Flyers have the best fans in NHL?

Flyingswede

I dont live in USA, nor watching the games live. But when I hear swedish players talk about NHL almost everyone says flyers fans are noisy at arena and dedicated and know the game. I was checking this forum and the other teams threads... Very many hade like 30-40 threads, and then there was Detroit with 136 and then there was flyers with stunning 2,600 threads! OMG.

• Like 1

1) The reason why there are so many Flyer Posts on this site is b/c most of us came from another forum that was solely for the flyers. Probably 90% of us here are flyers fans as a result.

2) While the Flyers are notorious for having some "crazy/rabid" fans.... I would say that there have been MANY times over the past 5-10 years that the Wach/First Union/Wells Fargo... center has sounded like a funeral was going on. Not that we've had a ton to cheer about recently, but it seems like many of the passionate fans are being pushed out to make way for more of a 'business' man type person... high prices, etc. These people are not going to be as loud as your average blue collar fan.

IMO, there are more VOCAL/LOUD fans in many other cities. Winnipeg, Edmonton, Chicago, Montreal,... I've even heard the Predators' crowd get pretty loud.

Just my 2cents

Edited by fishbulb
  • Like 4

Yeah, The Flyers play last season left not much room for cheering but I will still stack Flyers Fans as some of the most knowledgeable and faithful as any team short of The Leafs ( and Flyers fans definitely carry the edge on knowledge ;) ). There are several teams that had louder fans last year but in a shortened injury ridden season, I will allow it as a horrible nightmare that is over. The Flyers have added some strong veterans to go with a mix of young talent that should be fun to watch for years to come. There is a reason that you continue to hear players want to play here. Ok, O&B glasses firmly in place and I have the koolade within reach. GO FLYERS!!!

2) While the Flyers are notorious for having some "crazy/rabid" fans.... I would say that there have been MANY times over the past 5-10 years that the Wach/First Union/Wells Fargo... center has sounded like a funeral was going on. Not that we've had a ton to cheer about recently, but it seems like many of the passionate fans are being pushed out to make way for more of a 'business' man type person... high prices, etc. These people are not going to be as loud as your average blue collar fan.

I totally agree with that. As a former season ticket holder at the Spectrum it was a totally different crowd. The Spectrum fans were more blue collar, die hard fans who were passionate about the team and loved the game. The building also matched the crowd. The building was dark, dreart, reeked of urine on the third level but is was LOUD and an extremely intimidating place to play. When JJ Daignault scored OT winner in the finals it sounded like i was next to a jet as so loud you couldn't hear yourself think.

The new building basically priced out the die hard blue collar fan and replaced them with more of a business crowd. There are also a lot more "comped" tickets in the new building versus the old. One thing that would frustrate the hell out of me at the new building was people talking on their damn cell phones during a game. Not that the technology existed at the Spectrum but you would have had someone take it and throw or it would be meaningless as you would have trouble hearing your conversation.

Now I will say that the new building rivals the Spectrum come playoff time. When Primeau scored the OT winner against the Bolts the place was shaking it was so loud. But on a game to game basis and due to league dynamics we will never see the old crowds like at the Spectrum. It's sad as the NHL is missing out on a generation of fans. As a child you went to a Flyers game you were hooked. While still expensive it was affordable. Now if you have more than one child forget it. The league has to hope the kids watch on TV and grow to love the sport; but nothing like live.

• Like 2

. When JJ Daignault scored OT winner in the finals it sounded like i was next to a jet as so loud you couldn't hear yourself think.

I still say the building literally rocked--I felt it move under my feet!

I do remember feeling anger at Spectrum playoff crowds for the "stuffed shirt" effect, even though the top tier--like you say--kept it rowdy. As the Flyers moved toward the Finals, crowds got more... serious? You could tell the people in the building had more in their checking accounts, let's say that.

I still for the life of me cannot figure out the lame cheer on Ilkka Sinisalo's game one winner in overtime against the Canadiens in the Eastern Conference Finals of 1987. Sinisalo took like a third poke at a puck that goalie Brian Hayward (Roy too scared) tried to cover up, and indeed covered from the referee's view. I felt certain that the referees would wave it off, but they let it stand and the Flyers won a game that the Canadiens owned (see the drubbing of two nights later). The fans kind of walked out with a theater clap. I went nuts! I couldn't believe that a.) the Flyers didn't get screwed by the refs and have the goal waved off, and b.) that they had won a game that the Canadiens had physically owned. That kind of indifference annoyed me--especially that fans left quietly.

• Like 1

That kind of indifference annoyed me--especially that fans left quietly.

It's possible that the fans realized exactly what happened: the Flyers stole a game that refs should have called the other way. That is some seriously unknown territory right there; the fans didn't really know how to respond and kept it quiet lest the refs reverse themselves, even post game.

Agree w/ Yave for the most part but I would not put the Rangers fans up at the top.

I would say the RWs have the best fans in the US but definitely would put Flyers fans up there with the BlackHawks and Bruins. The Flyers are a knowledgable fanbase and understand the game of hockey. Just go down to DC or to Pitt and watch a hockey game and you will realize how bad fans "understand" the game.

