Who stays and who goes....aka..trades we all know will occur sooner than later....

pilldoc

again..saw this on the HF Boards and wanted to share.....thoughts?  some of my comments are in red.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1518793

Which Players Should be Traded and Not Traded
It is still way too early to throw in the towel, but it is very plausible that pretty soon this team may be out of the playoff contention. This begs the questions who deserves or should be traded:

1. Timmonen - he could probably yield a good prospect and draft prospect. He is not part of the future of this team. (who will take him at his age?)

2. Coburn - he is overrated and sucks. I cannot wait to see him wear another jersey. (Agreed...#3 or #4 d-man at best now)
3. Simmonds - he is highly overrated. He can score but is an awful passer and often loses board battles despite his size. In my opinion, he is a third line player - definitely not top 6. If we can get an excellent prospect back it is worth considering. (my gut reaction says no way..he is a Flyer.)

4. Meszaros- whatever we get back is a plus. Injuries ruined his development and possibly his career. (Agreed...injuries have ruined his career)

5. Grossman - he is a decent defenseman who is highly overrated because our defense is so pathetic. He is not a good passer and has no offensive ability. We do not need 6 stay at home defenseman. Schenn is a much better defenseman who plays a similar game.

6. Talbot - another fan favorite who should go depending on the return. If we can get a second for him or a good prospect he should be traded. He is only signed for 2 more years and if the return is good he should be traded. (Good locker room guy..hate to see him go..BUT..if we can get something decent then I pull the trigger)

Players who should not be traded.

1. Couturier - he is 20 years old. Everybody needs to chill out and be patient with him.

2. Voracek - he is a special player who is having a horrible season.

3. Giroux - see above.

4. Lecavalier - he is a great player on a bad team. Hopefully we can turn it around next season. (Some will disagree with me, but I say he is tradable. He has a moster contract that will eat cap space.  I disagreed from day 1 with this signing.  Simply a commodity the Flyers cannot afford)

5. Mason - he has played very well despite the team in front of him.

6. B. Schenn - he is still young and getting better. We need to be patient.

7. L. Schenn - he is very physical, can pass and has some offensive acumen. Not a great player but very solid.

8. Read - he is a hardworker who made the NHL by sheer will. He can shoot, pass the puck, play a 2 way game etc.. He should be kept.

Coburn has to go, last season and this season, he has been guilty of so many turn overs... Again tonight for Crosby's goal, and that took any momentum the Flyers had going on...

Meszaros, sure but who will take him??

Get rid of Streit as well, and then bring in some younger Dman and more reliable ones at that...

The Flyers' blue has look pretty dreadful, ever since they lost Pronger...

Do we really want Holmgren making ANY trades? They might as well make the change to Hexy now. He was brought here for the job anyways. Nice time to make the change. Week long break in the schedule.

I doubt it will happen, but I so completely agree with every word of that.

Coburn has to go, last season and this season, he has been guilty of so many turn overs... Again tonight for Crosby's goal, and that took any momentum the Flyers had going on...

Meszaros, sure but who will take him??

Get rid of Streit as well, and then bring in some younger Dman and more reliable ones at that...

The Flyers' blue has look pretty dreadful, ever since they lost Pronger...

Welcome darthbal.  Good first post.

I don't have much problem with Streit, although I know defensive coverage is not his forte.   I want to keep him this year and maybe next and then go ahead and put marbles on his stairs.

But I really wanted to second your complaint about Coburn.  That Crosby goal was a result of a blind Coburn pass right into his own slot.  I know he had a Pen on top of him and maybe the Pen caused that--I'm not sure. I only saw it live and one quick replay--but if the Pen didn't do it, you just can't have a defenseman having that kind of brain fart.   He has to go.   He's really doing nothing of any value out there.   

I don't have much problem with Streit, although I know defensive coverage is not his forte.   I want to keep him this year and maybe next and then go ahead and put marbles on his stairs.

But I really wanted to second your complaint about Coburn.  That Crosby goal was a result of a blind Coburn pass right into his own slot.  I know he had a Pen on top of him and maybe the Pen caused that--I'm not sure. I only saw it live and one quick replay--but if the Pen didn't do it, you just can't have a defenseman having that kind of brain fart.   He has to go.   He's really doing nothing of any value out there.   

Sorry but that was funny as hell thanks for that laugh before bed.

These guys are sad...except Mason i have zero issue with him......HUGE upgade over Bryz without a doubt. Goodnight. :D

Edited by OccamsRazor
  • Like 1

Thanks ruxpin...

The way I see it, whether Coburn had a Pen on  him or not, it is not an excuse, he should not have and should know to not send the puck in front of the net. He should have skate a couple more strides behind the net and send it along the boards...

But that was just tonight, last year he did to many times, and I would not be surprised that he has done it several times already...

As for Streit, I suppose we could give him the year; but I still would prefer to have someone younger and with a more accurate shot...

On a different note, not necessarily a trade here... But what about removing the 'C'  from Giroux??? Now I am not saying that cause I think he is a bad captain or leader; but rather to maybe remove some of the pressure that is on his shoulder. He hasn't been the same since Lavy labeled him the "best player in the world"... Just an opinion...

Hartnell, TImonen and Lecavalier have no movement clauses.

Grossmann, Simmonds and Coburn have modified NTCs.

They didn't sign VLC (and vice versa) to deal him in year one.

