Who are some of the dirtiest players you can think of?

Guest JR Ewing

So, who are some of the dirtiest players that come to mind? It can be a player from right now or he could be old as dirt and buried under 6 feet it. It doesn't matter.

I'll start with: Joe Hall

A pretty good offensive defenseman, but remembered a lot more for his on-ice antics. Well, maybe for dying from the Spanish Flu epidemic of 1919 (Stanley Cup was cancelled that year). Anyway.

In one game, after getting his face rearranged by Frank Patrick, Hall promptly turned around and beat the crap out of referee Rod Kennedy. Got into a stick swinging incident with Ken Randall that carved up each of them so badly, the police were called and both were arrested and charged, though the charges were later dropped. Hall didn’t pick his spots, constantly feuding with the tough players like Newsy Lalonde and Sprague Cleghorn. Hall was undoubtedly helped by the fact that he almost constantly was paired with equally (if not more) terrifying players. Over the years Hall’s teammates included guys like Bert Corbeau, and the incomparably scary Harry Mummery (to get an idea, picture Georges Laraque with Tiger Williams’ temperament in a league where the average player was 160 pounds).

Just try to imagine that kind of stuff happening in today's game.

JR

Edited by JR Ewing
  • Like 1

Ulf Samuelsson was the first person that came to mind. I'm not sure whether it's a good answer, but it was the first that came to mind when I saw "dirty player."

Actually liked the guy, though.

• Like 1

@ruxpin

Samuelsson is a pretty good name to come up with, I think. Made a career out of low hits, and there's probably lots of Bruins fans who still loathe for the Neely hit. In those days it was probably a toss-up as to who was hated more: Samuelsson or Bryan Marchment.

Tie Domi didn't like him:

JR

• Like 2

@JR Ewing I dunno about you guys, but one thing I really can't stand is a dirty goalie...a dirty player is one thing but when a goalie dirtily raps a player on the back of the knees, etc..I instantly lose all respect for him...a la Billy Smith, Tim Thomas, Mike Vernon...those 3 off the top of my head...if my memory serves me right, also Mike Smith?

• Like 1

Ulf Samuelsson was the first person that came to mind. I'm not sure whether it's a good answer, but it was the first that came to mind when I saw "dirty player."

Actually liked the guy, though.

Thank you. Ill never forgive that man for his hit on Neely.

• Like 1

@JR Ewing I dunno about you guys, but one thing I really can't stand is a dirty goalie...a dirty player is one thing but when a goalie dirtily raps a player on the back of the knees, etc..I instantly lose all respect for him...a la Billy Smith, Tim Thomas, Mike Vernon...those 3 off the top of my head...if my memory serves me right, also Mike Smith?

Then there was, Ron Hextall. ahah. Who was more Wild animal than goalie.

• Like 1

Dirtiest of all time. Hmmmm

Well Gordie Howe comes to mind. In the wonderful book about the history of the WHA Mark relates hearing his father tell a player,

"You don't have to fight a lot, just pick a few nationally televised games a year and find some poor schmuck and just destroy him and your reputation will be set, it will get you a couple of extra feet battling for the puck the rest of the year."

"Kronwall seems to have adapted that philosophy. A lot of the Pens and Flyer fans seem to think that all Kronner does is go around the ice like a human missle. Actually he just destroys some poor schmuck a couple of times a year and plays realgud hockey the rest of the time, but you have to have your head on a swivel when he is out there all the time so his couple of times serves its purpose.

Matt Cooke.

The Ghost of Bertuzzi

Niedermayer

Pronger. God ho I hated him early and then grew to love to hate him and finally respect his game.

Eddie Shore

Bobby Clarke

Ulfie

Chelios

That's about it this early in the morning, still on my first cup of coffee.

• Like 1

@

Haha...

Yeah: those are all guys who really had their dirty moments.

Sean Avery... He's the Eddie Stanky of the NHL. A clearly intelligent guy, but not liked because he was a straight jackass.

In 1950, Stanky was playing third for the Giants, when he came up with the same idea that Sean Avery later did: just as the pitch was about to be thrown, he started jumping up and down and waving his arms in an attempt to distract the batter. The umpires told him to cut that crap out, and after a week of him doing it, the league finally officially made a rule prohibiting it.

Or, there was 1945, where he came up with an idea to score from third on pretty much any fly ball. Before the ball was caught, he positioned himself several feet behind third base and started running so that he perfectly timed tagging up and was already in a dead sprint. There was no rule against, as far as Stanky figured it, so he was going to do it. The next thing you knew, a bunch of guys across the league were doing the same thing, so Major League Baseball closed that loophole after the season ended.

JR

Dirty goalie?

