2013-2014 Flyers Season Ticket Holder Townhall Recap

Guest Poulin20

Our humble forum is visited by Metzler, the best Flyer blogger of all time??? This is awesome, with so many great posters here, I'd imagine he gets a nice pulse of the Flyer fan base on here!! Pouls and Adams, you guys are the KINGS!!

• Like 1

@Flyskippy Welcome! It's a great group of posters here, very rare to see the puffing of the chest type of posts....it's a tight knit community that in general gets along and sticks to hockey. Kinda rare to see posters disagreeing on topics but not insulting each other, but it happens here, which is very cool.

@flyercanuck

Thanks! It's less "intense" here than my previous online hockey stops. I like it. I realize it's summer but the posts are about puck talk - not how one's opinion is superior to another's nor are they insulting.

Insulting posts, trolls, spam, all are not allowed here. ;) .

Which are some of the reasons why we built this forum.

Thanks, @jammer2

Disagreements are part and parcel of forums. Civil disagreements are too rare.

Back OT:

My wife and her mom are Flyers STH's. They have been since 2005 and my mom-in-law since 1968-69. So it was disheartening to them when they received no word from the team about the Town Hall Meeting. They received an email in July telling them to look out for more details, etc. but never knew about the date until they heard about it online. I hope the team makes it up to them somehow.

@flyercanuck

Thanks! It's less "intense" here than my previous online hockey stops. I like it. I realize it's summer but the posts are about puck talk - not how one's opinion is superior to another's nor are they insulting.

Welcome! I only joined last month but that was one of the big reasons I stayed, civil posters! (I don't go on the 'Nucks Facebook page anymore, it gets really disgusting.)

Was just reading Meltzer's blog and got redirected to here and after reading the recap I decided to sign up. Great piece Poulin20. Can't wait to check out the rest of the site.

Thanks and welcome to the fold. You will love talking hockey here with us!! I personally love the in game chats and the pickem contests during the season.

Thanks, @jammer2

Disagreements are part and parcel of forums. Civil disagreements are too rare.

Back OT:

My wife and her mom are Flyers STH's. They have been since 2005 and my mom-in-law since 1968-69. So it was disheartening to them when they received no word from the team about the Town Hall Meeting. They received an email in July telling them to look out for more details, etc. but never knew about the date until they heard about it online. I hope the team makes it up to them somehow.

Welcome Flyskippy! I love the avatar. The 1st thing I would do is check your junk box as Adamflyers ended up missing a lunch with the Flyers executives because his invitation went to his junk box. He was getting the emails and then 1 day out of the blue he stopped getting them and was find out information from me. Recently he checked his junk box and he found a years worth of STH related emails. Hopefully next year you can go and add your perspective as each group gets to hear unique tidbits of information depending on what is asked. Welcome again and enjoy your time here!

• Like 1

Welcome Flyskippy! I love the avatar. The 1st thing I would do is check your junk box as Adamflyers ended up missing a lunch with the Flyers executives because his invitation went to his junk box. He was getting the emails and then 1 day out of the blue he stopped getting them and was find out information from me. Recently he checked his junk box and he found a years worth of STH related emails. Hopefully next year you can go and add your perspective as each group gets to hear unique tidbits of information depending on what is asked. Welcome again and enjoy your time here!

Thanks, Poulin. Your screen name just so happens to be my favorite Flyer of all time. I wear my Poulin jersey to the occasional game still. I received it as a Christmas present about 5 years ago. It would've been nice having it when he actually played here, but it was a nice surprise present!

My avatar came about on Hockeybuzz when we were talking about the Comcast commercials that were on TV just after Briere was signed by the Flyers. It was proposed that Lancaster County should get their own cable and "Amish Cable" was discussed. Of course, Briere was selected as the spokesperson and voila! Amish Danny was created and then emailed to me for my new avatar. Prior to that was Roger Neilson sporting his HHOF ring.

I almost forgot: I will have my wife check her junk email folder. I hope that is the answer to our quandary. Of course, she is the STH. She worked with my mom, who knew she was a big Flyers fan. We met at a Flyers game in 2009. :) When our boys get a little older, we might increase the number seats from 2 to 3 or 4. That's provided we're not priced out by then. Thanks again!

Edited by Flyskippy

Well reported gentlemen, STH insider info is much appreciated here by all.

Welcome all and to all a good cheer.

The curators and founders of this site do a great job in supporting and servicing this board.

We humbly welcome all sincere and interested posters on these virtual premises.

We have intelligent folk here as well so feel free to exercise yourself in esoteric, idiosyncratic expressions here.

We fell victims to other Philly boards who never heard the calls for help and the virtual trolling malfeasence we were subjected to.

The ostentatious, non sequitur reply to our threads would bemoan many to leave for good...and here....what is this?

we have..............Sannnctuuarrry............

Bottom line just slow your roll, keep it real homie and it's all good.

There are a few team mantras out there that are being repeated by different team officials

1. It is hard to score in this league due to the cap

2. It is hard to win due to the cap

3. Just get into the playoffs and anything can happen

Great writeup guys. Thanks for it.

I will jump all over these statements from management, because they reflect the problem management has:

Flyers' Goals For Average

2.73 (9th)

3.12 (3rd)

3.08 (T-2nd)

2.80 (T - 7th)

3.12 (T - 4th)

2.95 (6th)

Yes, this team that has management that apparently believes it is "hard to score" because of the cap hasn't been out of the top 10 Goals For teams in the past six years.

Now, Goals Against Average:

2.87 (23rd)

2.70 (20th)

2.60 (11th)

2.68 (15th)

2.78 (T - 15th)

2.73 (18th)

3.58 (30th)

The problem, it would seem, isn't scoring enough it's stopping the puck. Much like a certain baseball GM reacted to his team failing in the playoffs because they couldn't hit enough by strengthening pitching, the Flyers seem to continually be addressing a problem - scoring - that doesn't exist while giving short shrift to a problem that does - stopping the puck.

One might point out that the team was steadily improving in actually stopping the puck when management decided to blow the whole thing up and restructure around a goalie because being 11th in the league in GAA was a "problem" that simply had to be addressed with a franchise-crippling move that could only be erased by losing half a season of hockey. In the two years thereafter, the team dropped into the lowest third in GAA.

But will a team that believes it's "hard to score because of the cap" be able to address the real problem effectively?

As for the "get into the playoffs" mantra, who are the real "surprise" Finalists in the post-Cap era?

We can go with Carolina and Edmonton in year 1.

Anaheim over Ottawa

Red Wings over Pittsburgh

Pittsburgh over Red Wings

Chicago over Flyers

Bruins over Canucks

Kings over Devils

Chicago over Bruins

That's five out of sixteen "surprise" Finalists, two of whom won the Cup. (Let's also throw in that LA added two important cogs of a Finals run from just two seasons before).

.312 is a great average in baseball, but a pretty poor way to evaluate whether "just making the playoffs and anything can happen" is a valid theory.

.250 is a pretty middling baseball average, and certainly not a stat I would use to validate a "just make the playoffs" position.

I'd go with the 75% chance of being a team that is expected to be in the Final winning the Cup.

Then again, I'm not blaming the woes of a team that spends to the cap limit every year on the cap restricting our ability to make moves.