It is G so I am happy but perhaps $.5m to $1.0million too much? I see in many outsiders on other sites thinking this contract is bad. If Clarkson gets $6million tomorrow (and for the life of me don't know how) I don't know how G can't get $8m.

Then get it done today, Homer!

• Like 1

All I can say is thank god the new CBA does NOT allow contracts over 8 years in length, otherwise this would have been a 15 year full NMC deal!

Good thing we had the lockout, right? The contract limits are the only thing keeping it semi under control.

• Like 1

i just dont like this deal because if giroux starts having problems down the road like concussions, wearing down like briere, we'll be stuck with his big cap hit and this team wont have the money to make changes. it's the reason why the islanders are so bad because of the big deals with rick dipietro, they dont have the money to make changes.

this deal will hurt the Flyers

There's no guarantee Giroux will playing at the same level in 3-4 seasons

Back in 2005 a 7.5 cap hit for Lecavalier looked great; but it didn't look too good a couple yrs later

How can anyone complain about this? He's one of the best players in the NHL. He's only 25 and he's ours. Lock him up and show him the respect he deserves.

G!!!!!!!!!!!!!

best players in the nhl? compared to who crosby? ovie? i like giroux but if he's just staying just for money and doesnt produce, i wouldnt want to keep him, it's a big risk, plus a big cap hit, if you look at vinny he took less to play here, if giroux took less, than he seems like he wants to win rather than thinking about the money.

i just dont like this deal because if giroux starts having problems down the road like concussions, wearing down like briere, we'll be stuck with his big cap hit and this team wont have the money to make changes. it's the reason why the islanders are so bad because of the big deals with rick dipietro, they dont have the money to make changes.

You don't like this deal but you liked Bryzgalov's deal?

My main question is: where does Giroux finish out this contract?

:ph34r:/>

Yeah really it's like the Homer kiss of death. Every deal thy make is srutinized but there is risk to any player. You'd have to think tht this is a pretty solid deal and a safe bet. Perry could get hurt Getzlaf could get hurt thy could all struggle but they are worth the investment. You have to lock up your young players with huge ability and upside. If anyone on this team should get a deal like this its Giroux.

Complain about the Timmo deal and the Streit deal but I'm ok with this one. He's the future of the franchise.

• Like 1

best players in the nhl? compared to who crosby? ovie? i like giroux but if he's just staying just for money and doesnt produce, i wouldnt want to keep him, it's a big risk, plus a big cap hit, if you look at vinny he took less to play here, if giroux took less, than he seems like he wants to win rather than thinking about the money.

Vinny is also getting buyout money and he's had his huge pay day. Giroux hasn't. Vinny is 33 and Giroux is 8 years younger. By the time he is done with this contract he'll be Vinny's age. Apples to oranges.

• Like 1

Yeah really it's like the Homer kiss of death. Every deal thy make is srutinized but there is risk to any player. You'd have to think tht this is a pretty solid deal and a safe bet. Perry could get hurt Getzlaf could get hurt thy could all struggle but they are worth the investment. You have to lock up your young players with huge ability and upside. If anyone on this team should get a deal like this its Giroux.

Complain about the Timmo deal and the Streit deal but I'm ok with this one. He's the future of the franchise.

This hasn't happened yet, so I'm reserving specific judgement pending an actual announcement.

The NHL has managed to keep the top level salaries more or less level at around $8 million per for the past 15-20 years or so and these deals (Crosby, Malkin, Letang, etc.) will effectively set the market for the next 10. Not bad from the league's perspective.

My snarky point is that Richards (and Carter) were the "face(s) of the franchise" - in exactly the same position as Giroux - just a few years ago. Before they decided that the "face of the franchise" was a 35-year-old defenceman.

This organization's outlook on "the future" isn't exactly long-term or consistent.

Gross overpayment for a guy who isn't even top 5 in position in my opinion. I like Giroux, and think he's a very good player with potential, but he's just not great. Not yet. I'd rather a shorter and lower contract, make him earn/demonstrate the 8+ mil bracket.

I assume this comes with a standard NMC...

Gross overpayment for a guy who isn't even top 5 in position in my opinion. I like Giroux, and think he's a very good player with potential, but he's just not great. Not yet. I'd rather a shorter and lower contract, make him earn/demonstrate the 8+ mil bracket.

I just don't see it in Giroux's personality to coast after this deal. I think the guy is legit and I think he is that good or at least is on the cusp of being that great. He could use a pure scorer on his line though. Also if you look compared to the other guys in his pay grade he doesn't miss as many games to injury as them. He'll always be on the ice.

• Like 1

This hasn't happened yet, so I'm reserving specific judgement pending an actual announcement.

The NHL has managed to keep the top level salaries more or less level at around $8 million per for the past 15-20 years or so and these deals (Crosby, Malkin, Letang, etc.) will effectively set the market for the next 10. Not bad from the league's perspective.

My snarky point is that Richards (and Carter) were the "face(s) of the franchise" - in exactly the same position as Giroux - just a few years ago. Before they decided that the "face of the franchise" was a 35-year-old defenceman.

This organization's outlook on "the future" isn't exactly long-term or consistent.

Yes, it's amazing that they've kept the AAV as low as they have over the past decade. I mean, there were guys making more money back then per year than Crosby is now (Bill Guerin, anyone?).

But I do think Crosby is in a different league than Giroux, Getzlaf, Perry... yet they're receiving basically the same compensation. In a way, we can thank Crosby for signing such a long contract... it's going to be a psychological mark to break on an AAV. Malkin is above that, but he can justify it. How many others in the NHL can? Stamkos is close, but he's still not at the same level. Ovechkin has been there for a while, and was not playing even close to his salary for a few years. He seems back on track.

Anyway, tomorrow should be nuts. Seriously, in a world where Clarkson is rumoured to be getting $6M, things are bizarro.

Even $4M per for Briere is too much for what he brings at this point.

That's how it is now in the NHL. He is after all our best player. The 8 years cover 6 or 7 of his UFA years, we can haggle over money and years but is it worth pissing off your best player? I wouldn't. Look at what NJ did with Parise and they lost him for nothing. I know it might be different but I wouldn't take that chance.

• Like 1