Almost can't blame Hextall for the Chelios one: he just naturally brought that out in people. A whole family of NHLers around him, he was the dirtiest, though Dennis had his moments (he was a pretty tough guy, actually). Grandpa Bryan Sr. was not dirty at all.

S'ok... Ron made up for it.

JR

Edited by JR Ewing

Going by down right "dirty" players, I will go more modern just due to that is where my knowledge base is......

1)Ulf Sammeulsson. Sometimes he was just down right mean. The last thing I ever wanted to see was that man wearing the O&B. It was later in his career and he had toned it down some but he was still not shy about ringing someone's bell if the chance arose.

2)Claude Lemieux. This guy is just a straight up prick.

3)Ti Domi. Domi was a coward at heart. He was always ready to be the third guy in or throw the flying elbow at an unsuspecting player.

4)Darcy Tucker.....trained in the school of cheap shots by Domi. He learned the lessons pretty well.

5)Raffi Torres. He always seems to be on the verge of ending someone's career with his flying elbows.

6)Bobby Clarke. Even though he is and always will be one of the greatest players to ever play the game, he was a samurai with his stick. The amount of stitches given out from that has to be in the thousands.......

Dirty goalie?

Almost can't blame Hextall for the Chelios one: he just naturally brought that out in people. A whole family of NHLers around him, he was the dirtiest, though Dennis had his moments (he was a pretty tough guy, actually). Grandpa Bryan Sr. was not dirty at all.

S'ok... Ron made up for it.

JR

Almost can't blame him for the Chelios one? Here's a reminder why Hextall went after Chelios. Chelios didn't get penalized for this brutal cheapshot.

• Like 1

Almost can't blame him for the Chelios one? Here's a reminder why Hextall went after Chelios. Chelios didn't get penalized for this brutal cheapshot.

Well.. You know... "Almost". lol

;)

JR

Remember the night Domi punched Ulfie? I thought that was hilarious.

Yeah, a youtube clip of that one was posted before. I don't really like cheapshots, but if anybody ever had it coming, it was him.

JR

Remember the night Domi punched Ulfie? I thought that was hilarious.

It is one of the only times I have seen in the NHL where a cheapshot was talked about like it was deserved. Some of the players suggested giving Domi a bonus cheque lol.

04sprague_cleghorn.jpg

This is Sprague Cleghorn. He was a magnificent puck rushing defenseman. His violent and psychopathic on-ice tendencies are legendary, especially after he was traded from Ottawa to Montreal. He made it his life's goal to make their lives a misery. He broke his leg prior to the 1918 season, and ended up being arrested after assaulting his wife with his crutches. In 1923, he went after the Sens' Lionel Hitchman and bashed his face so badly that he nearly incited a riot. For that one, Cleghorn was fined $200... By his own team. The next year he followed that up by going after Hitchman again, butt-ending him in the eye, and later took out Buck Boucher's knees. One time he beat the hell out of Newsy LaLonde (a tough guy himself) so badly, and continued to pummel LaLonde after he was out cold and lying on the ice, almost causing another riot. His career was dotted by cross-checks to the head and face, spearings, kneeings, butt-ends, running opponent's faces into the boards, as well as administering some of the worst beatings in the league, which is saying something for hockey in the 1920s. Along the way, Cleghorn may have even purposely cut Boucher's face with his skates.

Oh. And:

Vd3vBiC.jpg

JR

@JR Ewing The opening post and this Cleghorn post are stellar. I love learning stuff I had no previous knowledge of, I knew about the Spanish Flu and the cancellation of the finals in 1919, but have never heard of Joe Hall.....so thanks for that!!

04sprague_cleghorn.jpg

This is Sprague Cleghorn. He was a magnificent puck rushing defenseman. His violent and psychopathic on-ice tendencies are legendary, especially after he was traded from Ottawa to Montreal. He made it his life's goal to make their lives a misery. He broke his leg prior to the 1918 season, and ended up being arrested after assaulting his wife with his crutches. In 1923, he went after the Sens' Lionel Hitchman and bashed his face so badly that he nearly incited a riot. For that one, Cleghorn was fined $200... By his own team. The next year he followed that up by going after Hitchman again, butt-ending him in the eye, and later took out Buck Boucher's knees. One time he beat the hell out of Newsy LaLonde (a tough guy himself) so badly, and continued to pummel LaLonde after he was out cold and lying on the ice, almost causing another riot. His career was dotted by cross-checks to the head and face, spearings, kneeings, butt-ends, running opponent's faces into the boards, as well as administering some of the worst beatings in the league, which is saying something for hockey in the 1920s. Along the way, Cleghorn may have even purposely cut Boucher's face with his skates.

Oh. And:

Vd3vBiC.jpg

JR

Holy crap! Ill admit, I know little of Hockey beyond the 70's forward. This guy sounds like a maniac

• Like 1