This is not to start an argument w/ our resident Pens fans but please, for heaven's sake, dont even try to make an argument that Pens fans even belong in this discussion...

Edited by murraycraven

Candadiens- Best in the game

Leafs fans- most rabid

Wings Fans- Best in the USA

Flyers fans- up there to be sure, but BlackHawks, Bruins and Rags fans are right with them

Leaf fans -most rabid? So we're NOT talking about AT the game right? Cause there might not be a worse arena in the league for suits. At least half the crowd at a Leaf game cares more about sushi, fruity martinis and texting than they do the game. It's a crying shame what corporations have done to live sporting events.

• Like 1

It's kinda funny when Edmonton gets mentioned in these types of threads. Growing up, the arena was called "Northlands Mausoleum" because it was so quiet. After the glory days things changed. By the time 1997 arrived, the Oilers had been out of the playoffs for five years, all of the greats had left town, and (probably just as importantly in this regard) the game was being sold quite differently. Previously, the building was quiet as people took their seats. The pre-game stuff was simply anthems, an announcement of the lineups, and then puck drop. By this time, there was loud music, laser shows, anthems, etc, all pumping everybody up before and during the game.

In 1997, the Oilers played Dallas in the opening round of the playoffs, and it was a mis-match. Dallas had a much better roster and they had Ken Hitchcock who knew how to strangle the life out of a game. VERY well coach hockey club. In game 2, Bryan Marchment had been knocked unconscious on a freak play where he crashed into the penalty box just as the door was being opened as Guy Carbonneau was ready to step on to the ice. It was an ugly and frightening site to see happen to any player...

In game three, the Stars were playing their A-game, and simply left no opportunity for the Oilers to cash anything. There was no room for skating, passing, shooting or anything. The fans (myself included, since I was there) were utterly silent. With a little over 4 minutes left in the 3rd period, and the Stars up 3-0, the in-house camera centered on Marchment, in the pressbox due to his injury, and the crowd gave him a cheer. The camera remained on him, and the cheering grew louder and louder. Deafening stuff. CBC, btw, completely missed all of that stuff with the crowd and Marchment, but it was there, and the microphones didn't do the volume level justice. I had a headache for two days after.

And... Well... Youtube helps tell the story well:

Scroll ahead to 12:40. youtube and HF don't play nicely when you try to set it for a specific time.

(if you have time, watch the entire re-cap of the series, as it was absolutely thrilling and classic stuff. Great series.)

When Kelly Buchberger scored the goal in OT, the place really erupted. It was the first playoff game in town in five years, and in that time, we'd watched the greatest player in the world be sold off, and a great dynasty stripped down for parts. I guess it all came out, and it was so loud in there. People kept cheering and screaming. As we left, in the stairwells, on the train platform, in the trains. Everywhere. I didn't see its like again until Spring 2006, when the Oilers made it back to the Finals.

Edmonton belongs in that conversation now, but I think we took things for granted in "the good old days".

JR

Edited by JR Ewing

The fans up here in Boston are really good fans too...they are really educated ( a ton of kids play hockey in stead of t-ball)...they actually have respect for flyers fans though they hate the leafs and habs as we hate the devils and rangers and pens...awesome experience being up here in Boston fo the playoffs

I think the Flyers and Leaf fan bases have the same problem. Absolutely rabid fans get forced out of the building by the suits, and the result is a less than stellar home ice advantage. Man, if the *real* fans had access instead of the big corporate suits, both arenas would be outright crazy!!!

For my money, the Jets have the loudest and most active/rabid/crazy fans in the actual arena. I swear, that place is deafening when the Jets score or a fight breaks out.

• Like 1

@jammer2... I suspect that is what happens when clubs price tickets at $100 a stub for the nosebleeds. The raucus crowd that used to fill the Spectrum simply cant afford to go to games let alone take their family. The whole corporate atmosphere down at the WFC stinks in my opinion. Even during playoff games it gets quiet in that buidling...

I wish the Spectrum was still around b/c that place would absolutely rock & roll.

@murraycraven

I used to go to plenty of leaf games. I loved going to watch different teams, and always went when Philly was in town. Over the last decade the Leafs barely had an AHL calibre club, to go along with the most expensive tickets in the league. Pretty hard to justify forking out that kind of money for that quality of hockey. Tickets, over an hour drive for me, parking, dinner, food, maybe a beer, it ends up being a $3-400 night. Thats closing in on season tickets for my local junior team which is a way better product than the Leafs have been icing, and it's less than 10 minutes from home.

• Like 2

I hear you FC... that is a crazy amount to pay! Truthfully, I take my son to one game a year b/c I live about a hour away and it is too expensive. I love going to games but just cant justify the price anymore. Luckily, we still go to some ECHL games and while the hockey is not as good it is still entertaining and fun for the kids - and affordable.

I would rather save my money and watch Jr's too if I were in your position. Every time I am at the WFC it makes me realize how much I hate the buidling. It is too quiet most of the time and too impersonable. Back in the day I used to go to a ton of games but after having kids it is just too darn expensive.

Edited by murraycraven

We would have done it 2010, but we still didn't believe the game was over....still didn't until I went home and watched the replay

Then again, I think most Flyers fans were still in disbelieve that they even got there.