New lines and D pairings?

Guest JackStraw

According to Carchidi, these were the combos at practice:

Claude Giroux centering Scott Hartnell and Wayne Simmonds.

Vinny Lecavalier centering Brayden Schenn and Jake Voracek.

Sean Couturier centering Max Talbot and Matt Read.

Adam Hall centering Zac Rinaldo and Jay Rosehill.

Defense: Kimmo Timonen-Luke Schenn; Braydon Coburn-Nick Grossmann; Andrej Meszaros-Mark Streit.

Not necessarily what I would have thought, but interesting.

So we went out and spent $20M to play Streit on the third line with Mez ?

As far as the forwards go all three lines on paper should be good no matter how you juggle the pieces.

The difference to me isn't the lines but can they play together as units of 5 on the ice.

I see the first line helping out the rotation after PP1 but that is about it.  Read and Lecavaier were about the only things going and now he splits them up and puts Read on the 3rd line?  Put Simmonds on the 3rd, Read on the 2nd and Vorecek back up on the first. 

Simmonds has hustle and I like his game but doesn't have the hands to play 5 on 5 with G in my opinion.

@ hf101 I see it as Cobourn and Grossman as the 5/6 men in the rotation. I actually don't mind the D pairing assuming most will get the same 5 on 5 ice time.

Hmm, kinda strange. Giroux is saddled with coupla grinders.

I'd move Hartnell to the 3rd line, and move VOracek back up with Giroux.

Simmer/G/Voracek

Read/Lecavalier/Schenn

Hartnell/Couturier/Rinaldo

ROsehill/Hall/Talbot

• Like 2

Mesz and Steit together!?!....  Opponents must be licking their chops!!! 

Those 2 have stunk this year so far.  I didn't expect Streit to be a defensive wall, but come on... he's been horrible.  Add that to the fact that he's added nothing offensively.

I don't understand why Hartnell is on any line above the third.  It is so apparent that he is far behind the other top 6 forwards in skating ability.  I like Brelic's lines.  I'd also like to see them try:

Read/Giroux/Voracek

Simmonds/Lecavalier/Schenn
Hartnell/Couturier/Talbot

Rosehill/Hall/Rinaldo

• Like 1

@brelic 

I think your lines are much better thought out than Berube's.  And Streit on the third pairing?  The man is your best puck moving defenseman by a long shot right now...  so yeah, waste that payroll!   lol

Yeah, watching G with Hartnell and Simmer on the PP just didn't really inspire any confidence for me. They had a couple decent looks early, but you only need one of them. The other winger should be someone with creativity. Voracek fits the bill, but they like him on the point. Was he on the point most of last year on the PP? Can't remember... we were 3rd at 21.6%, so we did something right.

In any scenario, I think Hartnell is a 3rd line player now. And I would reward Rinaldo with 3rd line minutes for a game or two. He's earned it.

As for Streit, yeah, that makes no sense.

• Like 1

Defense: Kimmo Timonen-Luke Schenn; Braydon Coburn-Nick Grossmann; Andrej Meszaros-Mark Streit.

Lines dont matter if nobody plays

Yeah, watching G with Hartnell and Simmer on the PP just didn't really inspire any confidence for me. They had a couple decent looks early, but you only need one of them. The other winger should be someone with creativity. Voracek fits the bill, but they like him on the point. Was he on the point most of last year on the PP? Can't remember... we were 3rd at 21.6%, so we did something right.

That top PP unit of Giroux-Simmonds-Hartnell-Jake-Timonen was together when Hartnell wasn't hurt last year, and back into the season prior. It might be the only thing that Laviolette didn't do much juggling with.

That top PP unit of Giroux-Simmonds-Hartnell-Jake-Timonen was together when Hartnell wasn't hurt last year, and back into the season prior. It might be the only thing that Laviolette didn't do much juggling with.

Maybe it can work then. But PP is a different beast than a regular line. I feel much better with G and Voracek as two players capable of moving the puck up ice. Not so much with Simmonds and Hartnell, who will mostly dump and chase.

• Like 1

@fishbulb @jammer2

I haven't seen Striet as being "horrible " or a "disaster in his own end". admittedly i have only watched 4 periods of hockey this season, so there is a chance that when i am not watching he does bonehead stuff , but so far, he's been fine from my viewing experience. 