Meszaros is an easy "deal for skate sharpener" and Talbot will have more value at the deadline.

A lot of players will. If they don't do something in the standings, I can see Read, Voracek and a couple of "modified NTC" players dealt (simply based on ability to move). I can see Timonen being dealt at the deadline to "a contender" - but his salary is a big hit on the cap for a lot of teams. 

Neither Schenn should be feeling secure, either.

I have a feeling that 20, if not more; teams out there are looking at what is happening here, and laughing. Internally, of course. 

(Besides, so many have Flyer

Alumni, they won't say it publicly -- after all that annual carnival invite is something they don't want to lose.)

Trade? Sure. 

Why, in October; would most teams offer "even or better" as a trade for any of our roster? That is not to say there is a void of talent... but as per the calendar, it is NHL week ... 3.

Has anyone seen Laviolette since his dismissal? Snowden only wishes he had that type of protection. 

This is not the post I wanted as my "return to the board"  But wow...

• Like 1

But that was just tonight, last year he did to many times, and I would not be surprised that he has done it several times already...

As for Streit, I suppose we could give him the year; but I still would prefer to have someone younger and with a more accurate shot...

To the first sentence, he has.   Coburn is just flat out horrible.    At the same time, he's being asked to play 24+ minutes a game.  Playing him at all is curious, but giving him that kind of time is just flat out nuts--until you look at the rest of the defensive lineup and realize you'd have to play one of THEM.

Streit.  He actually has a terrific shot (it's not like he's here for the defense).   But you're not going to see it much when the Flyers can't work the zone well enough to get the point a decent shot and now two coaches keep putting him on the 2nd power play pairing.

I don't at all understand Coburn's ice time and I don't get the 2nd pairing thing on the power play.   And that's just the start of the list of things I don't get.

Vinny's monster contract is why he isn't tradeable, who would take that on aside from the fool who signed him to it. He's had a helluva career and he still can be productive, but I hated that signing from the start.

Wasn't he offered more money elsewhere? In a few places actually. He might be tradable. 

Also, I think Talbot could get you a 1st round pick. 

Gone, put out to the pasture, Old Yeller'd, etc.

Timmonen is old and utter dog $hit this year. He will yield nothing. Let his crap contract expire from the pressbox for all I care.

Schenn (Luke) is trash. This Tronno recycled pylon is always out of position and looks like skating optional. 

Coburn has the tools and looks at times like he wants to play, but for some reason just won't put it together

Hartnell nuff said. F the locker room the need W's

Talbot is the biggest overrated nothing that I have ever witnessed. Lost his grit, has no offensive skill and very bad even at a limited role

Read way, way way overrated. Work ethic may be there, but he is a dime a dozen player. 

Keep

Simmonds: when he is on his game he is a bull on ice. He can contribute offensively and can play on any of the top three lines. 

B. Schenn: He is the only one on this team that can find the back of the net. 

Voracek: he needs to get his motor running, but I have faith that he'll be fine

Giroux: He really needs to produce. Seriously he needs to before this monster contract kicks in. Right now he looks like hammered $hit. 

Rinaldo: he is full of energy and a great middle weight guy. Adds toughness to the lineup.

Couturier: he is actually starting to come around and looks like he may progress into a decent prospect. 

Mason: Looks good so far and it's been awhile since I said that about a Flyers netminder. 

The rest the jury is out on in my book, but Giroux could easily move to the later, hit the bricks list. 

Gone, put out to the pasture, Old Yeller'd, etc.

Timmonen is old and utter dog $hit this year. He will yield nothing. Let his crap contract expire from the pressbox for all I care.

Schenn (Luke) is trash. This Tronno recycled pylon is always out of position and looks like skating optional. 

Coburn has the tools and looks at times like he wants to play, but for some reason just won't put it together

Hartnell nuff said. F the locker room the need W's

Talbot is the biggest overrated nothing that I have ever witnessed. Lost his grit, has no offensive skill and very bad even at a limited role

Read way, way way overrated. Work ethic may be there, but he is a dime a dozen player. 

Keep

Simmonds: when he is on his game he is a bull on ice. He can contribute offensively and can play on any of the top three lines. 

B. Schenn: He is the only one on this team that can find the back of the net. 

Voracek: he needs to get his motor running, but I have faith that he'll be fine

Giroux: He really needs to produce. Seriously he needs to before this monster contract kicks in. Right now he looks like hammered $hit. 

Rinaldo: he is full of energy and a great middle weight guy. Adds toughness to the lineup.

Couturier: he is actually starting to come around and looks like he may progress into a decent prospect. 

Mason: Looks good so far and it's been awhile since I said that about a Flyers netminder. 

The rest the jury is out on in my book, but Giroux could easily move to the later, hit the bricks list. 

I am with you on this list Bert...   Although, i am beyond annoyed w/ Giroux right now.   If he does not turn it around just think of 8 more years at 8M...  Hmmm?

Do we really want Holmgren making ANY trades? They might as well make the change to Hexy now. He was brought here for the job anyways. Nice time to make the change. Week long break in the schedule.

Holmgren should have been never hired for the position.  They guy is incompetent.  The state the team is at right now is a direct result of his incompetence.  No argument there,

Problem is Snider won't do it.  He *may* talk him into resigning (which is what I firmly believe has happened to Clarke). It is pathetic.