I don't get it, really I haven't seen him make a stupid turn over, i have seen  him get beat in the corners but that happens to everyone, i think people are bitching based upon reputation and contract and not what they're seeing on the the ice. i think he's been decent.

Edited by mojo1917
  • Like 1

No,no ,no....

Giroux should be with Voracek and Read

Lecavalier with Hartnell and Schenn

Couts with Simmer and Talbot

Where is Homers magic man Newbury he called up?

Get Rosehill out and put Newbury in.

• Like 1

Not what I would do.   I would leave the Lecavalier line exactly as shown above but would call it the first line.

I would get fat ass Hartnell off a scoring line.   I know with the money he makes he should be on a scoring line, but I'm not the dumb ass that gave him that money.

Lacavalier, Schenn, Voracek

Giroux, Read, Simmonds

Courturier, Hartnell, Talbot   (I really don't like Talbot on this line.  I just don't like him with Courturier.  I'd be tempted to move Rinaldo here)

Hall, Rinaldo, Rosehill/Newberry/Pretzel Guy

The defense is a cluster.

1st pair:  Streit/Schenn 

2nd pair:  Timonen/Coburn

3rd pair:  Grossman/Gus

I'm aware Streit's defense sucks, but I put him up there for the offense and the stretch pass we're missing since we ran Matt Carle out of town.  (I'll just take a moment to repeat that I liked him the entire time he was here).    Timonen is too old for first pair minutes plus first unit power play.  He'll last better and will maintain strength longer at the second pair.   Plus, Coburn seems to play better when paired with Timo.

There is nothing to be gained by playing Mezarros at this point.  I know we're trying to shop him, but he's playing so poorly that this aim is not being helped.   Sit him in the press box and play the kid.  We could use his outlet pass and playmaking ability a lot more than anything Mez can provide at this point (NOTHING!).

1st unit power play:   Lecavalier, Giroux (on wing), Voracek, Streit, Gus

2nd unit power play:  Couturier, Schenn, Simmonds, Timonen, Coburn

• Like 2

Timonen is too old for first pair minutes plus first unit power play.

okay someone else said it first.

this. one thousand times, our viking is starting to look creaky. he needs a lesser role where he can be more effective.

don't tell polaris i wrote this....*shifty eyes* he'll probably find out anyway.

• Like 1

Not what I would do.   I would leave the Lecavalier line exactly as shown above but would call it the first line.

I would get fat ass Hartnell off a scoring line.   I know with the money he makes he should be on a scoring line, but I'm not the dumb ass that gave him that money.

Giroux, Read, Simmonds

Courturier, Hartnell, Talbot   (I really don't like Talbot on this line.  I just don't like him with Courturier.  I'd be tempted to move Rinaldo here)

I'm aware Streit's defense sucks, but I put him up there for the offense and the stretch pass we're missing since we ran Matt Carle out of town.  (I'll just take a moment to repeat that I liked him the entire time he was here).    Timonen is too old for first pair minutes plus first unit power play.  He'll last better and will maintain strength longer at the second pair.   Plus, Coburn seems to play better when paired with Timo.

There is nothing to be gained by playing Mezarros at this point.  I know we're trying to shop him, but he's playing so poorly that this aim is not being helped.   Sit him in the press box and play the kid.  We could use his outlet pass and playmaking ability a lot more than anything Mez can provide at this point (NOTHING!).

I think you are right and dead on...why not take Roo off the 1st line.  Let him come back to his senses.  There is no written rule stating just because you wear the "C" doesn't mean you must be on the top line.... I think that would be a good move.

Giroux, Read, Simmonds

Harts face would match his hair if you stuck him on the 3rd line...lol

Harts face would match his hair if you stuck him on the 3rd line...lol

Well, I'd actually stick him in the press box or the ice cream stand, but I think it would get me fired fairly quickly given the fact moron GM gave him such a big raise and moron owner doesn't want his money wasted (despite evidence to the contrary)

Well, I'd actually stick him in the press box or the ice cream stand, but I think it would get me fired fairly quickly given the fact moron GM gave him such a big raise and moron owner doesn't want his money wasted (despite evidence to the contrary)

Ice Cream stand would be funny, Flyers could stick a red nose and big squeaky shoes on Hartnell.

Edited by FreakinFlyersFan
  • Like 1